Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 16:32   #76
BANNED

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Lets get on thing clear - 'It is an all new car and not a refresh of the older car'. It is basically a stretched Jazz (new) and if we notice, the new Jazz itself is not very different from the outgoing one.
The Jazz was the hatchback version of the City on the same floorpan!
Old 25th November 2013, 16:32   #77
Team-BHP Support

It was probably the most eagerly awaited unveil of the year. Honda has finally revealed the fourth-generation City.

Link to News Article
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:38   #78
Team-BHP Support

My god how similar are the YL1 and the New City. It's not just the rear. Look at the central crease along the side:

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th November 2013 at 16:42.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:43   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
No offence but, I highly doubt the reliability of the source.
Agree mate, this is an early birder but generally Carwale are fed data by Autobild. Autobild does provide credible information especially for cars that are globally released because of their network.

Let us wait and watch though
Old 25th November 2013, 16:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Lets get on thing clear - 'It is an all new car and not a refresh of the older car'. It is basically a stretched Jazz (new) and if we notice, the new Jazz itself is not very different from the outgoing one.

Having said that, it is a little disappointing to see very little exterior changes to the car. There was a time when one did not have any clue of what the next new Honda would look. They bold, Dynamic and had the guts to do something out of your imagination. To understand better, just have a look at the previous 3 generations of the City. Each a revolution over the previous one and them same was reiterated by Autocar when they said that the new Jazz is only an evolution and no revolution. One just feels that Honda has lost it's killer instinct that it once had.

Pricing will be important here as the competition, as aggressive as Hyundai, will not sit quite. If they price it significantly higher than the competition, then it would be the same case as with the pricing of the original Jazz. It made an expensive i20 made to look VFM.

Fingers Crossed X !
I for one is not really disappointed with the exterior styling. It is anytime better than the Crider design theme. Also I think it will look more sharper in flesh than it appears in the pic.
This is the current trend I guess. The new Swift, The upcoming new Linea or for that matter the new X5 all look very much similar to the outgoing model.
Good to see Honda this time concentrating on the area in which they were lacking the most, Interiors and Features. The only thing lacking are the projector headlamps.
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I think they should have made the lower part of the dash also beige and make the floor in black/gray. Beige should be present here it adds to the airy feeling and not there where it can get dirty.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:57   #82
BHPian

Good Car or Bad Car, Winner or Loser all will be decided on PRICE.

Right now, its anyone's guess, fair enough the car looks all right and I feel internally it is much better than its predecessor, but as some one rightly pointed out, it just brings it on par with the Verna, there has been nothing significantly game changing for some one to say that this is clearly the winner. They should have done a little bit more to the exterior but still its not bad.
Old 25th November 2013, 17:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Press Release:-

Quote:
Honda unveils All New 4th Generation Honda City at a World Premiere in India
  • All New City to be launched with Diesel and Petrol
  • Starts pre-launch bookings for January 2014 launch
New Delhi, Monday, November 25, 2013: Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL), leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, today unveiled the all-new 4th Generation Honda City at a World Premiere event in India. The world’s first glimpse of the car also marked the introduction of 1.5L i-DTEC diesel engine in the all-new City. Scheduled to be launched in January 2014, the pre-launch bookings of the model have begun across the country.

The all-new Honda City has been developed at Honda R&D centre located in Tochigi, Japan following extensive market surveys in India, ASEAN countries and other markets for people’s driving needs and lifestyles. The development of all-new Honda City adopts Honda’s new ‘global operation reform’ of concurrent development and implementation of locally optimized design drawings to realize the best vehicle specifications with speed, affordability and low CO2 emissions for our customers.

India, being a key strategic market for Honda in the Asia and Oceania region, has been specifically chosen to lead the global production for the All New Honda City with the 1.5L i-DTEC diesel engine which is already gaining popularity in the country. This makes India the first country to manufacture and sell the All New City, which will eventually be sold in 60 markets to help expand Honda’s footprint in some of the fastest growing auto markets in the world.

The grand concept for the all-new City is No 1 mid-size sedan impressing the whole world by being an Advanced Cool Stunner. "Stunner" is at the core of this concept and reflects sophistication and vigor while in motion and a striking presence when standing still.

The development concept focused on three aspects: Advanced Sporty Design, Best Comfort and Best Fuel Efficiency.

Advanced Sporty Design

The All New Honda City expresses Honda’s new design concept "Exciting H Design" and will be the first model in India to adopt this new design concept promoting unique character and strong presence. This design concept boasts of a Solid Wing Face, Well Toned Athlete Form body and Finely Honed Surfacing on the exterior.

The new Sleek Cross-motion form exterior styling of the 4th Generation Honda City represents a breakthrough amongst conventional sedan styling uniting powerful One Motion Styling and elegant Coupe Styling to create a new expression with sporty feeling appropriate to Honda. Advanced in every way, it is the perfect look for the benchmark mid sized sedan. The All New Honda City is sure to be the most stunning car on Indian roads.

Best Comfort

The packaging of the All New City delivers cleverly generated interior space that exceeds its class by further evolving Honda's "man maximum machine minimum" concept which aims at maximizing the space available for people and minimizing the space required for mechanical components. While maintaining compact dimensions and realizing longer wheelbase, efficient use of space has been made for both driver and occupants to create a spacious interior cabin with widest front seat space and rear seat space beyond its class. The All New City measures 4440 mm in length (same as its predecessor), 1695 mm in width (same as outgoing model), 1495 mm in height (10 mm more than the outgoing model) and 2600 mm as the wheelbase (extended by an additional 50 mm over outgoing model).

In the most spacious and comfortable City that has been possible ever, the sophisticated and futuristic Layered Floating Cockpit takes refinement and ease of driving to the next level. The cockpit’s controls are concentrated for driver convenience and can be operated like a smartphone. For fun, comfortable driving, the cockpit’s advanced interface gives the driver intuitive control and instant access to all important information.

Best Fuel Efficiency

The All New City adopts the best of Honda's powertrains to achieve best fuel efficiency performance. The Diesel variant of the City will be powered by the 1.5L 4 cylinder DOHC i-DTEC diesel engine. This engine has been developed exclusively for India considering Indian driving conditions and is based on the Honda’s latest 'Earth Dreams Technology' realizing both excellent driving performance and offering matchless fuel economy. The Petrol variant of the City will be powered by an improved 1.5L 4 cylinder SOHC i-VTEC petrol engine designed to offer the best balance of engine performance and fuel economy.

Speaking at the occasion of its global unveiling, Mr. Yoshiyuki Matsumoto, Managing Officer, Honda Motor Company and Representative of Development, Purchasing and Production in Asia & Oceania Region said, "Honda City is currently sold in 55 countries across the world. City is the leading brand of Honda in Asia and Oceania region and with the 4th generation Honda City, we aim to raise its popularity further and make it a significant future model in Honda’s global portfolio which will be available in many more countries."

Focusing on the role and importance of Honda City for HCIL's business, Mr Hironori Kanayama, President & CEO, Honda Cars India Ltd said, "With the unveiling of the all new City, we enter a new era of Honda’s dominance in premium cars. City brand has been the face of Honda in India, enjoying strong leadership and popularity in its segment ever since its launch. India has been the focus market for Honda City, thus it was befitting to have the global unveiling of the All New Honda City in India." "There has been very high anticipation amongst the Honda loyalists who have been eagerly waiting for the 4th Generation City and introduction of Diesel in the model. We are sure that the car will further strengthen the bond with our esteemed customers," he added.

Honda City has been one of the most successful car brands in India with very high brand equity. First introduced in India in January 1998 and later launched as 2nd generation in November 2003 and 3rd Generation in September 2008, Honda City has received a tremendous loyalty with over 4.3 lakh happy customers across the country. It is Honda’s most awarded car winning 12 J.D. Power Initial Quality Awards amongst many other accolades and recognitions.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/mediaC...aspx?pr_id=292

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th November 2013 at 17:10.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Ok so its finally here!

I remember in year 2008 when iVTEC City was launched it won many hearts because of the revolutionary complete revamp from the previous models. The design of 2009 model was so futuristic and modern that Honda could not do much changes in terms of exterior design. The 2009 City left the previous dolphin shaped Honda City completely outdated but this will not be the case this time which is actually good for the 3rd gen owners .

Now coming to this launch I am definitely impressed with the overall package. The best part is the diesel engine which is bit late but better late than never. As per my guess they are not making any change to the petrol engine in terms of torque/BHP and if this is not the case then it will be disappointing.

Feature wise this car is now loaded but again the tyre size looks same as before which again will be disappointing. Interiors are good - especially the blue illuminated central console.

Now I am sure Honda will not do any mistake in pricing the car correctly. Pricing of petrol variant should on the similar lines as before and even better if it is lower, wait is for the diesel variant pricing and more importantly the wait is for the official TEAM-BHP review!

Last edited by bluevolt : 25th November 2013 at 17:13.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Does this car look bad , not at all because the generation going out was a pretty mean looking car itself. So in that sense Honda is safe however , me among with , clearly , many other members am a bit disappointed with the final design , its almost like a climax which never came - the question is not whether it looks like the older one , the point really is that it does not do justice to the renders we have seen circulating all this while.

Great improvement on the specifications and the features but i am still a bit apprehensive of the interior quality , i have not seen the car nor was i at the event but some of the interior shots atleast make it appear to be at par with the outgoing version which was not really on the top.

But it should do as well if not better , a diesel being offered and the extra features a nice icing on the cake.
Old 25th November 2013, 17:30   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It will no doubt sell but considering the hype it is a bit of downer. It's clever to overlap with the old Civic by pushing it into a higher price band like killing 2 birds with one stone.
So is there any official communication that the City is going to be there only sedan offering in the C+ and D segments? I thought they will be bringing a replacement for the Civic once they are able to manage there Amaze bookings. I am not sure if one car can compete in its own segment and a segment above. Own segment and a segment below is manageable because of the aspirational value but I doubt someone willing to spend on a D segment car will downgrade.
Old 25th November 2013, 17:38   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So is there any official communication that the City is going to be there only sedan offering in the C+ and D segments? I thought they will be bringing a replacement for the Civic once they are able to manage there Amaze bookings. I am not sure if one car can compete in its own segment and a segment above. Own segment and a segment below is manageable because of the aspirational value but I doubt someone willing to spend on a D segment car will downgrade.
Well the D segment is slowing down. Sales are pretty low and a new Civic is probably not justified.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...a-et-al-9.html

Imagine Honda bring in the new Civic starting at 12-14 lakhs but that's where the City diesel top end tops out. Would you buy a Civic Petrol or the top end City diesel?

Even when both City and Civic were selling, customers were cross shopping. The Civic used to give 15BHP more with little more space but lower FE for 5lakhs more than City. Customers simply opted for the top end City since it offered 85% of what the Civic was giving but at 30-40% lower cost.

With the Amaze filling up till 8 lakhs, Honda can play with the City's pricing by starting just after the Amaze and ending near the older Civic.

When Honda launched the Amaze they stopped the corporate edition City and then the Auto boxes cause they were too close. This is perfect planning to have the new City start off in a higher price bracket.

PS: Just read this joke on the City. This is the 6th gen Honda city but the changes to exteriors are not a lot so will Honda call this the All new City 5S?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th November 2013 at 17:48.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:39   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Agree mate, this is an early birder but generally Carwale are fed data by Autobild. Autobild does provide credible information especially for cars that are globally released because of their network.

Let us wait and watch though
There's one more reason for me to doubt the credibility of the petrol version figures. The current City has a max power of 118 PS, which roughly translates to 116 bhp. The number in your chart shows 116 PS for petrol, which is even less than the current generation City with an identical torque figure. I think they have just put up the information from the current City with the assumption that the output will be the same because of the same petrol engine, just that they have goofed up the PS/bhp figure.

In reality, for the petrol version, the power figure should at least be the same as current, and I expect the torque to be improved.

I will not comment on reliability of the figures for iDTEC, though the power figure is less than the current Amaze (which is 100 PS I think?).

Last edited by Tats07 : 25th November 2013 at 17:42.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:04   #89
Team-BHP Support

The unveiling does make one feel what the hype was all about.
But overall the car is quite pleasing IMO. The outgoing City had a clean design and did age very well, and hence improving on that (or an evolution) make more sense than coming up with a completely new design. Infact I am happy with two things – Honda has not taken the fluidic route with the new City and secondly the rumour of Crider as the new City will remain as a rumour.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:15   #90
BHPian

Everyone seems to be disappointed with the exteriors!! I am glad the external dimensions remain the same, else the City will be more caaaaar and will not really be the perfect car for the City!! Its really not fair to compare the City with the Elantra or the Corolla since the latter cars are from a segment above.

I for one am really happy with how the new look has turned out. The rear looks amazing. And the front grill looks way more better than the old City.

Plus its got all the gadgets and gizmos the old City was found wanting. Plus the Diesel engine. I think the Vento/Rapid is going to find tough times ahead with buyers definitely opting for Honda with their eyes closed. Look at the Amaze story.

The old AVN version had Navigation. It would have been nice if that was here too. Of course they would increase the price by a lakh minimum for the petrol variants. Hope the AT comes with paddleshifts like before. Maybe they have left the projector lamps and some other goodies for later when the time comes to counter attack the Verna. Be sure that the Verna will counter the Honda onslaught with more features.

Let me just say this....Once you drive a Honda, you will fall in love with it...the whole feeling, ergonomics, comfort, how the space is packaged is just amazing be it any model from the Brio to the CRV.
microaubin is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks