Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 11:16   #361
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The outgoing city had airbags as standard across all variants.( I think apart from the corporate edition). So I think it's safe to assume that will continue.
I believe the Corporate edition also had air bags. Honda is the only one company which believes in safety across all variants.
Old 15th December 2013, 11:37   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post

I believe the Corporate edition also had air bags. Honda is the only one company which believes in safety across all variants.
It all boils down to cost factor. There is nothing like Honda believes in safety across all variants. The same Honda Brio for instance doesn't have all safety features standard across the range.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 12:54   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The GC figures quoted are total red herrings. What is the lowest part of a car - it is smack between the front wheels, which rides over the bumps!
Indeed. Ground Clearance should not be judged from the raised height of the boot, rather from the spring-mounting plates in the rear and/or the engine guard section provided between the front wheels.

The lowest part of the Honda City are the rear wheel spring plates, and while I am happy to report that the boosted Ground Clearance (165 mm from 160 mm) for the facelifted 2012 City helped immensely in not scraping moderately-sized speed breakers for 1-2 persons on board, it still scraped them when fully loaded (4 people + luggage).

Refer to this pic from my latest service report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by em17 View Post
This looks like a variant lower than the top end.
Missing out on : Start Stop, Fogs, Leather Seats.

Still has : Alloys, ACC, Touch Screen Audio, Cruise control.
And is a diesel.
Fog lamps are present. Watch closely at the front picture and you can make them out.

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-1509132_680952845269731_1878437665_n.jpg

This looks like either the V or the VX variant. I am inclined towards the former, since the badge at the rear (on the right, which says "V") seems shorter.

Which makes me think that the Start/Stop button will be reserved for the VX variants - normal and Sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The outgoing city had airbags as standard across all variants.( I think apart from the corporate edition). So I think it's safe to assume that will continue.
Even the Corporate Edition had twin Airbags, ABS and EBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It all boils down to cost factor. There is nothing like Honda believes in safety across all variants. The same Honda Brio for instance doesn't have all safety features standard across the range.
Somewhat true, although I would assume that providing all safety features in the Brio's lowest variant wouldn't have been possible at that pricing, and be competitive in the segment as well. (I believe the safety features start from the S(O) MT onwards)

But taking the City's segment into equation - when I started my research for a new car couple of years back, none of the cars back then had safety features in their introducing variants. The Verna didn't have it (ABS, EBD & driver airbag were provided in the 1.6, close to 9L OTR), Vento didn't have it (not provided even in the later-introduced Comfortline, only Highline has it), Linea didn't have it (the Active variants), heck even the DZire doesn't have it in it's VXI trim!

The only car which was launched back then with almost all safety features across it's range was the new Fiesta (Ambiente has only driver airbag though), but the initial launch pricing by Ford was so atrociously high that the 2012 City with it's full safety feature list at that unbeatable price seemed tremendous VFM.

Ex-showroom 7.15L, ~7.9L OTR. The Vento Trendline's ex-showroom price started at 8L. Beat that, competitors!

I had almost zeroed in on the Verna 1.6 just for the gizmos and features alone (driver airbag would have been sufficient for me), but with a 3-month old princess who had just entered my life, a whole new world of responsibilities had opened for me. Despite the luxury of having the Hyundai A.S.S. center in my own city and a chance to own the bestseller of the C2 segment for it's long list of gizmos, I went for the Honda City, which has it's A.S.S. center 300 kms away from my home, because safety took priority over everything else, even over the creature comforts and the frills which the Verna would have provided. The Honda badge, the i-VTEC's reliability and full safety features on offer (in my budget) tilted it in it's favor.

Not to mention, I had the option of getting a fully-loaded hatch at that pricing (i20 Asta, Jazz X), but went for a sedan just for the added feel of safety and security alone. Funny how our priorities change with time - if I wasn't married with a newly-born child, the Verna or the i20 would be sitting in our garage right now.

Looking back, I don't regret my decision one bit.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th December 2013 at 13:00.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 08:49   #364
BHPian

As pointed out earlier by a few BHP-ians it is confirmed that the embargo of the media drive program expires by 17 Dec and we can expect to see the first drive reports & feedback from all the major auto journalists starting tomorrow.

Iam sure the experts from TBHP would have been a part of the program and hopefully we can see the official review thread tomorrow morning.

Lets see whats in the store & if Honda really lived to the expectations and Hype around this launch.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 11:33   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Even the Corporate Edition had twin Airbags, ABS and EBD.

Somewhat true, although I would assume that providing all safety features in the Brio's lowest variant wouldn't have been possible at that pricing, and be competitive in the segment as well. (I believe the safety features start from the S(O) MT onwards)

But taking the City's segment into equation - when I started my research for a new car couple of years back, none of the cars back then had safety features in their introducing variants. The Verna didn't have it (ABS, EBD & driver airbag were provided in the 1.6, close to 9L OTR), Vento didn't have it (not provided even in the later-introduced Comfortline, only Highline has it), Linea didn't have it (the Active variants), heck even the DZire doesn't have it in it's VXI trim!

The only car which was launched back then with almost all safety features across it's range was the new Fiesta (Ambiente has only driver airbag though), but the initial launch pricing by Ford was so atrociously high that the 2012 City with it's full safety feature list at that unbeatable price seemed tremendous VFM.

Ex-showroom 7.15L, ~7.9L OTR. The Vento Trendline's ex-showroom price started at 8L. Beat that, competitors!

I had almost zeroed in on the Verna 1.6 just for the gizmos and features alone (driver airbag would have been sufficient for me), but with a 3-month old princess who had just entered my life, a whole new world of responsibilities had opened for me. Despite the luxury of having the Hyundai A.S.S. center in my own city and a chance to own the bestseller of the C2 segment for it's long list of gizmos, I went for the Honda City, which has it's A.S.S. center 300 kms away from my home, because safety took priority over everything else, even over the creature comforts and the frills which the Verna would have provided. The Honda badge, the i-VTEC's reliability and full safety features on offer (in my budget) tilted it in it's favor.
@RavenAvi,

Not nitpicking, but, I am sure you are not carrying your daughter in the front seats, especially when there is front passenger airbag, & not without a child seat that can be fastened using the seatbelt at the rear... but, the Honda City also does not have an Isofix.

So till date you have been carrying your daughter in same level of safety, in the City as in a Verna or a Fiesta, had you not opted for City.

However, it is no doubt that, with the 2 airbags it is safer then either of the two, & the i-Vtec engine is a gem, for which one can go for it with eyes closed.

But, I disagree with your comment that your infant daughter is safer in the City.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 12:05   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
...Iam sure the experts from TBHP would have been a part of the program and hopefully we can see the official review thread tomorrow morning...
I would NOT think so. Going by the past trend, t-bhp reviews are usually out ONLY on the actual date of launch.

So we would have to be content with the reviews / feedback on other sites till then.
Old 17th December 2013, 00:02   #367
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We're currently adding the finishing touches to our review of the Honda City.

Will be up tomorrow late evening. Till then...

EDIT on 17th December, 2013: Team-BHP's Official Review of the Honda City has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2013 at 18:31. Reason: Link to review
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks