Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 15:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X5 breaks down, locks itself up! Owner files PIL

I had a scary experience with my 320D locks, but it was just the opposite. After hitting an uneven depression at 3 digit speed with 4 people, backdoor lock’s 1 step opened and door become ajar. This triggered the alarm and the dash board panel light. All was normal after once the door was closed again. Though it is totally unacceptable in a Beemer, I’m yet to report the incident
gadadhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:58   #17
BHPian

No wonder all the BMW, Mercs & Audis have so little resale values after warranty is over. I am sure the buyer after warranty has nothing but a big white elephant to cater to.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
This is getting a daily routine now. Almost every other day there is a incident about a VAG group car/ luxury car breaking down. Most of the complaints are not catered to and customers being ill-treated.
Even though our roads and infrastructure is not as suited to these cars, IMHO it is the manufacturer's responsibility to sell vehicles in India which are suited to Indian conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I had a scary experience with my 320D locks, but it was just the opposite. After hitting an uneven depression at 3 digit speed with 4 people, backdoor lock’s 1 step opened and door become ajar. This triggered the alarm and the dash board panel light. All was normal after once the door was closed again. Though it is totally unacceptable in a Beemer, I’m yet to report the incident
This is really unacceptable even though these cars may be technologically superior (cutting edge et al). Surely these marquee brands are not that delicate that a biggish bump or dip on the road cannot be handled without upsetting the complex electronics?
They may as well put 'fragile - handle with care' stickers then.
wilful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably BMW can use this instance to advertise their cars against thefts! Tag line can be "We don't spare even the owners!"
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:13   #20
BHPian

OK, no BMW for me as I am claustrophobic! I was eying the X1 for a while but no more. Guess I will start looking at Q3 instead. Thanks for sharing.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 11:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Ideally the Company officials should have approached Consumer Court! Some cars may be road-worthy to some but for some others it may not be road-worthy. Do not know what relief they have sought in the PIL so can't comment. A PIL should be filed against the VAG cars as DSG/Mechatronic failure is far more serious & its present in cars all over the world.
I believe you can't approach he consumer court if the vehicle is not a personally owned vehicle. Further, the vehicle was imported so I'm not sure what's the deal on that with CCs.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
That way the Chevy Cruze has a neat safety feature that if the doors & windows get jammed you can drop the rear seat down & crawl into the boot & open the boot from Inside with the help of a lever & come out safe.
Sorry Karan, No offense...Is this mentioned in a lighter vein or seriously? I see that many people have concurred with your inputs. I am just confused..

Last edited by bsdbsd : 27th November 2013 at 11:40.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 14:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
All the German cars are designed for Autobahns.
As a corollary, the Indian roads (if they may be called roads?) are not designed for german cars (or any other earth cars for that matter!)

The german electronics shake themselves lose and trigger unnecessary reactions on our poor excuses for roads

Last edited by cpbopanna : 27th November 2013 at 14:07.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 14:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Poor me! I can't even crawl into the boot and open it. It's rivetted shut!

And how do you do that trick with four people and luggage?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 14:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
As a corollary, the Indian roads (if they may be called roads?) are not designed for german cars (or any other earth cars for that matter!)

The german electronics shake themselves lose and trigger unnecessary reactions on our poor excuses for roads
Agreed to some extent, but they should consider all this before launching in India
Old 27th November 2013, 14:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

Not really. A car launched in a specific market, should have the ability to handle the regular roads there. And the car in question is a SUV (or SAV in BMW terms); definitely not designed for autobahns only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Err, but should the Q3 not be compared with the BMW equivalent X3 instead of X1.
OT: Different manufacturers different naming conventions. Is there any rule that numbers has to match exactly? By the logic you mentioned, there should be a X7 to compare with Q7
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 15:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what the aggrieved owner wants. Glitches will be common even after homologation. Although this type of locking you in is really absurd. Cant expect anything to come out of the PIL.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 16:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not sure what the aggrieved owner wants. Glitches will be common even after homologation. Although this type of locking you in is really absurd. Cant expect anything to come out of the PIL.
Ask the effect of negative publicity to the team behind the Nano.
Old 27th November 2013, 16:12   #29
BHPian

As it was being discussed in the Volvo Bus Accident thread, even they seem to have not researched well before launching a "India friendly" vehicle. In their case they imported buses which were good enough for foreign countries but not for India.
This can be seen in bikes as well, companies know that bikes in India will be used to the limit, they need to be very rugged, the metal and other material should withstand the test but Honda and several other companies use such sub-standard parts in their bikes (just for an example, Unicorn's flimsy front suspension forks).

It is a general trend and we can't help it, companies launch products without any research about the use and the beating their vehicle will take here and hence we have so many cases of disgruntled customers and I think this will go on like this, things won't change soon.

Since the owner himself is a big-shot I hope he rather drags BMW to the court and makes them pay heftily for it, giving out a strong message to other European companies as well.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 16:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sorry Karan, No offense...Is this mentioned in a lighter vein or seriously? I see that many people have concurred with your inputs. I am just confused..
No problem, any way that wasn't a joke it seriously is a feature in the Cruze & it is called " Emergency Interior Trunk release "
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks