Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:35   #91
BHPian

I have a question... Logically, I dont see why they cannot reduce the height. I am not an automobile engineer, so would like some technical guy to throw some light on it.
What I feel is that if u cut from the lower part of the car (which is more or less straight), you can reduce a good 6 inches. Only the bumpers and side beading plastics need to be changed.
In the interior, just keep the seat height down and the dash can be fitted lower.
I might be wrong, so would appreciate if someone can explain why.
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiFuture View Post
I have a question... Logically, I dont see why they cannot reduce the height. I am not an automobile engineer, so would like some technical guy to throw some light on it.
What I feel is that if u cut from the lower part of the car (which is more or less straight), you can reduce a good 6 inches. Only the bumpers and side beading plastics need to be changed.
In the interior, just keep the seat height down and the dash can be fitted lower.
I might be wrong, so would appreciate if someone can explain why.
The way I see it, its more of a bussiness decision than a engineering one. Maximize parts sharing - keep costs down. Now if they reduce height or alter design, there will be no more sharing and thus higher cost!!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 00:55   #93
BHPian

Saw a Quanto today parked in Koramangala and observed it closely. My realization is that you really can't do anything with this car, just dump it and launch the S101 in 2015. The car looked much more odd than what I had noticed earlier. Wonder what made smart men like Anand Mahindra and Pawan Goenka think that this would work wonders after the initial euphoria.
IndiFuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

I think the problem is that they didnt anticipate great rivalry in the form of Duster and Ecosport. When the Duster was launched, it didnt pose much of a threat to Quanto as Duster is priced slightly higher. However, with the launch of the Ecosport, when Duster is biting the dust, Quanto has taken a big hit as Ecosport looks cool, is feature rich and priced cheaper (many variants) than the Quanto.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:45   #95
BHPian

The quanto is made available with "yoga" seats in chennai from today. Got to check if they have something simlar for existing owners. These 2nd row seats can fold twice in a 60:40 ratio with 36 possible variations of seating and storage space. I feel this would give the buyers a lot of options especially with ford jacking up the price of ecosport every second month and its unreasonably long waiting periods, this might just prop up the sales of the quanto.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:27   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
The quanto is made available with "yoga" seats in chennai from today. Got to check if they have something simlar for existing owners. These 2nd row seats can fold twice in a 60:40 ratio with 36 possible variations of seating and storage space. I feel this would give the buyers a lot of options especially with ford jacking up the price of ecosport every second month and its unreasonably long waiting periods, this might just prop up the sales of the quanto.
None of these can help Quanto. M&M has to make it look like a real baby SUV. That looks are horrible even in a bigger vehicle like Xylo; then how can it help in a smaller one like Quanto?
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:40   #97
BHPian

To be honest people are buying Compact SUVs because of desirability rather than practicality. M&M Quanto might have practicality, but it does not have desirability at all. But then there real baby SUV is still about couple of years away, till such time they have to cater to this segment with Quanto and so they have to try working around it to add more value and atleast try and sustain 700 - 800 nos per month. Plus that would help better utilisation of Xylo platform, as the sale of Xylo itself is under pressure. Not too sure how Genio pickup is doing in commercial segment.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
To be honest people are buying Compact SUVs because of desirability rather than practicality. M&M Quanto might have practicality, but it does not have desirability at all. But then there real baby SUV is still about couple of years away, till such time they have to cater to this segment with Quanto and so they have to try working around it to add more value and atleast try and sustain 700 - 800 nos per month. Plus that would help better utilisation of Xylo platform, as the sale of Xylo itself is under pressure. Not too sure how Genio pickup is doing in commercial segment.
+1 to your views Praful.

SUVs in India are still a heart decision rather than a head decision.

Quanto has fallen short in the aspiration aspect big time.

Why would I need a Quanto?

For the looks- Hell No.
For practicality-Certainly Not
For a Brand Image- M&M. Are you kidding me?
Features: where are they?
Snob Factor of owning an SUV- Ha ha ha

Does the offering answer any of the above questions?

Certainly not. Does the consumer agree- YES!!

Result- Poor Sales and no future to think of.

Rest the poor Soul!!
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Redesign the existing Quanto, thats the only solution to improving sales.

Apart from Scorpio, Bolero, Classic, Thar, 550 etc, none of the other Mahindra vehicles look exciting. Their design of the new Verito, Quanto, Xylo is extremely disappointing and makes one wonder how they got the Scorpio right.

Unless their cars look exciting, there is no way they can be aspirational. So that leaves practicality, where the Quanto miserably fails.

I hope I'm wrong and they improve the sales, since I'm also a shareholder.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:48   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Apart from Scorpio, Bolero, Classic, Thar, 550 etc, none of the other Mahindra vehicles look exciting. Their design of the new Verito, Quanto, Xylo is extremely disappointing and makes one wonder how they got the Scorpio right.
  1. You've given a long list of Mahindra vehicles that look exciting.
  2. Then you give 3 vehicles as not exciting - one which is a face-lifted Renault Logan and the other two basically the bigger and smaller versions of the same Xylo design.
  3. From this you infer that Mahindra doesn't know how to make vehicles that look exciting.

I'm not sure if I understand your reasoning. To me, it seems to be way off logic!
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:22   #101
BHPian

Quanto sells in the tier II cities because it is the cheapest 'comfortable' body on frame 7 seater that can take abuse, and modern than a Sumo or a Bolero, and does not have any taxi image. They even used to provide start stop in the base versions, not sure about the current pricing.

The vehicle interior is good. My extended family owns one, and they find it comfortable over long journey, pickup etc. are also good.

When they bought Quanto recently, they had to reject Ertiga because apparently it bottoms out in the horrible roads of WB primarily. Ecosport was out of question as it was a 5 seater. Bolero is dated, Sumo has a taxi image, so you are left only with Quanto.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:37   #102
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
Hope this can be fixed on existing vehicles. Any update? Hope to fix in my c6 if available with dealers. The 2nd row seat as such is not comfortable.
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
  1. You've given a long list of Mahindra vehicles that look exciting.
  2. Then you give 3 vehicles as not exciting - one which is a face-lifted Renault Logan and the other two basically the bigger and smaller versions of the same Xylo design.
  3. From this you infer that Mahindra doesn't know how to make vehicles that look exciting.

I'm not sure if I understand your reasoning. To me, it seems to be way off logic!
The earlier Mahindra designs are based on the Jeep, which is exciting as a design. The only real exciting design in recent years from Mahindra is the Scorpio.

With the Verito, I felt the face lift looks worse than the original Logan design. With Quanto and Xylo, I find the designs boxy and boring.

What part of my post did you find illogical?

Do you find the Quanto an exciting design?
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:18   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The earlier Mahindra designs are based on the Jeep, which is exciting as a design. The only real exciting design in recent years from Mahindra is the Scorpio.

With the Verito, I felt the face lift looks worse than the original Logan design. With Quanto and Xylo, I find the designs boxy and boring.

What part of my post did you find illogical?

Do you find the Quanto an exciting design?
I fully agree that Xylo and its younger sibling Quanto are boring designs, though we should term it as one flop instead of 2. If Xylo was attractive and exciting, even the Quanto would have shared the same sentiment.

However, I disagree with the statement that it is a general trend from Mahindra.

Bolero was an exciting design at the time when it was introduced. Infact, it is still having that muscular character that a 'Jeep' should have. I wouldn't classify it as a boring design.

You too agree that Scorpio design is exciting.

Thar and Classic still share that rugged old Jeep looks and are very much exciting to the Jeep lovers.

XUV is also an appealing and desirable design which is preferred by many folks over most C2/D1 segment cars.

Personally, I never liked the Logan in the first place and there are huge limitations to what Mahindra can do with just sheet metal changes. May be its just me but I feel Verito looks better than Logan.

With so many good designs coming out of Mahindra, I'm still not clear how you can generalize that Mahindra is bad at designing cars/UVs just because of the Xylo-Quanto design.

In similar context, shouldn't we say the same about Maruti because of the Alto-800 design or Honda because of the Brio design?
Old 24th January 2014, 11:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
With so many good designs coming out of Mahindra, I'm still not clear how you can generalize that Mahindra is bad at designing cars/UVs just because of the Xylo-Quanto design.

In similar context, shouldn't we say the same about Maruti because of the Alto-800 design or Honda because of the Brio design?
The Bolero, Thar, Classic etc... were not really Mahindra designs, they were all variants of the classic JEEP, and Mahindra wisely did not deviate too much from them.

The only original M&M designs in recent years are the Scorpio, Xylo, Quanto, and XUV, of which I only like the Scorpio. Of course likes and dislikes are subjective and totally upto your personal taste.

I dont think I agree with your inference on Maruti and Honda designs, simply beause they have a long line up of very well desgned cars, while Mahindra's own design hits are only the Scorpio and some feel the XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks