Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 12:46   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Another location can be the roof, after fitting an appropriate carrier. Will affect the aerodynamics a bit though. The Safari roof can take not one but two spare wheels.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:11   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
Steer howdy buddy?
A lot of SUVs have a spare mounted on the tail gate with no rattles whatsoever.
Check again - most of the foreign SUVs have moved to additional frames to hold the spare. Very few mount it on the door as such. Some of the frames blend with the exterior, and in some cases the frame is given a macho look by adding a spare fuel tank holder on it (as in Nissan Patrol).

IMHO mounting directly on the tailgate, regardless of how strong your hinges are, is asking for trouble - sooner or later.

Quote:
My truck goes to TASS every fortnight without fail to re-adjust the tail gate for rattle and I'm at my wits end.
I've had a tailgate issue just once, and that is when one of the spacers between the door and the frame came loose after some bad driving on the Silent Valley driveout. No complaints on that front, therefore I'm really not looking to remove rattles but to improve vehicle dynamics & rear vision.

Quote:
If you do find a way to relocate the spare wheel please do let us know.
For the time being I'm planning to move the door mount LOWER down so that it clears my rear view. The spare can easily go lower down into the rear bumper gap for the number plate. I then need to figure out a way to move the number plate (and its lighting) to either the spare cover or higher up on the tailgate itself. This is my current plan and I need to find someone to execute it.

The other, easier but less aesthetic option is to remove one of your rear jump seats (useless anyway), remove the plastic cladding behind it, and to weld on a spare holder to one side.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th September 2007 at 13:19.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:11   #1023
BHPian

One can definitely go for the roof and then pray that he never has to fetch the spare well from up there .
Old 18th September 2007, 13:44   #1024
Senior - BHPian

If one is ready to sacrifice some boot space then, remove the jumpseat on the left. Fix the wheel holder frame there and mount the wheel vertically there @cost of sacrificing space with the width of the tyre, some view from the rear left quaterglass.
I am sure you might have noticed, the PM's safari fleet on TV, they all have the similar mounts.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:08   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Check again - most of the foreign SUVs have moved to additional frames to hold the spare. Very few mount it on the door as such. Some of the frames blend with the exterior, and in some cases the frame is given a macho look by adding a spare fuel tank holder on it (as in Nissan Patrol).
Exactly, I expect TATA to think over something like this... an additional frame to support the spare wheel and not mount it directly on the door.
As far as overall visibility goes it can be mounted lower than present position, but no under the floor, unless TATA have done some major changes to the back side, which without the spare wheel would bland, straight and will also take away the browny points from the appeal of this SUV.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:00   #1026
Senior - BHPian

whats the point in these lame discussions, 2.2l is out in a few days and TATA would have made all the changes they thought necessary and out into production.

Perhaps if not incorporated now, you can send these suggestions for the new SUV project by TATA.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:41   #1027
BHPian

guys, i asked the streling noida today abt 2.2 launch, and they sir it is the plans thy make same as 1 lakh car. So can some one tell me the real story, this thrad has become too long now.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:48   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Dont know, but this might be useful for you guys.
Old 18th September 2007, 18:47   #1029
Senior - BHPian

What is this Pic ?? I hope not the new Safari Dicor 2.2 !! Looks like one of the PM's cars with all these antena & wiring !!
Old 18th September 2007, 19:24   #1030
BHPian

Is ABS and Airbags standard on the 2.2l safari ?
Old 18th September 2007, 19:30   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dont know, but this might be useful for you guys.
Think this is old Safari. See the tail lamps, its old version one.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:18   #1032
BHPian

Where ??

Steeroid : Wonder where to get a neat job done in Bangalore ?
Old 19th September 2007, 00:07   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
If one is ready to sacrifice some boot space then, remove the jumpseat on the left. Fix the wheel holder frame there and mount the wheel vertically there @cost of sacrificing space with the width of the tyre, some view from the rear left quaterglass.
I am sure you might have noticed, the PM's safari fleet on TV, they all have the similar mounts.
I believe I had seen a thread sometime back which had the spy pic of the 2.2 Safari taken by fellow member Tushky. I think we are debating here a lot about how the final placing of spare wheel will be( with also the news that there is a new designer spare wheel this time ) - may be we can just revert to those pics to find out really whats the truth.
I tried doing a search to get that thread but looks like I am bad at searching for information

-svaid
Old 19th September 2007, 10:29   #1034
BHPian

Actually this is what we have been waiting for : Video i guess is taken on 8th Sep 07

Old 19th September 2007, 10:37   #1035
Team-BHP Support

that probably is a 2.2 but it still has a place for the wheel on the back. and it shows the safari comfortable cruising at 130kmph.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks