Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
As I posted, it's the shades than perspective! These DO look good! May be a set of chunkier tyres could take it to next level.
Absolutely agree with you. A set of chunkier tyres can make a huge difference and make the car look like a real beast.

Quote:
For them what is visible matters more. While the above pieces of mechanicals could be superior to the competition, it would NOT make much of a difference to the common buyers - NOT even the engine rating or the high NVH (which Honda got away with).
Well, this forum is not supposedly for common buyers.

Quote:
I still believe a redesign of the dash can bring in much wanted volumes for these cars rather than the external add ons.
Wholeheartedly agree with you.

Last edited by subratasenn : 9th January 2014 at 12:22.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 13:40   #32
BHPian

I wonder what's going wrong with Toyota's design team in india? The Etios twins themselves never looked good from any angle.Then came the hideous 2013 Innova facelift ("Horror Edition")! Now to top it all, they are planning to launch this ugly cross version. Why don't they just give up this liva model altogether and bring an all new hatch to india? When can we see cars like Yaris and Urban Cruiser here?
Old 9th January 2014, 22:21   #33
BHPian

Hideous! Beats me to understand why would one want this or even the Polo crossover.

Some time back Ford came out with their (Con)Fusion and I guess that one did not do any good to the fortunes of the company in India.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:57   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyota knows all too well, especially after the flop Polo / Fabia cross variants, that these kind of cars don't sell well in India.

The timing (right before the Auto Expo) is a giveaway behind the purpose of the Etios Cross = To add some newness to their Auto Expo stall. Else, the display will look like any other Toyota showroom. Won't be surprised if it's discontinued after the initial production run.

Remember, Toyota Japan isn't excited about the Indian market (link). Except for the next-gen Altis, there isn't anything happening right now. The next-gen Innova & Etios-based SUV are far away from a launch date.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota Japan isn't excited about the Indian market (link).
That's what I keep thinking. Their main market is the Gulf and the United States.Even if the sales of the Fortuner and Innova are very good for us it is not good enough for Toyota.

We keep thinking why is Toyota not upgrading the engine on the Innova or giving a 4x4 automatic Fortuner. And then we say "at least I would buy it then". But then why will Toyota put in so much for small market like us?
Old 10th January 2014, 23:41   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Some how i liked the cross. May be am an Etios owner so a bit biased. But i cant ignore the practical nature of the car and the fuss free Toyota Ownership. Actually i do quite a bit of long drives and the main concern with my Etios is the ground clearance in real bad roads. So after a few years i was thinking if i change the Etios i will switch over to Ecosports but the the Liva cross looks another option. Definitely there's no comparison between Liva cross and Ecosports and the Ford looks miles ahead from this out dated Toyota. But considering the maintenance cost and fuss free ownership due to the Toyota reliability this car do beg for a consideration.But i sincerely hope the Ecosports will be equally reliable and low on maintance on the long run. I constantly keep an eye on the Teab Bhp Ecosports ownership reports. Now the only deciding factor for me will be the ground clearance. From the pics the cars looks to have around 200mm ground clearance. Am waiting for a confirmed news on that. With 200mm ground clearance this can be a nice hatch used for touring purpose considering its reliability. Just saw a detailed video of the Etios Liva cross on youtube. Am sharing the links over here. The speedometer console still remains in the center with some minor changes in the dashboard.

Last edited by Samba : 10th January 2014 at 23:44.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 00:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
All of a sudden, Verito Vibe looks so much better! Toyota, please don't bother about launching this car in India.
Agree.

Vibe as a Cross-Over with the required makeup would have been better in the Mahindra Stable rather than a Hatchback.
Old 11th January 2014, 01:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

It really looks much better than an Etios. I think Toyota are in the right direction with this one. Remove few garish stuff from this car (I want to call it facelift ), give it nice interiors. There is no reason why it shouldn't sell.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 18:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

More details surface.

Quote:
The Toyota Etios Cross would come with plastic body cladding, faux skid plats, new design alloy wheels and roof rails.
The Toyota Etios Cross will sport a full black interior to complement the rugged exterior. It may be noted that this change is one of the few steps that Toyota has undertaken to make the insides of the Etios more exciting. The seats will come clad in black fabric, with ‘Etios Cross’ embossed on them.

The petrol variant will come with V trim and will boast of many upmarket features like Dual Airbags, integrated audio system with Bluetooth connectivity, et al.

Length x Width x Height now stands at 3895 mm X 1735 mm X 1555 mm, compared to 3775 mm x 1695 mm x 1510 mm for the regular variants.The new design alloy wheels will come shod with 180/60 R15 spec tires.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/toyota...urface-online/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 19:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
180/60 R15
That's a tyre size I'm hearing for the first time. Which manufacturer makes this size?
Old 12th January 2014, 20:11   #41
BHPian

It looks to me the design engineer zoomed a Liva on his laptop screen and shouted Eureka Eureka.... we have a Liva Cross.

Though I own an Etios, however good and practical it is, it hardly sells! If you take out the yellow board folks, its way below what Toyota would have expected.

I sincerely hoped that T folks would have learned from their Etios fiasco and would set things right in the future. But it looks all they are interested is getting a model out in that segment. Disappointed a lot
Old 13th January 2014, 15:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Remember, Toyota Japan isn't excited about the Indian market (link). Except for the next-gen Altis, there isn't anything happening right now. The next-gen Innova & Etios-based SUV are far away from a launch date.
Now thats news to me. I only hope it doesn't have a trickle down effect on their aftersales/customer service.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more details on the Indian launch,

Firstly, the car will have a full black glossy finish interior which will complement the rugged exterior.
The seats will be fabric with ‘Etios Cross’ badges to give a more upmarket feel to the car since it will compete against the European Duster, Fiats new Punto Adventure, cross Polo and the Ford Ecosport.

Quote:
The bad news is the engines will be the same as the Etios Liva with no modifications. The petrol engine is 1.2 liter motor with 80 PS and 104 Nm of torque whereas the diesel mill is also same 1.3 liter motor that produces 68 PS with 170 Nm of torque.
The petrol variant will be named “V” and it will have many features as standard. These features include Dual Airbags, integrated audio system with Bluetooth connectivity. On the exterior side there will be badges of Etios Cross on side cladding and on rear boot lid.

Quote:
The company plans to launch this vehicle in the 2014 Auto Expo next month and a price of around INR 50,000 – 80,000 more over the top end variant is expected for the Etios Cross.
http://www.autocolumn.com/2014/01/de...-cross-emerge/

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th January 2014 at 13:11.
Old 15th January 2014, 16:09   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Few more details on the Indian launch,

Firstly, the car will have a full black glossy finish interior which will complement the rugged exterior.
The seats will be fabric with ‘Etios Cross’ badges to give a more upmarket feel to the car since it will compete against the European Duster, Fiats new Punto Adventure, cross Polo and the Ford Ecosport...
What is the 50K premium for? The claddings? I seriously doubt anybody is going to pay that kind of a premium just for the looks! The features mentioned are already a part of the top end Liva I believe.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

This still shows what most companies think of Indian markets. My writing is never about offending a brand or its owners, its about making sure the Indian market isn't as mute as they want it to be. What is the purpose of making such a hatchback? It's as predictable as it gets > put plastic skirts all around, put dual luggage roof bars on top and call it Cross. What do you mean Cross? I shudder to imagine a Polo/Etios Cross on an actual rocky terrain navigating streams and inclines. They are not built for that, and any car with 165mm^ is capable of handling small stones/slush for a small distance if you want practicality. Changing the front and rear body-colored bumpers with plastic-finish skirt bumpers, and a change in fabric color hardly costs anything, a price of 50-60k additional for roof-rails and side skirts seem too much.

Etios never got the build quality right from the word get-go, it may have a good reliable engine but the way the car is put-together, use of flimsy sheet metal, very poor sound-dampening (its kerb-weight of 890-910 kg for petrol Liva is proof) and a boot capacity on the lower end even by hatch standards 251 litres. Again see where I'm getting at, the car may be fine for city use but portraying it as a rugged Cross is anything but the fact. First get the build quality, interior plastics, interior layout, sound-proofing correct. Upgrading tyres on the existing setup is a joke. This is the car I know the owner telling me that its side view mirror fell off after a minor hit. Re-work the entire car then get back to 'Cross'ing.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks