Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2015, 21:18   #1006
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Wow thats bad bad news! I realized that manual petrol was not a street scorcher but this sounds like its even worse than the current Figo petrol (I've driven figo petrol and its decent in city)? Is the engine so lethargic? This can pose some risk when you expect the car to move ahead while overtaking but its stuck at the same speed.

I am a sedate driver and considering manual petrol variant, as my usage is limited and mostly within city. Guess only a test drive can clear these doubts.
Yes, TD is a must. Do insist on a slightly longer on in moderately crowded roads.
I was considering this as an upgrade and the TD made me not go ahead with this car.
The wife and I were actually awed while checking out the car in the showroom (not the boot though!) and once the car started to move on, it was downhill from there.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 6th September 2015 at 21:21. Reason: Correction
Old 6th September 2015, 22:55   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post

The petrol engine is a deal killer - period! It is way too lethargic - 88bhp power is nowhere to be tapped into. The engine forces you to drive sedately. If you got the organ the engine gives you a nice whirring sound. That's it! No change in speed.

I was in 40 at 4th gear and whatever acceleration i gave, the car stayed at 40 on a straight road. On downshifting, the speed increases at its own lethargic pace.
In my opinion 40 kmph is too less a speed to be in 4th gear in the first place. You should be trotting around in third gear at such speeds.
Most of the petrol cars would respond in a similar manner if they are geared accordingly.
nik hill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:19   #1008
BHPian

Guys, how did you find the Aspire's braking? I TD the Aspire yesterday ( A Titanium + Diesel) and I found out that under heavy braking the tyres do sort of lock up. This happened thrice and I've never seen anything like this before. The brakes work well and have enough bite but when you are about to stop,they lock up for a second or so.
Old 7th September 2015, 09:14   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Congrats on the new car KreativeGeek! The car in this shade looks awesome actually as compared to when I saw it on the brochure.

Just a question; how does the 1.5 diesel weigh up on the expressway run that you did now and the stability feel? if you have driven a dzire or an amaze, can you do a comparison please?

Thanks in advance and happy mile munching.
In comparison to Amaze, power delivery is almost on par, I am not sure how rev happy Amaze diesel engine is on the highway because I had driven a friends car in the city. NVH level is definitely better than Amaze.

I have driven a Maruti Swift Dzire LDI version (prior to 2015 launch) and found the engine to have noticeable lag on lower RPM's, body weight of the car is felt evidently.

While driving through Lonavala, I observed a stark difference in the way I used to drive between 2nd & 3rd gear on petrol vehicles pushing the pedal hard to maintain speed on hill climb, with Figo Aspire I was cruising comfortably at steady speed without the need to accelerate much and that too in 3rd and 4th gear.
KreativeGeek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 11:18   #1010
Senior - BHPian

So the last weekend was a 'Dry Day' for me and had pretty much decided to laze around doing nothing. What with my GT all clean and wrapped up, I could not even wriggle out an excuse from HM to wash it!!

I could only hold on till about 11am and the usual "Itch" to take out my GT for drive grew. When my friend called in to TD Aspire, I almost jumped off my balcony to join him.

So we landed at the Ford showroom besides VW Palace Cross for a quick TD of the 1.5 TDCI. Since there is no TBHP review yet of this stead, I really wanted to know how this machine fared against my GT.

This comparison is purely a personal view:

- I personally loved the stance, though not a big fan of sub-4m sedans. I think only the Accent looks better because of the smooth bonnet, unlike Aspire which looks dated with those 2 wash wipers jutting out.

- Getting into the car is a lot easier compared to Polo, which is low slung. I like the driver's view of the Aspire, which I felt was better than Tata Zest, which gave me a feeling of sitting in a mini SUV. I prefer sleeper class you see !!

- The steering adjusts only for Rake and not Reach on the Aspire. Polo offers both, but unlike in a Fiat, the Aspire still gave me a good & comfortable driving position in few adjustments.

- The clutch is super light compared to my GT. Though I have gotten used to the clutch play on my GT now, I realized how much effortless it is on the Aspire.

- One of the major factors that made me buy the Polo was the clean view of the windshield from the driver seat. What I mean is, I don't like the front wipers to be visible when I look through the windshield, which is quite the story in Aspire.

- The 1.5 TDCI engine on the Aspire is way quiet compared to the 1.6 TDI on my GT. However, I think that the new 1.5 TDI engines from VW are pretty much on a similar level, though the Korean 1.4 & 1.6 CRDI engines are a generation ahead in refinement.

- The fit and finish on the Aspire is good and though the door does not shut with the same 'Thud' as on a Fiesta/Ecosport, the bits and pieces are laid out quite well. Though I am not a big fan of all the buttons cluttered around the HU, the dual tone dash looks uber.

- Germans have an eye for detail which many manufacturers probably skimp/skip. For instance, on Polo/Vento (TDI), you cannot rev the RPM beyond 2.5k when in neutral but the Aspire TDCI engine has no such restrictions.

- After a long time, I felt at home driving the 1.5 TDCI engine on Aspire. The lag is as much as if not lower than on my GT. The way the Aspire picks up speed from low RPM's is commendable.

- The acceleration is brisk and though not as violent as my GT, Aspire is way better than many cars from a segment above in terms of propulsion.

The reason:

Figo Aspire (TDCI) - 1048 kg

P to W ratio - 95.41
T to W ratio - 205.15

1.6 GT TDI - 1156 kg

P to W ratio - 90.83
T to W ratio - 216.45

- The torque on Aspire is available at a very low RPM (215Nm@1750-3000rpm) and the engine lets you know with a push to the seat albeit in a well mannered way, unlike the GT (250Nm@1500-2000rpm) which just sticks you to the seat.

- I could not really feel the difference between the steering feel on my GT and the one on the Aspire. Ironically, the steering feels a bit stiff and lot more predictable on my GT, probably due to the 205 section rubber I have.

- The braking is 2 notches above my GT, probably 3 notches above a GT with OEM rubber.

- With 3 well fed adults on-board and the A/C running, the Aspire showed a tiny bit lag when accelerating. Again folks, this is purely because I am used to the 1.6 TDi, else its not even noticeable.

All in all, my friend was really convinced with the car and for the first time, he booked a car on the first TD itself. Now that speaks volumes.

P.S - I am a big fan of hatch backs and I can only imagine what a hot hatch the Figo 1.5 TDCI will be when launched.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th September 2015 at 11:21.
Vik0728 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 11:32   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
In my opinion 40 kmph is too less a speed to be in 4th gear in the first place. You should be trotting around in third gear at such speeds.
Most of the petrol cars would respond in a similar manner if they are geared accordingly.
Beg to differ here. I did a TD of Swift and Bolt petrol cars on the same day as I did the TD of the Aspire petrol.

40kmph on 4th gear is pretty much ideal on these cars and they had fair amount of power to get a move on. I was able to upshift to 5th in Swift at 45 kmph and Bolt at 50 kmph and the gear shift indicator also agrees with me.

However, in the case of Aspire, like I had mentioned earlier even downshifting to 3rd didn't seem to make the car eager to move on.

PS: During sedate driving I upshift to 5th at 40kmph in my A-star and the car has enough torque to accelerate more when required.
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 15:00   #1012
BHPian

Can someone tell me the size of the stock speakers in the Figo Aspire (both front and rear)?
Old 7th September 2015, 16:53   #1013
BHPian

Just back from a TD with the Aspire Titanium Diesel near my house at the Elliot's Beach Road in Chennai. The car was the usual Red color. A Zest was parked nearby and made for some interesting comparisons. Here are my impressions,

Exteriors

- Looks are certainly one of the best and the center of attraction is clearly the Ford Focus 2015 inspired grille. The side has its strong character lines which ends towards the boot section. The funny thing was, as I was walking towards the point where the Aspire was waiting, I saw a Bright red Zest parked at the end of my street. The Zest caught my attention with its high stance, neat rear styling and a front grille which looks second best after the Aspire. Then when I saw the Aspire, I noticed how low slung the Aspire felt as compared to the Zest. Overall, I would rate the Aspire's looks slightly better than the Zest. The only downer for the Zest is its Indica silhouette.

- Doors felt light and when I shut the door, it had a hollow feel, suggesting thinner sheet metal. The door handles felt fairly solid and easy to operate.

- Boot was well spaced and the SP mentioned that it was 359L and the top end will get a spare alloy.

- The SP also opened the bonnet to show me the engine. I saw a lot of metal than plastic and the bonnet bay was not tightly jammed together. I did expect a plastic cover on top the engine with TDCi badging, but was not there.

Exterior impression: Smart looks combined with decent fit and finish makes it the best looker in its class. I have to admit that the Zest is not far behind the Aspire in the looks department.

Interiors

- I sat inside the car in the driver seat and felt like I was sitting on top of a camel. Pointed out to the SP, who promptly helped me with the seat height adjuster and the lever worked perfectly. Legroom at the driver seat was ample and getting into a comfortable position is as easy as hitting the like button in Facebook.

- The pedals are well spaced out and just at the right resting point.

- The instrument cluster was very ordinary. A hooded binnacle would have been welcome.

- Indicator stalks are positioned on the right side and wiper controls on the left. Finally Ford!

- AC was a chiller and the controls at the bottom worked like a charm. The quality of the buttons and dials were good, though the dials could have been bigger in size. Knurled finish on the dials was classy.

- Air con vents worked solidly and threw out air just the way I wanted. Will impress any buyer.

- Back seat comfort at my front seating position (I'm 5 ft 11 inches) was good and three average size adults might find it manageable on short journeys. Rear arm rest available too and was comfortable. But again, when I peaked inside the Red Zest, the rear seat felt more spacious and much wider.

- Many storage spaces around the cabin to keep your smartphones and bottles.

- Listened to a good song on the Radio at medium volume, felt nice to my ears. Audiophiles will have a better judgement than me though.

Interior impressions: Good quality interiors with generous space and loads of storage for the passengers.

The Drive

- As I mentioned earlier, the seating position is easy to get comfortable and at my desired seat position, I was able to get a clear view through the front windshield and could even view the bonnet clearly. Hence judging the car was a walk in the park.

- Start the engine and it powers up with a distinct diesel clatter, but settles down nicely and is barely noticeable. Then I realise, the NVH of the car is outstanding.

- Slot the slick gearbox to first and release the clutch, and you find how light and progressive the clutch feels.

- I turn the steering wheel towards right and I was amazed how light the steering was. The SP said that it weighs in nicely as the speed increases.

- Now I press the accelerator, and then it takes off with enough grunt and as I make good progress, I find that the car has no turbo lag. It accelerates very linearly and gathers pace pretty quickly. Now I own an XUV which has that beast of an engine breathing out 140 bhp. I felt at home with the Aspire's engine behavior and the acceleration of the car did not disappoint me. The engine is also very tractable at high gears even at low speeds.

Side note: The SP said that almost every customer booked the Diesel Aspire and so far he alone has managed to get 130 bookings for MPL Ford, Velachery. Waiting period is 1.5 months and could rise upto 3 months next month.

- Steering is very accurate and was well weighted at all speeds.

- The brakes had a nice bite and worked as desired. The Aspire sheds speeds quickly.

Driving impressions:
Strong engine performance from the diesel and responsive steering a huge selling point for the Aspire.

Ride and handling

- I drove the car over some potholes and I found it to be better than my XUV (pre-facelift model). The ride was composed and dismissed potholes without any drama.

- I also went over some speed breakers and did not scrap the belly of the car. Both the front & rear suspensions worked silently.

- I tried to turn the car sharply at a right turn and there was some body roll. The tires were struggling for grip and the car is not as sharp as the Fiesta/Ikon. The Aspire is confidence inspiring as a whole when driven sedately. Enthusiasts will need to upgrade the tyres and work on the suspension.

Ride and handling impressions: An all rounder that will please all customers. Ride comfort is stellar while handling is not as sharp as other Fords.

Final impressions:
A very competent car loaded with first in class safety features that also has a punchy diesel engine and decent dynamics.

Pricing: The price of Trend D is 8L OTR Chennai and the Titanium (O) costs nearly 10L OTR.
karthick_b is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 19:30   #1014
BHPian

While we wait for our official August sales chart, Aspire has got some good numbers.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-list/48840461

5K cars on the first month is not a bad start at all .
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 00:08   #1015
BHPian

Saw an Aspire on the roads today in the official colors and must say looked proportionate and lovely. Kind of tugged at the heart. Waiting for a detailed review here.
Old 9th September 2015, 10:51   #1016
Senior - BHPian

After the recent drive on Figo Aspire 1.5 TDCI, I have been suggesting everybody (anybody) looking for a sub-4m car to try this offering from the American giant !!

Motorbeam have compiled a shootout between four of the sub-4m cars available in the market today

During my TD of the Aspire, I knew the moment I buried that throttle that this was a special offering. The above report has only confirmed my notion:

The Ford accelerates from 0-100 km/hr in massively quick 9.72 seconds

Personally, considering all the errors, this little sedan seems to have shattered the '0-100 km/hr in 10sec' barrier.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:32   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Beg to differ here. I did a TD of Swift and Bolt petrol cars on the same day as I did the TD of the Aspire petrol.

40kmph on 4th gear is pretty much ideal on these cars and they had fair amount of power to get a move on. I was able to upshift to 5th in Swift at 45 kmph and Bolt at 50 kmph and the gear shift indicator also agrees with me.

PS: During sedate driving I upshift to 5th at 40kmph in my A-star and the car has enough torque to accelerate more when required.
The following factors need to be considered before comparing the pickup of vehicles
1. What about the AC? Was it switched on/off in your comparison of various cars.
2. Number of people in the car
3. Gradient of the drive

Beyond this, there is a generic feel/experience of "pick up". I myself have test driven the Aspire Petrol and it seems very good for city driving. I was using the AC (20%) when driving, with 3 people apart from me on board, on a flat road.

There is an obvious chance that we compare the diesel/petrol versions of the same car, diesel being the clear winner, but to compare it with A-Star and say that the latter is better, is slightly far fetched. I beg to differ from the opinion and also enlighten other forum users who purely might get mislead about the pickup, with such comparison, if any.
kaushik_ak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:52   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
The following factors need to be considered before comparing the pickup of vehicles
1. What about the AC? Was it switched on/off in your comparison of various cars.
2. Number of people in the car
3. Gradient of the drive

Beyond this, there is a generic feel/experience of "pick up". I myself have test driven the Aspire Petrol and it seems very good for city driving. I was using the AC (20%) when driving, with 3 people apart from me on board, on a flat road.

There is an obvious chance that we compare the diesel/petrol versions of the same car, diesel being the clear winner, but to compare it with A-Star and say that the latter is better, is slightly far fetched. I beg to differ from the opinion and also enlighten other forum users who purely might get mislead about the pickup, with such comparison, if any.
Hi Kaushik,
During my test drives the AC was always on in AUTO mode set at 23 degrees. The number of people on board were always 4 - 3 men and 1 lady in the case of Swift and Bolt and 2 men and 2 ladies in the case of Aspire to give an idea of passenger weights.

The drives were long enough in both moderate and light traffic to negate differences in the experience. In case if the aspire, I went for a second drive to confirm my opinion.

And if you see my earlier response in detail, I'm stating that 40 kmph in 4th gear is pretty normal for a petrol car. There was never a comparison of Aspire and A-star in terms of engine performance, thereby giving misleading information to others.

My original test drive experience post purely states my opinion on the petrol motor of the Aspire.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 9th September 2015 at 12:56. Reason: Spelling corrections
dheepak10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 15:20   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kaushik,
During my test drives the AC was always on in AUTO mode set at 23 degrees. The number of people on board were always 4 - 3 men and 1 lady in the case of Swift and Bolt and 2 men and 2 ladies in the case of Aspire to give an idea of passenger weights.

The drives were long enough in both moderate and light traffic to negate differences in the experience. In case if the aspire, I went for a second drive to confirm my opinion.

And if you see my earlier response in detail, I'm stating that 40 kmph in 4th gear is pretty normal for a petrol car. There was never a comparison of Aspire and A-star in terms of engine performance, thereby giving misleading information to others.

My original test drive experience post purely states my opinion on the petrol motor of the Aspire.
Mate, you mentioned in your previous post that your gear shifts were mostly aligned with the gear shift recommendation in the speedo console.

If I'm not mistaken, those suggestions are made purely from an FE point of view, and will surely result in sluggish acceleration as the RPM will be way too low.

I also think that 40 is too low for 4th gear, especially with small 1.2 engines. In my own Grand i10 petrol, I'm in 3rd gear at 40, anything higher and the car is dead as a dodo. In fact, I accelerate TILL 40 in 2nd and then move to 3rd if I need to make brisk progress.

Last edited by Parth46 : 9th September 2015 at 15:23.
Parth46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:17   #1020
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post

I also think that 40 is too low for 4th gear, especially with small 1.2 engines. In my own Grand i10 petrol, I'm in 3rd gear at 40, anything higher and the car is dead as a dodo. In fact, I accelerate TILL 40 in 2nd and then move to 3rd if I need to make brisk progress.
Thanks for your perspectives guys! I think it's truly incredible to see how divided yet unbiased our views can be. These discussions atleast doesn't eek of 'alleged' fanboy-ism and absolute resentment that we witness sometimes.

Personally, I think a test drive is a mandatory exercise for everyone who's considering this (or any) car. Case in point, everyone on the forum has swept aside the 1.2 Polo for its 3-pot petrol engine, and lauded the Jazz iVtec. With no offense to the more knowledgeable on the forum, I found the former to be much better equipped to be my ride for 5 years now than the Honda. The tractability and responsiveness of the 1.2 3-cylinder VW petrol engine helps me get through the drudgery of Mumbai traffic everyday, without having to rev it hard to get in the band and all that shebang! When we proclaim that the engine is dead and lifeless, let's bear in mind, not everyone is going to race against a stopwatch to work everyday, nor the normal run to the neighborhood grocery store are dependent on a rev-meter. For every 1.2, 3-cyl there'll be a 1.2 TSI; for every 1.2 Aspire, there'll be a 1.5. For every rev-happy iVtec, there'll be a TJet that rocks off its daylight, and for every 4 cyl 'epitome' of FTD, somewhere there'll be 6-cyl engine running rings around it.

Not claiming to compare blindfolded, the VW is 74 bhp, 110 nm engine, and petrol Aspire is 88 bhp, 112 nm. On paper, the drivability should not vary much. An ardent request to members, please judge the interior layout and exterior styling to typed-reviews, but the judgment of engine to your own inference from a test-drive!
methecupid is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks