Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2018, 18:46   #436
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Volkswagen, a company with huge potentials, its really sad to see the current state of them in India. It was really a relief when VW released the Polo and Vento. Affordable high quality German cars. But almost a decade away they keep on selling the same cars with mild facelift where other manufacturers offerings facelifts every 2-3 years. And finally now they have started planning what to do next! How are the going to sustain in the market for another 2-3 years with the same cars? I think by 2020-21 they will have to relaunch the brand itself to sell their new cars. They should concentrate on launching the new Polo and Virtus asap. And concentrate more on C and D segment sedans and SUV. They should also do something to remove the bad reputation over reliability issues like offering better warranty packs.
Old 21st January 2018, 12:48   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Post 2020 VAG group plans 6 products for India.

Quote:
The proposed six new models, three each under Skoda and Volkswagen brands, would cater mainly to the domestic market.
Good News : The new products would be developed on Volkswagen's MQB-A0 platform. ( thus we would get the Polo, Virtus and T Cross from VW)

Not so good: Expect new product launch in 2021 and beyond.

VW group has lined up 1 billion euros investment in India for various activities, including plans to set up an engineering and development centre, expand production facility at Chakan and to develop new models

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st January 2018 at 12:50.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 13:12   #438
BHPian

I hope VW makes sure they can launch the updated Virtus & Polo in 2021 and not the current one.The current models might be getting its first facelift by then in global markets. Skoda take the effort to give us the latest products mostly. Also Virtus (and Skoda's equvalent) should get a new DSG (not DQ200)?
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:42   #439

VAG to bring MQB-A0 & newer models to India ☺️
https://www.cartoq.com/volkswagen-to...-roc-in-india/...
Old 26th January 2018, 22:15   #440
BHPian

There is a show on netflix called 'Dirty Money'. The first episode of the season called 'Hard NOx' is about vw's emission scandal. Interested folks should watch it. Might influence your decision on buying German cars.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:35   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
There is a show on netflix called 'Dirty Money'. The first episode of the season called 'Hard NOx' is about vw's emission scandal. Interested folks should watch it. Might influence your decision on buying German cars.
Japanese or American cars are no better either. Mitsubushi and Mazda have faced similar accusations recently.

Honda's Takata scandal has also resulted in some unfortunate deaths, atleast the emissions scandal haven't killed the drivers of their cars

German cars are better designed than their Asian and American counterparts and in many cases are better to drive as well. I do not think a show on Netflix will change that fact.

Last edited by Thebat : 26th February 2018 at 21:38.
Thebat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 09:53   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

The first 2 Next GEN. products from the VAG Group will be the CUV's in late 2020/21.

1. T CROSS ( rendered)

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-volkswagen_tcross__front_watermarked.jpg

2. Skoda CUV( based on Vision X)

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-_mg_4657.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 14:05   #443
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo Gets Smaller, More Fuel Efficient 1-litre Engine

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswage...engine-1821699
Old 17th March 2018, 13:03   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's an experience of mine which illustrates one of many reasons why VW is finding it difficult to win customer's confidence.

My Polo GT TSI is now doing duty in the town of Belgaum, which luckily has a VW service centre. It was time for the annual service. I fixed up the appointment and everything went as usual. I was experiencing a bit of increased body roll and also reduced bump absorption from the suspension and had asked the service advisor to look into it. I know VW's OE struts are crap and I was suspecting they might have packed up. I was willing to get them replaced if necessary and informed the same to the SA.

By evening, the service was completed and the car was washed spic and span and the service advisor started explaining the bill break up. He tells me one of the struts was leaking oil and that it was on its last days, but we can change it during next service (one full year away) as it will not cause any problems in normal running of the car. I was a bit surprised as to why a service centre wants to forego a part sale when the customer is willing to spend and when the change is actually necessary. Then it struck me that the part might not be in stock and that's the reason why he is giving me the 'chalta hai'. And yes that's exactly what it was! Apparently it had been on order for some time and was 'expected soon'

I would not like to drive my car with a faulty suspension just because the service centre does not have it in stock! As a company your only cars on sale are of the age old Polo and Vento platform and yet you are unable to support your dealer with proper supplies of regular, prone to failure, spares which you decided to cheap out in the first place.

What's worse is that it has been 3 weeks since the service has been completed. I have asked them to inform me as soon as the part comes in so that I can waste another half day of my precious time to bring the car in and get it fitted. The part is yet to arrive.

If this is the case with the normal Polo, wonder what fate awaits my GTI.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 15:21   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
... ... ... If this is the case with the normal Polo, wonder what fate awaits my GTI.
I don't know how practical it would be, but would place a small bet on you being able to source the part from overseas quicker than the VW-approved service centre can!

It would be an interesting race.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 08:25   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen in India - Past and what lies in future?

- In 2010 VW had ambitious plan to have 20% market share by 2018
- In 2014 it was revised to 8%
- 10 years has elapsed and Market Share achieved is 1.5%
- Now revised, VW has an ambition of reaching a modest 3% market share by the next 5 years.
- For that, assuming overall industry grows at healthy annual rate of 10% from here on-wards, VW need to revive the existing products
quickly to reach 13k monthly mark.
- Going Premium and with the future line up of Creta Rival ( T cross), New Polo, Vento replacement (Virtus) and Ameo as the mass market
models - can VW achieve its set target?

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw1.jpg

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw2.jpg

VW could have ever achieved were in 2011 and 2012 when all the products were in glory days.

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw3.jpg

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw4.jpg

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw5.jpg

Volkswagen India: The Way Forward-vw6.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th April 2018 at 08:46.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 12:54   #447
Team-BHP Support

I don't know about long term, but VW can give sales a good immediate bump simply by offering a manual box with the 1.2 TSi. Though the DQ200 DSG variant sells reasonably well, it is a deal-breaker for a good chunk of potential customers. I'm one myself, and know a fair few.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 13:40   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I don't know about long term, but VW can give sales a good immediate bump simply by offering a manual box with the 1.2 TSi. Though the DQ200 DSG variant sells reasonably well, it is a deal-breaker for a good chunk of potential customers. I'm one myself, and know a fair few.

I do not think it will help in any case. The GT TSi Polo and Vento sell primarily because they are Automatics ! If you add a manual box variant you might just get a very handful of enthusiasts and that is about it. Whereas the auto appeals to a wider audience and if they cannot get decent numbers out of these then nothing can. Plus, VW has had multiple engine, Gear box combinations and all for what? Less than 2k units a month! So no point in adding variants when the overall baseline is so low.

What VW needs is 2 new cars in the sub 15 lakh bracket. They need one SUV which can either take on the Ecosport or the Creta. And they need a new longer hatch which can fight the i20 and Baleno. These are not price sensitive segments and VW can get products in these segments easily. Until they introduce such relevant products they will continue to deliver under 2k cars every month and nothing more.
motorworks is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 15:08   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
....The GT TSi Polo and Vento sell primarily because they are Automatics ! If you add a manual box variant you might just get a very handful of enthusiasts and that is about it. Whereas the auto appeals to a wider audience and if they cannot get decent numbers out of these then nothing can. Plus, VW has had multiple engine, Gear box combinations and all for what? Less than 2k units a month! So no point in adding variants when the overall baseline is so low.....
The low overall volume is actually why it makes sense, in a twisted kind of way.

While you're right the autobox is a huge USP, the petrol motor is well-liked on its own. A handful more cars won't matter to someone who sells tens of thousands of cars a month, but VW would sure love if they shifted an additional 10-20% volume without spending much, if anything, on offering a manual box.

It would be great even if they just provided a reliable wet clutch DSG instead (I would buy one), but that I agree would be expecting too much
Old 13th April 2018, 15:19   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen group undergoes major leadership and restructuring changes.

Changes will likely trickle into India operations- Volkswagen will be a more 'PREMIUM' brand, hence the move to make Skoda lead the India product development and execution plans, as a volume segment player!

1. Hr. Herbert Diess replace Matthias Muller as the Chairman of the Board.

2. The company and its brands – VW, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Audi, Bentley and Porsche – split into three pillars: Volume, Premium and Super Premium.

3. SEAT, Skoda and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) will sit in the Volume segment

4. VW and Audi become the Premium brands.

5. Porsche will lead the Super Premium category, which also includes Lamborghini, Bugatti and Bentley.

Quote:
Bundling the brands together is a move aimed at speeding up decision-making processes within the company.
Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th April 2018 at 15:25.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks