Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:26   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
... it will be tata VW ?
That would be my worry. I'd be very concerned about customer service in the future.

(I suppose that depends where a VW customer lives and what their limited number of local dealers is like. Mine is OK: others may say that it couldn't get worse )
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:57   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So after Tata (bye bye) Fiat, it will be tata VW ?
Looks like it! But I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That would be my worry. I'd be very concerned about customer service in the future.

(I suppose that depends where a VW customer lives and what their limited number of local dealers is like. Mine is OK: others may say that it couldn't get worse )
I am sure VW will attempt to leverage the Tata service network to extend their reach further into Tier II/III cities and possibly even semi rural parts of the country. Critical when you sell B and C category cars.

Can you imagine taking your Passat, Jetta, Vento or Polo to a Tata dealer? UGH!! Gives me the jitters.

I had experience with a Tata dealer right here in Pune about 7-8 years ago. The Palio 1.6 was serviced by the Tata dealer (it was a trial) and boy oh boy did he rip us off or what! And the work done left much to be desired. After that we stayed far away and opted for independent service stations. Not the best option but we had no choice. Even today I wind up giving the Palio to a person I know for its annual service.

This is the service side of things. What about the Sales? Those Tata dealers treated Fiat models like step children and attempted to sell them with the same enthusiasm as a Bajaj dealer would sell an autorickshaw. They would almost always push customers to Tata vehicles. Hope this doesn't happen to VW.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd February 2017 at 17:59.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 14:07   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

After a decade of operations in India - VW decides to establish itself as the most preferred 'affordable premium brand' in India. Goes after localization to contain costs.

Quote:
You have to drive localisation in order to be able to compete in the aggressive commercial climate in India. We are doing a lot behind the scenes with our factory and our local engineering. So, that will drive a lot of our future products decisions. We have to be very much Indianised in order to be competitive
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 18:34   #379
Senior - BHPian

Why would Tata and VW head in this direction? I see no gain for VW apart from the really bad baggage that TATA carries in terms of brand imagery, average Servicing quality and probably a wide dealer network that TATA themselves have not been able to take advantage of. For sure it's not about production capacities etc since VW has sufficient capacity in India.

And TATA is trying do something different by getting performance niche cars under TAMO, while also establishing new cars such as the Tigor and the Nexon etc.

I just hope the arrangement doesn't take VW out of the market like Fiat got taken out.
Old 27th February 2017, 01:16   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

VW is quite stingy I see, the most cash-rich company and they count pennies trying to get into JV's and "consult" other brands on going the economy route. This is why I simply hate the company, they can move if and when necessary but they simply are taking way too long and thinking hard on creating and defining an image for themselves (is it entry-premium/affordable-premium/niche), one simply cannot understand their direction. Bring Seat to India already, hollow out the features, price it aggressively and get over with it already.

TATA is not going to be benefited by this move, as far as sales go, anyway. If they can leverage manufacturing during down-time and utilize it in a lean-manufacturing sense then, perhaps.

As for JV's/understandings/partnerships so far:
1) Fiat-Maruti - Diesel engines
2) Fiat-GM - Diesel engines
3) Fiat-Tata - Production+JV (formerly)+Sales (formerly)
4) Tata-VW - Confirmed but yet to be seen.
5) Renault-Mahindra - Platform sharing+ manufacturing (super flop)
6) Ford-Mahindra - Epic flop (ages ago, was Ford's first India setup)

Not many good things have come out of JV's, for bikes the best example is Hero and Honda. VW is having myopic focus here. Full respect to solo-manufacturing+development focussed companies.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:03   #381
BHPian

VW is in the final testing process of Tiguan and Passat - will be launching both by end of this year. Tiguan will come with smaller wheelbase.

Moreover, they are also testing Golf (will be priced around ~20L), likely to launch next year.

Source: A VW representative who frequents Pune Chakan Plant.
Old 28th February 2017, 19:44   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishskapoor View Post
VW is in the final testing process of Tiguan and Passat - will be launching both by end of this year. Tiguan will come with smaller wheelbase.

Moreover, they are also testing Golf (will be priced around ~20L), likely to launch next year.

I can agree about the Tiguan & Passat but launching the Golf in India , this seems a long shot . I don't think the Indian consumer is ready for a 20 lakh plus hatchback . On a side note after reading about the experiences everyone has had with Volkswagen Sales & service I might not go for the Tiguan after all . For an SUV which would end up costing 30 lakhs onroad with so many issues would be a nightmare despite my liking for the Tiguan after seeing it at the Auto Expo 2016 . Volkswagen East Delhi or Africa Automobiles had arranged a special session for us at the Volkswagen booth just to see the Tiguan & I was really impressed . Now i have to look for something else , probably the Tucson AWD .

Last edited by drift2race : 28th February 2017 at 19:51. Reason: Reading about the Volkswagen After Sales Experience
Old 1st March 2017, 07:31   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
I can agree about the Tiguan & Passat but launching the Golf in India , this seems a long shot . I don't think the Indian consumer is ready for a 20 lakh plus hatchback .
Actually its quite a good time to get the Golf in India. When a similar sized A-Class cost 30+ lakhs or a ‘now premium’ Honda City costs 15+ lakhs, a Golf at price range of 20 lakhs sounds to be good value.
Old 1st March 2017, 07:48   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Actually its quite a good time to get the Golf in India. When a similar sized A-Class cost 30+ lakhs or a ‘now premium’ Honda City costs 15+ lakhs, a Golf at price range of 20 lakhs sounds to be good value.
But what about the really bad After Sales & Service , Mercedes doesn't have any such issues as Volkswagen does . I had heard about such niggles as faint cries but reading your first hand experiences have really changed my mind about buying a Volkswagen . Servicing my all Maruti Fleet throughout the years hasn't been niggle free but Volkswagen seems to be a Nightmarish experience.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:09   #385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
Mercedes doesn't have any such issues as Volkswagen does.
Sorry to spoil the party, Really?
My cousin owns a c class 2014 model , when we were on an express way at 130+ kmph speed brake failure happened. We were very fortunate all our family is alive today. To be frank the lights don't have a good throw and there always errors from tps etc popping up all the time
Old 1st March 2017, 13:33   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A Class sells because of the three pointed star on the hood. VW doesnt have the brand value to sell a 20L hatch - especially when it has nothing going for it compared to 20L sedans in particular.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:43   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
A Class sells because of the three pointed star on the hood. VW doesnt have the brand value to sell a 20L hatch - especially when it has nothing going for it compared to 20L sedans in particular.
You never know. VW still enjoys a better brand perception than the Asians. It is somewhere in the middle of the Asians and premium European brands. The Octavia/Jetta/Superb have found decent takers even after all the negative brand publicity. I see no reason why a 20L Rs. Golf would not find any. And as pointed out above, in an era where a Honda city costs 16L, how tough is it to buy a 20L Rs hatchback. The real question is, the 20L price point was a matter of history. With the recent trend of increasing the prices of C segment cars towards 15L mark, would VW really price the Golf at 20L? I doubt.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:46   #388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
What I mean is there is no model in the luxury space which retails below 30 lakhs; considering that, a 20 lakhs hatchback won’t be a misfit really. Someone has to open up this segment and with the way current prices are going; I think there is a market for midsize hatchbacks.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:58   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You never know. VW still enjoys a better brand perception than the Asians. It is somewhere in the middle of the Asians and premium European brands. The Octavia/Jetta/Superb have found decent takers even after all the negative brand publicity. I see no reason why a 20L Rs. Golf would not find any. And as pointed out above, in an era where a Honda city costs 16L, how tough is it to buy a 20L Rs hatchback. The real question is, the 20L price point was a matter of history. With the recent trend of increasing the prices of C segment cars towards 15L mark, would VW really price the Golf at 20L? I doubt.
Even if i believe that a person paying 20L will buy a hatch instead of a sedan with similiar features - look at the overall volumes in this class ! The likes of XUV & Creta have been eating their lunch & dinner - i doubt a hatch is going to make a lot of difference.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:59   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishskapoor View Post

Can you please check with your representative if there is any info on T-Cross launch dates . I think golf around 20 lacs on road would not be a bad idea . I would not mind a premium hatchback around 20 lacs if it could provide all the bells and whistle .With these cramped roads I don't think I would find any pleasure in driving these sedans any more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks