Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 22:44   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Ahh, I must have zoned out for a moment up there. Thanks so much mates, vvrchandra & _raVan_.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Great improvement on the specifications and the features but i am still a bit apprehensive of the interior quality , i have not seen the car nor was i at the event but some of the interior shots atleast make it appear to be at par with the outgoing version which was not really on the top.
Here's an interior walkthrough video, as posted on IAB.

Looks classy and cool, although the glossy bits of the dash seem like huge fingerprint magnets. Could be a pain to maintain.

The Automatic Climate Control when turned ON:

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-allnewhondacityinindiatouchpanelautoacon.jpg

Also, two shots of the dashes when turned OFF and ON. Those blue rings look like majestic halos!

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-allnewhondacityinindiainstrumentclusteroff1024x682.jpg

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-allnewhondacityinindiainstrumentclusteron1024x682.jpg

SOURCES - http://indianautosblog.com/2013/11/n...y-video-106323

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/11/n...teriors-106331
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 22:54   #122
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India

Having read all the previous posts and the excitement leading up to the launch - the final out come is a bit of anti climax.

Personally I feel the earlier generation (3rd) was better as far as exteriors are concerned primarily due to aggressive aero dynamic display.

However it is a good thing that the New City has added more features to the interiors - namely ACC; Bluetooth; DVD; Reverse Camera etc. To my mind the 5 inch display is quite tiny compared to the dashboard and the inner space. An 8 inch display would have definitely lit up the space - considering that our mobiles are all 5 inch plus

It appears that all new City owners who are interested in Navigation - MMI will have to shell out extra for a separate kit as it is unlikely to be configured in the 5 inch display.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:57   #123
BHPian

The interiors look great, Honda has pulled a good stunt but hang on a minute the engine specs if same as the amaze, then the amaze will never be overlooked for a person with limited knowledge or limited cash at his disposal. A car should make you want to spend on its higher models or tempt you to spend more of your money. Wait for the jazz, now that will be a car which will take India by a storm.
Old 25th November 2013, 23:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Honda designers are going downhill since the launch of the last Civic (sold in India). While I agree the last gen city looks really good in 2008, the same design does not look so appealing in 2014. Add to that, these are the following issues I see with the car.

1. Interiors look very bad for a car of this price. It feels like bits and pieces borrowed from different part bins and glued together. Even the Grand i10 interiors look much better. Color combination is pretty awkward too. While the dash is black, the seats are totally beige; the ghastly brushed aluminium strip further ruins the design.
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-1170981d1385377550picsreport2014hondacityunveiledindia020city130181.jpg

In comparison, here are i10 and i20 interiors.
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-hyundaigrandi1001.jpg

Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-hyundaii2001.jpg

2. The music system looks very aftermarket.

3. The Start/Stop button is at a very odd place. Looks like a shoddy job.

4. The hazard light button is placed very oddly.

5. The boot lid is missing any kind of 'cover'.

6. Tail lamp looks so, so similar to YL1.

7. Alloys design is weird.

Bottom line, this design will age fast now with newer cars coming in. I'm pretty sure that the design will look very dated in 2019.

Totally disappointed!

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 25th November 2013 at 23:12.
blue_pulsar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 00:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Given that this model is primarily targeted at the "upwardly mobile" population of urban India (aged 25 to 35), it kind of fulfills all the basic requirements of this time. In terms of specs, it seems to match the segment leader Verna, and this alone should be good enough for the new 4th Gen City to catapult itself back into the limelight provided they do a good job with pricing. I am looking at an ex-showroom price range of 9 L for entry level petrol to 13 L for top end Diesel. Anything above this would be harmful and pit them closer to the likes of Corolla and Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
1. Interiors look very bad for a car of this price. It feels like bits and pieces borrowed from different part bins and glued together. Even the Grand i10 interiors look much better. Color combination is pretty awkward too. While the dash is black, the seats are totally beige; the ghastly brushed aluminium strip further ruins the design.
In comparison, here are i10 and i20 interiors.
I dont think that is a fair comparison given that the interior shot of Honda City is taken in bad light/flash which dies not really provides a good comparison to better shots of the Hyundais.

Last edited by vasoo : 26th November 2013 at 00:06.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:13   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Given that this model is primarily targeted at the "upwardly mobile" population of urban India (aged 25 to 35), it kind of fulfills all the basic requirements of this time.
Absolutely correct. Considering that the Indian market represents nearly 20% shareout of the total Honda City available in the world (as provided in today's launch ceremony); it appears that the 4th Generation City has targeted the aged group 25 to 35 who are looking for the basic features in C segment car. If they are planning to sell 6 million City worldwide by 2016-17 - (1.2 million in India) they are likely to achieve their target as the majority of the youth will be entering the said segment soon.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:24   #127
BHPian

I bought a Honda Amaze a week back. Its a iDtech S variant. Should I now regret that I should have waited a little more to buy this City?

But City's iDtech, I think, will be priced at around 11L+. If it is so, its beyond my budget.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:24   #128
Senior - BHPian

Guys i want you to see how lazy the Honda designers have been while designing the front end of this car !
Heres a comparison of the previous generation car with an official Honda Modulo Kit and the current car-
Attached Thumbnails
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India-honda-lazy.jpg  

nik_kapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 00:54   #129
BHPian

I for one have no issues with the new Honda City. Lets be frank and ask ourselves what do an overwhelming majority of Indians want in their car? The answers will be status, FE, reasonable power and a car loaded to the gills with all the various bells and whistles. Honda ticks all the right boxes and gives a car with all the features 95% people want. Lets not forget Honda is a public limited company with scores of investors to answer to and almost none of these investors are bothered about anything else other than the dividend they can get on each share they own. Hence Honda makes cars for the masses and not the petrol heads. Honda has a Type-R variant of its best sellers to appeal to the enthusiast and IMHO those cars are pretty good to.
The facelift of the Honda City which will come in after around 2-2.5 years will for sure feature the DI 1.5L Turbo petrol engine. The current L-Series 1.5 ivtec SOHC engine was launched globally in 2008 and by no means is it an old engine. The engine is one of the best petrols of the market in that price range and its popularity speaks for itself by the way the petrol only car sold during the diesel onslaught.
All in all, I am pretty happy with the next-gen City as Honda has improved on all the places it needed to improve in relation to the 3rd Gen City. Now it will be intresting to see the effect of the Diesel+Petrol fully loaded to the gills City's impact on the sales of the Ford EcoSport, the Hyundai Verna and the VW Vento/Skoda Rapid.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:58   #130
Team-BHP Support

Re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But isn't that the case with all the car makers. VW, Skoda and Hyundai have all there c+ segment offerings reaching 12-13L and thats where there D segment offering petrol variants start from. And I am sure with the city priced at 13L, the civic will be priced even more. Also the base petrol variant hardly sells in the D segment. Another thing to note is that there is no point in bringing the Civic to our shores if its going to be a petrol variant only. Its the diesel that sells and a Civic diesel with the same engine perhaps in a higher state of tune can give the Elantra and Altis a run for there money.
Yes but look at the sales numbers of Vento vs Jetta or Elantra vs Verna. Almost 10times. So why bother bringing in the Civic that will get 10% sales of what the City can do.
Old 26th November 2013, 01:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

Really , you give us just a facelift after all the hype.
Wake up honda

My two cents

1.disappointed design-looks ok for a face lift but bad for an all new generation.
2.dash looks very patchy and bowrrowed aftermarket, reminded me of the Reva E2O.
3.rotatory dials for auto AC are much better and practical than the arrow design.
4.finally a fully functional steering wheel.
5.the alloys look like a ceiling fan in motion.what happened to you honda?
6.bare boot looks bad, tail lamps look good though.
7.separate high and low beams, nice touch.
8.Alloys and tyres look too puny.
9.OEM rear view camera is a good thought.
10.upgrade from manual AC to automatic climate control.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 26th November 2013 at 01:58.
ecosport rules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 02:39   #132
BHPian

Really disappointed at the so called "new generation",looks more like mid life makeover.It is evolutionary at max.

Not happy with the interiors,not sure whether am the only one but quality looks shabby and the infotainment system looks like after market fit.

Alloy design is conservative and wheel size still is 15".

Was so looking forward to buy this but havebeen left disappointed big time.
Old 26th November 2013, 02:43   #133
BHPian

Frankly IMO, Its El-Cheapo Design ! The car looks plasticy..the Lights, the front end, sides and the rear look like direct lift from competitors..

And the Halo rings, what philips LED torch? And mind you the huge gap between the skinny tyres and the body..

Overall, it will sell in good numbers because Its India after all
Just my 2 cents..

Last edited by Naparajito : 26th November 2013 at 02:51.
Old 26th November 2013, 02:48   #134
BHPian

This new design of the Honda City looks like a result of a threesome fun between the yet to be launched Suzuki YL1, yet to be launched 2014 Toyota Corolla & the current generation Honda City.

Rear Design - SUZUKI YL1
Front Design - Well no awards here for guessing.
Interior Design (Dashboard) - 2014 Toyota Corolla

I like honda cars and most likely getting one of this new one as soon as its launched. But honestly HONDA if you're listening fire your designers or pay them more probably, coz clearly they are not working for whatever reason.

No matter what this car will do brilliantly sales wise because of the bulletproof engines. But this just doesn't look like a "NEW" model. This merely seems like very well done mid life Face Lift.

TWO things that I SIMPLY HATE are as follows:

First is the door pad design. This car would probably by all chances cost close to 15 Lakhs for the top end diesel models and just look at the door pads. The most uninspiring, boring and bland design I have seen or expect to see in cars. I mean I know its just a door pad but still it could have some nice contours that could flow from the dashboard. Right now it just seems as if the designers had to do something so they just drew a line in the center, painted one half in beige and the kept the other black to match the dash.

Second is the SILVER GARNISHING that honda has chosen for the dashboard. I mean the center console looks good and the lighting will probably make it look even better. But a piano black finish could have done the job better.

I'm honestly dissapointed, but who am I to say. This car will sell like hot cakes, and I'm sure I'll also grab a bite soon.

Last edited by Somu2009 : 26th November 2013 at 02:54.
Somu2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 03:37   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Guys i want you to see how lazy the Honda designers have been while designing the front end of this car ! Heres a comparison of the previous generation car with an official Honda Modulo Kit and the current car-
Totally agree,very uninspiring design and doesnt look like a car costing 12L.Another lac and you can get a Chevy Cruze.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks