Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 15:18   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO: A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
in an even lighter chassis - 769 kg as opposed to 900 kg for the Micra Active.
Another zero star safety rating car in the making ?

quoting something related to this from another thread.
Quote:
Andy Palmer, the head of Nissan's global product planning, on the recent crash tests on cars sold in India:
"I think the people who criticise these cars for not meeting US or European crash standards are living in a dream world. We are talking about cars built to transport people who would otherwise be four or five-up on a motorcycle. These people today can't afford more, and if we fit safety systems we will drive the prices up and they'll choose the motorbike again. A car with a body and individual seats is much safer than a bike."
Edit: Note the part in bold, ironically he will be using one of the safest car from nissan with N number of airbags. He should try driving one of those death traps on Indian highway after watching the crash test videos.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 11th March 2014 at 15:20.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 16:52   #152
Senior - BHPian

As per Motorbash, the Go will be available in 4 colours - Sky Blue, Silver, White & Red. There will be 2 Interiors trim combination - Plain & Jacquard Fabric.

Datsun GO: A Close Look-datsungocolouroptionsinteriors.jpg

Also there won't be any variant/ trim badging on the car.

More details here:

http://motorbash.com/datsun-go-colou...-launch-price/
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 10:36   #153
Team-BHP Support

Datsun has announced that it will launch the GO hatchback, its first product for India on March 19, 2014.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 12:38   #154
BHPian

International Players somehow refrain from adding Safety features (even as an optional top variant) in India, mainly because it increases the cost and stretches the price band. Same applies to Indian manufacturers too.

Secondly awareness about safety features like ABS/Airbags amongst buyers (especially in this segment) is very low. So there would be few willing to pay extra for the safety features, considering it as of not much value addition.

I think Indian Govt can do a bit of help in promoting safety features in Cars by having differential Excise Duty (read lower) on cars with ABS/Airbags, rather than the current rule of Sub 4m (dont know what purpose it serves). So may be they can keep criteria like lower displacement - higher Fuel Efficiency and basic safety features for qualifying for lower excise duty. This is one possible way of promoting safety in Cars in the entry segment.

BTW had checked Datsun Go at the Auto Expo and one thing that strikes immediately is space. The Nissan executive was very quick in showing the boot, which means they want to promote this car as spacious affordable entry hatchback. The build quality is also decent if not very good. The styling is neutral. But the biggest disadvantage is the network for Nissan / Datsun. I am not too sure if they even have 30% reach compared to Maruti. So I personally feel if they can sell 5 - 6000 cars per month, they should be happy with it.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

Datsun Go based sedan, will be launched in Russia on 04 April, & a sketch & video have been launched.

Datsun's Russian website is live from today: http://www.datsun.ru/

Here is the sketch (courtesy Motorbash):

Datsun GO: A Close Look-datsunsedanmodelrussia.jpg

More details & video on Motorbash link beow:

http://motorbash.com/datsuns-sedan-s...-russia-video/

Last edited by CARDEEP : 13th March 2014 at 12:55.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:23   #156
BHPian

Saw a white Datsun Go just now being unloaded from the truck. Looks like a display / demo car that has arrived in time for the launch next week.
Old 14th March 2014, 15:29   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun Go Warranty, Service Intervals & Free Services

Quote:
Warranty:
Datsun will be providing Go with a warranty of 2 years and unlimited kilometres. Other companies provide an optional additional warranty for a maximum of two years.
Free Services:
As you can see from the leaflet below, Datsun Go gets at least two free services
First free service is NOT around the 1000kms as is the generic practice. It is mandated at 5000kms and 6 months, followed by the second one at 10,000kms or 12 mon
Service Intervals:
Go has relatively simpler service intervals of 6 months or 5000kms right from the word go.

http://motorbash.com/revealed-datsun...-manual-scans/

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th March 2014 at 15:30.
Old 14th March 2014, 18:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a silver GO outside the Nissan dealership. Considering the price at which its going to be offered. It looks pretty nice. I know the interiors are not to everyone's taste.
Old 15th March 2014, 11:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

ACI have made a comparison of official prices of the accessories of Go, Econ & AltoK10. Here is link to their report:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-375225.aspx/0

IMO most of the stuff is reasonably priced & in line with the budget car strategy.
Old 16th March 2014, 17:19   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
International Players somehow refrain from adding Safety features (even as an optional top variant) in India, mainly because it increases the cost and stretches the price band. Same applies to Indian manufacturers too.

Secondly awareness about safety features like ABS/Airbags amongst buyers (especially in this segment) is very low. So there would be few willing to pay extra for the safety features, considering it as of not much value addition.

I think Indian Govt can do a bit of help in promoting safety features in Cars by having differential Excise Duty (read lower) on cars with ABS/Airbags, rather than the current rule of Sub 4m (dont know what purpose it serves). So may be they can keep criteria like lower displacement - higher Fuel Efficiency and basic safety features for qualifying for lower excise duty. This is one possible way of promoting safety in Cars in the entry segment.

BTW had checked Datsun Go at the Auto Expo and one thing that strikes immediately is space. The Nissan executive was very quick in showing the boot, which means they want to promote this car as spacious affordable entry hatchback. The build quality is also decent if not very good. The styling is neutral. But the biggest disadvantage is the network for Nissan / Datsun. I am not too sure if they even have 30% reach compared to Maruti. So I personally feel if they can sell 5 - 6000 cars per month, they should be happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If I had to hazard a guess, they are looking at the take rate on ABS/Airbags in the A seg and thinking that customers don't really want it (want to pay for it rather)

Isn't it amazing how we Indians react differently when a foreign brand is involved compared to when a local brand is involved in cost cutting and skipping safety features.

Above posts are just an example - where the blame has been indirectly put on the Indian government or the Indian customers, for Datsun not offering safety features in car.

But when our own Maruti/Tata skip safety features, we go all out to bash these brands and give examples of foreign brands and sing praises for them.

The quoted posts are just small examples - among the many posts in this thread, where there is no direct criticism of Datsun - rather a shifting of blame to somewhere else.
Why? Just because its "Phoren brand" and the Indian mentality of soft corner for foreign brands.

No offence to anyone, but just something i observed over the past few years being on this forum.

Last edited by DCEite : 16th March 2014 at 17:22.
Old 17th March 2014, 10:31   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...No offence to anyone, but just something i observed over the past few years being on this forum.
Your eyes see ONLY what you want to see! Couple of pages back, there was vehement protest against Datusn for providing a cheap, no safety features car! Am surprised you missed it.

Having said that, I don't find a reason for blaming Datsun. If Nano gives ABS / Airbags as option, how many would opt for it; same with Alto / Datsun. This is a segment which is targeted at the motorcycle owning segment. If these features are missed in a 5L+ car, yes there is a point in argument.

Ours is a country where people don't even bother about wearing a seat belt for their safety but for rules. And better not talk about the "empowerment" of a need of ABS / Airbags.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 22:05   #162
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Go in person today. There is one thing writ large in this car, that is space; not as crampy as the Eon or Alto. Cheapness does not take the first place, as was in the old Liva. And I guess it could blow away the competition with a 1.2L engine; sad that there was no test drive car yet. This is a VFM segment and sure the Go does score two USP here.

I can only hope that Nissan/Datsun does not screw up with another capable product.
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 14:21   #163
BHPian

And I checked out the car as well today. Couple of points to be noted:

1. Looks decent and minimalistic, which is something a lot of people might like
2. That sky blue colour looks better in a picture than in actual IMHO, but still is soothing to the eye
3. Gives you the feeling it has been built to cost - however it does not exude cheap
4. That added padding on the front row in no way is suitable even for a child
5. Good boot space - should be in the region of 230+ litres
6. Slightly Cramped leg room at the rear
7. Decent front seats and flimsy rear seat in order to scope out a bigger boot
8. The mileage talked about was around the 20 mark by sales guys
9. Very odd placement of gears and levers - someone habituated to the normal cars would find it slightly annoying, however, someone buying their first car would not
10. Not a very good ICE (or speakers as well)
11. The headlights were fairly decent (both in looks as well as luminance)
12. Doors 'sounded' very light
13. AC worked decently

In all, this might attract a first time buyer in the sub 4 Lakh Category. Nissan would have done well to atleast include a version which has ABS + Airbags. And it should put out a warning not to seat a child on that extended passenger seat.

Some changes might still increase the chances of it being sold (Read major Improvements for our country)
1. Better ICE (We are crazy about this)
2. Dual Wiper Blades (How am I ever going to clean up?)
3. Closed Glove box (You expect me to keep all my Knick Knacks outside? In the open?)
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 14:52   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Edit:: If Nissan is smart enough to provide an AMC package for 3 / 5 years with the costs of services mentioned upfront, it will bring a lot of confidence on this brand. And Nissan should do something of this sort if they need some pie from Alto / Eon.
Don't know about the maintenance packages, but Datsun is obviously trying to woo customers by displaying service costs as per a maintenance chart showed by carsizzler. Though I can bet that workshop guys everywhere are talented enough to draw more money out of customers' pockets. Also, Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai offer 3 free services (check - Free labor on servicing) however, this chart shows only 2 free labor services by Datsun!
luxo_barge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 16:50   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun Go price; top-end XV trim likley to cost Rs 3.8 lakh.(ex showroom Delhi)

The base Datsun Go gets just basic equipment like black bumpers, manually adjustable windows and is devoid of power steering and air conditioning.
The mid-level Go will come equipped with air conditioning and a two-speaker audio docking system with just aux-in compatibility.

The top-end Go is expected to be called the Go XV and will get all features of the mid variant and additionally gets front power windows, electric power steering, body coloured bumpers, wheel caps, a gear shift guide, folding rear seat bench, instrument panel with on-board computer which displays a digital tachometer, tripmeter, distance-to-empty along with the average and instantaneous fuel efficiency and a segment-first follow-me-home headlamps.

Motoroid released specs,
  • Engine: 1198cc, three cylinder, DOHC, petrol
  • Power: 68bhp @ 5000 rpm
  • Torque: 104 Nm @ 4000 rpm
  • Fuel efficiency – ARAI: 20.6 kmpl
  • Fuel Tank: 35 liter
  • Boot Space: 265 liter
  • Wheelbase : 2450mm
  • Length x width x height : 3785 x 1635 x 1485 mm
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-375487.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2014 at 16:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks