Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 20:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat India drives into Profits

Though it is clear that the profits are from its powerplant unit and not the car sales itself, all in all it adds up to the overall profitability of the enterprise and that is a positive thing.

What Fiat needs badly is more models for customers to choose from. Come to think of it only the Punto seems to be anywhere close to current while the Linea is now a past model for a lot of people. So they are running a single leg race to the finish!

Why not come back with a bang with a mini SUV, MUV and a compact sedan, all these are the super hot segments in our market.

Come one you have the superstar MJD to power them dont you!
Old 10th December 2013, 21:40   #17
BHPian

In India, i think Maruti buys the most number of MJDs from FIAT, more than FIAT, TATA and others combined.
What will happen when Suzuki comes up with their own small CRDI engine?
FIAT will depend on export only, i don't think tata buys that many engines from FIAT. also Chevrolet don't pay any royalty to FIAT
motionfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 22:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
In India, i think Maruti buys the most number of MJDs from FIAT, more than FIAT, TATA and others combined.
What will happen when Suzuki comes up with their own small CRDI engine?
FIAT will depend on export only, i don't think tata buys that many engines from FIAT. also Chevrolet don't pay any royalty to FIAT
Fiat will need to come up with a plan of ensuring they sell stable numbers per month by 2016-17. They should be able to stay afloat till then with MJD sales via Maruti cars.

In a way, Suzuki relying on Fiat engine is a win-win for both as long as the status quo remains the same.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 10:57   #19
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2013 at 15:28.
Car-riedAway is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th December 2013, 12:42   #20
BHPian

I would have been happy if the profits were derived out of car sales rather then engine sales. But I think they should take this sign as a caution since Suzuki will start hitting them hard once their engines are ready.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:25   #21
BHPian

Fiat should shut down its car sales business. Whatever they are making by selling the engines to GM/Maruti/Tata etc, are being bled away by losses from car sales. They have a bad image in India that is irreparable in the short term. Perhaps they can start anew with the Jeep/Chrysler models.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 11:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A good news for Fiat. I hope they get a bit more aggressive from here onwards. What I would expect them to do is

1. Bring brand new global models to India
2. Offer a 5 year warranty as standard till people have good faith in their products
3. Reduce their dependency on the engine sales.

I seriously hope they are not late to the party. With Suzuki testing their own diesel engines, Fiat has a serious issue at hand to deal with. If their (Suzuki's) engine prove it's worth, then it would take NO time for Fiat to wind down the business here. It's high time that they shift their focus to cars business and grab enough market in the next 2 years.

From some of the reports, the diesel demand also has gone down. If Suzuki sticks on to their engine, that will be a cool ~3L engine sales (assumed by taking 80% of the total Maruti sales on products with diesel option) business (yearly) busted for Fiat.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th December 2013 at 11:20.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

after reading news on Suzuki's diesel power plant, I am beginning to have doubts on Fiat's long term commitment to India if it's car business does not ride into profits.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:31   #24
BHPian

Re: Fiat India drives into Profits

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If Suzuki sticks on to their engine, that will be a cool ~3L engine sales (assumed by taking 80% of the total Maruti sales on products with diesel option) business (yearly) busted for Fiat.
Not sure if SUZUKI can bring it in with flying colors in the first iteration itself, the engine needs to establish itself to mass market daily urban usage, along with durability, performance aspects combined. The issues found during that phase will again be revised and only then it s a CLEAR winner.

SUZUKI will be careful while releasing their own diesel units and it will not be like once they introduced their own motors it s the end of their deal with FIAT, we still have one or two years for that to happen.

Most Viewed