Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 20:22   #106
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

It definitely looks better than the outgoing City. The current City had started to look too familiar. I think the earlier gen City' were more revolutionary since City was still a new product and Honda was still developing it. Now that they achieved a high level refinement with current gen City they have made the new gen more evolutionary. I hope the pricing is right.

Also, I don't think this is close to the Civic at all. Civic is a hit car in markets like the US where no City is sold and Civic costs almost as much the City in India!
Old 25th November 2013, 20:25   #107

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
As an owner of the 3G Honda City, I am now not too disappointed that my car is now a generation older. External appearance is quite similar (interiors might be better with more equipment) & engine options appear to be the same (in petrol).

Had it been a game changer like the Civic was or with a new engine I would have been sadder.
Agreed! Although the stiffer chassis does make me as sad 20+HP on the newer car would have. The third generation car's chassis flexes a bit too much 150kmph+.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

I feel that the head lamps, if given that smoked effect of the current ( Oops! its previous Gen from today ) Gen city, would have made things better at the front, also, I personally do not like too much chrome on a sedan. Interiors look modern, but the door pad design harks back to the first Gen city! More attention should have been paid to the design there.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting car - much better equipped than the previous City and will likely do well with the Diesel and the Honda quality. However, what remains to be seen is how the petrol AT turns out - will they upgrade from the old school transmissions or will they stick to the same. Also wonder if the new turbo petrols will be offered as part of a mid cycle refresh here.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 20:40   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Imagine Honda bring in the new Civic starting at 12-14 lakhs but that's where the City diesel top end tops out. Would you buy a Civic Petrol or the top end City diesel?
But isn't that the case with all the car makers. VW, Skoda and Hyundai have all there c+ segment offerings reaching 12-13L and thats where there D segment offering petrol variants start from. And I am sure with the city priced at 13L, the civic will be priced even more. Also the base petrol variant hardly sells in the D segment. Another thing to note is that there is no point in bringing the Civic to our shores if its going to be a petrol variant only. Its the diesel that sells and a Civic diesel with the same engine perhaps in a higher state of tune can give the Elantra and Altis a run for there money.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:00   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Focusing on the positives, looks and features:-
The comfort features looks impressive, but any mention on the safety aspects? Since there are no explicit mention on safety, probably nothing much have got added there?
Old 25th November 2013, 21:04   #112
BHPian

As comapred to the last generation, what I like in latest offering are :

Rear AC vents - But, the plastic looks cheap
Touch screen monitor

Dislikes :

Front bumper is having sharp creases at the ends making it look cheap, the front of the car & the side profile do not gel smoothly. Honda made a ETIOS here!

Grill too much prominent, moustache look alike.

Fog lamps cuts look cheap.

Thumbs down to the dash board.

Tail lamps could have been better aligned

Skinny tyres, now with the increased dimensions, it should be minimum 195 width.

Increase in chasis rigidity by 24%, come on HONDA, how can you fool the people. The earlier chasis too was G-CON design, are they trying to say that the metal density has improved or what!

Last edited by breezydrive : 25th November 2013 at 21:05.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:15   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The comfort features looks impressive, but any mention on the safety aspects? Since there are no explicit mention on safety, probably nothing much have got added there?
They didn't show much about the safety features, so it should be the same as the current-gen City - ABS + EBD + 2 Airbags standard across the range. We might see ESP on the top variant and/or the AT.

One deviation which I have noticed is this:-

The presentation slide at the beginning showed a digital temperature gauge in the speedo.

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-1.gif

However, our Team-BHP pics in the opening post show the fuel gauge in the same space.

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-2.gif

Does that mean the temperature gauge is again glaringly absent/overlooked?
Or can it be accessed by toggling the knob provided with the speedo?
Or is that figure given (25/26* C) the engine temperature, OR the outside temperature?

No display for the gear-shift indicator on the tacho either.

Curious variations between the presentation and the actual end-product.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th November 2013 at 21:25.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 21:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
They didn't show much about the safety features, so it should be the same as the current-gen City - ABS + EBD + 2 Airbags standard across the range. We might see ESP on the top variant and/or the AT.

The presentation slide at the beginning showed a digital temperature gauge in the speedo.

Attachment 1171170

However, our Team-BHP pics in the opening post show the fuel gauge in the same space.

Attachment 1171171

Does that mean the temperature gauge is again glaringly absent/overlooked? Or can it be accessed by toggling the knob provided with the speedo? Or is that figure above the engine temperature OR the outside temperature?

I find both the pictures (presentation vis a vis actual vehicles) same! Am I missing something?
Old 25th November 2013, 21:23   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
I find both the pictures (presentation vis a vis actual vehicles) same! Am I missing something?
There are differences, if you look closely. Another one is the RPM redlinings in the Tachometer.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:26   #116
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1171170

Attachment 1171171

Does that mean the temperature gauge is again glaringly absent/overlooked? Or can it be accessed by toggling the knob provided with the speedo? Or is that figure above the engine temperature OR the outside temperature?

I think it is the outside temperature and there is no guage for engine temperature measurement and the guage below the temp. reading is of fuel guage.

Also, the gear indicator i guess shown in the presentation might be from an AT version as it resembles 'D2' and the model displayed here is the manual variant. Even for manual, it may be active once vehicle is on the move. Just my thoughts.

The one in the presentation is of petrol and the actual photo is from a diesel variant as the max. rpm values are different. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 25th November 2013 at 21:33.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 21:40   #117
BHPian

ABC pedals are adequately spaced out:
Attachment 1170996

Did anyone notice that the fuel lid release has moved forward from next to the seat to just above the bonnet release. Wonder how many owners will inadvertently open the bonnet while searching for the fuel release, especially at night.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are differences, if you look closely. Another one is the RPM redlinings in the Tachometer.

The RPM redlinings shown in the slide is for the Petrol while the TBHP photo is for the diesel one.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 22:06   #119
Senior - BHPian

Glad its not the Crider. I like what Honda has done to the exterior. Same dimensions on the outside but roomier compared to the 3rd generation. And I prefer evolution when the base is competent to start with. After all, there isn't much that has changed in the 2014 Fit. Hope the steering is direct and the handling is very predictable. Also, hoping for better refinement and punch from the Diesel.

The following are the things I have noticed:
1) The car is sitting too tall. They have increased the wheelbase and have jacked up the ground clearance. The new City begs for 16" alloys and bigger tyres. Moreover, the alloys looks very ordinary.
2) The beige carpets! What were they thinking? Thank God the dash is all black.
3) Missing height adjustable rear headrests.
4) I think the front grille in gloss black/ body colour would look better than that piece of chrome.
5) Is the rear wheel well missing the cladding as in most Hondas?
6) Temp gauge missing and slot occupied by an analog meter for showing instantaneous FE? Is the priority for FE, then the DTEC may have the same spec as the Amaze. Hope not.
7) Not sure whether I like the dash or not. Waiting to catch it in person.
8) Don't like the naked boot lid. Hope this will be rectified in the production version.
9) MSIL will be wondering what to do with the rear of the YL1. The resemblance is uncanny. That said, it is a very smart rear.

Lets wait for the pricing and spec!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 22:26   #120
BHPian

If you have the patience then here is the link to the 58mins webcast, probably works only on your smartphone haven't tried it on my lappy..

http://www.24framesdigital.com/Honda/mobile
Closed Thread

Most Viewed