Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 22:30   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

now imagine what a stonker it would have been, to put the 1.6S from the old fiesta into the figo ? ford, look at what VW is doing with the polo...
should this have a turbo too ? oh yes !!!
Old 25th November 2013, 23:20   #77
BHPian

I give my vote to the Thar Di. Since the time I have bought it ( 3 and a half months now ), I haven't had the thought of touching another car. It might not be the most pragmatic vehicle, but the feel of the Di engine, the half canopy I have converter it to, the looks it attracts, makes my 2 K.M. drives to work such fun. I have to drive down to Ludhiana which is 110 K.M. from my home town Chandigarh every Saturday, The Thar Di has made my trips a much awaited activity for me. How true it is, for us BHPians it is just not point A to Point B! It is amazing how certain mysterious 'feels' of a vehicle can make u feel like Nirvana. I have named my Thar Di "Dope" for the 'feel' it gives me.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 23:31   #78
BHPian

Shouldnt Cruze be included in the list?

What about Maruti Gypsy?
Old 26th November 2013, 00:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I should clarify - this Jetta's not being discontinued worldwide, but it's apparently being discontinued in India. Please forgive me for not divulging too many details - I'm not trying to be deliberately secretive but I do have to respect my source's confidentiality. The reasons cited were (a) flagging sales of the Jetta which hasn't lived up to VW's sales expectations and (b) VAG India feels that the re-introduction of the Octavia marginalizes the Jetta even more.

Apparently if you step into a VW showroom today and ask to book a Jetta you'll be told that they've temporarily closed bookings but in reality they've suspended all production and will make the announcement early next year.
High chances that its true, since the new Octavia now launched is on MQB platform which even the next Jetta will be based on, but what is difficult to digest is why did VW facelift it, only for 3 months? I don't think so, or may be just to simplify parts inventory if the facelift is carried out globally. Also in the present situation the WAG hierarchy is all messed up, the Jetta is supposed to be above Octavia in all terms, but its the other way round. So naturally the balance needs to be restored, hence the new Jetta needs to come out soon?

In any case I don't anticipate much from the new Jetta and certainly it will be better than the new Octavia, just like the Laura and the present Jetta were until 2 months back.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 00:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
I give my vote to the Thar Di. Since the time I have bought it ( 3 and a half months now ), I haven't had the thought of touching another car. It might not be the most pragmatic vehicle
Jeeps are less practical and have bad road manners but boy they are fun once they are off the road. Are airless tires available in India? that will make it more fun for the jeepers.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 26th November 2013 at 00:35.
Old 26th November 2013, 01:58   #81
BHPian

I guess Figo should be in the list. The price - handling - stability - torque (diesel of course) equation is too sweet to miss out.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 07:46   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
- The Maruti Suzuki Kizashi. 180+ bhp on tap, with excellent handling. Forget the fuel bill, but the drive definitely puts a smile on the owner's face.
Surprised to see Kizhasi left out and Jetta included. I felt Jetta was a nice overall package with a good diesel engine - but never really brought a smile to the face.

Kizhasi fails in sales numbers, but thats not the point of this thread.
Old 26th November 2013, 14:01   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would've added the Figo, but it's too slow. Sibling, the Fiesta made it.
For all the Figo lover community / owners, can you please re-consider driving a nicely run-in Figo TDCi? Your opinion matters !

3+ years on Figo, still I smile each time I drive
SRKHYD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:42   #84
Senior - BHPian

Its such an irony, while most of these enthusiast cars are mainstream models, most are market duds or very far from being segment leaders for various reasons posted across multiple threads. This is only in terms of sales numbers.
  • Linea T-jet
  • GT TDI (while it is too early to comment, but judging based on 60k dicounts on a newly lanched model). This was always to remain niche model and was never expected to bring volume sales. The higher duties contribute partially to the higher tag.
  • I believe the GT TSI sales are nothing to write home about as the supply is kept very limited as the margin earning from a Vento TSI is much higher with minimal change in production cost between Vento and Polo TSI even after considering the additional duties on the Vento.
  • New Octavia Petrol DSG. Its still pretty new and the pricing is preety premium. No doubt about the fact that the car does have super premium features. Its still a wait and watch game for this. Laura TSI was never a hot seller either.
  • Jetta TDI - The sales are nothing to write about. Sidelined by the feature-rich Skodas to a certian extent. On a side side every VW dealer talks about pathetic Skoda service when you pitch a corresponding Skoda product against the VW model. Hope their daddies are listening.
  • Toyota Liva - overall orthodox styling and less than acceptable interiors quality as well as looks. Performance-wise no better than the entry level Toyota sedan. Higher price due to added duties.
  • Fiesta classic did enjoy its moment in the diesel guise. The petrol was never a hot seller but still seems to have done average volumes. Dismal FE. Lowest (ARAI numbers) among any car < 12L
  • Brio - i10 despite being an older model was selling in multiples of the Brio. With the Grand i10, the battle looks one sided in favor of the Korean power. The real world price difference between the Brio and Grand i10 is less than 20k in most places. While the Amaze has brought numbers, lower Brio sales was acceptable as Amaze has superior margins.

At max, what these models surely have done is provide the manufatcturer with
- showcasing advanced technology
- bragging powers
- retain or enhance brand value and perspective
- help expand product portfolio

Swift and the K10 Alto seem to be only ones doing really well.

Last edited by dipen : 26th November 2013 at 14:46.
dipen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:45   #85
BHPian

Great compilation GTO, Thanks!

The list is dominated by Volkswagen/Skoda and doesn't include a single car from Hyundai. Seems like passion for driving and after sales service don't really go well together .
shobhit.shri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:39   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the appreciation, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
IMO one more car that needs to be added in this list is the Ford Figo tdci.
It's mechanically identical sibling - the Fiesta - is indeed present.

However, the Figo is too slow. 0 - 100 of 16 seconds makes it a slow car (slower than even some people mover vans), however good the steering & dynamics are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
So atleast both the cars we have are fun to drive though none are costly cars.
One of the purposes of this thread: Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT need to spend money to have fun. I've had the time of my life pushing an Alto K10 on the twisties . That car is a high-powered gokart man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
Since when is Liva an enthusiast car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
You have to understand Powerful engine doesnt make a driver's car, it has to have the dynamics no matter what engine it has.
Not the regular Liva, this is the 1.5L TRD. Take it to the mountains and you'll be surprised by its neutral handling. For the record, the Etios is amongst the best handlers from its segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
then wouldn't the sheer punch the Cruze provides, warrant a place for the car here?
The new Cruze has tamer power delivery. It's nowhere as dynamically accomplished as the Europeans either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Ecosport 1.0 should probably be on this list,
Excellent by SUV standards, no doubt. But the sedans & hatchbacks do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Just a question though, why were the sedan siblings of Brio (Amaze) and Swift (DZire) not specifically mentioned like the Vento/Rapid
They are very different to drive. For instance, the Swift corners noticeably better than the softened Dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Looking forward now to the COTY thread too.
Next month

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
also the new Verna 1.6 diesel is now much better in terms of handling as compared to its previous avtar with power at the disposal of the driver.
The new Verna might be better than the old, but that's not saying too much. It's still a sloppy handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If one wants to own a (real) SUV or a MUV, and loves to drive, what are his choices? Which cars in this segment have the best engine, ride & handling combination?
EcoSport & Duster. XUV500 isn't too bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If the Suzuki Kizashi is still on sale, this car needs to be here.
Maruti has stopped importing the Kizashi since over 6 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Incidentally, the current Jetta's been discontinued by VW. If the announcement's not been made yet expect them to drop the bomb in Jan or Feb 2014.
I think you mean the Passat.

Jetta? No chance man.

1. It's been selling decently well (usually over 200 cars / month).

2. Just facelifted.

3. VW needs to have presence in the 15 - 20 lakh segment.

The Passat, on the other hand, is a market dud. I won't be surprised if the curtains are pulled on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Not sure if this can make the cut here but to me one of the finest enthusiast's car in our market was the Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5.
I love the Lancer too! It's no longer in production though, thus isn't on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Skoda Superb 3.6 V6. Rare car, only available pre-owned, but if one can get one's hand on a good example (and doesn't mind the fuel and maintenance bill) this is THE car to make any competition (even twice or thrice as expensive) eat dust.
You know, I loved the Superb 3.6 V6 too. Until I spent extended time behind the wheel. It's wheelbase is much too long to make it any fun (zero agility), the steering is dead and the AWD takes driving pleasure away....much too uninvolving. It is honestly ponderous on the twisties. Give me a base variant RWD 1 / 3 series over the Superb V6 any which day.

Plus, no longer on sale in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
What about Maruti Gypsy?
Already mentioned (in the Thar post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
doesn't include a single car from Hyundai. Seems like passion for driving and after sales service don't really go well together .
Perhaps, this development could improve future cars from Hyundai!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:08   #87
BHPian

Great Article GTO,

Why is Chevy Cruze missing?
Isnt it the fastest diesel on this side of 15 lakhs.
Old 26th November 2013, 17:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti has stopped importing the Kizashi since over 6 months now.
I completely overlooked the absence of the Kizashi. Yes, Maruti has stopped importing the car but you can still walk into the showroom and order one with no discounts and a 2 month odd waiting period for Suzuki to have it imported. So I guess in a way it is still on sale.
Old 26th November 2013, 17:59   #89
BHPian

One thing common to a major chunk of replies and comments on the thread is that most owners are pushing their case for their cars to be on the list. Emotions run a bit high when they realize their dream car is not exactly the dream car others look for!!
A figo may be the best thing that has happened to many, the look of admiration a Thar gets may be the high point in the daily monotonous commute for the Thar owners, but that doesnt necessarily make that a dream or a hoot of car for the others. I truly understand there are other cars which may make the list if someone else compiles it, but then to each his own. No point in arguing, fighting your case and trying to get your drive on the list GTO has compiled.
Roomy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:11   #90
BHPian

I think the new Fiesta even with its average powered engines needs to be mentioned in the list.
We have few cars with great engines and just above average dynamics mentioned in the list. We can also have great handling cars with decent engine options as well.

New fiesta is totally different from the existing Classic model and offers one of the best eps in the market. Dynamics has always been exemplary with Ford cars. Some more punch from the engine could have made it a real drivers car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks