Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 11:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21

I recently bought an XUV through CSD.

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-img_9786.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-img_9790.jpg

Since the day the beast started occupying my garage, I have had many requests and queries regarding the procedure of buying the vehicle through CSD and the contact points.

Considering the facts that XUV 500, being the looker and feature rich as it is, it surely has been an eye candy and part of wish list for many.
I get numerous queries and I do my best part to explain the procedure.
I could quite easily guage that the interest on this vehicle is building and safely presumed that there are many service persons interested in sourcing this vehicle through CSD.
And so, the genesis of this thread.
I hope that this will serve justice to many members and also others who is headlong in search mode.

The most frequently asked questions were:
Who all can buy?
On road price?
How to go about getting sanction for purchase of car from car cell, IHQ?
How much is the waiting time?
Which dealer?
Loans?
DD and Purchase order procedure?
Should I go through an agent?
Isn't this long chain of procedures a bit too tedious?

So, my endeavour would be to cover answers to the best of my knowledge.
Happy reading, and I do sincerely hope that this would be of some help.
dhanushmenon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21

1. Before the wind breaks loose, let's get to one of the favourite questions...
What is the Eligibility to buy cars through CSD?

The following personnel are entitled to buy cars through CSD:-
a) All serving commissioned officers of Army, Navy, Air force, Coast guards and Border Road Organizations.
b) EC Commissioned officers with less than 5 years service with sanction from QMG branch.
c) All retired and released short service commission officers of Army, Navy & Air force those who have completed minimum 5 years of service from the date of commission and availing all other CSD facilities.
d) Equivalent status civilian officers/officers of CSD who are authorized canteen facilities. (In specified regions. Southern states to my knowledge)
e) One of the parents of deceased or missing officers from border [Letter from Govt. of India (Ministry of Defence) is the valid authority in this regard]
f) Widows of defence service officers, who are authorized canteen facilities.
g) All JCOs and PBOR (once in service and once after retirement. 15 yrs service mandatory. Refer para 2 below)
h) Retired officers/ ex-servicemen

2. Question two: What is the permitted periodicity of purchase?

The stipulated time period for purchase of car is as mentioned below :-
(a) Officers (Incl Retd) - 4 yrs and upto 2500CC.
(b) Hony Commissioned JCOs/Eqvlt (Incl Retd) - 7 yrs and upto 1500CC.
(c) JCOs/OR & Eqvl (Incl Retd) - Once in service (minimum 15 yrs service mandatory), once after retirement and upto 1400CC.

3. What is the priority list for grant of special sanction?
Priority for purchase of another car is also taken into account while considering request for grant of spl sanction :-
(a) Priority I - More than 10 yrs ago.
(b) Priority II - Last 5 yrs & upto 10 yrs.
(c) Priority III - Within 5 yrs.
dhanushmenon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Booking and delivery

Booking and delivery
Once the vehicle has reached the dealer from manufacturing yard, you will have to fill in the following and send it across to him (either by courier or by hand):
1) Authorisation letter – authorising the dealer to undertake Temporary Regn (and Pmt regn if the case be) on your behalf
2) Form- 20 (Application for Regn of a new vehicle)
3) If the vehicle is hypothecated to any bank, you need to fill in those relevant application forms too (The dealer will provide all details and forms)

Now that the vehicle has reached your dealer, its time for you to make your visit there and take delivery.
Ideally, the temporary registration of the vehicle has to be done only after you clearing the PDI. However, most service personnel taking delivery wouldn’t have the luxury to do that as the dealer, inmost cases, will be stationed out of your place of posting. As was in my case, I took delivery from Chennai when I was posted 700 Kms away.

There is nothing much to worry as such. You can do the PDI when you reach there to collect the vehicle. Just make sure that any defects/ observations are rectified before you sign on the delivery paper at the dealer.

Procedure for delivery

1) Reach the concerned CSD well in time to process the purchase order. CSD opens at 1000 hrs. Be sure to reach there ideally by 0930
2) Officers and PBORs have different queues.
3) Fill up the relevant form (available at the Depot) and submit it along with the DD, driving license, salary slip, indent form and PAN card. (photographs and Identity card number may also be required)
4) Once the form has been submitted with the DD, you will have to wait for 60-90 minutes till the purchase order is delivered. The time is for consolidating all orders and also for verifying the DD amount & order.
5) Collect the purchase order and you are ready to visit your dealer to take delivery of your dream vehicle.

Note:-
a) Call the dealer immediately after you receive the purchase order and ask time convenient for you to come over to take delivery. It would be better if you could visit the dealer straight away, before lunch time and do PDI.
b) A thorough PDI will take 1- 2 hrs and it is better to do it in broad day light. Also, at noon, traffic will also be kind on you to take it for a spin. The XUV-PDI check off list is attached herewith. The list might require a little bit of tuning up with change of time and features.

XUV500-W8-Checklist-v1.00.xlsx

c) Once the PDI is done, you can ask the dealer to prepare the car for delivery and also give him the list of accessories which you want installed. I would strongly recommend reverse cams and the side foot step if not anything else.

Authorisation letter (for temp regn)

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-autherisation.jpg

Form 20

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-form-20-1.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-form-20-2.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-form-20-3.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-form-20-4.jpg

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 15th January 2014 at 16:38.
dhanushmenon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Registration and other finer elements

Documents required for registration:-
1) Form 20 & chassis impression car with plain paper
2) Form 21( original)
3) Form 22 (original)
4) Temporary form (original)
5) CSD bill (photo copy)
6) Manufacture invoice (photocopy)
7) Dealer invoice (photocopy)
8) Pan card (photocopy)
9) Insurance copy
1 0) Registration add.
11) 3 Photos (I would suggest that you carry atleast 5)
12) Driving License (copy)
13) Address proof (Present address)
14) Adhaar card/ Voter card/ Passport (for photo proof of identity)

Most of the documents will be prepared by the dealer and handed over to you. Need not fret much over it.
Just cross check that all necessary documents are there when he hands over the docket.

Other relevant points to be kept in mind: -

1) Sanction validity is only for 90 days with an extension of one month
2) In case you wish to change the choice of car after obtaining sanction, request to be made to IHQ for the change of vehicle model/ brand. Separate sanction not required.
3) If you can afford the time and effort, it is always better to process the whole buying episode by yourself. Agents eat a lot of money.
4) Haggle hard for insurance (if taking from the agent). Get an online quote for the CSD amount. This will give a rough estimate. You can easily offset atleast Rs 10,000 on this regard.
5) All queries may be
cleared from the car cell on the following telephone numbers:-

(a) Civ - 011-23093572
(b) Civ - 011 23092563

Disclaimer: Everything mentioned in this thread is available on open source internet. I just consolidated the relevant data and put forth for easy reading and reference. I also added a few snippets which I gained from personal experience.
Nothing in this thread has any data which is of classified nature.

Websites for reference:

http://sainikcaroption.com/Eligibility.aspx
http://ex-servicemenwelfare.blogspot...rough-csd.html

Keep revving... But drive safe

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 15th January 2014 at 16:28.
dhanushmenon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

With your permission, allow me to flaunt the beauty for a while

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn7724.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8556.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn7756.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8837.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn7759.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8836.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn7764.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8845.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8558.jpg

Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21-dscn8849.jpg
dhanushmenon is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 15:02   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Older CSD Threads:

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dhanush on acquiring your white beast and thats a very well compiled thread of the process of getting one throught the CSD.

One thing curious to know is that how much did you save outright in cash compared to the same sold in the normal dealership. Must be a significant bit right?

One question though if to ask as I might have missed this, so you are a part of the defence forces right as per at least one of the criterion listed by them right?

All the best and have many safe miles ahead!

Last edited by girishglg : 16th January 2014 at 15:13.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 15:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Congrats Dhanush on acquiring your white beast and thats a very well compiled thread of the process of getting one throught the CSD.

One thing curious to know is that how much did you save outright in cash compared to the same sold in the normal dealership. Must be a significant bit right?

One question though if to ask as I might have missed this, so you are a part of the defence forces right as per at least one of the criterion listed by them right?

All the best and have many safe miles ahead!
For the XUV, through CSD, the ex showroom price difference is close to 1.5 lakhs. The price difference varies for various price segments.
The higher the cost of the vehicle, higher is the price difference.

Therefore, an Eon through CSD will have lesser difference.
Over that, I have also observed that the cars from an Indian manufacturer will have greater price difference. (might not always be true though)

One point to note is that through sales of car through CSD, the manufacturer is not losing much of his profit. It is only some tax benefits which are exempted for Defence personnel which is passed on.

To, answer your second question: Yes, I do qualify for CSD purchase by one of those criterion mentioned above
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 15:58   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your beauty Dhanush!
I was one among the many who had all the mentioned FAQ's on my mind.
Looking at your post on "I booked my car" thread stating your plan for purchase through CSD, I have asked few queries on the process.
Thank you so much for the detailed answers and suggestion that you have shared now.

Wish you happy and safe driving. Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 16:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dhanush - Congrats on your XUV5OO.

Have some questions. Please help with answers for me and for the benefit of other BHPian
  • Should the purchase be in the name of the person associated with defence or could it be in anybody name (even if NOT related). Can i purchase in my name, if my office colleague's father is a retired Army man.
  • Can we avail loan facility. I hear that we should make cash purchases ONLY. Not sure if it is true or a rumour.
  • Can i sell the vehicle to anyone or is there any "lock in" period.
  • Is there a price "Assurance" , even if the price is increased from the day of booking till delivery?
  • In the unlikely event of an accident, assuming the accident is NOT because of our fault, still do we need to wait that 4 years / 7 years period or could we buy another one with some kind of a letter from the department

Last edited by scopriobharath : 16th January 2014 at 16:05.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 17:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Congratulations on your beauty Dhanush!
I was one among the many who had all the mentioned FAQ's on my mind.
Looking at your post on "I booked my car" thread stating your plan for purchase through CSD, I have asked few queries on the process.
Thank you so much for the detailed answers and suggestion that you have shared now.

Wish you happy and safe driving. Cheers!
Thank you for your kind words.
I think this is the post you are referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Can you please help me understand how the offer from CSD works?
My father in law is an ex serviceman, and he was mentioning we don't have to pay tax and he is not sure how much percentage or how this is calculated.
So my questions are what is the percentage of benefit from CSD is that the road tax and registration fees?
Should the car be registered on father in laws name?
If not can the vehicle be registered on my wife's name she holds a smart card / ID card for CSD purchase?

Cheers!
This message from you was not a query to me but was in response to Taureanbull booking a W6.
The vehicle has to be registered in the name of your father in law.
Your wife, who is his dependant cannot buy the car.
Further details are explained below as response to scorpiobharath's query

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi Dhanush - Congrats on your XUV5OO.

Have some questions. Please help with answers for me and for the benefit of other BHPian
  • Should the purchase be in the name of the person associated with defence or could it be in anybody name (even if NOT related). Can i purchase in my name, if my office colleague's father is a retired Army man.
  • Can we avail loan facility. I hear that we should make cash purchases ONLY. Not sure if it is true or a rumour.
  • Can i sell the vehicle to anyone or is there any "lock in" period.
  • Is there a price "Assurance" , even if the price is increased from the day of booking till delivery?
  • In the unlikely event of an accident, assuming the accident is NOT because of our fault, still do we need to wait that 4 years / 7 years period or could we buy another one with some kind of a letter from the department
Let me try and answer your questions one by one:

1) Should the purchase be in the name of the person associated with defence or could it be in anybody name (even if NOT related). Can i purchase in my name, if my office colleague's father is a retired Army man.

Yes. The vehicle should be in the name of the person who is buying it through CSD. Eligility for buying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Eligibility to buy cars through CSD?

The following personnel are entitled to buy cars through CSD:-
a) All serving commissioned officers of Army, Navy, Air force, Coast guards and Border Road Organizations.
b) EC Commissioned officers with less than 5 years service with sanction from QMG branch.
c) All retired and released short service commission officers of Army, Navy & Air force those who have completed minimum 5 years of service from the date of commission and availing all other CSD facilities.
d) Equivalent status civilian officers/officers of CSD who are authorized canteen facilities. (In specified regions. Southern states to my knowledge)
e) One of the parents of deceased or missing officers from border [Letter from Govt. of India (Ministry of Defence) is the valid authority in this regard]
f) Widows of defence service officers, who are authorized canteen facilities.
g) All JCOs and PBOR (once in service and once after retirement. 15 yrs service mandatory. Refer para 2 below)
h) Retired officers/ ex-servicemen
You cannot purchase it in the name of your colleagues father. The vehicle will be billed and registered in the name of the person buying who is eligible as per laid down rules as mentioned above

2) Can we avail loan facility?

You can get loan facility. Most cars which are bought through CSD are bought through loan. When the bank processes the loan, you should tell them that it be so processed so as to enable making a DD from a nationalised bank for the whole amount. You can do two things:
(a) You can either request them to send the amount to your account or
(b) You can pay the remaining amount to the bank and ask them to make a DD for the amount of the car

3) Can i sell the vehicle to anyone or is there any "lock in" period?

You cannot sell the car within two years of purchase. Rather, the ownership cannot change within two years of purchase

4) Is there a price "Assurance" , even if the price is increased from the day of booking till delivery?

There is no price assurance. You will have to pay the amount as on the date of delivery. However, this eventuality of price change does not happen very often. Even if the manufacturer has increased or decreased the price, it will take two weeks- four weeks before it gets listed on the CSD. (One of my colleagues who bought an XUV in Oct 2013 immediately after the Rs 33,000 slash in price of the vehicle, actually got back the money from the dealer to his account subsequently.)
Please note that in case of CSD purchase, you do not pay any money to the dealer except for his handling charges, Temp/ Permanent Regn charges and insurance (if you are sourcing insurance through the dealer itself). The cost of the car is paid directly to Canteen Stores Depot Office. On receipt of cash, the CSD gives a purchase order which is the bill against which the car is delivered to you by the dealer

5) In the unlikely event of an accident, assuming the accident is NOT because of our fault, still do we need to wait that 4 years / 7 years period or could we buy another one with some kind of a letter from the department

In the unlikely event of an accident and the car is totaled beyond repair, I believe the "Car Cell" can give you a special sanction if you provide sufficient documents which supports the fate of your car. I am not sure of this though

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 16th January 2014 at 17:14.
dhanushmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:08   #12
BHPian

Here is a little insight on Finance side of CSD (How the precious greenery is saved for defence personnel):
  • As is already mentioned, CSD eligible people are at the advantage of lower taxes (VAT) with voluntary sharing from manufacturer.
  • 'Voluntary Sharing' part makes Indian cars (Tata/Mahindra) cheaper than those manufactured by foreign companies (Honda, VW, etc). Why? simply because head honchos of these companies feel for their nation and are more upront for the cause of country. I believe the foreign manufaturers must be as forthcoming when it comes to their homelands.
  • So, what are Government directed Savings? I believe CSD vehicles are taxed @3% vis-a-vis 12.5%-15% for private vehicles. So, a saving of 10-12% on VAT alone will translate to a saving of Rs. 1L on a 10L+ vehicle.
  • On top of it, manufacturers contribution is typically in range of 1,000-10,000 for vehicles under 10L.
  • Dealer Margin on these vehicles is also lower which further adds to benefit of CSD people.

Hence, A vehicle costing 10L to a civilian would typically entail a discount of 1L - 1.25L when bought through CSD.

A point to note:
All vehicle invoice through CSD are billed to 'Area Manager CSD - (Personnel Name)' hence any untoward happening like accidents/repossession are only to be executed with prior information to concerned CSD canteen. Therefore, if a vehicle is totalled in an accident, the payments by insurance company only after consultation with CSD. This also helps in procuring new vehicle after having totalled your existing vehicle.
akhilesh51 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Congrats Mr.D, great choice and great car. Thanks for sharing the CSD details.

Will explore the car more on our upcoming drive meet.

Wish you many happy miles ahead.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Here is a little insight on Finance side of CSD (How the precious greenery is saved for defence personnel):
  • As is already mentioned, CSD eligible people are at the advantage of lower taxes (VAT) with voluntary sharing from manufacturer.
  • 'Voluntary Sharing' part makes Indian cars (Tata/Mahindra) cheaper than those manufactured by foreign companies (Honda, VW, etc). Why? simply because head honchos of these companies feel for their nation and are more upront for the cause of country. I believe the foreign manufaturers must be as forthcoming when it comes to their homelands.
  • So, what are Government directed Savings? I believe CSD vehicles are taxed @3% vis-a-vis 12.5%-15% for private vehicles. So, a saving of 10-12% on VAT alone will translate to a saving of Rs. 1L on a 10L+ vehicle.
  • On top of it, manufacturers contribution is typically in range of 1,000-10,000 for vehicles under 10L.
  • Dealer Margin on these vehicles is also lower which further adds to benefit of CSD people.

Hence, A vehicle costing 10L to a civilian would typically entail a discount of 1L - 1.25L when bought through CSD.

A point to note:
All vehicle invoice through CSD are billed to 'Area Manager CSD - (Personnel Name)' hence any untoward happening like accidents/repossession are only to be executed with prior information to concerned CSD canteen. Therefore, if a vehicle is totalled in an accident, the payments by insurance company only after consultation with CSD. This also helps in procuring new vehicle after having totalled your existing vehicle.
Thanks akhilesh. I did not know any of those points elaborated by you. Just knew that it had something to do with tax difference. Thanks for sharing the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Congrats Mr.D, great choice and great car. Thanks for sharing the CSD details.

Will explore the car more on our upcoming drive meet.

Wish you many happy miles ahead.
Thanks vaisakhr.
Next drive meet. Hell Yeah!!!
I am so looking forward to it.
Hope it turns out to be as good as our Munnar drive meet, if not, better!!!
Old 16th January 2014, 20:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That was an impressively well put, concise, as well as informative write-up.

Oh and congratulations on the purchase
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed