Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 08:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Honda to launch Freed (MPV) in India by 2016

Honda Car India plans to bring in the next generation of its globally successful MPV Freed, which is expected to be launched in ASEAN markets mid next year, to take on the Innova.

Rumour: Honda to launch Freed (MPV) in India by 2016-2008_honda_freed_01.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/27667072.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th December 2013 at 08:09.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 08:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Honda to launch Freed (MPV) in India by 2016

The Freed looks smaller than the Innova. It appears as though it will not be able to offer the same 8-passenger capacity as the Innova. Isn't this more the size of an Ertiga? A 5+2?

I don't think it will compete with the Innova. Realistically, I think it is aimed at the Ertiga/Enjoy. The Innova is secure - for now.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 09:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The Freed looks smaller than the Innova. It appears as though it will not be able to offer the same 8-passenger capacity as the Innova. Isn't this more the size of an Ertiga? A 5+2?

I don't think it will compete with the Innova. Realistically, I think it is aimed at the Ertiga/Enjoy. The Innova is secure - for now.
+1. It looks more of an Ertiga size; may be it's the angle of the pic. But this does look good - much better than the Mobilio.

By the time these guys bring in an Innova competitor, guess Toyota would have swiped and closed their account for Innova and moved on to a new segment.

All of these guys need to move quicker to dent Toyota.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

This looks to be speculative journalism at its best. They say the Freed is a global car and will be launched in ASEAN markets next year. The fact is, this car is sold in a few Asian markets like Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia etc., and it has been here for a few years already. It's a small Jazz-based MPV, and actually can go against the likes of Ertiga in India, but since they have the Mobilio planned in that space, I don't see a right fit for the Freed.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:45   #5
BHPian

To me it appears that other manufacturers have long given up the fight against Innova. Tata killed Aria by pricing it more than Innova, Mahindra frightened the owners with Xylo looks (no offence to owners), Maruti and Chevy said "Hi Big Brother" with Ertiga and Enjoy. Nissan puts up Evalia and scales it down to Stile for Ashok Leyland.

In the meanwhile, Toyota slowly increases prices and equals or exceeds Aria variant to variant, makes it uglier than Xylo (with current facelift, again no offence to Innova new buyers), and shows the thumps down to competitors and customers.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seems a decent looker. Yes - I think this will be more in the Ertiga category but knowing Honda, I think the space on offer should be surprisingly good. And if they plonk a good (read frugal yet reasonable capable) diesel engine and price sensibly, it could possibly punch above its weight - and eat away at Innova's market share. (I also agree that 'jaw-dropped' look of the Innova - like Jim Carey in The Mask makes it rather ugly. Just my personal opinion and no offence meant)
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:55   #7
BHPian

The sliding rear doors, though very practical for our congested cities, have an image issue in India. If launched, pricing will be key, as it is a size smaller than the Innova, though its wheelbase is only 10 mm less (like the Ertiga) than that of the Innova (2740 vs 2750). It has to be priced fairly competitively and then let the Honda image do the rest. Considering it is made on the Jazz platform and has a light kerb weight (around 1300 kgs only for 1.5 petrol), its fuel efficiency will be similar to that of Ertiga (both petrol & diesel), which is a big plus vis-a-vis the Innova's bigger and thirstier engine.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Suppose this looks like a spruced Jazz, tough for it to compete against Innova but will be a good match to Ertiga. Will be a good fight between the 2. Not quite sure if Enjoy actually falls into this segment.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Don't believe this is coming to India as they have the Mobilio now.
If the next generation Freed is as big as the Innova then maybe ! I have seen the current generation Freed in person and its more like the size of an ertiga.
Speculative journalism i believe.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Freed for sure a segment shorter than Innova seems to be the most handsome of the lot read Ertiga, Enjoy, Evalia.

However its a different thing to compete against the Innova, the market may also shift towards this segment which is a tad smaller than the Innova.

Come to think of it the average number of passengers in such MUVs do not exceed 5 in majority of cases which bring us back to the question of the necessity to have a Innova keeping the cost of ownership in mind.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Come to think of it the average number of passengers in such MUVs do not exceed 5 in majority of cases which bring us back to the question of the necessity to have a Innova keeping the cost of ownership in mind.
True, but remember the Innova is not a favorite of the personal car buying segment, the commercial operators love it because it can seat as many as possible. More over the cost of ownership of the Innova is really low.

I do not think Indians like MPV type of cars, we are a more Sedan/SUV/Crossover buyers. Innova is an exception to the rule. I think the Vezel or a cheaper CRV is more the need of the hour than these type of cars. And sliding doors as some one rightly said is not an appealing thing to a lot of Indians. The Omni ruined it for us.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:28   #12
BHPian

This MPV has good potential in the Indian market, if they give it a good diesel engine(same as in the City/Amaze would do) and price it competitively. Not a direct competition for Innova, but it will steal some customers from the Innova because of many reasons, including the ones below:
1. Many people choose Innova over a sedan for the driving/seating position, the appeal, and that it has some extra space in the cabin compared to sedans. Not everyone is strict on 7/8 seats for adults. 3/4 adults + 2 kids would be equally happy in this MPV as they would be in the Innova. There are many people who love the MPV stance and space and still wish there was a smaller, cheaper version of the Innova.

2. Freed will be priced lower than the Innova(hopefully)

3. It is shorter and lighter than Innova. ( 4215 mm vs 4585 mm 1330kg vs 1680kg approx)

4. Slightly shorter turning radius(read easier in city driving)

5. Good interior space even though the overall length is 350mm lesser than the Innova

6. Expected to be more fuel efficient ( Innova has never been impressive in good in FE, anyway)

For an overall big car feel and ease to drive and handle, I strongly believe the Freed can take away some customers from the Innova, Ertiga, Enjoy, Stile etc and even from many sedans in the price range. But don't know how many will like the quirky design of the dash board in the Freed.
[Based on the info from http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/PDF/freed_catalogue.pdf]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks