Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 21:39   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, another Q coming your way !!!

Did you notice if it had alloy wheels and tubeless tyres while you were at your spying ???
Old 30th September 2007, 21:48   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

kdeepakk,

Any size info on those tyres? Those look puny compared to the ones on the Safari-Civic video in this thread.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:55   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Tata Will Be Tata!

Lol

Never Can they change the people's perception about their cars.

If They improve one , the other's quality deteriorates. But Hope they come up with a solution or else!
Old 30th September 2007, 21:55   #1459
Senior - BHPian

CNBC TV18 News Ticker says " Tata to Launch New Safari 2.2 VTT on Oct 4, 07"

kdeepakk those pics on new safari vtt are nicely clicked away.

Those beige interiors are sure to get dirty or I'd say more noticeable.

Steer, Did you look closely at the rear suspensions in the pics posted by kdeepakk, apparently there is something new in form of some circular discs (rubber or metal ??) on the rear axle, which are not present in our safari's. I wonder what they are supposed to do

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6...ture083mq5.jpg
Lets hope that all the components supplied by third party to Safari VTT 2.2 function properly . (Now thats what I would call a real quality check by tata's to make it a really successful)

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 30th September 2007 at 21:59. Reason: Pic Added
Old 30th September 2007, 22:05   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

I read that the Tucson was electronically limited to 40 for 4WD applications. It wouldnot exceed 40kmph in 4WD mode.
What I have read is - if you are driving Tucson in 4WD, if you go beyond 40, 4WD gets automatically disengaged.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:31   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What I have read is - if you are driving Tucson in 4WD, if you go beyond 40, 4WD gets automatically disengaged.
Bad enough! I hate cars (or gadgets) that 'steal' the thinking process from the 'master' and 'think' they can do it better than Master ever could!
There's a blessed name for it too! A.I.
One has to be careful what one picks up today, could well turn out to be HAL 2001!
Does the Tucson provide an over-ride for this stupidity? And if not, it fits in perfectly with Hyundai's philosophy as I see it. Cost-cutting.
Who'd have thunk it?!!! That a bl***y car will decide the max speed in 4WD mode and fix it at a pathetic 40! And we are talking Kilometres per hour, not mph or Knots!
I did whole stretches of Manali-Leh in 4WD mode on my Scorpio very recently, because it was drizzling and roads were wet, slick and slushy. I'd have died if I couldn't have crossed 40 kmph.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:24   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Does the Tucson provide an over-ride for this stupidity? And if not, it fits in perfectly with Hyundai's philosophy as I see it. Cost-cutting.
Why would providing intelligence be cost cutting? The other cars that dont do so must be very expensive, then.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:32   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I did whole stretches of Manali-Leh in 4WD mode on my Scorpio very recently, because it was drizzling and roads were wet, slick and slushy. I'd have died if I couldn't have crossed 40 kmph.
so did u any sign of damage on 4wd mechanism?
what @ warranty that tata offers..did 4wd mechanism comes under it?
i saw millatary trucks driving 4wd constantly at speed of 70kms and even up on flat highways
Old 30th September 2007, 23:48   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Steer, Did you look closely at the rear suspensions in the pics posted by kdeepakk, apparently there is something new in form of some circular discs (rubber or metal ??) on the rear axle, which are not present in our safari's. I wonder what they are supposed to do
I noticed those. We'll find out what they're there for and I'm sure they can be retrofitted at a cost if they are an improvement.

Funnily there's very little talk about the engine, which according to those that drove it at least a year back is worth an upgrade by itself.
Old 1st October 2007, 00:10   #1465
BHPian

safari 4x4 is

PART TIME 4wd?
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_part.html
or
FULL TIME 4wd?
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_full.html

safari 4x4 associates to which link from above?
Old 1st October 2007, 00:21   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
safari 4x4 is

PART TIME 4wd?
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_part.html
or
FULL TIME 4wd?
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_full.html

safari 4x4 associates to which link from above?
The Safari (4x4 version) is a part time 4x4. You select 4WD when you think you need it. You can select from 4H (high ratio for higher speeds) and 4L (low ratio for pulling out of sticky situations). Getting into and out of 4H is easy and pretty much on the fly, but getting out of 4L requires you to unlock the hub locks by selecting reverse (or forward if you used 4L in reverse - basically the opposite direction of travel in 4L) and moving one car length.

The Tucson is also a part time 4x4, albeit more intelligent. By default the Tuc is a Front Wheel Drive vehicle, but the intelligent Borg Warner shifter automatically selects 4WD when there is a lack of traction (at any speed). It can also be locked on the 4WD, but this lock shifts automatically to intelligent 4WD (again shifting to 4WD when traction is required) after 40 kmph, which many people here have misunderstood as no 4WD > 40 kmph.

This is also the case with the Honda CRV and the Nissan Xtrail, but of course they are not Hyundai and therefore the same cheap gadgetery will become High-technology on the Honda and Nissan. Note however that while the Hyundai provides a 50:50 split of torque between the front and rear wheels, the Nissan provides a 60:40 and the Honda is further down at nearly 80:20. Again, I'm not sure if the CRV provides a 4wd lock which the Tuc and the Xtrail provide.

The Endeavour is also a part-time 4WD.

Amongst the vehicles commonly available in India, only the Forester featured full time 4wd or AWD.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st October 2007 at 00:27.
Old 1st October 2007, 00:22   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
That must be for Low ratio 4x4. In 4x4 high ratio you can drive at almost the same speeds as 2WD.

EDIT: Excellent explanation Steeroid. I didn't see your post while posting.

Last edited by vabs78 : 1st October 2007 at 00:25.
Old 1st October 2007, 00:39   #1468
BHPian

Ford’s new Endeavour at Straight Frm The Heart
The new endeavour’s 4WD transmission system is equipped with the world renowned Borg Warner transfer system and electronic Active Shift-on-the-Fly, allowing a driver to shift the driving mode from 2WD to 4WD at high driving speeds of up to 100 km/h. Ford claims the new transmission system will make the new Endeavour perfect for both urban and highway driving as well as off road while providing the best possible fuel economy (22% more than the existing Endeavour)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html[/url]]
Here is why part time 4WD should never be used on dry pavement

The terms used differ from driveline wind up to axle bind and drive line bind, binding hubs, etc. - they realate to stress created by the use of part time 4 wheel drive. Fact is, that you can not use part time 4WD on dry high traction surfaces. Period. You'll get drive line windup. This has been known since the invention of 4WD more than 100 years ago and center differentials have been employed since then to correct the problem.

Then there are some "smart" guys claiming their truck being strong enough to handle part time 4WD and the resulting driveline windup/bind on pavement. And it is true, some trucks are stronger than others - they break later than the weaker ones.

If you know about the stresses created by part time 4WD on pavement, you should never expose your truck/car to that kind of abuse

The extreme tension and pressures caused by the absence of a center differential (or caused by a center diff that has been locked) will break down the protective properties of all lubricants, eventually leading to expensive component failure

The image above is the transfer case of my Jeep Grand Cherokee after accidentally driving for about 150 miles in part time 4WD on the freeway. It exploded at about 70 mph

Last edited by Zappo : 1st October 2007 at 01:40. Reason: Preferably, avoid pushing full articles from elsewhere. Mention source clearly and make it visibly different while doing so.
Old 1st October 2007, 00:46   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
. In 4x4 high ratio you can drive at almost the same speeds as 2WD.

so u mean we can drive on expressway at > 100 with 4H on? as same as 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Safari (4x4 version) is a part time 4x4. You select 4WD when you think you need it. You can select from 4H (high ratio for higher speeds) and 4L (low ratio for pulling out of sticky situations). Getting into and out of 4H is easy and pretty much on the fly, but getting out of 4L requires you to unlock the hub locks by selecting reverse (or forward if you used 4L in reverse - basically the opposite direction of travel in 4L) and moving one car length.

The Tucson is also a part time 4x4, albeit more intelligent. By default the Tuc is a Front Wheel Drive vehicle, but the intelligent Borg Warner shifter automatically selects 4WD when there is a lack of traction (at any speed). It can also be locked on the 4WD, but this lock shifts automatically to intelligent 4WD (again shifting to 4WD when traction is required) after 40 kmph, which many people here have misunderstood as no 4WD > 40 kmph.

This is also the case with the Honda CRV and the Nissan Xtrail, but of course they are not Hyundai and therefore the same cheap gadgetery will become High-technology on the Honda and Nissan. Note however that while the Hyundai provides a 50:50 split of torque between the front and rear wheels, the Nissan provides a 60:40 and the Honda is further down at nearly 80:20. Again, I'm not sure if the CRV provides a 4wd lock which the Tuc and the Xtrail provide.

The Endeavour is also a part-time 4WD.

Amongst the vehicles commonly available in India, only the Forester featured full time 4wd or AWD.
thanks Steeroid u have cleared confusion from my mind
so u think that driving with 4H 4wd at high speed on dry pavment( like National highways and expressways) will lead to failer of 4wd in safari ?
aint safari tough that much?

Last edited by neo_trace : 1st October 2007 at 00:50.
Old 1st October 2007, 00:49   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

I think Maruti Gypsy is also a fulltime 4wd. I am not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
so u mean we can drive on expressway at > 100 with 4H on? as same as 2wd?
I am not sure as I don't have any first hand experience. It will be best if some of the 4x4 owners can comment on this.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st October 2007 at 01:38. Reason: merged
Closed Thread

Most Viewed