Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 19:35   #46
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Voted for the Honda Amaze. Honda's success in achieving class leading fuel efficiency combined with excellent torque and power for the diesel sedan is what clinched it for me.

Looks like the competition is solely between the Ecosport and the Amaze.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2013 at 15:48. Reason: Typo
Old 4th December 2013, 19:52   #47
Team-BHP Support

It’s pretty easy this year. The Ecosport indeed is the stand-out candidate from rest of the pack. More than the funky (probably a bit loud) styling, there are a couple of key factors which I considered with my vote:
  • Wide array of variants/engine options including the award-winning Ecoboost engine, and pretty loaded with useful technology.
  • Probably the safest car in its price segment – 6 airbags, ESP and traction control on the Titanium AT etc. Happy that Ford did not give inferior treatment to India on this aspect.
My second and third option are the new Octavia and the V40 Cross Country. I am impressed with the options Skoda have provided with the new Octavia, and its indeed a smart looking number.

I am expecting Amaze to garner some good number of votes as well. For me, more than the product it’s the combination of Honda + diesel which has worked in its favour.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:15   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

It has to be Ecosport. Leaving everything aside, I think this car simply stole the limelight for a long long time; even before the launch. Ford did just the right thing by launching it at a superb price too.

Though the imminent price hikes & feature deletions leave a very bitter taste, as a product this stands out and even blew the company's forecasting itself out of water. Hence my vote. But, would I buy one? - most probably NO ! Simply because I don't find it fitting my needs. If I need a SUV, I would rather look at XUV / Storme or even the Terrano; but definitely NOT Ecosport.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th December 2013 at 20:17.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 22:12   #49
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport without a second thought.
I know enough is been said by everyone on this vehicle but still I'd like to mention what made me to vote for EcoSport.
Continue to be a head-turner, perfect styling for a compact SUV, many first in class features, first Indian vehicle to have fully loaded international safety features within INR 10 lakh price band, typical European vehicle dynamics / handling, 1.0L EcoBoost engine which surprisingly delivers enough torque in low rpm.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 23:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Voted for EcoSport. A true game changer which is going to open the floodgates for compact SUVs. Wait till the others join the party. The B+ hatchbacks and compact sedans are going to find it extremely tough.

The following would have made the EcoSport the perfect launch.
  1. Steering feel like the new Fiesta sedan
  2. ABS/ EBD option for the lower variants
  3. Higher production volume. Ford got it absolutely wrong. The domestic market itself can consume 10K units per month with ease.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 23:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Chevrolet Enjoy. For me, the affordable price for a very practical car were the biggest positives and with safety equipment on offer confirmed my vote.
Reasonable comfort, reasonable ride and handling, good FE, supposedly low maintenance and lower cost of spares are all positives. Its not about sporty or acceleration, but for a car which can be daily driven to work and can serve as a spacious car when need be.

Were it not for the recall, my vote would go for Sail Sedan which would win my vote just because of it workmanlike nature and less cost cutting, better NVH than Honda/Toyota.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 23:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to vote for the EcoSport but then voted for the Grand i10 for some reason

Now I've changed my mind and want to change my vote to the Mercedes Benz A-Class since this was the first of the big three to introduce their premium hatch in our country and by the looks of it, it's doing well. Also I believe it ought to win merely on the might of Mercedes' new design
Old 4th December 2013, 23:23   #53
BHPian

Was a close one between Amaze and Ecosport. Two cars which have energized the respective companies. Winner : A combination of safety, affordability and style, hence voted for Ecosport.

However Ford can learn a thing or two from Honda on how to 'manage' a launch.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

My vote for the Honda Amaze. Its simple amazing - Honda diesel with best in class FE, slick interior packaging, looks besting the Dzire, reasonable boot size and Honda reliability.
Its a gamechanger, and Honda is almost surpassing Toyota now even when City was being replaced, and the Mobilio is to be launched.
Old 5th December 2013, 00:14   #55
BHPian

I voted for ecosport.
I have an ecoboost, I would like to add the following points
*super quite engine, not sure if you have cranked it or not
* the size of the car makes it easy to drive in the city
*good seating and driving position
*solid built quality( Sunday night, there was heavy rains here,and a heavy tree branch fell on the roof of the car), there was no dent at all . The doors are heavy too
*good ground clearance Kerala has good number of potholes, bumps and rains to cover them! this car rides over them all easily.
* there are many wild life and bird sanctuaries here. the power and GC helps us to drive through them easily
* excellent safety features
* so many extra features.
* have had a pleasant experience with the dealer. Had booked an AT. The SA called me one day and said that an ecoboost is available . Took this car without paying or buying anything extra, except the insurance.
Rameshdude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 00:33   #56
BHPian

I hate to, but still voted for the Ecosport, just that the fanfare around it, the launch, the design were all very new.
I hope, this brings in a new lease of petrol turbo vehicles in the coming years.

Why did I want to hate?
Ecosport mostly has the utility that an Indica Vista would have sufficed to most of the public. Just that the packaging was a little better, people went after this. (Yes, the engine, etc etc). The Polo has better engine options I believe, for a small car, slightly less practical than the ecosport.

The year, when the New Reva went with a whimper, big burly cars made the most, traffic snarls increased, pollution and the number of automobiles simply added to an already burgeoning problem, I felt, nothing good happened to the Indian automotive scene in a positive way.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 00:33   #57

Voted for Ecosport.

I guess the reasons are pretty much listed in the previous replies. Personally I found it fun to drive though interior space "could" have been a "little" bit more!
Old 5th December 2013, 00:43   #58
BHPian

Voted for Hyundai i10 Grande for the overall package and the vfm aspect , Amaze comes a very close second except for its sedate interiors , against popular sentiments I'm not a big fan of compact SUV as it just doesn't cut ice with me hence a no for ecosport !!
Old 5th December 2013, 02:41   #59
BHPian

I voted for a car which in no way is going to win this tittle- The BMW 1 series.
From the time it was launched outside India, this car really attracted me with its looks and "engine at front , drive at the rear " layout. I got a chance to drive one when I was abroad and the sensation that the car gave me was really special. Very much driver oriented in terms of its dynamics and may be that's what attracted me to it.

I liked Ecosport for its practicality, the growing compact SUV segment will be lead by this car for the years to come. Big boot, spacious interiors and a high ground clearance really appeal to a lot of potential car buyers. Personally I am not a big fan of this car mainly due to its looks. The front grill is too big for a car of this size, it suits a ford truck but not this one. Chrome is a bit too much and on your face. The rear door mounted spare wheel too feel a bit out of place. The quality of plastics inside dint inspire me either. Sometimes I really feel its taking a bit too far when people compare this with a Duster / Scorpio or even a Terrano.
Whatever said and done,its a fact that this car has managed to win the hearts of a lot of Indians and most likely is going to take the tittle.
Old 5th December 2013, 04:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Well its very clear which car is going to win the award this time around. But for me the car of the year has to be the Volvo V40 and man what a car it is. Excellent package at a decent price point that offers you the best of safety, interior features and exclusivity. Voted for the V40 cross country.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks