Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 17:58   #586
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

I am confused with the VW guys and dealers. My car will complete 5th year in 2 days. All 5 years have been under warranty. first 2/3 was standard, then I took extended add on warranties. Now they are saying I have no way to extend warranty on my car. No add-on options available for existing customers. Spoke to different people and one answer was very satisfying - "Sir you have already taken one add on. We only give one add on, Not more than one. " When I took add-on, I was not given option to take for more than one year and now I don't have that option also. I am not at all comfortable owning a VW without warranty. Anyone I can get in touch with for better clarity?

Last edited by RaghuVis : 18th May 2020 at 18:00.
Old 18th May 2020, 18:05   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now they are saying I have no way to extend warranty on my car. No add-on options available for existing customers. Spoke to different people and one answer was very satisfying - "Sir you have already taken one add on. We only give one add on, Not more than one. "
Is this dealer warranty they are offering or from VW? If VW, just write to them. They are pretty decent on email response times. If dealer, they would try to bend you over anyway. I'd stay away from that.
Old 8th August 2020, 18:50   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to exit diesel space in India.

​​The no-diesel strategy has been taken at a group level.

Quote:
already cut back and right now we have no diesel options in our existing models Polo and Vento and the newly launched T-Roc and Tiguan Allspace SUVs
Quote:
India 2.0 strategy which will roll out in 2021 — the Taigun SUV and a Vento replacement. Both these products will be gasoline only kitted with a TSI petrol engine
Quote:
It is a VW group strategy to focus on gasoline and that includes all the brands — Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Skoda. For bigger cars we are watching the market but for now the focus is on petrol
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th August 2020 at 18:53.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:19   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen to exit diesel space in India.

​​The no-diesel strategy has been taken at a group level.
This is really a bad news. For mile munchers, diesel is the best choice in the current market. The TDI is one of the best diesel engines globally.

I think it may be due to expensive & complicated SCR twin dosing technology introduced by VW to meet RDE norms, VW has decided not to offer this engine in India. But for bigger SUVs from VW, Audi & Porsche still it makes sense to offer diesel engines until they develop a proper hybrid powertrain.
gopi_rm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:58   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
This is really a bad news. For mile munchers, diesel is the best choice in the current market. The TDI is one of the best diesel engines globally
Not really bad news anymore. With the COVID situation the number of milemunchers have reduced by a huge margin.

Secondly the price of diesel fuel is now same so thats another reason for diesel out the window. The 2 advantages of diesel were lower fuel cost and higher efficiency for those logging in lots of kms. Both have been negated by a huge extent.

Secondly with BS6 the price difference between petrol and diesel engines is wider.

On top of it BS6 with DPF+SCR which VW uses needs DEF/Adblue top up which is also additional maintenance.

I would think the only impact to VW/Skoda/Audi is to the SUV's such as Kodiaq, Tiguan, Q5 and Q7 which are gas guzzlers and the diesel helped keep the cost in check since those would never give double digit efficiency figures.

But incase of the 1.0L TSI and 1.5L TSI they are pretty efficient engines and constitute the mass of the volumes that VW will be targeting with SUV, hatches, sedans all getting these 2 motors.
Vid6639 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:56   #591
BHPian

Another cost saving once you decide it's going to be a petrol only model is that it lets you free up some space in the engine bay, reduce the size of the vehicle without any compromise to usable space - think Triber. India specific models clearly stand to benefit from such a decision. Imagine the cost of a City or a Rapid/Vento if it were under 4m!
Old 10th August 2020, 09:53   #592
BHPian

RIP Big SAVWPL s. Kodiaqs, Superbs, Jettas may die. Hoping they cover it up in the A/B/C segments offering stonker gasoline engines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Another cost saving once you decide it's going to be a petrol only model is that it lets you free up some space in the engine bay, reduce the size of the vehicle without any compromise to usable space - think Triber. India specific models clearly stand to benefit from such a decision. Imagine the cost of a City or a Rapid/Vento if it were under 4m!
I really hope they don't go on doing what Mahindra did to xylo... cutting disproportionately and destroying proportions.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 10th August 2020 at 09:55.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:12   #593
BHPian

I wonder why VW and Skoda could not tie up with TATA for engines. It's a decent engine and could have been used in Rapid, Vento etc. Fiat made good money. Wonder why TATA does not explore this.
They could have supplied engines to Maruti as well.

Mod note: There are several spelling errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th August 2020 at 09:39.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th August 2020, 10:19   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not really bad news anymore. With the COVID situation the number of milemunchers have reduced by a huge margin.
Yes, with the current trend the days of smaller diesel engines are more or less over for most manufacturers. This is the global trend and would not be any different in India.

Unlike about 4-5 years back, diesel is no longer the fuel of choice and the newer breed of turbo petrols are adequately powerful and torquey to power the compact and mid sized SUVs. The only area where diesels might still remain very relevant are the larger engines powering full size and heavy SUVs.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 10:36   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 2 advantages of diesel were lower fuel cost and higher efficiency for those logging in lots of kms. Both have been negated by a huge extent.
Are you referring to diesels altogether? I highly doubt the latter. I can give you my word nobody is going to take a gas guzzling kodiaq petrol ( or any other big Suv like fortuner petrol ) over a much more fuel efficient and torquey diesel option.

Personally there is no chance I'll buy a big petrol suv, only viable transition if I was an suv owner, would be straight to electric.
SaiSW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:01   #596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Are you referring to diesels altogether? I highly doubt the latter. I can give you my word nobody is going to take a gas guzzling kodiaq petrol ( or any other big Suv like fortuner petrol ) over a much more fuel efficient and torquey diesel option.

Personally there is no chance I'll buy a big petrol suv, only viable transition if I was an suv owner, would be straight to electric.
Perhaps you didn't read my entire post where in I have mentioned that the impact will be to the big SUV's however the volume these SUV's sell in like the Tiguan and Kodiaq makes it an investment that is not worth the returns in case of Skoda/VW:

Quote:
I would think the only impact to VW/Skoda/Audi is to the SUV's such as Kodiaq, Tiguan, Q5 and Q7 which are gas guzzlers and the diesel helped keep the cost in check since those would never give double digit efficiency figures.
Both the Tiguan and Kodiaq barely managed triple digit numbers when they were sold in diesel and BS4. With BS6 prices even higher for a new car due to DPS+SCR + higher fuel cost would have meant even lesser sales number.

For such low sales, it probably was a case of diminishing returns hence the plan to drop diesel even for these 2. If they were selling 100 odd BS4 diesel Kodiaq's every month and with BS6 diesel this would have dropped to 70-80 per month, then dropping diesel and getting petrol will be 40-60 per month.

For those 30-40 cars additional every month it probably made no sense to go through the process of homologation for Diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:08   #597
Team-BHP Support

Cars are not bought with such short term scenario as the COVID situation in mind. For example - my traditional usage had been more than 25k - 30k kms per year and I guess that qualifies as a diesel milemuncher. I have done less than 5k kms in the past year thanks to this situation - but doesn't mean my preference is diesel now. 2020 will be wasted for sure, but that's still a neglible factor, considering a 10 year ownership cycle (Which a majority of BHPians follow).

At max - the rising fuel prices have made me consider brilliant petrol motors for each segments, which were totally ignored earlier. If the petrol option is way better than the diesels of the segment - I'll surely take a look, but a good diesel motor may still help make that purchase decision.

Volkswagen should look at their direct competition. Kia had announced that 50% of their bookings for the Seltos came from the diesel option, and very recently - Hyundai announced 60% of their customers favoured diesel for the new Creta - almost 30k bookings for the diesel option even in this lockdown scenario.

1.0 TSi is indeed a good move for the hatchback/sedan market, but hoping the 1.5 TSi will be enough for the midsize/crossover market where their big bet, the Taigun will position itself - will be a big blunder from SUVW.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th August 2020 at 11:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:55   #598
BHPian

Driving a 1.6 Tdi for a few years and having driven multiple configurations of the TDi from the 2.0 on the Touran(through Austria / northern Italy), lugging a full boot and 5 people) / Ateca (in Canary islands, climbing the El Teide!), to even the 3.0 on the Passat, I've been in love with the VW TDis. Irrespective of how good the VW TSis are (and there are quite a few wrinkles on those), I'll miss the workhorse. I picked the TDi in spite of not needing the miles. It just felt different!
Annibaddh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:02   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm starting to wonder if this VW India 2.0 strategy is to "turn around" the fortunes or to "Keep turning". Not having a diesel while also saying we'll be focusing on SUVs in India now on, is an odd combination.

I can totally understand that many people are now going the petrol way. But not even bothering to launch competitive diesel engines in SUV segments while cheap segment car makers like Tata, Hyundai, Mahindra easily make & sell diesel engines is a bit odd. It just shows the company has no confidence in itself to be able to make sales in India enough to justify the investment in bringing the new diesel engines here. Perhaps this is a stop gap statement like MSIL. Once they steady the ship, perhaps a couple of years later we'll see diesels again. They have to bring them if they want the Kodiaqs and Tiguans to move from the showrooms. Even the Superbs for that matter. No matter how close the prices of diesel & petrol are, the mileage & power/torque of a diesel are still the 1st choice for most. And then - the price difference in a diesel & a petrol car is starting to become marginal with the advent of TGDI type petrol engines that are equally costly to make as diesel engines.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:34   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

There are always those, like me, who do a small mileage, but, despite economics, prefer the diesel drive. I like low-revs torque better than high-revs thrills. Although... I guess the GT TDI gives both

Anyway, I guess we are a small minority.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks