Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO: A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersteer View Post
The maximum power rating only serves as a ballpark indicator of performance, does not necessarily show how the vehicle stacks up on the road. We have had 93 bhp cars faster than 100bhp ones.

Just for the sake of records, 0-100 figures from Autocar

Alto K10 - 15.87 secs
WagonR/Stingray - 16.9 secs

Nissan Micra - 14.23 secs

Now tell me, which one amongst these should appeal to an enthusiast? The steering on K10 etc are also pretty lifeless.
Can you please share the link for the Alto K10 data? It used to be 13.3 seconds when Maruti launched K10 and I don't see any reason why it should get slower by over 2 seconds!

EDIT: Alto K10 website still says it is 13.3 seconds. Link

Last edited by zenren : 22nd January 2014 at 13:49.
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:48   #92
Senior - BHPian

I have spotted the little Datsun Go while on the move quite a few times, as Renault Nissan facility is quite close to my house and it looks really pleasant from the rear. Especially so in the Nissan Terrano's marketing colour.

So, when I parked my car at the Express Avenue mall last weekend, it wasn't too tough to identify the Datsun Go! Only the logos were masked, but the car was camouflage free, and looked like a Demo car, with all the fancy stickers on it. However, could take only one picture, before the driver came bouncing from inside to stop me from taking any further pics.

Name:  Datsun Go.PNG
Views: 5509
Size:  463.5 KB

The driver though let me explore the car completely, after promising not to take any more pics. And here is my first impression -

- The car is definitely spacious, with enough room like in a Hyundai i10 and this would surely be a key USP for this car.
- 99% of plastics inside the car are either beige or very light brown, and the test car I sat in was soiled completely, a definite 'No', given the dusty driving conditions in our country.
- Music system head unit was pathic to look at and to use, but had a USB plugged in, musiq quality was strictly average, as expected from a car of this segment.
- The seat cover was a mix of both fabric and artificial leather, and again in light beige, was looking shabbily dirty.
- The beige steering was turning dark brown from use of dirty hands, expect stains everywhere after trips to the mechanis'c clinic each time.
- The engine was very refined for a 3 cylinder unit and as per the driver, it performs better than the Micra inside the city and is pretty fuel efficient too.
- Rear seat was pretty wide, but the legroom was a bit on the tighter side.
- The one I sat inside, was the top spec car, and that had front power windows, rear doors had manual windows only.
- Door handles were made from the same mould of the Micra, but the texture and colour are worlds apart.
- There is enough space between the tiny 12 inch wheels and the huge wheel arches to stowe a suit case Looks ungainly, and I suspect, this huge wheel arch was designed as the chassis had to spawn a MUV and a SUV too.
- The boot was huge, the space inside easily compares to a Grande i10, however, expect no cladding or padding, its all just bare and rudimentary in there.
- The hydraulic struts to keep the boot lid open was either not present or not functioning properly, the hatch kept slowly coming down.
- The doors felt terribly light and fragile and tinny! My decade old 800 has a slightly more solid feel, one slam and it raises questions with regards to the build quality and safety.
- All door handles ( inside and outside ) were made of cheap plastic and seemed like they would give way pretty soon.
- Hood release lever was missing in this test car, and thus couldn't check what was under the hood, though I wasnt expecting an engine cover or cladding there.
- Test car was devoid of fog lamps even on the highest spec, maybe it would be an optional accessory only.

Overall, it is a very spacious, functional yet tinny car what would appeal to buyers of the Alto on account of the space, and a slightly better lookinf interiors.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 22nd January 2014 at 15:51.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:52   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Can you please share the link for the Alto K10 data? It used to be 13.3 seconds when Maruti launched K10 and I don't see any reason why it should get slower by over 2 seconds!

EDIT: Alto K10 website still says it is 13.3 seconds. Link

Autocar India - Jan '14 issue page 267 - Alto K10 0-100 15.87 secs
Autocar India - Dec '13 issue page 263 - Alto K10 0-100 15.87 secs
Autocar India - Feb '12 issue page 303 - Alto K10 0-100 15.87 secs

Likewise on all intervening issues.

Could scan and post, but that would draw copyright infringement issues.

The timings for Wagon-R and stingray are more than a second slower. Which is more or less consistent with observation.

The timing for the Micra was from the same source, so should probably be seen as a level playing field, also Micra even feels faster driven Pedal to Metal.
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:31   #94
BHPian

Saw this red Datsun with very little camouflage near Chola Fortune hotel.
Attached Thumbnails
Datsun GO: A Close Look-img236.jpg  

BraveArc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:01   #95
BHPian

The car looks really good in flesh, as seen in the recent pics without any camouflage. Far better than the Alto 800 or even K10. Looks like a mini i20. If priced well, this can do well. Whilst many have been cribbing about the head unit etc, this can always be replaced with a normal music system which Datsun appears to be offering as an accessory. C'mon, base and mid variants of Alto, Eon, even i10 do not offer a music system at all. Let's wait and watch and give Nissan / Datsun a fair assessment before criticizing and writing this off !
aroonanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Based on the impressions of fellow BHPians who saw the top variant in flesh, I'm a little sceptical regarding the Go unless the top end sits below 3.5 lakhs.

If near the 4L mark, the top end Go would need to compete with the likes of Wagon R LXi which comes with power steering, front power windows, manual central locking etc. at 3.93 lakhs. Others in this range include base variants of i10, Beat, Indica and Figo. Most likely, the Celerio base model might also get slotted in this vicinity.

Everything boils down to price vs features for their lower variants.
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
If near the 4L mark, the top end Go would need to compete with the likes of Wagon R LXi which comes with power steering, front power windows, manual central locking etc. at 3.93 lakhs.
The top end GO will have all the features you mentioned.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
The top end GO will have all the features you mentioned.
Yes, the top end Go would have the features of the mid variant Wagon R. Big question is what additional features would the Go top end have to persuade a buyer to buy a Go instead of a Wagon R LXi if both are similarly priced?

1.2L engine can only come to the rescue when pitted against Alto 800 and Eon. When bigger guys like Figo/Beat/Indica are in the same price band, all these cars also have 1.2L engine.
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Unless and until Nissan reaches all over India with their dealer network, it will not be successful. Already people has negative mindset on Nissan due to few dealerships they have at limited locations. I am not sure how people are going to accept Datsun as a brand which is from Nissan. They need to start more & more dealerships to grab the attention from masses. In city like Pune also, i guess they have only 1 showroom. How they will get more business then?

Anyways, car looked good in metallic red posted above
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.2L engine can only come to the rescue when pitted against Alto 800 and Eon. When bigger guys like Figo/Beat/Indica are in the same price band, all these cars also have 1.2L engine.
Humble opinion from a person who has experienced this car personally. Features or not, this car cannot compete with the Figo / Beat / Vista. This is purely a budget hatch with more car per rupee as its motto, thats right - read Indica. And with no diesel engine, this cannot compete with the Indica either.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Humble opinion from a person who has experienced this car personally. Features or not, this car cannot compete with the Figo / Beat / Vista. This is purely a budget hatch with more car per rupee as its motto, thats right - read Indica. And with no diesel engine, this cannot compete with the Indica either.
Aravind,
Having seen the top end car, what is your take on Go top end vs Wagon R LXi comparison? How much premium would you be willing to give to get a Wagon R instead of Go? (Or vice versa if that is the case)
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

That Volume knob looks pricier than the car.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:55   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Having seen the top end car, what is your take on Go top end vs Wagon R LXi comparison? How much premium would you be willing to give to get a Wagon R instead of Go? (Or vice versa if that is the case)
My two cents on this...

I would personally pick the Go just for the perceived better dynamics. I am / was never a fan of Wagon R in spite of having had two generations of Waggie at home (dad's car).

To me, Wagon R has

- good seating position
- good space
- Maruti badge
- Good FE (on highways)
- BOXY looks
- has a lousy steering
- bouncy ride
- uninspiring motor (in City)
- average plastics
- scary dynamics, though the current generation is MUCH better than previous one

Go scores on the first two points very close to Wagon R. The rest have to be tested for. Even if other parameters are quite close, I would pick Go for the looks alone. From the exterior, this is a very good looking car. I would NOT (like to) look at a premium price for Go compared to Wagon R though as I would consider a better badge value for Maruti. Priced at the same spot, Go will make my decision easier. For a premium, Go will have to satisfy me with a better dynamics & engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
That Volume knob looks pricier than the car.
Trust me, it's one of the better pieces inside the car; it does NOT look / operate in a budget way.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd January 2014 at 19:02.
Old 28th January 2014, 07:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aravind,
Having seen the top end car, what is your take on Go top end vs Wagon R LXi comparison? How much premium would you be willing to give to get a Wagon R instead of Go? (Or vice versa if that is the case)
The Wagon R is a more solid car ! I never thought I would use these words, but trust me, 5 minutes with the car and the doors very easily give you that tin can feel of the Nano. Unless the engine performance and refinement are significantly better, I would stick to the Wagon R.
Datsun vs Alto 800 would actually be a fair comparison.
Old 31st January 2014, 13:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

DatsunGo sedan has been caught on camera in Russia (Link - http://wroom.ru/news/1686). Here are the pics:

Datsun GO: A Close Look-500x275xdatsungosedanrussiafront.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2dhicnqbda.jpg

Datsun GO: A Close Look-500x330xdatsungosedanrussiarear.jpg.pagespeed.ic.nkdoi8p0m5.jpg

Looks good at the front, but the rear is not that looker... probably function (huge boot) over form.
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed