Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lower priced Cars get luxury features

There is a report in ET today stating that car-makers are adding more and more features to even low end cars in order to boost sales. This is great news for us consumers! They even talk of stuff like electric ORVM being introduced in entry level cars in 2014.
Quote:
With a certain quality standard which is taken as the base line, carmakers are trying to differentiate themselves from the crowd by offering better features. This kind of trickle-down process isn't new, only this time it's happening in cars even lower down the food chain.
The trend is unique to emerging markets such as China, India and Indonesia, unlike the more mature markets of Europe and the US, where people are comfortable with a functional car at the lower end, said experts.
This mirrors the way in which, for instance, smartphones are gaining a wider customer base in India as users seek out better features offered by brands such as Micromax at a lower price than an iPhone or Galaxy S4.
Features such as air conditioning and power steering, optional a decade ago, have become standard in cars today. Now, it's the turn of Bluetooth connectivity, push-button starting, antilock braking systems (ABS) and electrically adjusted outside rear view mirrors to make the migration, thanks to growing R&D capability in India.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28251464.cms

I also wish car-makers would seriously look at raising the bar on the service front and treating India on par with markets like China when it comes to recalls and replacements.

(Mods - I didn't find a thread for this subj' when I searched. Please merge if required)

Last edited by noopster : 4th January 2014 at 19:32. Reason: Added an extract from the article in keeping with fair usage policy
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lower priced Cars get luxury features

That would be a very welcome move. These days features like Electric ORVMs, arm rests, hand rest for the back passengers etc are no longer exclusive luxury features. More so because unlike ICE and alloys, some of these features cannot be added aftermarket.

I would be more happy if they take or forced to take a similar approach with safety features too. No reason why they can't or shouldn't offer ABS atleast even in entry level cars.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would be more happy if they take or forced to take a similar approach with safety features too. No reason why they can't or shouldn't offer ABS atleast even in entry level cars.
True. In fact the article talks about this very point, stating that the next big change will take place in areas like safety.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
That would be a very welcome move. These days features like Electric ORVMs, arm rests, hand rest for the back passengers etc are no longer exclusive luxury features. More so because unlike ICE and alloys, some of these features cannot be added aftermarket.

+1 to that.

Some basic safety features should be a given for all manufacturers and I strongly feel that the Govt. should intervene and make some of these safety features mandatory for all manufacturers:

- Rear Wiper(for hatch backs). Rear demister could be skipped for the entry level but the wiper is an absolute must especially for the rains.
- ABS(all segments)
- EBD(all segments)
- Autolocking and unlocking doors
- Atleast a manually operated ORVM. Electric options for higher versions.
- Rear Fog light. Front fog lamp could again be for the higher versions.

My 0.2$ on this

Last edited by arnabchak : 2nd January 2014 at 10:40.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:50   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2014 at 15:22.
antariksh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
There is a report in ET today stating that car-makers are adding more and more features to even low end cars in order to boost sales. This is great news for us consumers! They even talk of stuff like electric ORVM being introduced in entry level cars in 2014.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28251464.cms

I also wish car-makers would seriously look at raising the bar on the service front and treating India on par with markets like China when it comes to recalls and replacements.

(Mods - I didn't find a thread for this subj' when I searched. Please merge if required)
We've had this (in bold) talk earlier in a thread (I guess about Skoda/VW).
This will happen only if a sense of discipline is instilled. And that can happen only if there are some class action suits - where severely heavy penalties are levied on the sellers/manufacturers. (So that they don't bank on the opportunity cost factor).

Sorry, this can happen only if we have a working judiciary. Which isn't the case in India.

Another alternative is a strong govt quite independent of the corporate sector (doesn't happen even in the developed nations), and thus doesn't pander to the wishes of the sellers/manufacturers and makes regulations and laws which are pro-people.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd January 2014 at 10:56.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
There is a report in ET today stating that car-makers are adding more and more features to even low end cars in order to boost sales.

Well safety features (ABS & airbags) should be on the priority list.

Other good to have features are all available as after market additions.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Typo
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

- Rear Wiper(for hatch backs). Rear demister could be skipped for the entry level but the wiper is an absolute must especially for the rains.

I think a lot depends on where you live and drive. For instance being in Delhi I have never felt the use for rear wiper much but a rear defogger is an absolute must. In early winter morning or during rains the rear window gets foggy and its absolutely impossible to have any useful rear visibility.

Fogs again are equally useful in the front in dense fog conditions that prevail in the north.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Most welcome - perfectly localized to our country needs!

Lets give credit to Hyundai here - they are pioneers here. I remember, they offered ABS as optional right from 2003/2004 on the Santro for 20K extra (across all variants too!).
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Most welcome - perfectly localized to our country needs!

Lets give credit to Hyundai here - they are pioneers here. I remember, they offered ABS as optional right from 2003/2004 on the Santro for 20K extra (across all variants too!).
+1. Hyundai has always been very forthcoming and aggressive in offering the latest equipment in there cars. Apart from the ABS you mention, Hyundai was probably the first one to offer power windows in Santro way back in 2002. Again they created segment standards with the amount of equipment they put on both I20 and Fluidic Verna.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Whats WRONG with this car industry! Instead of offering something additional & adding value, they're slashing prices (by compromising features) Left-right & center!!! Has the industry forgotten they're in a business where people deeply value the final product!? ...

At MOST, we want MORE for the same price! Not MUCH less at a slightly less price!

Give us stock Sat-Nav, Add the Cruise Control Feature, Add leather seats, 'Awesomise' the Service experience. Make owning a car a comfort worth indulging. I'm no expert and YET I listed these down, these guys have Market Research, R&D Resources in Expertise and what further not!

IMHO Shows how non-imaginative the Auto-industry has been rendered.
Good to know someone IS reading our appeals/demands and implementing them.

As coffee at Coffee Day often tastes as good as at Starbucks, a low priced car shouldn't necessarily mean fewer features. Especially when it comes to safety features.

Other than safety features or basic creature comforts, there are many other aspects that add to a products Brand Value. Even auto brands should grow & evolve over time, not only the features of their cars. Atleast the leading automakers have a history (like how Maruti brought passenger cars to the mass market with the M800), some even have a higher purpose (like Tata spends on CSR with a concept of "Nation Building" etc).

Safety is of massive importance, this is sort-of a revolution after companies got cars to the mass market. Hope the companies keep searching different ways to touch the lives of its consumers with better products.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 2nd January 2014 at 14:00.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Lets give credit to Hyundai here - they are pioneers here.
Absolutely! Hyundai has to credited for squeezing a lot of equipment into their cars, some of them being segment firsts.

- 6 airbags, reversing camera, keyless entry and go, electrically folding ORVMs in the Verna.
- 6 airbags, rear disc brakes, optional satellite navigation system, auto dimming IRVM, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, electric ORVMs, 6-speed manual transmission in the i20.
- Rear AC vents in the Grand i10.
- Sunroof in the i10.

Rival manufacturers still don't seem to care!

Priority however has to be given for safety features over the rest. For instance, the Alto 800 has an optional driver side airbag (K10 has none btw) and the Eon offers it for the top-end Sportz variant. I say, make it mandatory across all the variants and promote the feature aggressively. The initial expenditure would be significantly higher and the part replacements are going to be expensive but it can mean a difference between life and death.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lower priced Cars get luxury features

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
+1 to that.

Some basic safety features should be a given for all manufacturers and I strongly feel that the Govt. should intervene and make some of these safety features mandatory for all manufacturers:

- ABS(all segments)
- EBD(all segments)
- Autolocking and unlocking doors
- Atleast a manually operated ORVM. Electric options for higher versions.

My 0.2$ on this
Rear demister along with wiper are a must in India because of the rainy and foggy conditions.

Rear fog lamp/light is also a must for the same reason as above, rainy and foggy conditions in India.

Auto locking and unlocking is one feature I can live without in a car.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:58   #14
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I hope whatever is said in the article becomes a reality soon. My 4yr old Swift base variant didn't even come with a ORVM on the left. Infact just yesterday i drove a friend's Brio which was the base variant.
What i found shocking was that there is no joystick to adjust the mirrors from the inside. You have to first roll down the windows & adjust it, while this is possible on the right how is one supposed to do so on the left! I was surprised considering the base variant comes with front power windows.
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its high time when ARAI (or the right authority) mandates certain minimum features when it comes to safety.

In the US, about 10 yrs ago, you couldnt sell a car without airbags. I remember a buddy's Accent which diddt have power windows, but it had airbags! Probably had ABS as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks