Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2013, 23:00   #31
BHPian

Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
I think you may not be knowing (or biased) it's not regular 1.2 L petrol engined Liva but "Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo)" version with Etios petrol engine which features here.Thanks.
You have to understand Powerful engine doesnt make a driver's car, it has to have the dynamics no matter what engine it has.

Viper GTS has a crazy SRT V10 but it doesn't mean its a great driver's car over the 911 (let alone the GT3, even the regular version is far more better)which has less powerful motor. Alfa 4c has just 200 odd power but its still the best car than the 300+ Carrera. And i like the SRT more than the 911 and i still can accept 911 is the better car, so i wont call myself biased.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 24th November 2013 at 23:04.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 23:20   #32
BHPian

A thread that would catch every bhpians interest! Lovely.
Interesting to see Thar in this list!
Most cars feel somewhat pricey though, except for Ford Classic.
Still as a motorhead, Indian market is not a very pleasing sight. If you consider the options in different price brackets, from this list you dont have more than 1 option:
a) 3-4 Lac: Alto K10
b) 4-5 Lac: Brio
c) 5-6 Lac: Swift
d) 6-7 Lac: Liva TRD
e) 7-8 Lac: Polo TSi
f) 8-9 Lac: Polo GT TDI
g) 10 Lac+: Jetta/Octavia
Where's the competition? The sub 10 Lac market is so crowded today, you cannot even remember all cars!
powerband_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 23:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I also own the fiesta but in the diesel guise. Its low on power, but man is it still a "love to drive" car, always brings a smile.

Hopefully my next car would be the 3 series (I nearly bought one instead of the Jetta but backed out at the last minute).
Cheers to that man. The diesel engine is the weakest link to an overall perfect and affordable driver's car yet it indeed manages to put a smile on your face.

Oh and I wish you do manage to get the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
You're right but then again civic is no longer in production and hence makes it to used cars list or pre worshipped if you like.
Yeah. I kinda figured it out that it wasn't included in the list due to it being discontinued but I'm happy to learn that it's still a respected drivers' car.
Old 25th November 2013, 00:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Figo Diesel should make it here. Admit that its slow off the line, but it has a fantastic steering and handling package, mated to an engine that has terrific responses with zero turbo lag. Being at the wheel of a faster car, keeping a Figo Tdci behind you, will require frequent use of the gearbox, add to that, the precision of the suspension.

On the other hand, I do not find the Indian Linea T-Jet fast enough.
Old 25th November 2013, 00:35   #35
BHPian

Great list! Would really like to see this list maintained and updated as we get more drivers cars in the market (wishful thinking?)

I am not surprised at the City I-Vtec's omission whether it is on sale or not. I won a T-Jet, a remapped Fiesta 1.6 and the City I-Vtec. You would have to lose the Fiat and Ford keys for me to pick the City for a Ghat or Highway run. Just a nice motor alone doesn't complete the driving experience. On the other hand, happy to see two cars I own on the list
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 00:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Figo Diesel should make it here. Admit that its slow off the line, but it has a fantastic steering and handling package

On the other hand, I do not find the Indian Linea T-Jet fast enough.
Diesels have made to the list for the first time and why not. But the Figo at the price point offers low quality of build. If a slow diesel should make it there then i guess fiesta classic should or even punto 1.3 mjd. Linea is not fast enough because of the weight but add the driving dynamics, steering and ride, not even octavia can match.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 00:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Diesels have made to the list for the first time and why not. But the Figo at the price point offers low quality of build. If a slow diesel should make it there then i guess fiesta classic should or even punto 1.3 mjd. Linea is not fast enough because of the weight but add the driving dynamics, steering and ride, not even octavia can match.

There is no Fiesta Classic today, its the Ford Classic that is being sold. It shares the panels from the erstwhile Fiesta but the underpinnings are common with the Figo, even the steering rack is common across Figo and Classic. We have not seen too many people complain about the build quality of the Figo though.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 01:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Great article!

Just a question though, why were the sedan siblings of Brio (Amaze) and Swift (DZire) not specifically mentioned like the Vento/Rapid, even when DZire has almost the same specifications under its skin, and Amaze has a 90HP engine.

Rated the thread a well deserved 5 Star.

Last edited by dZired : 25th November 2013 at 01:04.
Old 25th November 2013, 02:27   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Just a question though, why were the sedan siblings of Brio (Amaze) and Swift (DZire) not specifically mentioned like the Vento/Rapid, even when DZire has almost the same specifications under its skin, and Amaze has a 90HP engine.
Do the Amaze and Dzire as well like their small brothers, Brio & Swift respectively?! I don't think so.

No idea about Vento/Rapid.

Anurag.
Old 25th November 2013, 06:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

An interesting thread GTO.
If I were on the lookout for a hatch (which I am not), although my next car will be a hatch, I would probably pick the Polo 1.2 GT TSI since I would go for an AT. The only thing that would hold me back would be concerns over the DSG - and the rear legroom. Even the notorious service concerns would be forgiven.
A Liva 1.5 AT would be interesting.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 06:31   #41
BHPian

Good thread GTO. It's good to see my car (Brio) is considered as an enthusiast's car. Honda City missed out from the list due to timing of this thread.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 07:47   #42
BHPian

I will happily trade in Brio's power for Figo's dynamics and super responsive steering.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 07:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic, despite being a bit dated, can still hold its own in the segment. One of my friends who graduated from the Civic to the new Octavia, the former being plagued by suspension issues courtesy his overzealous driver, had this to say: 'The Octavia is good, but there's still nothing to beat the Civic'. He's decided to get the civic's suspension repaired ( Rs 1.2 lakhs as quoted by A.S.S) and stick with it.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 07:55   #44
BHPian

Just curious - does not the Cruze make it to this list. I haven't driven it and hence have no idea but keep hearing about the grunt it has.
Old 25th November 2013, 08:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Listed below, in no particular order, are the best enthusiast cars on sale today. Only those with a price tag <20 lakhs have been included, to keep the lineup relevant & accessible to the vast majority of motorheads.
Great thread having this thread around the year end GTO. Looking forward now to the COTY thread too. I was looking around the thread for a poll where we could all opt our choices. Suggest to have one. Would be interesting to see how it goes.
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed