Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 19:17   #496
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Hats off to Ford for becoming the safety ambassador in the segment Maruti, Hyundai and Honda should learn a lesson from Ford. Very Very Impressed!!! Providing 6 air-bags in Titanium+ variant is also commendable. I hope Figo hatchback also continues the trend.

Another excellent move by Ford is to give the automatic version with the 1.5 L petrol. This may be because the 1.2 petrol will be severely under-powered to extract the benefits of the advanced DCT box, but FOrd deserves all appreciation for throwing the small car non-sense out of the box - Honda take a lesson from Ford. But why is Ford following Hyundai and Honda by not giving us the proper top-end automatic. I know it must be because of the cost involved, but it would have been a real sweet car - Ford Aspire 1.5 L petrol + DCT in Titanium+.

However, I am really sad that it comes with 175 R14 tires even on the top variant. I am not asking for R16, but they should at least have provided 185 R15 for this car. Ford, known for its driver-centric dynamics and experience, should have given that and that would have made the car feel more complete. I also wish Ford has improved the dashboard plastic quality and overall interior fit and finish compared to the previous Figo.

With regards to the Aspire getting a more powerful version of the 1.5 diesel, I am pretty sure the Ecosport facelift will get the engine in the new tune. Ford will not be stupid enough to give the premium Ecosport a lower tune of engine.

How I wish Ford gives us the Fiesta premium hatchback as well. I somehow feel the Figo twins will be short on rear bench knee room and shoulder room while seating 3 passengers (impression formed based on my experience with Ecosport). Fiesta hatch would at least have given a better knee room.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 20:31   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Another excellent move by Ford is to give the automatic version with the 1.5 L petrol. This may be because the 1.2 petrol will be severely under-powered to extract the benefits of the advanced DCT box, but FOrd deserves all appreciation for throwing the small car non-sense out of the box - Honda take a lesson from Ford.

However, I am really sad that it comes with 175 R14 tires even on the top variant. I am not asking for R16, but they should at least have provided 185 R15 for this car.
The 1.2L Petrol is a modified version of the Figo's 1.2L Petrol engine. Historically this engine never had an Auto transmission anywhere else, except for the 1.6L ZETEC Engine mated to a 4-Speed transmission in Central/South America.

Hence they wouldn't have been able to provide the DCT with the 1.2L anyways.

The 14" tires sure contribute to the 25+ KmpL right?
Old 14th July 2015, 21:56   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
In all probablity 'yes'. Ecosport facelift is anyways round the corner. It should definitely get this 100PS version. Manufacturing the same engine with different states of tune for similar segment products wont make much of a business sense I guess. But I hope they don't increase the prices any further. As it has already seen pretty steep price-rise since its launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I am not quite sure if this has already been reported here, but Motorbeam has an article that suggests it's indeed going to happen.
They better do. Obviously, the chaps at Ford wouldn't be doing a blunder of selling the more expensive Fiesta and Ecosport with the same engine in a lesser state of tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
In my view the cabin is far from plush. I did see a display car in a mall and unfortunately I was far from impressed with the look and feel in person. Biggest downer was the smallish speedometer console and grey plastic quality.
I also saw one in close proximity and the interiors did look decent and, to an extent, plush. I guess the impression is due to the light beige leather seats that the Titanium+ variant comes with. I completely agree on the instrument console though, it does look downmarket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
i20, i10 grand, Polo would still hold benchmarks for interior quality, infact Dzire is also more premium looking in my view.
Hyundais are class acts and easily the benchmarks in their respective segments when it comes to interior quality, fit and finish. Coming to the Dzire, I beg to differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
For me, the only downside I can find in the car is - the puny 14 inch tyres and the very simple looking instrument console! that might sound like nit-picking, but what else can I do, when a car looks so right?
You're spot on with your assessment. Those wheels and instrument console play spoilsport in an otherwise impressive package.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:38   #499
Senior - BHPian

The bump up in power is great news. I was wondering whether Ford used a VGT instead of FGT, but the reviews state otherwise.

The reviews also claim the punch from the updated engine is very evident. And we all know 8.6 BHP in Ford speak is quite a lot in the real world.

Now, I need to find a way to tap these numbers into the Fiesta.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 14:48   #500
BHPian

Probably the wrong thread to ask this question, but how is Ford's DCT when compared to VW's DSG, in terms of smoothness and reliability?
Old 15th July 2015, 15:44   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Probably the wrong thread to ask this question, but how is Ford's DCT when compared to VW's DSG, in terms of smoothness and reliability?
I remember the previous Fiesta offered a 1 lakh km warranty on the box. Says all about the reliability.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:59   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
The problems with VWs DSG is well documented. On the other hand, there have been no reports of failures with Ford's DCT. In addition Ford says the DCT is maintenance free for 10 years/240,000km. Link to Ford India website: http://www.india.ford.com/techsectio...=1249063348569.

Some discussions in the Ecosport thread indicate that Ford actually gives a 10 year warranty on the DCT box. Could not find any official word on it. But in any case, based on these points, the DCT can definitely be considered more reliable.

On the smoothness. The engine to which it is mated to plays a role in smoothness and performance. VW DSG's in India are mated to the Turbo petrol or Diesel engines which are a very good match with the DSG. Hence I would say that VW DSG cars would win a comparison on smoothness or performance.

The DCT's best match would have been to the Ecoboost. But we do not get that here.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 16:37   #503
BHPian

Found this in MSN.com today:

Quote:
Under the bonnet of the Ford Figo Aspire will be either a 1.2 litre, 4 cylinder petrol engine that produces 87 bhp or a 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder petrol engine that generates 110 bhp or a 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder diesel motor that delivers 99 bhp. Depending on the engine, Ford will also provide the option of a 5 speed manual gearbox and a 6 speed, double clutch automatic transmission. While the petrol manual and petrol automatic variants return 18.16 kpl and 17 kpl respectively, the diesel version (which is available only with a manual gearbox) has a fuel efficiency figure of 25.83 kpl.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:02   #504
BHPian

More specs comparisons but this time with a price estimate (ex showroom Delhi)of the Aspire by MotorBeam.com

The petrol & the diesel models of Figo Aspire vs DZire vs Zest vs Xcent vs Amaze
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-cap-petrol.jpg  

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-cap-diesel.jpg  

Last edited by tjacob : 15th July 2015 at 20:11. Reason: added more details.
tjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 21:20   #505
BHPian

Aspire seems like a superb proposal from Ford considering it will be priced sensibly.

Highly appreciate the safety features provided standard on all models.

However, I feel that Ford has started marketing it too soon if they plan to launch it in Diwali. They aired the promotions of the 'What Drives You' campaign and now there is a lull before the actual launch. Hyundai on the other hand has executed a very tight marketing campaign for the Creta leading to the upcoming launch.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:20   #506
BHPian

So, I saw the Aspire parked in my Cyber City office (same building where Ford has an office).
Here are the pics

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-front-v2.jpg
Fog lamps, the usual features and no projectors or LEDs

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-orvm-v2.jpg
Indicators in ORVM

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-dashboard-view-v2.jpg
Dashboard feels similar to Ecosport family, head rests are movable for all seats

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-front-seat-v2.jpg
Seats. I could see a SYNCIT button as well

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-rear-seat-v2.jpg
Rear seat legroom seems crunched, also a hump in floor board observed

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-rear-v2.jpg
There is no hatch release button, just a keyhole. No parking sensor, no reflectors on bumper

Apologies for clarity of pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-figo-aspire-wheel-v2.jpg  

turbospooler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:00   #507
BHPian

Ford India’s MD on why the Figo Aspire doesn’t get the EcoBoost engine.
Mr. Nigel Harris, Managing Director and President of Ford India, told Indian Autos Blog –

Quote:
Now that is a really sophisticated engine. There’s a lot of equipment that goes onto that engine, like the turbocharger and fuel injection system which pushes it up in price. So this segment is a real value conscious segment and you got to be careful you don’t push up too far. Another consideration is how much can you localize the engine. At the moment, for us, this engine is imported and that pushes up the cost.
ajnagpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:16   #508
Team-BHP Support

Zigwheels probably has the first full length review of the Figo Aspire. I'm very impressed with this car, specially if it comes with that 1.5 petrol automatic as announced. I have a Hyundai Xcent AT and it looks like the Aspire AT is a better car in many ways.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:35   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Media reviews and the way they are done amuses me The Zigwheels reviewer in this video for example, just repeats Ford PR material Fuel Efficiency figures, but for the common man out there it might sound as if they tested it themselves. Otherwise well shot and presented.
Old 16th July 2015, 12:57   #510
BHPian

Good review by Zigwheels, and seems like an overall good package. As per this review it handles very well like other Fords. I wish it is true and would love it if the official Team-BHP review confirms this. If there was a 110BHP 1.5 petrol MT, it could have been the spiritual successor of the 1.6 old Fiesta and Ikon In fact if the number plate was on the boot lid, it could have got the Ikon-ic look too.
Good move by Ford to give powerful engines in this segment, a must if they want to be ahead in the game.

Last edited by jetti : 16th July 2015 at 12:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks