Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should elderly drivers be retested regularly after the age of 70?
Yes 45 52.94%
No 14 16.47%
Moot point, the RTO driver tests are a farce. 26 30.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 20:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should elderly drivers be retested after the age of 70?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let's clear the vagueness right away.

Elderly drivers in this thread refer to people who are in their 70s or more, who were capable drivers once, but don't have the same eyes or reflexes or strength they once possessed.

In other words, this thread is about people who have aged 70 or more and have diminished vision, reflex and strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This thread is about elderly drivers who have lost their ability for drive competently, like my mom's cousin who is 88 and can barely control the car.

All his cousins who are in their 70s and 80s themselves, are saying they find his driving scary. How is that discriminating?
Now that you've specified what that certain age is, and defined what some of the other qualifiers are, I guess a change in the thread title is warranted. I was wondering if someone was trying to link 'stop driving' age with 'retire from employment' age.

However, I do know of plenty of people who drive - and drive quite well - above the age of 80. Some of them drive 20+ km to visit me. Only issue they mention is their unwillingness to take an evening appointment.

I'd think the 'allowed to drive' bit should strictly be on a case-to-case basis, and cannot be generalized. Take their driving test once every 2 years by all means, but don't put out an age-related blanket ban on driving by elderly folks.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:15   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Only issue they mention is their unwillingness to take an evening appointment. I'd think the 'allowed to drive' bit should strictly be on a case-to-case basis, and cannot be generalized. Take their driving test once every 2 years by all means, but don't put out an age-related blanket ban on driving by elderly folks.
Dear SS, I am half the age you mentioned. Were I to visit anyone and had I perforce to drive 20kms through one of our dear Indian cities, then even I would surely not wish to take an evening appointment!
Old 11th December 2013, 20:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should elderly drivers be retested after the age of 70?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
...even I would surely not wish to take an evening appointment!
LOL - no, I should have clarified. They all face difficulties with night vision, so they avoid driving during the times when one needs to use headlamps.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:10   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
LOL - no, I should have clarified. They all face difficulties with night vision, so they avoid driving during the times when one needs to use headlamps.
I hate the headlamp glare and dazzle at night. Hence I avoid night driving as much as possible. Except when I am visiting the hilly parts.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think completion of seventy years would be a reasonably good age to stop driving, provided one possesses all the faculties till then.
Isn't that a little harsh? My wife's aunt is 85 and still drives herself. Her eyesight is perfect even now and she is in good health. Can easily pass for someone 20 years younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post
The default validity of a Driving License is 20 years. How about reducing it to 5/10 years once you are above 60.
Already clarified by others- DL gets extended only till age 50 after which the renewal duration is 5 years. However it isn't clear whether a retest is required at every instance and I doubt in India it would even be enforced.

Self regulation is the best way, or in some cases, intervention by relatives. It has to be on sound grounds though... I would be mighty offended if my kids tried to snatch my keys from me just because I am old! My dad stopped driving after 60 because his eyesight deteriorated to the point where he was not confident anymore. It was his choice but he us more rational than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I hate the headlamp glare and dazzle at night. Hence I avoid night driving as much as possible. Except when I am visiting the hilly parts.
Off topic I know but Samurai also mentioned this so am addressing it. Do you guys use anti glare lenses? I know Samurai is bespectacled, not sure about you, SB. They are extremely useful in reducing direct glare while driving at night.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should elderly drivers be retested after the age of 70?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Isn't that a little harsh? My wife's aunt is 85 and still drives herself. Her eyesight is perfect even now and she is in good health. Can easily pass for someone 20 years younger.
Well, may be 75 years then. But in general, age of superannuation + 10 years should be a good enough yardstick, I think.

When I went for the renewal, I did not even see the Doctor who certified me! I went through a driving school to save time. They move with the RTO office on a regular basis for obtaining DL for their pupils, and take up the work for renewals too. The doctor's certification was part of the package!

But the licensing officer does see you, and speaks a few innocuous words with you. Just to ascertain that the applicant is able bodied and is able to hear and see, I suppose!

In the eighties and early nineties they will issue license even without seeing you. But it so happened Rajiv murder accused "one eyed" Sivarasan was issued a DL in the RTO office I am talking about (Meenambakkam), which came to light after the killing and all hell broke loose! After that I think all RTO officers in TN issue DL only after physically seeing the applicant!
Old 12th December 2013, 16:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion one should not be penalized for age, but after a certain age the driving licence should be valid only for people who take a thorough medical review annually.
A driving licence issued to youngsters valid for 20 years is also a wrong practice, as even some one under 40 may develop medical issues that lead to him being a unsafe driver.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'No'.
Let the person decide whether she/he can drive or not. If somebody's driving is dangerous, complain to police to confiscate that person's driving license (no matter what the age is). Asking somebody to retest again (even though that person is driving fine) is unnecessary hassle. Renewal of DL require medical fitness certificate. That should be sufficient evidence about the person's capability for the duration of the DL.

Last edited by msdivy : 12th December 2013 at 18:40.
Old 12th December 2013, 19:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

There's an 80+ year old respectable gentleman, who drives a MM540 daily for 10+ km from his home to farm(my farm is nearby), and he uses this jeep to ferry laborers and materials.

He doesn't move his eyes off the road ahead come what may.

So IMHO, no point in asking the elders to stay off.
Old 13th December 2013, 19:42   #40
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should elderly drivers be retested regularly after the age of 70?

After moving the recent discussions to a new thread, I have created a new poll. The vBulletin doesn't give a clean way to reset the poll.
Old 13th December 2013, 20:48   #41
BHPian

I dont see restricting elders or making them run around RTO for renewals at short duration make sense. The rule should be same for all and not discriminate elderly.

The way I see, elder citizens are aware of their driving abilities and care more for their health. They will not risk driving if they are blinded by night lights or bad reflexes. They are well aware of their weakness and know what a fall or accident can do to them. Some live in denial but that percentage, IMO, is very less.

Frankly they will not take the vehicle out unless really necessary. Not all people over 70 can be seen the same as well. Our country is ruled by senior citizens, that says a lot about their mental ability
Old 13th December 2013, 22:10   #42
BHPian

A person's reflexes become slower with age. It is for the person to be rational and decide when he or she has to stop driving. My dad drove an Ambassador until he was seventy. He stopped driving gradually. First he stopped driving during the evening and night time. The he stopped driving during the peak hours. Gradually and gracefully he retired to the back seat.
I have been driving since I was 18. I am 57 now. I intend to drive until I know that I cannot manage owing to diminishing health. My driving license is renewed every 5 years and I have to go for a driving test. I wish that they (RTO) insist that the health/fitness certificate is issued by by a recognised body or hospital and a test is done to determine the driving competency of the person.
Regards,
Ashok
Old 15th December 2013, 16:35   #43
BHPian

I just want to drop in a polite something: I am young; I am 63; and it is only now that I have become a safe driver. When I was in my mid-twenties I gave up driving as I found myself to be too rash for safety. This thread is not about driving; this thread is also not about the elderly; but this thread is about logical thinking. Somebody has a relative who is a scary driver. Now it just happens that that relative is also 85 (or whatever) years old. Hence the logical conclusion is that elderly should NOT be allowed to drive. Tut tut, one needs to re-take elementary lessons in logical thinking.
Now picture Shoemaker at 90. He would have to grow that old to become a safe driver, he he. At any earlier age he just cannot be allowed to drive outside of the race-track. He may not drive bad, but he can still induce many accidents. Come on guys, I hope you will stop beating the dead donkey and get down to something better to talk about.
gostel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 17:14   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Hence the logical conclusion is that elderly should NOT be allowed to drive. Tut tut, one needs to re-take elementary lessons in logical thinking.
May be you should start taking those lesson now.

This thread is not about stopping elderly drivers, but retesting elderly driver once they reach 70. Do read the title if you care.

If the elderly driver passes the test, then he can continue driving until the next test. Assuming that every elderly person will have the sense to give up at the right time is naive. There are always some who don't want to give up even after severe age induced handicap, and cause danger to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Now picture Shoemaker at 90. He would have to grow that old to become a safe driver, he he. At any earlier age he just cannot be allowed to drive outside of the race-track. He may not drive bad, but he can still induce many accidents. Come on guys, I hope you will stop beating the dead donkey and get down to something better to talk about.
Very strange logic, don't know what was the purpose of this example. Who is this Shoemaker? Does he own a shoe factory?

My mom's cousin has been a good driver most of his driving life. He has become dangerous now because he can barely see and can barely control the vehicle.
Old 15th December 2013, 19:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

What about the elderly who are otherwise physically fit, but have problems dealing with the traffic? That was the major reason for my grandfather stopping driving. He was OK otherwise - eyesight, reflexes, fitness - were all good. But he just could not cope with increasing traffic and the general disregard for rules, so he stopped driving.

Is there a way we can test for this aspect as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks