Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 19:56   #76
BHPian

Would have been far better to modernize the Accent viva body shell , bring it under 4 m, and plonk the 1.4 crdi in it
Old 24th January 2014, 20:03   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai's Grand i10 Sedan caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
Found this on a forum. Don't know if it's a render of real image.
Attachment 1195948
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Looking at the above picture and if it is real, this side angle really looks very disproportionate and the worst looking among all the other compact sedans in our market

Hope they have something better in offer since it would be a rather good package in terms of features, mechanicals and price and would be a strong player in this segment.
That's a pretty bad photoshop there.

Just look in this same thread few pages back and you will see clear pictures of actual car. The rear looks much better integrated and I'm pretty sure this will be the best looking sub 4m sedan out there.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 21:36   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grand i10 sedan will be officially launched late next month, as per Motoroids. It will be only unveiled on the first Press Day of the Auto Expo on February 4th, 2014.

Pricing will be close to the i20 hatchback.

Quote:
While several reports on cyber space have been claiming that Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) would unveil the upcoming model on February 4, it is only now, in an invitation to the launch event, that the manufacturer has confirmed the Hyundai Grand i10 compact sedan release date.

The upcoming model will be unveiled on the February 4th, on the first PRESS day of Auto Expo 2014 and Hyundai Grand i10 compact sedan launch is expected to happen late next month. Price of this new model could be close to that of the i20 hatchback and the soon-to-be-launched model will be a successor to the now-defunct Accent sedan.

The upcoming model will be Hyundai India’s first compact sedan ever and will lock horns with the highly popular Maruti Swift Dzire and the Honda Amaze.

While several rumors have been stating that Hyundai would launch the Grand i10 compact sedan with the Accent moniker, we believe that this car could be simply called as Hyundai Grand Compact Sedan (CS). The upcoming model will play the perfect younger sibling to the Verna in carmaker’s product portfolio for India.
SOURCE - http://www.motoroids.com/news/hyunda...unced-details/
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 21:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Continuing with the with what @RavenAvi has posted, I feel that the Grand i10 sedan will be launched at a starting price of Rs.5.10-5.20 Lacs (ex-showroom). The rationale for the same being discontinuing of i20 Magna variant from Hyundai's car booking system & Magna (O) being the only variant after Era (base). My brother had opted for the Magna, & we today upgraded the booking to Magna (O), as new Magna bookings are not being taken across any Hyundai dealership in Delhi.

Basically, it appears that this car will be priced around Rs.10-20k over comparative i20 variants, to have sufficient gap for pricing of the sedan based on Grand i10.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I feel that the Grand i10 sedan will be launched at a starting price of Rs.5.10-5.20 Lacs (ex-showroom). The rationale for the same being discontinuing of i20 Magna variant from Hyundai's car booking system & Magna (O) being the only variant after Era (base). My brother had opted for the Magna, & we today upgraded the booking to Magna (O), as new Magna bookings are not being taken across any Hyundai dealership in Delhi.
Interesting news, I too feel that Hyundai will price the car appropriately, they will regain the market. The car has already arrived at the stockyard of Hyundai in Delhi to be showcased in the upcoming auto expo. No information coming on the name but the guards who have seen it says that it looks nice. I must say that this will be the most beautiful sedan in the sub 4 meters segment.

I think we may soon see the phase out of i20 Asta(O) variant, which I have.

Last edited by mints21 : 2nd February 2014 at 22:53.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:07   #81
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I think we may soon see the phase out of i20 Asta(O) variant, which I have.
Phasing out the i20 Asta(O) would be a great disaster for the Indian car market!

Simply because it's the only car with 6 airbags that one can buy in India for well less than 1 million rupees on-road (in most places). For people on a rather limited budget who value safety, the i20 Asta(O) is the ONLY choice out there!

Hyundai are not providing 6 airbags on the Verna SX(O) variants anymore, so this move may not come as a surprise. Due to slow sales from the uninformed Indian car buying public who do not value safety, this variant is available only on a made-against-booking basis.

After the recent Global NCAP fiasco, Hyundai must stop this trend of catering to Indians' utter disregard for safety and cutting costs for cars on sale in India. Instead, they should take the lead in promoting safety in a BIG way! If they are smart, they would immediately equip even the base variants of all their cars with 2 airbags (like VW) and the top variants of the Grand i10, new sedan, i20 & Verna with 6 airbags. Prices would obviously have to be increased by some thousands of rupees.

They should then take full page advertisements in major newspapers, magazines and advertise on the radio, television, internet, billboards etc. highlighting this fact and tom-toming it to everyone that the only affordable cars in India with 6 airbags are Hyundais. It would do a great deal of damage control after the recent crash tests, and build a positive image in the minds of customers for the brand.

I remember how Hyundai advertised the Santro as the only five-seater small hatchback (with a centre lap-belt) when compared to Maruti Suzuki rivals that were classified as four-seaters with no centre lap-belt. They pointed out that five people traveling in the Santro's rivals was not only illegal, but also unsafe. The ads had an almost immediate effect. Maruti Suzuki equipped its small hatchbacks such as the Wagon R and Alto with a centre lap-belt and got them reclassified as five-seaters (of course none of them, including the Santro, could seat five adults comfortably, but that's a different issue).

Those Santro five-seater ads were what I call segment defining advertising strategy - forcing your competitors to follow your lead by changing their products. If Hyundai could do it for a simple thing such as the centre lap-belt, then why can they not do something similar with 6 airbags? Everyone (whether one buys a Hyundai or not or even hates the Hyundai brand) would benefit as a result, because it would force every manufacturer to follow the lead of Hyundai.

My faith in the Hyundai brand has been badly shaken recently, and unless they do something like this, it will not get restored.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd February 2014 at 11:25.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:33   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

The new i10 in Europe does get 6 Airbags, ESP and cruise mode at even the starting option, problem isn't Hyundai. What however is, is the Indian buyer mentality and this is how Indian thought process works > Car X is 8.5, so almost 9 (we love to round off randomly), if we give 2-3 more lacs which is merely 25-30% more we get an entry level MUV, or an entry level sedan, resale is good, can carry more people, more luggage (which wont be used 99% of the time) and we can have 'road presence'. End conclusion > who'd buy a small hatchback for 8.5 lacs when we can have a big gaadi for mere 2 lacs more. Lets factor in the cost of new seat-covers and possibly new speakers/touch-nav and if the buyer falls victim to the dealers <teflon-coating and rubberised under-coating> trap, it'll add up to 11+ lacs for an entry/mid spec sedan/muv with no airbags at all or a maximum of 2.

In theory an i20 with 6 airbags would make great sense over the above logic, both technically and financially. But things being the way they are, Hyundai couldn't sell the O variants of Verna and i20 even in small numbers. They did wait over 7 years to see if the market for the option variants picks up so I really have to split the blame in this case between the buyers and the company. In India undercutting competition is the way to sell volumes and we've to brace up for a 10 way undercutting war between all manufacturers. There is no doubt Hyundai lead the way for an automobile revolution in India. Back in late 90's-early 00's they introduced internally adjustable side mirrors, anti glare CRVM, ABS in entry level hatch Santro, the i20 set a new standard with 6 airbags, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, auto aircon, electrically foldable/adjustable side mirrors. Compare that with a Polo which when introduced had 2 airbags in the highest end and no features and a barest bare interior with a 3 cyl engine that wheezes at every gear. Even they had to improve drastically to avoid the onslaught of the Korean underdog. This is the only reason I'm a loyalist, because all I could afford were hatches and Hyundai made me smile for the money spent.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 11:06   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

What time is the launch today? Between, Business Standard has launched the Grand i10 Sedan 2 days back itself!! Unfortunately, they could NOT manage a single official pic of the car though.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200590_1.html
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 12:58   #84
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee just tweeted this:

Quote:
Hormazd Sorabjee ‏@hormazdsorabjee 13m
New Grand i10 sedan to be called Xcent
Quote:
Hyundai wants to bring back Accent name but with a twist. X is for new generation and hence Xcent
That's just a sad name IMO. Grand i10 was sad, and this is even worse. What was wrong with Accent?!

EDIT:
Here it is:

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-xcent.jpg

EDIT2:
One more image:

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-xcent2.jpg

EDIT3:
Rear view:

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-xcent3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-xcent-3.jpg  

Last edited by nipcarlover : 4th February 2014 at 13:14.
nipcarlover is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the car (courtesy Motorbeam):

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x340xhyundaixcent01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.frnfzweyi9.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x340xhyundaixcent02.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cum5gcberq.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x340xhyundaixcent03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ckvwfdv8o.jpg

Nipam did not realize you had posted the pics as well. Apologies to all for duplication.

The car gets ACC & rear armrest over Grand i10.

Interior pics in the meanwhile:

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-hyundaixcentboot.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x375xhyundaixcent04.jpg.pagespeed.ic.svrfrdopmk.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x375xhyundaixcent07.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gi_jtfgpam.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-500x375xhyundaixcent08.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pywtngxjhe.jpg

Last edited by CARDEEP : 4th February 2014 at 13:20.
CARDEEP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Pics of the car (courtesy Motorbeam)
This just looks sad..IMO the new Tata Zest will beat this hands down
hrn658276 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:46   #87
BHPian

The back looks similar to previous gen dzire?
Old 4th February 2014, 13:47   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics from the launch:

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-bfnzmvdccaaljtw.jpg-large.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-bfnz6znccaazh9h.jpg-large.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-bfnzttpcmaavp0.jpg-large.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-bfnbo1gceaaoopz.jpg-large.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-bfnbkvrcuaan0pm.jpg-large.jpg

SOURCE - Various Twitter accounts

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th February 2014 at 13:55.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:53   #89
Senior - BHPian

Looks as good or bad as the Amaze IMO, only dampner could be the 1.1L diesel engine, Hyundai should offer the 1.4L 4-cylinder diesel for this car.

More interior pics (courtesy ODI):

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-06_xcent_2dinaudio.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-10_xcent_pushbuttonstart.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-11_xcent_rearacvent.jpg

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-12_xcent_doormappocket.jpg

Last edited by CARDEEP : 4th February 2014 at 13:56.
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Disappointingly it comes with the same 1.1 liter diesel engine as the hatch. A bit too underpowered in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks