Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 16:25   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO: A Close Look

I can understand manufacturers trying to cut corners to make the vehicles more and more cost effective and to cater for the lower budget segment but I feel this has gone way too far!

This car is purely for ladies, to ferry the nursery going kids and to buy vegetables/groceries.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:42   #137
BHPian

The car looks pretty good, much better than the newly launched Celerio, IMO. From the ACI review looks like there are some real irritants - that useless audio system the cost of which could have been used better, no hatch release from outside, etc. Nissan could have definitely packaged it better.

Little OT, but the ACI review is just one long passage with no headings, topics whatsoever. There is no way I could get straight to what i wanted. It only struck me then as to how our TBHP reviews are so well organized and easy to read.
Old 5th March 2014, 19:22   #138
BHPian

Re: Datsun GO: A Close Look - What about Nissan / Hover clash?

How does Datsun plan to sell these cars through Nissan?

Nissan isn't sure if it would be able to sell Nissan cars in India for now. Haven't seen any latest updates after Hover had planned to drag Nissan India to court last month!

Last seen here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...says-no-3.html

I am sure Datsun wouldn't want to have the start / launch planned in this manner!!!

Thanks,
C_
Old 5th March 2014, 20:15   #139
BHPian

I had checked this car out in person in some mall a couple of months back. The first impression I had was whoa this is spacious!
Reports say that the pricing would be in the range of 2.99-3.99 l which I think would not be an issue for them.
Considering the current dealer network that Nissan has in India, they would be looking at Metro and Tier-1 and 2 cities primarily, so the pricing point would not be as sensitive initially as it is being made out to be.
Yes it scores on the Alto 800 in terms of interior space and the Alto K10 too. I think the build quality should be better for the Datsun's though I am not saying they would be in a different league altogether. They could have avoided a few cheap gimmicks though as part of their cost cutting measure and provided an optional top-end version like the Beat which had airbags or a single airbag like the Alto and the Wagon R do.
Missing a safety feature variant is something they would also have factored in because at the pricing point of 2.5-4 lakhs very few cars with safety features sell, heck only the Alto 800 comes with safety features in this price range. it would also be interesting to find out the proportion of cars sold with and without airbags/safety kit in this segment.
There would some of us who would like the Go and some wouldn't but I hope that this car doesn't turn out to be a dud as the Eon did for Hyundai.
Realistically Nissan should be looking at sales to stabilize at 1 - 1.5 k units with their current dealer network.
Old 5th March 2014, 20:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What was Datsun thinking?
If I had to hazard a guess, they are looking at the take rate on ABS/Airbags in the A seg and thinking that customers don't really want it (want to pay for it rather)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
The top end GO will have all the features you mentioned.
Any tech details on what has been done to the Micra engine to reduce power and get better FE?

Last edited by Mpower : 5th March 2014 at 21:24.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 14:14   #141
Senior - BHPian

Is Eon a dud? I'm asking purely for my knowledge as I see it sold over 7000 units in Feb.

There would some of us who would like the Go and some wouldn't but I hope that this car doesn't turn out to be a dud as the Eon did for Hyundai.
[/quote]
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 10:46   #142
Senior - BHPian

Zigwheels is claiming that the Datsun Go could be priced at (starting price) as low as Rs.3 Lacs. Link to their report:

http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...-3-lakh/18034/

IMO this could be real VFM pricing for the Go to make a healthy start.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 11:17   #143
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Any tech details on what has been done to the Micra engine to reduce power and get better FE?
Autocar India have some details on the engine output modifications. This is taken from their comparison of Micra Active, Figo and Wagon R. The Go shares the same state of tune of the HR12DE 1.2 lit. motor as the Micra Active, in an even lighter chassis - 769 kg as opposed to 900 kg for the Micra Active. This should mean the Go is a pocket rocket!

Look at the Micra Active’s spec sheet and you will realise that the engine has lost almost 10 of its precious horses. And for an engine this size, it seems like a lot! So does it feel underpowered? Simply put, no. What’s changed then? Nissan’s R&D has concentrated on delivering the best possible fuel economy and, as part of their ECU recalibration process, also lowered the previous 6,000rpm rev limit to 5,250rpm. It has moved the power band lower as well, and this has resulted in fantastic city driveability thanks to the vastly improved low-end torque.

Crank the Micra and you will be surprised by the smoothness this three-pot unit offers. Compared to the Wagon R, which is also a three-cylinder engine, the Micra’s motor is much smoother and the idle is as quiet as a four-cylinder unit. Depress the light clutch, slot the gearlever into first with a positive click, pat the throttle and the Active gives you little cause to quibble. Throttle response at low revs and on part-throttle is surprisingly good – we found ourselves comfortably driving in fifth gear at speeds as low as 50kph. The Micra relies on the most traditional engineering trick through the ages – weight reduction. Hence, despite the lack of outright horsepower, the light Active doesn’t feel bogged down. The best way to drive this car is to keep the engine spinning at low to moderate engine speeds, as after 4,500rpm, the engine starts to get a bit gruff. Also, it gets a bit noisy after 2,500rpm and there is a pronounced transmission whine in the first two gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Is Eon a dud? I'm asking purely for my knowledge as I see it sold over 7000 units in February.
Eon a dud? Let the numbers speak for themselves:

For the month of February this year, sales as they stood in the Eon's segment:

Maruti Suzuki Alto800 + Alto k10 - 24,623 units

Hyundai Eon - 7,312 units

Tata Nano - 2,496 units

Over the course of the last year or more, the Eon has been consistently ranked among the top 10 selling cars in India (source: Team-BHP monthly sales threads).

If a car in the top 10 selling list is a dud, then the market would literally be full of duds.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 22:50   #144

I have noticed in zigwheels review pictures the FE displayed, its just 12.5 kmpl(see second picture). See the link at end.

I am facing the same situation with my Micra active xv, which share the same engine, I really struggle in stop and go city traffic to go above 13 kmpl mark, with aircon on. On high ways its easy to clock 22kmpl mark.

So I think the FE figure for Datsun shown in review is real from my experience.
Nissan needs to do more R&D to improve FE .May be Nissan consider 2 ecu maps for city and highway. This may help improve Fe

So still for FE it is still favor of alto 800.
If tata can refine the nano engine, it will be the leader in the class.
After all one needs is only aircon , power steering, power window and a good music system., all other luxuries are not frequently used.
Also I think we can replace the Datsun mobile dock with a single din stereo system.

For a bigger car and for driving pleasure Datsun will be alternative.

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/17993/
ckdeeepak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 10:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

My sentiments exactly. You are bang on with regards to Eon and I was responding to Baddychat's quote where he calls it a dud. A car that sells over 7000 cant be a dud by any stretch of imagination. Its a poorly marketed car, that's all.

If the Go is priced in the band which Zigwheels suggests - 3 lakh onwards, it could do really well. Good move Datsun.

Quote - Eon a dud? Let the numbers speak for themselves:

For the month of February this year, sales as they stood in the Eon's segment:

Maruti Suzuki Alto800 + Alto k10 - 24,623 units

Hyundai Eon - 7,312 units

Tata Nano - 2,496 units

Over the course of the last year or more, the Eon has been consistently ranked among the top 10 selling cars in India (source: Team-BHP monthly sales threads).

If a car in the top 10 selling list is a dud, then the market would literally be full of duds. [/quote]
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 11:20   #146
BHPian

The car looks bigger and more practical than any hatch below Rs 4 lacs.

The NDTV auto review claims that the audio system can be replaced and the broad passenger seat area can instead have an arm rest as an accessory.
If that is true the Datsun can surely appeal to more buyers who so far didn't like these two features.

Check out the video where this information is taken from:

http://auto.ndtv.com/videos/ready-to-go-312373
rock75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 10:43   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun Go launch on the 18th of March.

Quote:
Datsun Go will be available in four colours, White, silver, red and blue. The interior trims will be basic beige or a dual-tone beige and brown. The dual-tone will be available on the experience variants. The biggest USP of the Go, will be its space, powertrain and the design. This is the first vehicle to have a mobile docking station, which comes as a factory-fit in it. The top-of-the-line doesn’t even get ABS
Quote:
The Datsun Go is the most spacious in its segment and the 1.2-litre engine returns a fuel efficiency of in excess of 20 km/l as per the ARAI driving cycle. The Go also has a driver information system that tells you about the fuel efficiency, the trip etc. Datsun states this is also a segment-first feature in the Go
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ysis-12604.htm

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th March 2014 at 10:45.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 11:55   #148
Senior - BHPian

I had already saw few cars (registered) here in Delhi roads last week. May be they had started delivering for early birds.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 11th March 2014 at 11:58.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:41   #149
Senior - BHPian

The way hand brake is designed in this car is simply yucks! Reminds me old days. Some terrible cost cutting i would say. With poor network from Nissan, i don't think Go has any bright future in near term. Car looks good from outside but really disappoints big way from inside.

I guess this car will also suffer Cheap car image as Nano did. From the day one, Nissan is shouting that its a cheaper, cost effective brand. That's a bad marketing i would say. So i guess many people will stay away from it due to this one reason only. Nobody likes to buy cheap brands, specially when it comes to buying a Car. Its still a prestige issue in India
Old 11th March 2014, 15:07   #150
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say, this car will fade away from the Indian market even before you can say the words ALTO or EON. The instrument cluster looks too cheap, so does the 'music system' offered and so does the lid less glove box ( Are the car papers supposed to be kept in the open glove box without a lid' ? And all this in a car which Indian public does not even know about. FAIL.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks