Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 21:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised criteria on page 21

Thank You for sharing this very informative article with us Mr. D

I understand all cars available in the market are not available through CSD. Will be great if you can explain why this is so.

PS: And the snaps look great as usual!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 21:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Thank You for sharing this very informative article with us Mr. D

I understand all cars available in the market are not available through CSD. Will be great if you can explain why this is so.

PS: And the snaps look great as usual!
Thanks for the kind words deepak.

All cars which are available in the market are not available through CSD.
This is because a car will get the approval to be enlisted only after it has been deemed successful in the market and also after there is substantial demand for the car through CSD.

The performance of the car through sales is a big factor in this. At the same time, the car also has to be affordable to be bought by a defence person.
For the same reason, high end cars are not available through CSD.
The costliest one as per my knowledge would be the Fortuner.

Even if they introduce higher end cars, these might not find buyers.
On top of that, the manufacturer himself should be interested in enlisting it. I don't think the Mercs, BMWs and Audis would fit in here in the bill.

For success rate, for example, the Skoda Yeti which is an amazing car, is not available through CSD. Where as, the Skoda Octavia, VW Polo, VW Vento etc are available

Generally, for a car to be available through CSD, it takes atleast six months time after launch. Ford Figo was one the cars which made a fast entry into the CSD circle.
Figo was launched in 15 Mar or so of 2010 and it was available through CSD by July 2010. That's four months which is a very fast pace.
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 09:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Dhanush for the car and taking the time to explain the process behind CSD purchase. Some queries

1) Is the procedure same for retired defence personnel?
2) Will the daughter (married off) of a retired personnel be able to purchase through the same process? The reason I ask is because once they are married off they are not dependent right (only till 18 years of age). So guess they cant purchase.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 09:59   #19
BHPian

Thanks dhanushmenon for creating the valuable thread and consolidating all the information here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
All cars which are available in the market are not available through CSD.
This is because a car will get the approval to be enlisted only after it has been deemed successful in the market and also after there is substantial demand for the car through CSD.
We tried to purchase Palio through CSD in 2002 and it was not available during then, but it was later on added once the diesel variant was launched. And the whole process was very cumbersome. I think it is streamlined now.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 11:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats Dhanush for the car and taking the time to explain the process behind CSD purchase. Some queries

1) Is the procedure same for retired defence personnel?
2) Will the daughter (married off) of a retired personnel be able to purchase through the same process? The reason I ask is because once they are married off they are not dependent right (only till 18 years of age). So guess they cant purchase.
Naveen, dependents of personnel (irrespective of their age) who are availing canteen facility is not authorised to buy cars through CSD. It is only the serving person/ ex-serviceman (your father in law in this case) can buy the car. And the car has to be registered in his name too. The ownership of the car cannot be shifted for another two years from the date of purchase.
Eligibility as relevant, is quoted below.
Quote:

Eligibility to buy cars through CSD?

The following personnel are entitled to buy cars through CSD:-
c) All retired and released short service commission officers of Army, Navy & Air force those who have completed minimum 5 years of service from the date of commission and availing all other CSD facilities.
e) One of the parents of deceased or missing officers from border [Letter from Govt. of India (Ministry of Defence) is the valid authority in this regard]
f) Widows of defence service officers, who are authorized canteen facilities.
h) Retired officers/ ex-servicemen
The procedure for ex-servicemen remain almost the same. Small changes here and there as they are not anymore in active service. As soon as a service person retires, all administrative dealings are shifted to 'Zila sainik board' or station ex-service men head quarters

Documents required by Ex- servicemen
  • a. Indent form counter signed by Zila Sainik Board or Station Head Quarter
  • b. Authority Letter form counter signed by Zila Sainik Board or Station Head Quarters
  • c. Pension Pay Order (PPO) in Original & copy of ex-serviceman identity card
  • d. Record of service for EC and Short service Commission Officers
  • e. Discharge book and Pension book for Retd PBOR
  • f. Copy of PAN Card & Canteen SMart Card, ECHS Card & Driving license
  • g. Copy of Address Proof (Any two of the following):
    Electricity Bill / Water Bill / Passport / Ration Card / Voter ID Card
  • h. Three passport photos

I am sorry that I missed out to include the Ex-servicemen documents in the initial report. My bad. Oversight from my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks dhanushmenon for creating the valuable thread and consolidating all the information here.

We tried to purchase Palio through CSD in 2002 and it was not available during then, but it was later on added once the diesel variant was launched. And the whole process was very cumbersome. I think it is streamlined now.
It is pretty streamlined now bejoy.
At the first look, when you look at all the procedures and paperwork involved, it might look a bit tedious. However, when you get your hand on job, you will realise that it is actually very simple.
Half of the things mentioned gets done by itself
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 00:23   #21
BHPian

Dhanush, thanks a lot for putting this all down in b&w. I am yet to avail my CSD facility as am quite vary of the cumbersome process and running around. Your thread certainly motivates me to explore the option and I may finally avail it in the near future.
Old 19th January 2014, 17:10   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I differ here. I bought a Honda Jazz in aug 09 when the car was launched in Jun/Jul 09. By no means was it a success

Quote:
At the same time, the car also has to be affordable to be bought by a defence person.
For the same reason, high end cars are not available through CSD.
The costliest one as per my knowledge would be the Fortuner.
i agree. Also, the fortuner has been discontinued through CSD as there has been a cap introduced on the displacement of the vehicle. it is 2500 cc now (fortuner is 3000cc).

Quote:
On top of that, the manufacturer himself should be interested in enlisting it. I don't think the Mercs, BMWs and Audis would fit in here in the bill.
the primary reason IMHO that can explain why the duster took so long to be available through CSD. Only after the success of ecosport and the relative downtrend in the sales figure did renault inroduce this in CSD. This also explains why ecosport is not going to be introduced in a long long time in CSD. Generally Honda/ Hyundai/ Maruti cars are available the soonest after launch(just an observation, nothing to support this hypothesis) as these are generally most preferred by the 'fauji' clientele.

one more clarification, in case of an accident/ mishap totalling the vehicle, it is THEORETICALLY possible to get a sanction from Civ Cell (Though practically impossible). i have first hand experience of the same.

despite the so called 'streamlining' the entire process (post Jun 11) has only served to increase the role of 'Agents/ Middlemen/ facilitators as it has become a cumbersome process compared to the earlier method. however, the cost difference (approx 1-1.25 lacs) ex showroom makes it worthwhile for somebody not in any inordinate hurry.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 22:24   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhondusaxena View Post
Dhanush, thanks a lot for putting this all down in b&w. I am yet to avail my CSD facility as am quite vary of the cumbersome process and running around. Your thread certainly motivates me to explore the option and I may finally avail it in the near future.
You should buy the car through CSD sir. When you have the eligibility, then why not? The procedure, though looks long, is not cumbersome at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
I differ here. I bought a Honda Jazz in aug 09 when the car was launched in Jun/Jul 09. By no means was it a success
I did not know that Jazz was available so soon in CSD, being launched in June 2009. That was fairly quick. Thanks for the info sir.

There are other cars too which is a market dud but available in canteen. However, all those would be affordable to the pockets (read sub 10 lakhs). A car which is above 10 lak category, which is not a success, getting enlisted in CSD will be an extreme rarity

Quote:
This also explains why ecosport is not going to be introduced in a long long time in CSD.
I had done a little bit of enquiry on the availability of Ecosport through canteen. I was given to understand that the car is not yet listed for the reason that Ford is finding it hard even to cope up with the existing bookings. With waiting period extending anywhere between 9 months to one year, the blue oval has its hands full

Quote:
despite the so called 'streamlining' the entire process (post Jun 11) has only served to increase the role of 'Agents/ Middlemen/ facilitators as it has become a cumbersome process compared to the earlier method. however, the cost difference (approx 1-1.25 lacs) ex showroom makes it worthwhile for somebody not in any inordinate hurry.
Couldn't agree with you more. The agents, middle men and facilitators eat away a lot of money in the name of their service charges and also as commission from insurance companies whose policy they enthrust upon you at a higher price.

That is the reason why I have mentioned in the thread too that these middle men/ agents should be completely done away with. You actually do not need to take this detour. The process is fairly simple when you get to the root of it. Going through agents will save you a maximum of a week to ten days in obtaining sanction from car cell. Other than that, rest of the process will take its own sweet time (or will take as less time as the case may be).

It is a different thing if you cannot go there to collect the vehicle and you are giving him authorisation to take delivery, registration and transport it to your place of posting.
Even in that case, I would still prefer to take a quick few days leave and do PDI to my own satisfaction with eye to details than depend on the agent. An agent will never inspect the car or take care of it as you would've done.

Even if in future something pops up with the car, you wouldn't live with the feeling that "Had I taken the delivery of the car myself, this wouldn't have happened"

Well, yes, in the same breath I would also say that many "faujis" also do not have that eye for detail when it comes to maintaining or taking care of their car.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:22   #24
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase.

I have a small query,

My father is a an ex-service man and he retired at havildar rank, and getting all the CSD facilities. Will he eligible for buying a car through CSD?. Also he don’t have driving license too. Please let me know.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. I have a small query, My father is a an ex-service man and he retired at havildar rank, and getting all the CSD facilities. Will he eligible for buying a car through CSD?. Also he don’t have driving license too. Please let me know.
Your dad can buy a car through CSD with engine capacity less than 1500 cc, once in lifetime after retirement.
Driving license is a must for getting the car registered.
The car can be bought and registered only in his name too.

Therefore, if your dad wants to buy a car through Csd, the first step would be to get a driving license.
Old 21st January 2014, 16:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dhanush,

Thanks for compiling this bro, its a pain to get these details especially once retired. My dad in law had the plan of buying one while we were in Bangalore and we gave up the plan due to so much of ambiguities. Now this looks a lot simpler. However realizing we are eligible only for 1400cc or lower, not helping any upgrades
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hey Dhanush, Thanks for compiling this bro, its a pain to get these details especially once retired. My dad in law had the plan of buying one while we were in Bangalore and we gave up the plan due to so much of ambiguities. Now this looks a lot simpler. However realizing we are eligible only for 1400cc or lower, not helping any upgrades
Ha ha.
Yeah. No more upgrade for you with the fusion and xylos already lined up in your garage
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:14   #28
BHPian

Many thanks for this thread. Clears lot of doubts. Considering that my father after serving 32 years in the Air Force, never bought a car from CSD; now out of service, it's a far cry for us, or at least what it seems.

Even our last car, a TATA Manza in 2011 was bought off the shelf, simply because my father never trusted the CSD. We have heard many horror stories from the early 90's (where issues cropped up, paint chipped, passed on a lemon etc), which had my father, skeptic about the cumbersome process, lack of options and the fact that cars are directly selected by the dealership for the delivery. But I guess, its time to take a plunge when things have moved for better.
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
Many thanks for this thread..... We have heard many horror stories from the early 90's (where issues cropped up, paint chipped, passed on a lemon etc), which had my father, skeptic about the cumbersome process, lack of options and the fact that cars are directly selected by the dealership for the delivery. But I guess, its time to take a plunge when things have moved for better.
I am not aware of the bad lemon stories particular to CSD sales yet. The procedure which Mahindra (atleast) follows is that when you book the vehicle, it is earmarked from the factory itself. Therefore, there is no question of it being weeded out by the dealer.
And this bad lemon story is another reason why one should go himself and accept the vehicle, doing the PDI himself.

I see many people buying cars through CSD and I am sad to say that most of them (almost 80% of them), takes the agent route for car acceptance and delivery.

If you take a few days leave and take the trouble to go and take a PDI yourself, these bad lemons and future blame games can be avoided.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words.
I think this is the post you are referring to:
This message from you was not a query to me but was in response to Taureanbull booking a W6.
Missed out on this one as the post was not quoted and did not follow up the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Here is a little insight on Finance side of CSD (How the precious greenery is saved for defence personnel):
Dealer Margin on these vehicles is also lower which further adds to benefit of CSD people.
Very true. My dealer has refused to give me any discounts whatsoever on the vehicle/insurance. The enquiry was in December when there were decent discounts/offers on XUV. Although he agreed to "consider" discount on accessories.

On further enquiry the dealer mentioned that the dealer commission is lesser by 2% on CSD vehicles than the normal vehicles and hence no offers/discounts on CSD vehicles.

I go by what he has to say. I would like someone to corroborate the same.

@Dhanushmenon : Did you get any discounts? My vehicle delivery is in Feb end/March.

Most Viewed