Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 18:36   #91
BHPian

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I thought they will be bringing a replacement for the Civic once they are able to manage there Amaze bookings. I am not sure if one car can compete in its own segment and a segment above. Own segment and a segment below is manageable because of the aspirational value but I doubt someone willing to spend on a D segment car will downgrade.
I think they didn't bring the new Civic here since it was not as much a success the old Civic was in the North American markets. Maybe they might bring the next gen model once the new Corolla launches.

I doubt a D segment buyer would downgrade. Maybe a D segment buyer would just stretch and upgrade the second ride he has or was planning to buy.

One good thing is that when a C segment car pulls out more gadgets and gizmos, D segment cars will be forced to offer the same. Also the Ecosports and Terranos.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:37   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed, vb-san. Honda has followed the philosophy that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but whatever's broke, definitely fix it." The arrow-shot design is a big revolution in design in itself, and Honda couldn't do much more to top that. The all-new Civic with that new design didn't fare well in the acceptance department, did it? Honda has played it safe for now, until the next 5-6 years at least, till the next-gen City will be due (2019-2020 perhaps).

I still say that Civic-ish front and that all-new smashing rear gives a lot of added personality to what is already a wonderful existing design. Focusing on the positives, looks and features:-

1) Automatic Climate Control - A long, LONG pending feature is a welcome addition to the 2014 City.
And that comes as a full touchscreen unit now!

2) Fantastic looking speedo - Complimented with those lovely, blue dials and that soothing, soft green ambient meter light, it looks superb!
Shift indicator, clock, tripmeters all look classy. In addition to the tachometer, speedometer, instantaneous FE indicator, etc., I am really glad and relieved to see the Temperature Gauge back, that too in a fully digital format!

3) Lovely-looking all-new AC vents. They look remarkably wide, flat and rectangular and should have a wider area of dissipating than the current ones. Our official review should shed more light on their effectiveness.

4) The 5" HU looks fabulous. With all the functions it has - Bluetooth, USB, Aux, Reverse Camera, etc., it's a great & welcome addition. The existing HU on the current City was one of it's biggest let-downs.

5) The integrated USB port looks classy. Certainly better than the wire dangling for the existing City's HU.

6) Rear AC vents are another welcome addition. The existing City had floor vents under the front seat for the rear passengers which was difficult to access (needed a cut across the floor mat for them to be visible and effective) but that only managed to tickle their feet, that too when not wearing shoes! This is so much better.

7) I liked the existing steering a lot more. This one looks good and effective but somehow I feel it won't be as meaty to hold as the current one.

8) From the pics it seems like Honda has persisted with the fake dead pedal. I am not complaining but a proper dead pedal, even a smaller one, would have been more welcome.

9) Quality of fit and finish seems top notch. Although from one of the side pics of the front passenger's side, the quality of plastics used seems to be average.

10) ORVM-folding and adjustment buttons can be seen on the dash, on the right side of the steering wheel. To keep the driver door panel less cluttered? Auto Up/Down only for the driver's window again.

11) Gear knob looks different.

12) Boot space has marginally increased to 510 liters, from the existing 506 liters (thanks paultan.org). Still miles ahead from the competition.

13) No less than FOUR charging ports! Fantastic for those looking to carrying a wad of mobiles/laptops/tablets, when they are on the go.

14) Silver/black dash design looks dashing! I am glad they went for that over beige. Too drab these days.

15) The rear looks really classy, as if it belongs to a segment above (Jetta, Elantra, Corolla Altis, etc.) The small chrome piece in the center is complimented excellently with those new rear taillights. Overall, a HUGE thumbs-up.

16) Quarter windows on the rear door windows is always welcome. Makes the interiors seem open, fresh and airy.

17) Very disappointing alloy design. I would have preferred something on the lines of the 5-spoke ones (specially the Antares design), even of the existing City's S MT variant.

18) Foglamp casing is now all-black and grilled. Hopefully the plastic isn't too cheap down there.

19) Big grouse with that thick strip of chrome in the front grille. If they had to have that, why not borrow the design from the Fit or even the Vezel? Those ones are equally thick but look more pleasing to the eye. This one seems like a pick from the Modulo kit bins. But maybe that new grille didn't gel with the headlamp design (carried forward), hence discarded.

20) No projectors/DRLs is disappointing. But maybe Honda has saved that for the facelift due in the next 2-3 years. Or we just might see that included in the top variant after feedback is given in the next 2 months. Let's hope!

Overall, I am glad they retained the core design bits of the current-gen City and gave what the City most needed - a bunch of sleek features, new front/rear looks and a fantastic diesel heart. The current City sold well till the end of it's cycle just for it's looks and it's performance, and this one should take the legacy forward. It's got most things right for the Indian market now.

As for me, I will be one happy chappy to be behind the wheel of this one, hopefully for a long time. It's been almost six hours since the unveiling and the grin on my face hasn't gone off, and that itself says a lot!

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-allnewhondacityinindiagrille1024x682.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th November 2013 at 18:44.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:58   #93
BHPian

Not too sure as to why the majority here didn't like the Crider, however I felt interiors of the Crider looked much better than the 2014 City. Also, the exterior of the Crider overall has a better command and looks much more stately. The only thing about the Crider that I didn't like was the big fat front chrome grill.

Anyways, lets wait and see how the City looks in flesh. Might just change my mind as I need to buy a car in Jan-Feb next year.

Old 25th November 2013, 19:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

The looks are nothing much to write about. Its more love it or live with it. But Honda has a done a great job with the interiors. Looks like all the bells and whistles are included including ACC. We spend 90% of the time inside, so kudos on that. I don't care much for the looks.

Do you guys see a pattern in Honda City India releases since 2008? First Gen, great looks, not so great interiors, 2nd gen - plain exteriors, great interiors, 3 gen - great looks, initially poor interiors with bad plastics. 4th gen - modest exteriors, but great interiors? Is it just a coincidence?
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:04   #95
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

Nice coverage!
2 things:
1) Carpet is beige. Really tough to maintain however decently one uses it.
2) From the image it seemed that the pedals are a little too higher than the footwell. Was this the case or the beige is playing with my mind? @GTO or @Parrys can you please confirm?
Old 25th November 2013, 19:08   #96
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2013 at 15:54.
pankaj09 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2013, 19:26   #97
BHPian

I am impressed. Looks like Honda has a winner on its hand if it can get the pricing right.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Have they listed the color options that will be offered with the new City?
Old 25th November 2013, 19:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Honda has taken care of pretty much everything that was lacking in the outgoing City...but still the design is very predictable & evolutionary and missing that huge wow factor.

Having said that, it much better that the Amaze with it 'hatchback'ish front end.

I was also expecting to see the new Direct Injection Petrol engine (earth dreams) but the erstwhile tech-leader Honda has disappointed me there.

Any improvements to the AT? or is it carryover?
Old 25th November 2013, 19:41   #100

Four charging points and all is gimmicky and great, but I only hope that they have increased Ground Clearance.

Honda is in lala land when it comes to ground clearance and shock absorbers.

(Driving our princess Civic and City over speed breakers causes serious heartburn.)
Old 25th November 2013, 19:49   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some details of the engine as reported by autoevolution.

Quote:
As for the engines, the Indian market will benefit from a 1.5-liter diesel engine, which is market-specific. The new unit puts out 100 PS and 200 Nm and is derived from the Euro-spec 1.6-liter DTEC. The other engine available with the car will be a 1.4-liter i-VTEC petrol which makes 120 PS and 145 Nm of torque. Derived from the old 1.5-liter, this new four-cylinder benefits from friction reduction, reduced consumption and weight thanks to the use of aluminum.

Cheers!
Old 25th November 2013, 19:51   #102
BHPian

I am with mixed feelings. I am happy that Honda did not bring Crider to India. But the exterior of the new Honda City is not worth the hype. The front is designed especially chrome loving Indians and the rear looks similar to BMW. Anyways I am sure that it's going to attract buyers. It is good that Honda has added many features in 4th Gen City. Now Honda too following Hyundai's path by pampering buyers with features.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:04   #103
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2013 at 15:56.
nvssudheer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2013, 20:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

I am reasonably happy that they have not deviated too much from the design of existing City. The reason being, for me, this is one of the timeless designs in the segment. The Verna looked great when launched, but as time passed, it lost its charm for me. The city however still stays as my favourite design in the segment. By not changing it much, Honda have ensured that they didn't try to fix something that ain't broke.

By staying conservative they have played safe and why not? This is still one of the best looking designs in the segment even after so many years. With the Diesel powered mill this time round, I expect the City to give all other sedans a run for its money (assuming they have kept the NVH under control).
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 20:13   #105
BHPian

This thread is going to grow exponentially next to Ecosport official review page we had earlier this year. The pros and cons are piling up by looking into the pictures, but the real game changer will be the price. By the way is any one having the information on when we can have our hands on the test drive vehicles? Now I'm eagerly waiting for that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks