Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 22:54   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

I still have a hunch, the Figo aspire petrol will fad away soon like the Figo.
- lackluster rear. Its boring like the Sail.
- lackluster petrol. 77 hp on a 1000+ kg car would be dragging in this segment. Neither is engine as refined as the Dzires and Xcents.

Diesel will bring the initial sales tough. Believe they should go ahead with the 90hp engine to create a differentiator. It is anyways decently fuel efficient in the Fiesta and Ecosport. Guess Ford will try to hit the 25kmpl ARAI numbers with a 75 hp engine.

Pricing again will remain the key. Lower models seem very basic. Wrong lesson learnt from economy Hondas. Make it 40k ex-showroom cheaper than Amaze and Dzire and they are all set. Not to forget the Dzires and Xcent diesel are already selling at good discounts.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 02:01   #182
BHPian

A sub 4m sedan can only be that much well-proportioned, so rear of Aspire ought to be excused (even Fiesta has issues with rear). The car otherwise looks good IMO.

And if Ford has opted fuel efficiency over power in C2 segment, C1 is even more sensitive. Offering 100 hp diesel in Aspire will be very surprising. Same is the case for ecoboost. Even in Ecosport, it is not the popular choice and as per the dealerships in NCR, 1.5l duratorq outsells it by a wide margin. This ratio, perhaps, reflects on the fraction of enthusiasts among total buyers.

Good initiatives still by the Ford. Were long overdue.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 08:07   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I still have a hunch, the Figo aspire petrol will fad away soon like the Figo.
- lackluster rear. Its boring like the Sail.
- lackluster petrol. 77 hp on a 1000+ kg car would be dragging in this segment. Neither is engine as refined as the Dzires and Xcents.
May I ask, which according to you is the most exciting car in this segment?

The rear is uninspiring like the front yes, but it is inline with the Xcent and the Zest (barring the XXL sized tail lamps) and far better than the Amaze and the Xcent. The highlight of this segment is the integration of the boot to a car which is basically a hatchback and you can only do so much with the design. Try to do a bit more and it might look awkward. Comparing it to the sail is not being fair on the Aspire. I feel it is proportionate enough for a sub 4m sedan.
I hated the design of the new Fiesta when I saw the first pics in this very forum. Now I own one! Maybe Fords in India are not photogenic enough, barring the Ecosport ofcourse. Let's wait for the official review and then decide if its exciting or boring shall we?

The engines seem lackluster on paper but the performance and drivability will be good. How do I know? I own a car with an engine that seems lackluster on paper. In the real world, it is far better than how it is potrayed.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 10:15   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97
A sub 4m sedan can only be that much well-proportioned
Can I play?

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-compact-sedans_figo.jpg

I would rate it as DZire (Awkward boot integration) < Zest (Good integration but tiny boot from side profile) < Figo Aspire (Feels like an abrupt end compared to the overall design) < Amaze / Xcent < Indigo CS.

Lol! Bet no one saw that coming. But I think TATA got it just right with the proportions. But with their second outing based on the larger Vista (Ok. Bolt!), they had little room to play with and ended up with the tiny boot on the Zest.

Aspire doesn't seem interesting to me, except for the fact that it could bring top end safety features for the first time in its segment. It tries to play too safe, and the end result is a total lack of USP IMO - and Fords without USP never sell much (Eg: The brilliant Fiesta). The should have brought in the Ecoboost engine or the 90ps diesel.

Also, I hope the EPS caliberation in the Aspire is more Fiesta than Ecosport!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st April 2015 at 10:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:06   #185
BHPian

It seems like Ford will soon kick off the promotions and will start marketing their product as the TVC Shoot has begun. According to Indian Car Enthusiasts on facebook, Ford has roped in Farhan Akhtar as their new brand ambassador looks like Ford has finally decided to invest on advertising!

https://www.facebook.com/indiancaren...type=1&theater
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:09   #186
i10
BHPian

Why would they want to use Farhan - didn't he advertise the Celerio? People might end up getting confused.
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:47   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Why would they want to use Farhan - didn't he advertise the Celerio? People might end up getting confused.
According to the folks at Indian Car Enthusiasts, their Source saw Farhan Akhtar in the driver's seat of the vehicle and just went through some other websites and they indeed confirm the same and I guess Celerio is not advertised by any bollywood celebrity.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:45   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
According to the folks at Indian Car Enthusiasts, their Source saw Farhan Akhtar in the driver's seat of the vehicle and just went through some other websites and they indeed confirm the same and I guess Celerio is not advertised by any bollywood celebrity.
Correction - It was the A-Star that he used to endorse .
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:45   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Correction - It was the A-Star that he used to endorse .
Look where the A-Star eventually landed up after Farhan's endorsement. You really need to work hard to make a flop that carries the Maruti badge in India.

Does Ford really know what they are getting into?
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 00:05   #190
Team-BHP Support

The rear design is lifted in-house from the Taurus. One of the few chrome strip designs that doesn't look out-of-place and tacked on. I'm still not a fan though.
Old 4th April 2015, 13:58   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The rear design is lifted in-house from the Taurus. One of the few chrome strip designs that doesn't look out-of-place and tacked on. I'm still not a fan though.
More than the Taurus, I feel the resemblance is more with the erstwhile rocket- The Opel Vectra(complete with the chrome strip).

Pls. refer to the below pic to know what I mean!!

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-08102011156.jpg.jpg
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 23:22   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...It is anyways decently fuel efficient in the Fiesta and Ecosport. Guess Ford will try to hit the 25kmpl ARAI numbers with a 75 hp engine....
Decent?! Fiesta is already rated at 25 kmpl and is right at the top (NOT the best though). A 75 bhp engine with the lower weight of the Aspire should see better results in terms of FE. I would NOT be surprised to see a 26 kmpl or "the MOST Fuel Efficient car in India" tag attached to this car.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th April 2015 at 23:23.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 15:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

<meta name="description" content="The striking design of the first ever Figo Aspire sedan is complemented by leather seats, first-in-class side and curtain airbags, 100PS 1.5L diesel engine and voice activated SYNC™." />

Source : View source option of browser url http://www.india.ford.com/cars/figoaspire

Guess they forgot to correct the same. How we wish this was true though. The 100ps is removed from the webpage contents though.
dipen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 16:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
<meta name="description" content="The striking design of the first ever Figo Aspire sedan is complemented by leather seats, first-in-class side and curtain airbags, 100PS 1.5L diesel engine and voice activated SYNC™." />

Source : View source option of browser url http://www.india.ford.com/cars/figoaspire

Guess they forgot to correct the same. How we wish this was true though. The 100ps is removed from the webpage contents though.
Haha. Looks like Ford let the cat out of the bag themselves. Good catch.

There is a 1.5L 100 PS in the works and it is most likely going to power the Figo Aspire. I expect a new Ecosport variant or an upgrade to 100 PS before the Figo launches with it though.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 8th April 2015 at 16:08.
Old 18th April 2015, 00:43   #195
Senior - BHPian

Ford seems to corrected the meta description on the figo aspire website. The 100ps and leather seats are gone. Since the marketing guys are following this thread, "Please launch a good fuel efficient as well as reasonably powerful petrol motor else you are dead on arrival in petrol avataar".
dipen is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed