Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:11   #1591
Senior - BHPian

now am confused.... dont mind me guys, but how is the conculsion coming up that the 3.0 is a better engine than 2.2 even when most of us havent driven it and are waiting for a td (i know i am,both the tata dealers of hyd are on my speed dial list)

i know the sources may be reliable and all.. but lets not try and confuse every person visiting this thread.. (i for one am fully confused)

the 3.0 i agree is a reliable engine.. but am pretty sure tata wouldnt have launched the 2.2 in italy and other places if it had niggles and was showing probs around the 1lac kms stage..

the only logical way i see of this is to drive both the versions.. and buy the one which u like and which suits ur pocket.. atleast that's what am planning to do..
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:11   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't remember LSD ever being mentioned by any Safari 4x4 owners here. Can someone confirm.
Automatic Hub locks for the front wheels and LSD for rear axle is allegedly standard issue for 4x4s on the 3.0. I've never checked this before so I checked the TML site. The Prerana Motors website (yes, they have one!) also confirms this for the TCIC 4x4, so its been around for a while:

:: Safari Diesel ::

Front & Rear Axel
Front

Front Independently suspended, Automatic hub locks (for 4x4 version on Safari EX)
Rear

Semi-floating type, Limited slip differential (for 4 x 4 version)

For those still wondering whether to go for the 2.2 or the 3.0, take a test drive of both - it will clear any doubts you may have. 2.2 all the way!

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd October 2007 at 12:14.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:20   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post

the 3.0 i agree is a reliable engine.. but am pretty sure tata wouldnt have launched the 2.2 in italy and other places if it had niggles and was showing probs around the 1lac kms stage..

Tata also launched the Safari in the UK and Australia with the anemic 2.0 TCIC- that does not make it a good engine!

No one is saying that the 3.0 is better than the 2.2, jus tthat going by tata history of doing RnD on customers, plus information from sources that some members have, it seems to be a better bet to wait a while (say 6 months to a year) before going in for the 2.2. As it is, with safaris selling approx 2xxx vehicles per month, it may take a while for problems to get reported and rectified, simply because the number of vehicles on the road is less and not evey owner is proactive in approaching dealerships at the hint of trouble, unlike most of us on TBHP
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:37   #1594
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
and this mirrors my various posts leading up to the 2.2 launch based on what my friend at ERC told me. So far, he has been spot on on all his info, inc. the expected price increase.
Hi! no offense to you or anyone's source's
some times confidential sources do go wrong and some times they are correct. you have mentioned in another post quoting the same ERC guy that post Jan 18, 2007 all safari's will come with bosch FIP and you will be posting the barrel number also. that seems has not happened. it seems even the 2.2 is with delphi FIP not bosch. in this respect your source seems to be off the mark.
again no offense meant.
the link to thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...or-owners.html
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:39   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Tata also launched the Safari in the UK and Australia with the anemic 2.0 TCIC- that does not make it a good engine!

No one is saying that the 3.0 is better than the 2.2, jus tthat going by tata history of doing RnD on customers, plus information from sources that some members have, it seems to be a better bet to wait a while (say 6 months to a year) before going in for the 2.2. As it is, with safaris selling approx 2xxx vehicles per month, it may take a while for problems to get reported and rectified, simply because the number of vehicles on the road is less and not evey owner is proactive in approaching dealerships at the hint of trouble, unlike most of us on TBHP

I heard similar stories when the 3.0 was launched, yet I went ahead and bought the car - the first one in my state and one of the first customer cars in the country, because I picked mine up within a few days of the official launch. They said Tata is new to Common Rail, this is an LCV engine, you will be a beta tester etc. To be fair we did have our share of initial niggles, but none of them related to the engine. They also ensured that every update - whether software or hardware (eg., EGR) was made available to all the customers.

That car is running fine now. We run up about 5k kilometers every time we are in India, which is pretty intensive driving because that is run up over a 2 week period. The vehicle has done 43k now, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

How the tables have turned - now the 3.0 is the reliable, dependable hero and the new engine is the fickle villain.

Guys - go through the history of their cars (what little there is) and you will realize that while 3rd Party parts end up with issues, the engine has never been a problem on their vehicles. THat includes the Petrol engines that were supposed to be outside their capability.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd October 2007 at 12:45.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:40   #1596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
1.) Cluth: The clutch was showing irregular wear and tear after every 5000 Kms run due to the speed/torque and others things.

2.) Engine head: I was told that there is a problem with the engine head after 1 lakh Kms. I engine may behave abnormal in some/many cars after
1 Lakh kms

I was also told by these delphi/lucas tvs guys that they were working on this issue like anything and should be fixed by the time they release it in India. though did not get any news after that
How long back was this? This release is coming after a delay of 1 year, remember this thread is more than a year old. All new components have teething issues, bugs, etc. Unless they are real show-stoppers or downright dangerous, we shouldn't be worried. If problems are found in the Engine or the gearbox later, can't that component be fixed or replaced later?
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:54   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has a hint of the pricing for all models, 4x2 and 4x4 ???

I searched the Euro NCAP but did not find TATA name in it, perhaps they did their own crash tests and compared it with the Euro regulations (I know TATA has their own crash facility)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
brochure says it is certified xxx under european regulations and there is a pic of the crash test, BUT does not mention how many stars has it actually gained. guess that is the imp bit than just getting it tested
I think the 3rd one is already present in the 3.0l also. 1st and 2nd were the most needed as most got it done from outside. But w'll have to wait for the pricing before we can comment further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
As per the brochure - the New features listed for the 2.2 EX are:

1. Tubeless Tyres
2. Body Coloured Claddings
3. Engine Immobilizer with keyless entry
4. Follow me home head-lights
5. Express Down Feature for the Power Windows
6. Storage net in luggage compartment area
7. beige interiors, New instrument cluster, new central console finish, new gear shift knob

Just #1 & #2 are worth around Rs. 20K-25K. If Tatas price the 2.2 just 30K-35K higher than the 3.0, we're getting the new engine almost free.
I agree with samurai, I would be more worried if they were not able to find these problems during the tests . But since thay have found it, they would have corrected it and we can feel relaxed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
I still have some doubts on this vehicle, though I hope the issues are fixed now.

There were primarily two issues with this vehicle which I did confirm with Delphi/TVS Lucas here as they were developing the engine and going for frequent trainings.

1.) Cluth: The clutch was showing irregular wear and tear after every 5000 Kms run due to the speed/torque and others things.

2.) Engine head: I was told that there is a problem with the engine head after 1 lakh Kms. I engine may behave abnormal in some/many cars after
1 Lakh kms

I was also told by these delphi/lucas tvs guys that they were working on this issue like anything and should be fixed by the time they release it in India. though did not get any news after that
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:57   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Guys - go through the history of their cars (what little there is) and you will realize that while 3rd Party parts end up with issues, the engine has never been a problem on their vehicles. THat includes the Petrol engines that were supposed to be outside their capability.
I agree with Steer on this one - whatever niggles I have seen so far have always been with non-engine components

Quote:
I don't remember LSD ever being mentioned by any Safari 4x4 owners here. Can someone confirm.
Confirmed that the 4x4 Dicors have LSD, the owners manual also mentions this
Old 3rd October 2007, 13:10   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
How long back was this? This release is coming after a delay of 1 year, remember this thread is more than a year old. All new components have teething issues, bugs, etc. Unless they are real show-stoppers or downright dangerous, we shouldn't be worried. If problems are found in the Engine or the gearbox later, can't that component be fixed or replaced later?
LUCAS TVS guys told me about this somewhere in May-Jun
Old 3rd October 2007, 13:56   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Does anyone has a hint of the pricing for all models, 4x2 and 4x4 ???
well rightnow i m going to TATA dealer and will post prices of all versions after an hour
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:00   #1601
BHPian

Do mention the existing price (3 ltr) also. The comparision will help those from other cities as price vary quite a bit from cities to cities. Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:05   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
well rightnow i m going to TATA dealer and will post prices of all versions after an hour
bye
If the 2.2 is getting launched today officially, the why does the site TATA Motors - Safari DICOR still does not talk about it
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:32   #1603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
If the 2.2 is getting launched today officially, the why does the site TATA Motors - Safari DICOR still does not talk about it
umm. because its not launched. and its getting launched tomorrow btw. they wont put up the specs till its launched.
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:34   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
I wont be surprised if the site isnt updated even after the launch, for a few days.
Old 3rd October 2007, 14:54   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Automatic Hub locks for the front wheels and LSD for rear axle is allegedly standard issue for 4x4s on the 3.0. I've never checked this before so I checked the TML site. The Prerana Motors website (yes, they have one!) also confirms this for the TCIC 4x4, so its
Semi-floating type, Limited slip differential (for 4 x 4 version)
LSD has been an standard issue for Safari 4x4 since inception,and no less a LSD than DANA. I have been seeing these from 2001.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed