Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:23   #16
BHPian

Re: November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Look at that. 3800 units of the Santro up from 3000 units a month ago. This car still has its loyal followers. Having replaced a '99 Santro with another one in '08; i can definitely understand who makes up its clientele. Rugged mechanicals, trusty engine and a slick gearbox which never ever gives any troubles.

Sad to see the Safari + Storme combo dipping to sub 850 levels. Also dissapointed to see the Fortuner come down to the 1400 level. Maybe the SUV craze has waned off and people are plonking for the good old sedans.

Interesting numbers for the Duster and the Terrano; especially the petrol-diesel split. I am really surprised that the Petrol Terrano found 99 buyers. Deciding to invest 80k in the Terrano when those 80K would have bought them a diesel engine in the Duster (well almost). I had almost written off the Petrol Terrano but my logic was flawed

577 Trax's; Where are they? I dont see any new ones on the road.

The Estilo went up to 700 units from the previous month's 540 units (probably discount hunters now that it is discontinued). But the A-star stayed at the same 447 units from the previous month's 448 units (No discount hunters for such a fantastic driver oriented car?)

Zero Accord's. Another Hyundai Accent maybe?

Thanks for the analysis. Much appreciated!
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Look at that. 3800 units of the Santro up from 3000 units a month ago. This car still has its loyal followers. Having replaced a '99 Santro with another one in '08; i can definitely understand who makes up its clientele. Rugged mechanicals, trusty engine and a slick gearbox which never ever gives any troubles.

Sad to see the Safari + Storme combo dipping to sub 850 levels. Also dissapointed to see the Fortuner come down to the 1400 level. Maybe the SUV craze has waned off and people are plonking for the good old sedans.

Interesting numbers for the Duster and the Terrano; especially the petrol-diesel split. I am really surprised that the Petrol Terrano found 99 buyers. Deciding to invest 80k in the Terrano when those 80K would have bought them a diesel engine in the Duster (well almost). I had almost written off the Petrol Terrano but my logic was flawed

577 Trax's; Where are they? I dont see any new ones on the road.

The Estilo went up to 700 units from the previous month's 540 units (probably discount hunters now that it is discontinued). But the A-star stayed at the same 447 units from the previous month's 448 units (No discount hunters for such a fantastic driver oriented car?)

Zero Accord's. Another Hyundai Accent maybe?

Thanks for the analysis. Much appreciated!
Completely agree. Hats off to Santro! I have owned one for 6.5 years but for most part it was the neglected step child of the family :(. I know its sad but we hardly got it serviced over the last 2 years, even when we did get it, it went to the local mechanic for an oil change once in a while and nothing beyond it. Got the tyres changed last year because the old one had run 55k and this was the FIRST expenditure on the car since 2007 June. Talk about no nonsense reliability and maintenance costs.

I'm in the market for an AT and this November report makes me sad. I was hoping octavia numbers dip below 150, but with 300 sold in Nov, i don't expect any discounts from them soon. I think Skoda will be extremely satisfied with the demand. Early days, but my hopes have been dashed. Im sure most of the 300 would be MT and 1.4 and the overpriced 1.8 TSI wouldn't have sold much but still, 300 is a great number. I guess i will just throw in the towel and book one. Any of you are of the opinion that I should wait and theres still hope that Octavis numbers nose dive and theres a good chance of a discount or the introduction of a 1.8 TSI in elegance?

Again Zero accords!
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Honda amaze is missing in the petrol vs diesel list. During city launch, they mentioned that it is 70-30.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting long posts especially those containing images since this makes things difficult for our small-screen users.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd December 2013 at 22:27.
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:22   #19
BHPian

Any idea why Ford Endeavor has MoM sales increase of 445%?
I also see that this one is missed in the MoM Top Gainers list.

Conisdering the decline in Toyota Fortuner's sales, this increase has to have a good reason. May be Ford's year end offers?
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Ford is having some production issues. I don't see any other reasons for numbers to go down when the bookings are in excess of 60,000 and waiting periods are now 12 months in Bangalore. 4392 dispatches down from October 5K+ is ridiculous.

In comparison hats off to Hyundai and Honda. 11K units of Grand i10 and 7.5K units of the Amaze means they are increasing production to match the demand.

Heck even Renault Nissan are making more Terrano's/Duster's combined than Ford is making EcoSports. I'm beginning to see a lot of Terrano's on the road and I'm sure a few of them are from customers who cancelled the EcoSport.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:34   #21
BHPian

After the D1 segment, doesn't it look as if the sales in C2 segment are also decreasing steadily? Of course I mean only the sedans and not the SUV's/Compact SUV's, since those seem to be the ones replacing the sedans.

Very surprised at the low number of Octavias. Truth be told, yet to spot one on the road! Seems Honda is acting smart by not even attempting a shot in the D1 by re-introducing the Civic.

Not a healthy trend IMO, and goes to show how our infrastructure has lagged behind the overall growth of the economy.
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
All the big SUVs selling in excess of 500(read safari, scorpio, xuv, fortuner and even the duster) have got MoM drops ranging from 20 to 30 percent which is way more than the percentage that the overall market has shrunk from Oct to Nov 2013(~ 10%). Clearly the drop in duster numbers can be discounted on account of the numbers being added into the Terrano's kitty, therefore, this is more of an indication of the waning interest in the Truely Big SUVs. I think the craze for urban SUVs is still there pretty much and will continue to grow with the new launches lined up for the next 2 years.
Old 3rd December 2013, 04:01   #23
BHPian

Looks like TATA will loose the 4th position and will be moved to 6th after Honda starts selling new City. TATA needs to work fast at least to increase the quality of thier current product before they release new products to sutain in the market.
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Verito Vibe sales decline is not surprising. In fact, i am wondering how it is selling at this price point.

The Quanto is the other dud from M&M.
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
This time report came very fast. Like someone said, missing GTO's expert comments. Overall difficult month for automakers. Almost all heavyweights witnessed a fall in sales.
The effect of Diwali seen here. Companies have seen a fall in sales since Diwali this year was in end Oct compared to Nov last year.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great report Parrys :-)
All manufacturers have gone down MoM due to the spike during festival season and schemes around it.

The new Octavia seems to have got a below par response for such a long awaited launch. Just 4xx and 300 cars sold in first 2 months of launch - way lower than what the Laura and Octavia I managed IIRC. So, Skoda seems to have a challenge on their hands in the months ahead - they probably need to release lower priced variants, and improve A.S.S. experience.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Some observations:

You have manufacturers like honda, ford, renault, nissan that are dependent on one model being a hit and making it in the top 20 cars. Shows what a single successful model can do to your sales numbers and also brings its own risk to cash in on demand -- sales & production planning, supply chain, factory investments etc

Manufacturers like Chevorlet & Volkswagen not having a single model in top 20 but still having 3 & 2 % market share -- in fact more than renault & nissan who have only one model led sales story)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

So overall a very dry month for passenger car sales! Just 6 cars making it to the Top gainers list shows how negative the market has been performing through November. And look at the Top losers table, too many healthy (?!) figures there!

Nano is keeping with the other cars from the Tata stable - Read going down consistently !

So Grand i10 is the new Swift challenger! And Petrol : Diesel ratio is a stunning 6:4 ? Good sign of things to come. The Micra is a sad affair, despite the recent makeover and the new Active variant offering stellar VFM.

EcoSport is having severe delivery issues, hope customers in the waiting line don't lose their cool. Duster and Terrano are outselling the EcoSport! Most successful platform in the C segment then. City's "zero" is a sign of the impending storm, that will hit the market in Feb!

The D Segment sedans were a diminishing lot, and now they look like an endangered species, amidst all the SUVs making hay in that segment.

Fortuner doing 1000+ is no surprise to anyone, but the Endeavour suddenly selling 180 units after very many months is surprising, at a time when newer players like the Pajero Sport, Captiva, CR-V struggling to put up 3 digit sales figures.

Fiat is leading the growth chart for sometime now! But if they do not come up with newer, improved, interesting products soon enough, they might not keep that title for long! But they do have an action plan, hope it works for them.

In other news: Somebody bought a Kizashi, the third Kizashi this year, after the two gentlemen wo bought the Kizashi in Feb this year. Maybe 20-30 years later, these Kizashi's would become collector's items! Don't sell them owners, just don't I say

Last edited by aravind.anand : 3rd December 2013 at 09:22.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Amaze dives 20% MOM?? Honda wake up!
May be people are waiting for the new City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
Any idea why Ford Endeavor has MoM sales increase of 445%?
I also see that this one is missed in the MoM Top Gainers list
It is because the Endeavour sold just 33 units in October as opposed to 180 units in November.
Why is it not accounted in the gainers list? Because that list only includes cars selling over 500 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
TATA needs to work fast at least to increase the quality of thier current product before they release new products to sutain in the market.
Will they? Have they?
I just pray they do something to the Nano. For me, that car is an engineering marvel gone dud because of pathetic marketing. (Read : Cheapest car)
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:49   #30
BHPian

Oh Someone is buying Force One SUV and surprised to see that they sell more than much more competent Tata Aria, although both are different types of vehicles, but still!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed