Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

There's a very small percentage of market share advantage for Chevrolet over Volkswagen. 1.3% to be exact. Can this be attributed only to the excellent sales of the Tavera? Chevrolet has a negative growth for all its models except a little help from the Captiva and Cruze. Volkswagen too has its portfolio in negative.

Somehow, I have failed to see a lot of new Captiva's on the streets ! The Cruze has just been refreshed - hence the pickup in sales is somewhat evident. Is an "all-new" Captiva coming soon?

Maybe, Volkswagen should up their ante by bringing in a people-mover (Caddy, Touran or the Caravelle) and pit it against the Tavera.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:04   #32
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:17   #33
BHPian

For a diesel vehicles obsessed country, surprising to see I10 Grand Petrol Sales outshine its Diesel version. Probably the announcement of complete roll back of Diesel subsidy sooner than later playing its part.

With the prices of Diesel and Petrol getting closer to each other, Looks like the entry level Consumer Diesel Hatch segment (Beat Diesel, Ritz Diesel and to some extent I10 Grand) is no longer relevant.

Also given the old I10 will come only with a 1.1 IRDE Engine, should it be considered a part of B1 segment and not B2 Segment? Its got some pretty strong company in B2 with the likes of Swift, Polo etc.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:27   #34

Thanks for the much awaited thread of each month. I don't think there is any analysis of the statistics of auto sector which is more elaborated than this, Thanks once again.

Good to see i10 grand making it to number 5 position, it seems to be closing in on WagonR, may be next month it can grab that number 4 spot.

Regards, Atul
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:46   #35
BHPian

Again, thanks for the monthly figures. Its a lot of hard work on your part to provide this every month for our reading pleasure (and of course, our good-natured jabs!)

I feel that some of these companies may be pushing their sales numbers into Dec so that they can end the year well. Also, I am glad that the Ecosport is being given a good treatment by its unhappy lot. Screw them. When Duster and Terrano are just out there for a lakh or more, I'm sure a lot of these people are making a bee-line towards that showroom.

If I may ask, do we also get luxury car segment (Merc, BMW, Audi) numbers? Or do we omit them because they sell less than 500 units? It would be interesting to see how that fight is getting along considering the cut feature versions.

And yes, the City's impending arrival is going to blow the roof on that segment. I'm sure the others can only watch helplessly as all their new car / replacement plans are well into 2014 or 2015. Glad the Amaze is doing well even with the dip in sales. It's a splendid car and real VFM.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

What the hell Ford is doing here? For last 10 years they were crying and trying hard for the car which will sell in huge numbers in Indian market, Super duper hit. They got good success with Figo but not that they will be proud of. Now they have very successful product in Eco-Sport, but what they are doing?? They are just not producing it in huge numbers !!! Export market is priority here. In India they should at least supply more than 10 K per month IMO as demand is there. They should capture the huge success it got. If they don't deliver, i am afraid that people are going to turn to other cars. Once craze is over they are going to suffer for sure. People will buy other cars (Compact SUV) once they are available in the market. With so many launches happening next year in compact SUV, i am sure people will reject Ford Eco Sport going forward.

Not sure why Amaze is down from 9.5 k to 7.5 k. I was expecting it to doing more than 10-11 K this month as City production is being stopped. I guess demand is gone now. I am sure that i10 Grand has taken some of its share. Also Honda customers are waiting for new City & Jazz i guess.

Maruti is doing great job as usual. Kudos to them. With new launches next year, i am sure they will go pass 1 lac sales mark per month. They know the market well than anybody else. They make perfect products for Indian customers at right price and back them with best A.S.S. in the market. They surely deserve the loud applause
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:59   #37
BHPian

Good to see Fiat sustaining over 1,000 units per month. Not a significant number but given the speed with which exclusive showrooms and service centers are being set up, the numbers will improve eventually.

On the other hand, Ecosport seems to be slowing down from 6K a month to 4K a month. Wonder what is contributing to that. With the refreshed Endeavor around the corner, the SUV landscape should change significantly.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

We thought MSIL pulled/will pull the plug off 800/Estilo/A-Star but the numbers clearly state otherwise. They are still producing these cars and almost 3000 of these specimens are getting sold every month! That's the sort of number that Fiat/Skoda/HM aspires to achieve!

All 'flopped models' from Maruti put together sell more than the total sales of some of the manufacturers like Renault/Nissan who have successful models Duster. Quite ironic!

@parrys,
Now that Force Traveller numbers are included, why are we not including Tata Winger since they belong to the same segment? I'm sure its one their best sellers these days considering the road presence of Wingers and that might show Tata in a respectable light since the overall numbers would increase due to decent Winger sales.

Also, is there a chance we can ask Mahindra for the Reva numbers too? Just curious how many EVs are selling.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:31   #39
BHPian

Excellent and well timed report as usual, thanks so much.

It seems that the usual year-end slowdown has come forward by a month this year. There could be several reasons for this, some of which, IMO, are as follows

1. The overall slowdown - people seem to be putting off purchases for new launches/ new news. Ecosport, Amaze, Terrano, i-10 Grand are few examples of this. The biggest sufferers on this account are our desi giants Tata and Mahindra. With no new news for some time now, they have been hit badly on manufacturer year on year trends.

2. The Diwali impetus happened in October. Most purchases actually happened before Diwali. As a result, M-o-M trends are also down.

3. There are some other factors too. Elections in a few states, including India's largest car market Delhi, is one of them. There is a sense of uncertainty prevailing.

The Govt needs to step in and give some impetus to the market, now that fiscal pressures and overall macro economic indicators seem to be improving. Although, i do accept that I will be sounding optimistic if I say that something on this front will actually happen.

Some of you have pointed out that companies like Ford, Nissan, Renault are giving a lot of focus to the export markets. That is hardly surprising, given that Europe and America are finally showing signs of a revival and India remains a low cost manufacturing hub with quality not a concern with products manufactured in India any more.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:38   #40
BHPian

Surprised to see force one figures. I guess, these are shared for the first time.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Amaze dives 20% MOM?? Honda wake up!
You could attribute the dip to the fact that October was Diwali and there is a mad rush of people who want to buy cars during the festive season. IMO the spike in the sales of Amaze could be a result of that.
The monthly sales could stabilize at 7-8 k per month.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If I may ask, do we also get luxury car segment (Merc, BMW, Audi) numbers? Or do we omit them because they sell less than 500 units? It would be interesting to see how that fight is getting along considering the cut feature versions.
From what I read from earlier reports, BMW, Audi, Merc don't share their sales numbers due to 'policy reasons'.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:36   #43
BHPian

The market share of Volkswagon is 2.14% and that of Nissan's is 2.12%, which is pretty close. I was thinking VW should have a considerable lead over Nissan. I see so many polos and ventos on the road but I hardly get to see a micra or the terrano/evalia.
Attached Thumbnails
November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-149606.jpg  

veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
There's a very small percentage of market share advantage for Chevrolet over Volkswagen. 1.3% to be exact. Can this be attributed only to the excellent sales of the Tavera? Chevrolet has a negative growth for all its models except a little help from the Captiva and Cruze. Volkswagen too has its portfolio in negative.

This is true if you compare some other manufacturers too.

Honda has it's volumes only because of Amaze
Ford has it because of Ecosport.

Chevy and Volkswagen need this 1 super hit car which can do 7.5k+ per month on a consistent basis. Having said that, it's the laid back attitude of these companies which is why they are here. Maruti and Hyundai tailor make the car giving preference to the deal beakers for Indian customer.
Mr.Beat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Also, I am glad that the Ecosport is being given a good treatment by its unhappy lot. Screw them. When Duster and Terrano are just out there for a lakh or more, I'm sure a lot of these people are making a bee-line towards that showroom.
This has nothing to do with unhappy customers abandoning Ford. They still have a >30K backlog. Cancellations are too few to cause a dent to the Ecosport demand.

It is extremely difficult to guess why Ford is not ramping up production. I have a hunch that they are deliberately going slow on domestic sales and is waiting for another price hike. They sure looks like making more money per car from export sales than domestic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks