Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 15:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP: Indica Vista D90 discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

That's 10 options for Polo and 8 options for Vento. If I were to buy a Polo and if I am not a TBHP member, I would not know in hell, what is the deal with so many options.
I don't think there is any confusion with a Polo and its variants.

Polo 1.2 petrol. AT & MT. Highline & Trendline etc are variants which everyone inquires. Its the same as Zdi/Zxi variants of Swift/Dzire etc.

Similarly, in diesel there are two variants. 1.2 diesel with a 3 cylinder mill & a 1.6 with a 4 cylinder engine.

I believe 1.6 petrol is discontinued.

Maybe a bit of being a BHPian has taken over, but I honestly don't think there is a confusion.

The Safari/Storme have very clear variants. LX, EX, VX & an option of choosing 4X4.
Old 4th January 2014, 17:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I don't think there is any confusion with a Polo.
Good for you Sheel. But its not about you and me obviously. And I did not mention Polo 1.6 petrol. Read carefully please.

Both of us will not get confused at any showroom. What GTO mentioned was about common man being confused terribly at Tata showrooms and I M O, equally with Polo.

Cheers!
Old 4th January 2014, 19:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think anyone's going to miss the Vista D90. Seriously, who buys a high powered Indica?
Don't know @ others, but I am surely going to miss the Vista D90. The VX trim of the D90 is sheer VFM. My BIL purchased this variant last Oct & he had to shelve just 6.54 lacs (on road, outside LBT limits). The icing on the cake for this deal was, he got 3 years insurance free & 2 years AMC worth 6K absolutely free. For the next 2 years he has to pay only for the diesel, the maintenance & insurance costs will be taken care by the company.

The VX variant has almost all the features (baring airbags) that you would find in the top end variants of premium hatches. It has ABS, bluetooth, USB, Aux in, front & rear fog lamps, rear defogger, twin barrel headlamps, tilt steering, height adjustable driver seat, lumbar support, remote key, speed sensing central locking etc. I could go on with the list, but let me stop here.

My maternal uncle bought a Swift VDi the same time. He had to shelve 7.25 lakhs for a car which is underpowered compared to the D90, is claustrophobic in the rear, does not have the most important active safety feature, the ABS brakes & what not.

In my opinion, till date, this was the best product from Tata stable. People who went for it are going to be proud owners for a long time to come & enjoy the exclusivity.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 19:20   #19
BHPian

One reason for discontinuation of D90 might be introduction of sub 4 meter sedan by TATA in near future, VGT may not be offered in hatchback format even in speculated “Falcon” or whatever TATA will call their new product line based on similar platform, considering price overlap.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Good for you Sheel. But its not about you and me obviously. And I did not mention Polo 1.6 petrol. Read carefully please.

Both of us will not get confused at any showroom. What GTO mentioned was about common man being confused terribly at Tata showrooms and I M O, equally with Polo.

Cheers!
You, me or anyone would confuse at a VW showroom because of engine options. Trim wise, its on par with MUL cars, something not there with HMIL or others, especially, not with the Indica and its iterations.

And I never said, you mentioned Polo 1.6 P, I simply mentioned that it has been discontinued. There was no need to comment upon reading carefully or not.

And once, someone understands what engine option one wants in a VW or any other car (save for Indica/Vista) its very easy to pick a trim level.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Don't know @ others, but I am surely going to miss the Vista D90. The VX trim of the D90 is sheer VFM. My BIL purchased this variant last Oct & he had to shelve just 6.54 lacs (on road, outside LBT limits). The icing on the cake for this deal was, he got 3 years insurance free & 2 years AMC worth 6K absolutely free. For the next 2 years he has to pay only for the diesel, the maintenance & insurance costs will be taken care by the company...
That's definitely a deal there!

Quote:
...My maternal uncle bought a Swift VDi the same time. He had to shelve 7.25 lakhs for a car which is underpowered compared to the D90, is claustrophobic in the rear, does not have the most important active safety feature, the ABS brakes & what not..
The actual difference is for the guy behind the wheel. The kind of driving pleasure derived out of a Swift will remain unmatched by the Vista. All those price differences and feature list will go out of the window on the very first curve the Swift guy sweep thru. Somehow, I also feel that the image that a Swift raises is more of a young & dynamic guy while Vista can at best be of a "neutral" taste - I could be wrong though.

But I'll still stand by you on the VFM quotient - that's way too terrific to be ignored by a "common" family man.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th January 2014 at 12:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My maternal uncle bought a Swift VDi the same time. He had to shelve 7.25 lakhs for a car which is underpowered compared to the D90, is claustrophobic in the rear, does not have the most important active safety feature, the ABS brakes & what not.
Keeping the the long list of features and the space aside, the Swift is more fun to drive and faster than the Vista D90. Check their acceleration timings and top speeds quoted by various websites.

VFM factor has been with almost all Tata's like the Manza, but, somehow that isn't translating into numbers that they expect.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The actual difference is for the guy behind the wheel. The kind of driving pleasure derived out of a Swift will remain unmatched by the Vista. All those price differences and feature list will go out of the window on the very first curve the Swift guy sweep thru. .
I have owned a swift untill 2011 and after that bought a Manza and till now done 35K kms in it.
Have driven a friend's Vista D 90 as well. As far as taking the curves goes , i personally didnt feel Swift to be that much superior in handling part. Infact if i compare DZIRE to a MANZA, i would say am more confident on a curve in the Manza.
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

The actual difference is for the guy behind the wheel. The kind of driving pleasure derived out of a Swift will remain unmatched by the Vista. All those price differences and feature list will go out of the window on the very first curve the Swift guy sweep thru. Somehow, I also feel that the image that a Swift raises is more of a young & dynamic guy while Vista can at best be of a "neutral" taste - I could be wrong though.

But I'll still stand by you on the VFM quotient - that's way too terrific to be ignored by a "common" family man.
You are spot on swiftnfurious. My BIL was hell bent on getting the Swift, same thoughts driving pleasure, taking a sweeping curve, young & dynamic image of Swift. Even I agreed with him. But then better sense prevailed. I asked him if he was going to drive all alone in the car & he said that 99% of the time it would be with his extended family, meaning his aging parents, spouse & 2 kids. On this very answer the thought of getting the Swift went straightaway out of the window of his mind. He was brought back to his senses & he agreed that he was "common" family man for whom the Vista D90 was the best alternative (period)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Keeping the the long list of features and the space aside, the Swift is more fun to drive and faster than the Vista D90. Check their acceleration timings and top speeds quoted by various websites.
I am not denying that but the comfort of 6 people was priceless when compared to the fun to drive factor, acceleration timings, top speed & what not.

Quote:
VFM factor has been with almost all Tata's like the Manza, but, somehow that isn't translating into numbers that they expect.
True, today's young & dynamic crowd (as mentioned by swiftnfurious above), who have the real purchasing power, care a hoot for VFM or spacious interiors. All they want is fun to drive factor, adrenaline rush & which car other than the Swift can provide that? Hence the Vista's & the Manza's of his world don't see the numbers coming in that easily.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I asked him if he was going to drive all alone in the car & he said that 99% of the time it would be with his extended family, meaning his aging parents, spouse & 2 kids. On this very answer the thought of getting the Swift went straightaway out of the window of his mind. He was brought back to his senses & he agreed that he was "common" family man for whom the Vista D90 was the best alternative (period)...
There could NOT be a better choice for him. On the other hand, my Swift sees more people on a max 10-20%. I was wondering how could TATA extract that kind of a space in a sub 4m car when others usually can't even match 30% of those in the rear. This is one car that blew me away with it's space in the rear.

Quote:
...True, today's young & dynamic crowd (as mentioned by swiftnfurious above), who have the real purchasing power, care a hoot for VFM or spacious interiors. All they want is fun to drive factor, adrenaline rush & which car other than the Swift can provide that? Hence the Vista's & the Manza's of his world don't see the numbers coming in that easily.
Those set also need the "status" along with the package. A lot of them would NOT mind having a Skoda or VW even if the stories are worse, but would NOT touch a TATA at any cost. I would NOT blame them either, coz TATA went a bit too much and focused on the taxi market with the design, quality and badge.

I hope Mr. Slym will turn around this company so that they become no. 2 in some time with more aspirational products. A much better looking and FTD D90 (no Vista badge please) would make a lot of sense with it's other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I have owned a swift untill 2011 and after that bought a Manza and till now done 35K kms in it.
Have driven a friend's Vista D 90 as well. As far as taking the curves goes , i personally didnt feel Swift to be that much superior in handling part...
No offence, but then you probably have NOT exploited the car's handling prowess to a great extent. Our driving style matters more than the inherent abilities of the vehicles. All these vehicles will behave naturally till their tolerance levels; the actual difference will start getting visible when you cross it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th January 2014 at 15:39.
Old 6th January 2014, 19:20   #26
BHPian

Apart from cartoq there is no other news about this. Tata's site continues to list it and it is infact it is the flash banner on the site
Old 10th January 2014, 19:24   #27
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Another new variant of Indica Vista to be launched! As rightly pointed out by GTO in another thread, Tata should rename itself to 'Variant Motors'.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-369267.aspx

Quote:
Tata Motors is working on a new variant of the Vista hatchback that will be called the Tata Vista Tech. The Vista Tech is essentially the Tata Vista D90 (production of which has recently stopped) but with a 74bhp FGT (fixed-geometry turbo) diesel engine, instead of the D90’s 89bhp VGT (variable-geometry turbo) motor.

The Tata Vista Tech will retain the Vista D90’s interiors (which, like the Manza, slot the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel) and will be equipped similarly too. This means the Vista Tech will get a touchscreen audio system with voice-guided navigation, Bluetooth connectivity and an input for all popular media sources (USB, aux-in, SD card and DVD). There’s climate control too, but rear parking sensors have been left off the list.

Last edited by PPS : 10th January 2014 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks