Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2013, 12:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Aah! Just when I thought Wagon R / Sting Ray can be the end of bad design... Kia beats them hands down with this model!
No car model is perfect but people are willing to compromise/overlook some of the bad bits for some of the other benefits that they get. If a competitor fails to understand why people buy a Wagon R and tries to put together a model that shares all its negatives but lacks the positive aspects of the successful model, it'll be interesting to see how the public would 'welcome' such a model.

Quote:
Am I the only one who feel that Hyundai is squarely aiming at Maruti's share? If I see the focus on the recent launches, it does point to it. Be the Grand i10 or keeping all previous gen models side by side with the newer gen versions or launching products mainly where Maruti is extremely strong (read as Grand i10 sedan) all leads to this direction.
For any other manufacturer in India, there are 2 big players to compete against - Maruti and Hyundai. Between these guys, they just have themselves to battle against. Others don't have the capacity or network across India to make enough cars to challenge Maruti's or Hyundai's numbers even if they come up with a better product.

Mahindra has cleverly carved out a market for themselves where these two players are not having enough products, experience or strength. They are focusing on that segment primarily and have earned similar trust levels among Indians as Maruti has for small cars. So they are not really a threat mutually till they pit against each other.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 10:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aah! Just when I thought Wagon R / Sting Ray can be the end of bad design... Kia beats them hands down with this model!

Am I the only one who feel that Hyundai is squarely aiming at Maruti's share? If I see the focus on the recent launches, it does point to it. Be the Grand i10 or keeping all previous gen models side by side with the newer gen versions or launching products mainly where Maruti is extremely strong (read as Grand i10 sedan) all leads to this direction.
+1 to that.

Hideous design to say the least.

Only good part I could conclude is the roomy interiors!!
Old 30th December 2013, 15:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai may plonk the 1.1 litre 3 cylinder Grand i10 engine in Santro, if possible.

Would there be any takers for it?
Old 30th December 2013, 17:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Hyundai may plonk the 1.1 litre 3 cylinder Grand i10 engine in Santro, if possible.

Would there be any takers for it?
I would NOT think so. The added cost will be the prime reason. There will be enough changes to be done to plonk this engine on a model which is outdated. Whatever Hyundai is getting off Santro is simply a gain I believe. And I am NOT sure the 3 pot will be as good as the current engine with respect to the low end torque. This is a major grouse with the Wagon R 3 pot compared to the 1.1L engine it had, a generation back.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes - I really don't see this one winning any beauty contest.
Somehow, I was always under the impression that the Eon is a touch smaller than the Santro and hence a bit more cramped. I have never been in an Eon -just from the looks outside.
Old 1st January 2014, 14:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever Hyundai is getting off Santro is simply a gain I believe. And I am NOT sure the 3 pot will be as good as the current engine with respect to the low end torque. This is a major grouse with the Wagon R 3 pot compared to the 1.1L engine it had, a generation back.
Exactly my thought. 15-16 years down the lane it still sells in viable numbers.
Importantly, now a days Santro sells more in towns after the LPG version was introduced.

Wouldnt the Grand i 10 3-pot engine's torque be not enough?

Will it be a worthwhile effort if Hyundai attempts to do it?

Most Viewed