Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 13:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai to foray into the growing luxury segment in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Over an equivalent feature-stripped BMW/Audi/Merc diesel is how I would put it.

Of course, I'm not saying all customers would buy Honda over German trio. At least a good fraction might consider features over the brand.
I disagree. A feature stripped BMW is not bare, relatively speaking. And you just can't argue with the brand pull of Germans.
Old 26th December 2013, 20:07   #32
BHPian

Hyundai have certainly upped their game and are steadily moving up the market. Compare their cars from a decade ago to 5 years ago and the present line-up. Its a phenomenal progress. The best part - they know how to price their cars right. I am sure they will do well and even give ze Germans a serious run for their money.
Just to visualize how they have matured, check out how the Accent/Verna has transformed over the years.

Cheers!
Rohan
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Hyundai to foray into the growing luxury segment in India-2000-model.jpg  

Rumour: Hyundai to foray into the growing luxury segment in India-2006-model.jpg  

Rumour: Hyundai to foray into the growing luxury segment in India-2013-model.jpg  

rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 20:32   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There is a reason why the European cars are called 'Prestige Brands' . It stems almost entirely from their proven pedigree, consumer expectations, snob value etc.

Even when one goes to rent a car when travelling abroad, the Euro vehicles command a higher rental premium as well!

It is a fact that neither Honda nor Hyundai either in Petrol or Diesel guise, can command quite the same 'desirability' factor and invoke such deep aspirational cues in consumers minds.

Now, it may be true that the Euro brands are kind of resting on their laurels and the Hyundais and Hondas are upping their game. However, consumer mind sets take a long time to change.
Old 26th December 2013, 20:47   #34
BHPian

European cars have class and timeless design philosophy. Look at the Mercedes from 90s, they age well. No quirkiness. High level of safety, fineness and supreme engineering, defines European cars.

Toyota, suzuki or Hyundai are getting there, but it takes time for the market to accept it.
Hyundai got their fluidic design right, but they age soon. The new Verna in its current form was a head Turner initially, but the charm is lost in couple of years.
Compare that with old octavia, it's the timeless design that I like.
Honda city and Civic (the outgoing models) had timeless design, but the new ones are not the same.
These are my personal opinion, and isn't intended to belittle anyone.
Old 27th December 2013, 00:25   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
European cars have class and timeless design philosophy. Look at the Mercedes from 90s, they age well. No quirkiness. High level of safety, fineness and supreme engineeri....... with old octavia, it's the timeless design that I like.
I bought some old mag from Landmark which is all about used Mercedes cars. The sheer solidity of the '90's Mercs is of a completely different order indeed.
The old 90's Beemers are so strong that they look as good as new 20 years down the line!
By contrast, the Hyundais and Hondas do not age anywhere near as well. They look rather 'long in the tooth' very quickly.
Even today, looking at a 10 year old Octy, my head turns, because it has that indefinable air of solidity and class about it.
Old 25th January 2014, 17:40   #36
BANNED

It's always tougher for a brand that's been playing in the affordable value segment to make the journey upwards to luxury.
Just see what happened to the Kizashi.
Consumers buy cars not only with their minds but their hearts too.
A luxury segment Hyundai will always fall at the last fence to the superior appeal if the euro and even Japanese luxe.
Old 12th February 2014, 17:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai begins testing the Genesis testing in China, Is India the next destination?

Rumour: Hyundai to foray into the growing luxury segment in India-hyundaigenesischina11.jpg

Cheers!

Source:Carnewschina
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 12:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Genesis likely to be brought in as a CBU unit and will be launched with a 3.8-litre V6 engine here.

Quote:
The 3.8-litre variant also comes with an optional all-wheel-drive system. Apart from standard equipment you can expect in a luxury sedan, the Hyundai Genesis also offers a large 9.2-inch high definition touchscreen interface and a 17-speaker Lexicon audio setup. Also, at 4,990mm in length, the Genesis is slightly longer than the Mercedes E-class.
Quote:
Hyundai is expected to launch the 3.8-litre variant here at an estimated price-tag of Rs 45 lakh
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-381850.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 14:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

There story becomes dead as soon as it is a CBU. There is no CBU in India in the sub 60 lakh segment that has even been remotely successful as the price to value ratio never matches. With all the taxes, these every CBU becomes a pricing disaster.

Hyundai should avoid the attempt. At max, these launches can test market response for the car overall and how people perceive an expensive product from a mass segment company.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks