Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 11:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Audi India becomes first luxury brand to sell more than 10,000 cars in a year

German auto major, Audi has set a new record for luxury car manufacturers in India by selling more than 10,000 cars in a calender year. In the process, it has dethroned BMW as the most popular luxury car brand in the country.

Audi managed to sell a total of 10,002 units sold between January and December, 2013, compared to 9,003 units which it sold during the same period in 2012, reflecting a growth of 11 %.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2014 at 11:13.
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi India becomes first luxury brand to sell more than 10,000 cars in a year

Imagine how much Audi is raking up in service bills! A friend just availed the first service for his A6. The bill? A cool 35 grand (after negotiations). And it didn't even include interior cleaning.

You buy an Audi because usually they have the best deals from amongst the European trio. However, AFAIK Audis are the most expensive to own and maintain. BMW comes second and Mercedes is cheaper than both.

Anyway, 10000+ cars is a big deal. Kudos!
9thsphinx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi India becomes first luxury brand to sell more than 10,000 cars in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
German auto major, Audi has set a new record for luxury car manufacturers in India by selling more than 10,000 cars in a calender year. In the process, it has dethroned BMW as the most popular luxury car brand in the country.

Audi managed to sell a total of 10,002 units sold between January and December, 2013, compared to 9,003 units which it sold during the same period in 2012, reflecting a growth of 11 %.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Looks like they flooded the dealers with 2013 stock just to reach the mark.

9003 last year and 10002 this year clearly indicates that reaching the milestone at any cost is where their priorities lie. Most manufacturers slow down the production in December to help the dealers but Audi seems to be too worried about this number to do such things. Now it is the headache of the dealers to give heavy discounts and get these cars out of their yard.

BTW, they should thank Reliance too for this number since one of these cars was a result of the AM crash.

Last edited by zenren : 6th January 2014 at 11:46.
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Looks like they flooded the dealers with 2013 stock just to reach the mark.

9003 last year and 10002 this year clearly indicates that reaching the milestone at any cost is where their priorities lie. Most manufacturers slow down the production in December to help the dealers but Audi seems to be too worried about this number to do such things. Now it is the headache of the dealers to give heavy discounts and get these cars out of their yard.

BTW, they should thank Reliance too for this number since one of these cars was a result of the AM crash.
But the Article says that they have a waiting list and they offered price protection as well. It's not just offloading to dealers.

Maybe you didn't read the entire article?
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:49   #5
BHPian

First of all congrats to Audi. I am not a big fan of Audi/VW group, but the aggression shown in sales and model launches are highly appreciable. But more surprising is that no one is talking about BMW now a days. Till last year it was always BMW v/s Audi or BMW v/s Merc. Now it is turning out to be only Audi v/s Merc in all media.
The best part is BMW will fight back, at least I hope so
RakishRam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:06   #6
BHPian

Good numbers.

What is the average maintenance cost of say the

Audi Q3 compared to the BMW X3 for 5 years. And for 10 years?
Old 6th January 2014, 12:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
But the Article says that they have a waiting list and they offered price protection as well. It's not just offloading to dealers.

Maybe you didn't read the entire article?
I had read the news earlier today elsewhere which didn't mention about the waiting period and high demand part. It just mentioned the numbers as dealer shipments. Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, 10002 from Audi could mean full output at current capacity. Mercedes Benz sales figures are at 9003 for 2013 which might also be full capacity. Looks like we'll see a shift towards the luxury segment in 2014 if the trio increase their capacity.

Last edited by zenren : 6th January 2014 at 12:23.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Imagine how much Audi is raking up in service bills! A friend just availed the first service for his A6. The bill? A cool 35 grand (after negotiations). And it didn't even include interior cleaning.
In short, A LOT !

Called Audi Mumbai West on 22nd December 2013 to register a service appointment for the first week of Jan (car's yearly service is in Jan) and they couldnt give me an appointment before 19th January. Fully booked !

This the case when there are now 3 Audi dealers within Greater Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
You buy an Audi because usually they have the best deals from amongst the European trio. However, AFAIK Audis are the most expensive to own and maintain. BMW comes second and Mercedes is cheaper than both.

Anyway, 10000+ cars is a big deal. Kudos!
How about, you buy an Audi because you love Audis maybe ??
I hope there isn't a rule to only love the other 2 Germans ??

Also where did you get the most expensive to own idea ?
I compared my service bills with friends with Mercs/BMWs in the last 2 years (standard vs standard service) & what i noticed is Audi and BMW are more or less on par & Merc is noticeably more expensive. ( A4 vs 3 vs C )

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 6th January 2014 at 12:34.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Merc is the most expensive to maintain, followed by Audi and then BMW. Thats what I have learnt after consulting my friends who own the above mentioned brands. Of course seperately

Not sure about the price protection part though. I was told to make full payment , just in case to avoid further hassles. And yes there's a waiting period since the new chestnut brown interiors have come in.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:28   #10
BHPian

It is so good to see Audi taking the lead now and breaking the magical five figure mark. Since I own an A6 and also a B class I can surely say the ownership experience of Audi is way better than the Merc atleast in Coimbatore. Audi have been the aggressors over the past couple of years. But I think Merc might take the lead this year with their new aggressive product launches. BMW is no longer in the news but I truly wish to be proved wrong.
surgvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
In short, A LOT !

Called Audi Mumbai West on 22nd December 2013 to register a service appointment for the first week of Jan (car's yearly service is in Jan) and they couldnt give me an appointment before 19th January. Fully booked !

This the case when there are now 3 Audi dealers within Greater Bombay.
Try Audi Mumbai South. Their workshop is in Sewri which is a bit far but their staff is very good, most being ex-BMW. Very professional approach.

Audi Mumbai West workshop is closer to me but I still use South for all my work. They have often accommodated me on a short notice too. Sending the RS5 to them for first service this month end.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The article claims that Audi has dethroned BMW from the number one position. But at then end of the article its mentioned that BMW has yet not shared its numbers. Then how did you arrive at this conclusion? Also I would take that claim of booking 1300+ cars in December and waiting period with a pinch of salt.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:57   #13
BHPian

Focus of after-sales is a good point which I see. I like Audi more than BMW OR STAR. I find it to be a flamboyant brand, call it transporter effect or my TD experience and sheer presentation skills of sales person who made it point to get the Petrol A4 to office at short notice.

Merc staggering 32% growth ...wow.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The article claims that Audi has dethroned BMW from the number one position. But at then end of the article its mentioned that BMW has yet not shared its numbers. Then how did you arrive at this conclusion?
Today, we are going by figures that are available. BMW is welcome to share its sales figures with us if they want to. No one's stopping it.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Try Audi Mumbai South. Their workshop is in Sewri which is a bit far but their staff is very good, most being ex-BMW. Very professional approach.

Audi Mumbai West workshop is closer to me but I still use South for all my work. They have often accommodated me on a short notice too. Sending the RS5 to them for first service this month end.
Already got an appointment for the 19th bro.
You've told me your Mumbai South experience has been good, but the only reason I'm not bothering to sway from Mumbai west (yet) is since they've been good to me for all my 4 years of ownership. Hassle free in short.
Yes, one always needs to call them well in advance to get an appointment of choice but i thought that might go down once more dealerships open. Surprisingly they were still booked out for weeks.
I also have managed to know a few service advisers at Mumbai west quite well being associated with them for a few years now so though i thought of trying out Mumbai south, i resisted it simply since things are fine at Mumbai west.
Oh and of course, the distance....Sewri !

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2014 at 15:12.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed