re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Would like to counter this argument, bro:

The boot gains are:

Dzire over Swift:111 ltrs
Zest over Vista: 158 ltrs
Xcent over Grand i10: 151 ltrs

So, Zest have better gain on boot space than Xcent. Now the question about practicality\usability of this boot space space is another topic though (which I hope, will be answered when the official TeamBhp review is out).

About Aerodynamic efficiency of Zest, pardon me, but can you kindly point me to a place where the aerodynamic efficiency of Vista and Zest is compared? (This is a genuine question since I could not find anything after googling).

--Anoop
As per overdrive, the boot space of Zest is 360 ltrs, and not 390 ltrs as you mentioned.

So,
Zest over Vista (why are we comparing with Vista btw): 128 lts.

But that is not the point.

Look at the pics below to understand how badly the suspension is intruding to the boot space of the Zest. Even if its 390 ltrs, still does not hold a candle to Amaze and Xcent.

For reference, here is the Zest's impractical boot space picture:

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest.jpg

Now compare this to Xcent:

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-hyundaixcentreview15.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-x21-img_2933.jpg
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:19   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
As per overdrive, the boot space of Zest is 360 ltrs, and not 390 ltrs as you mentioned.
I test drove it and I can confirm it is 390 ltrs.

So is this the only criticism?
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:20   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
...Is it not the otherway, i mean the next gen AMT with the revotron and not expect the existing AMT with the revotron??? pardon me if i am wrong here.
Well, it could be! I really can NOT recall the exact discussion that happened, so it could be the way you mentioned too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Yeah. That's what I meant when I made that statement I assumed that Tata too would make the suspension softer on the Zest(like Maruti) since it is a 'Sedan' and that they may make it a bit harder on the Bolt since it looks like they are kinda trying to project the Bolt like a sports car with sporty interiors etc.
When I TDed Zest, at least it didn't feel the car had a plush suspension - it definitely was stiff. But then it's a bit too early to compare & make a comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
I test drove it and I can confirm it is 390 ltrs.

So is this the only criticism?
Chill down please! We have reports on both the capacity; so please don't jump over the above post.

(360 L) http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-reviews/tata-zest-compact-sedan-first-look-review-375340,0.aspx

(360 L) http://overdrive.in/reviews/2014-tata-zest-india-road-test/

(390 L) https://in.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fullthrottle/road-test-and-review--tata-zest-043652937.html

(390 L) http://www.topgear.com/india/tata/re...zest/itemid-51

And yes, Zest is definitely NOT a perfect car. Do expect some flaws (much lesser than usual for a TATA car though) when t-bhp review comes out - even if you don't like.

Quote:
...For reference, here is the Zest's impractical boot space picture:

Attachment 1267273
I thought you would have been happy with a Bolt as boot space didn't mean a lot for you (from your previous post). Change of mind?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th July 2014 at 14:33. Reason: Added the last two quotes.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:38   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For reference, here is the Zest's impractical boot space picture:
Yeah - that is why I mentioned the practicality of the 390\360 ltrs is a whole another matter (Having space is one thing, but having the actual usable space is another thing).

(PS: I compared with Vista because I don't think Tata have officially declared the boot volume of Bolt. Kindly do correct me if it is otherwise).

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:49   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Yeah - that is why I mentioned the practicality of the 390\360 ltrs is a whole another matter (Having space is one thing, but having the actual usable space is another thing).

(PS: I compared with Vista because I don't think Tata have officially declared the boot volume of Bolt. Kindly do correct me if it is otherwise).

--Anoop
Absolutely right, this is the point i am making. If there is no realistic increase in usable boot space, why spend so much extra for the compact Sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I thought you would have been happy with a Bolt as boot space didn't mean a lot for you (from your previous post). Change of mind?
Sorry didn't quite get your point. I posted the pic of Zest, not Bolt.

Last edited by DCEite : 28th July 2014 at 14:52.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:57   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right, this is the point i am making. If there is no realistic increase in usable boot space, why spend so much extra for the compact Sedan.
Bro, but the crux of the matter is, most people who buy these CS do not buy it for the boot space, but for the Ego\Image\Prestige boost which comes with owning a sedan.

Yes - I do admit that if you do not need the boot and do not need the image\prestige boost, then the hatch makes sense over its CS sibling.

Other than boot space, usually all CS have softer suspension and the seat recline angle may be better (No, I do not have any data to substantiate this - it is just my feeling), which makes them more back seat friendly.

So, as long as there are takers in market, I do not see why Tata cannot price the car at least 50K above its hatch sibling.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 14:57   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Sorry didn't quite get your point. I posted the pic of Zest, not Bolt.
I meant your quote below. Looked like you were convinced that Bolt is a better buy and I suddenly saw you picking on the boot size and shape of Zest. I think we could keep the boot discussion for later since we do NOT know the boot space of Bolt.

I think this discussion is going to draw some unwanted arguments, so lets avoid it huh?

Quote:
...The only factor now is the "status symbol" -which for me personally is not an important criteria.

Hence my analysis on the Bolt being a more sensible buy in the petrol avatar when compared to the Zest.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:02   #1268
Senior - BHPian

I guess they didn't launch Bolt first so that people don't dismiss the facelift version saying it resembles a 'Facelifted Vista'.

Also, I've heard Maruti is coming out with a new Swift by next Jan, and I'm sure TaMo will wait for it and once they come to know Maruti's deal, they'll try to offer a MUCH better package at a lower price tag.

Anyway, I wish Bolt gets 90ps in both versions - Petrol (Revotron) & Diesel (1.3mjd with a VGT). That too if both were to be offered with the next gen AMT as an option, it'd be a cracker of an offering for the market with a VFM price tag.

Let's see.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:41   #1269
BHPian

Yesterday evening, I went to Viviana Mall Thane with the intention of taking a TD of Zest. But I abandoned the thought because of the heavy rains and traffic jams outside the mall. So I decided to just have a look and feel of the blue Revotron XT that was there on display. Here are my observations (with some comparisons with my Manza):
1. The display car was surrounded by many people wanting to have a look and I could feel a general air of disbelief that it was a car from “Tata”.
2. Tata representatives in blue T’s were quite enthusiastic and seemed knowledgeable about the car. Tata seemed to have done their homework well this time, unlike when I got my Manza from them three years back. I knew more about the car than the SA who sold me the car.
3. Rear is the most beautiful section of Zest with the highlight being the LED tail lights which looked a class apart when lit up. Zest’s rear is a diametrical opposite of my Manza’s rear. However, small boot space with high loading point could disappoint a few people.
4. Those corona rings housed in the cat-eye shaped headlamps will look wicked in the RVM’s of other cars.
5. Rear seat space is surreal given the sub-4m dimensions of the car. Three average-built people would find themselves in comfort in those really soft and cushy seats (can’t beat my Manza here which can take three full-sized adults easily in those wide seats).
6. Rear power window was really lethargic as it took ages to roll up/down. That was really annoying. Hope it's a one off thing and would be sorted out in the launch version.
7. Dashboard looks classy, but the gloss black finish will love your finger-prints and need frequent cleaning. I would have preferred a simple matt black finish here.
8. There is a driver seat height adjust feature available in the XT variant at least. I increased the seat height to find a comfortable position and better view of the road head ahead, but it obstructed my view of instrument cluster behind. May be, I am spoilt by the commanding view of road ahead that my Manza gives. I just can’t compare that here. I hope steering wheel has a tilt-adjust feature which I could not verify. Steering wheel has a soft touch feel to it and was well contoured. It is smaller and too thin to my liking. May be, one layer of additional leather-wrap would improve the feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
14. I interacted with SA from Concorde and I was informed that TATA would look at a 15% lesser price than Xcent / Amaze / Dzire.
20. Launch on 22 August 2014; bookings open now. I interacted with Deepak and Srinivas from the Pune factory team. They were quite keen on genuine feedback.
9. The Tata representative told me the launch would be on 12th August and pricing would be in line with DZire and Amaze. Let’s see what happens.

Well, this is all I could observe in that crowded Zest. But one thing is for sure, this (and Bolt) is by far the best Tata product and gives a lot of hopes for the future of the Company’s PV business.

OT: There was another stall just behind the Zest’s where BMW had put a 3 series GT and X1 on display. Not sure why? I could see the registrations going on for a lucky draw wherein one lucky winner would drive away with a spanking new X1 on 15th August. Eligibility –min. Rs 5,000 of purchase in a day at the mall.

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 28th July 2014 at 16:11. Reason: added one more observation
mahesh_sn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 17:08   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Going by the early impressions, the Zest and the Bolt could be the game-changers Tata Motors have been looking for. I just hope they get the post sales service sorted out so that a good car is not let down by poor service experience.

It will make this segment a very competitive giving the buyers a wide choice. TML has a pretty wide service network and should be able to do good numbers.

Hopefully, TML will do a "Zest" to the Storme, Aria and the Sumo as well in the near future.

More choice for the customer is always welcome.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 17:12   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Any chances of the Bolt having the 90 HP version of the QJD engine (carried over from the current D90/Zest) ?

IMO Bolt with 90 HP and priced around 70-80k less than then similar specced Zest QJD, would make a tremendous value for money proposition.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:49   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Any chances of the Bolt having the 90 HP version of the QJD engine (carried over from the current D90/Zest) ?

IMO Bolt with 90 HP and priced around 70-80k less than then similar specced Zest QJD, would make a tremendous value for money proposition.
Since there is a Vista D90, no reason why there wont be a Bolt D90. Yes, with both Revotron & MJD 90 & all the other tech from Zest, this will be one hot hatch when it comes.

Plus they can improve the Bolt with the deficiencies of Zest, to make it an even better proposition.
Old 28th July 2014, 23:26   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Since there is a Vista D90, no reason why there wont be a Bolt D90. Yes, with both Revotron & MJD 90 & all the other tech from Zest, this will be one hot hatch when it comes.

Plus they can improve the Bolt with the deficiencies of Zest, to make it an even better proposition.
Vista D90 has been discontinued by Tata Motors.
Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...continued.html

However, even I would love to see Tata launching a 90HP version of Bolt. With a bit stiffer (and better) suspension that is being promised in the Bolt (and Zest), it would be an affordable enthusiast's car.
Old 28th July 2014, 23:51   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
...Anyway, I wish Bolt gets 90ps in both versions - Petrol (Revotron) & Diesel (1.3mjd with a VGT). That too if both were to be offered with the next gen AMT as an option, it'd be a cracker of an offering for the market with a VFM price tag.

Let's see.
Quote:

They've already specified during the Auto-Expo that Bolt Diesel will get the 75PS version (1.3mjd + FGT ).

Still, Maybe they'll change plans (like they bumped up the power output in Revotron from 85ps to 90PS)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Since there is a Vista D90, no reason why there wont be a Bolt D90. Yes, with both Revotron & MJD 90 & all the other tech from Zest, this will be one hot hatch when it comes...
Could be. Actually D90 was pretty decent, but the BOLT will have Top Class interiors too!

Quote:
lol How much more you want in a car bro?
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:34   #1275
BHPian

Spotted Bolt in Mahabaleshwar recently.

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-img_0195.jpg
satpalsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed