Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014

Mod Note: This thread is now closed. Please continue the discussion in the new thread here : Link

Quote:
In a move that should add pizzazz to the Etios brand, Toyota will display the Etios Cross at the upcoming Auto Expo in Noida. Toyota is already testing the car in India and it is expected to go on soon after the Auto Expo. Revealed in Brazil in November 2013, the Etios Cross is basically a sturdier and more rugged looking version of the Etios Liva hatchback – a car that hasn’t exactly set the sales charts on fire. Toyota hopes that the Cross will inject some appeal to what is perceived as a plain-Jane hatchback.
Will this really help them "liven" up the Liva brand? I don't think so. I think they would need a complete revamp of their existing designs across the sedan / hatchback

Article Source - Autocar India Link
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014-etios-cross.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2014 at 23:58. Reason: Adding a closing note for this thread. Thanks.
rshanker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Will this really help them "liven" up the Liva brand? I don't think so. I think they would need a complete revamp of their existing designs across the sedan / hatchback

Wow, this is a perfect fit for a new entry to our Weird & Wacky thread!

Actually, some of the cars that are already there look beautiful now.

EDIT: typo in title - it should be 2014
zenren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014

Many people buy new car and put months of effort to make it weird/wacky!!. Toyota decided to help this community by launching a car which needs no modification to make it weird and wacky.

Drive straight from factory to our weird and wacky thread.

Front grill area looks awful!

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2014 at 14:47. Reason: Typos
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow ... first Polo cross and now Etios cross. So for manufacturers point of view, cross means adding plastic to the car?? Polo also looked awkward and now this. What these manufacturers thinks of Indian customers? I am sure this is going to be a big big flop like Polo cross. Just adding plastic and calling it by different name will not increase sales.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why is Toyota planning to launch such an unimpressive looking (don't want to hurt anyone's feelings) vehicle in India especially when the market is maturing and demanding better on all fronts? Gone are the days when any hotchpotch design from a big name would sell volumes. They should take a leaf out of Ford & Hyundai's book.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this could look good in specific colors. NOT with the orange sporting here though. The yellow one looks better. But I may still NOT touch one.

Quote:

The actual change needs to go in the interiors. This car can very well sell if they take care of that one factor!! It looks as good or as bad as many other competitors, it's the interior where this car takes the prize for the worst!

Quote:
MODS - volkman already has a thread in the International section for the Etios Cross. Request you to merge with the updates from zenren.
Since this is for India Auto Expo, this could stay here itself I believe.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:46   #7
gemi_kk

I would say, the Idea is not Bad, but i want the following changes to be incorporated. If not, i see no point in launching it.
- Remove the console from center.
- Up the quality levels from current bare bone interiors.
- Improve under thigh support in both front and rear seats.
- Reduce Noise levels.
- Avoid dark interiors.
- Give some curves to the body panels. Go fluidic, which looks good.
- Be on diet. Would love to see a VGT.

When Dzire was launched, everyone hated it. Because, it was just a boot added to swift. Everyone agrees that it is not good at handling. But, this one car rocked the market. It was one car, which had a huge waiting list, which lasted couple of years. Based on looks, we cannot predict how it would be received by masses. Its the sheer package, which would be considered.
If Dzire could be termed as a successful model, May be Toyota has a winner in their hands, if they could fix up all so called cosmetic complaints.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 6th January 2014 at 15:52. Reason: Adding my opinion.
  (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Purely looks like after market job done by nukkad wala accessory shop.

C'mon Toyota, you can still do better. I initially thought they presenting something on lines of Palio Adventure. God knows who will fill in the gap after Adventure demise.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:20   #9

Some more pics from IndianAutosBlog.com
Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014-06toyota1.jpg

Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014-06toyota2.jpg

Toyota Etios Cross to be launched at Auto Expo 2014-06toyota5.jpg
Prinz_500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 16:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Non-body-coloured bumpers - people hate it.
Non-body-coloured bumpers and add a cross to the name - Miracle! Everybody loves it! Are the companies seriously expecting this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Why is Toyota planning to launch such an unimpressive looking (don't want to hurt anyone's feelings)
If anyone had their feelings hurt with that line, I would say they probably have to get accustomed to it sooner or later anyway!

On second thoughts, this can be a scarecrow for the Toyota area in the Auto Expo
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 00:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Firstly the Etios twins are by themselves not very impressive looking, to top it this one seems like putting lipstick on an already ugly duckling.

Given that Toyotas believe function over form, adding a cladding kit will not serve either purposes.

One good example of a factory kitted car was the Fiat Adventure which showed how it has to be done up but sadly was from a manufacturer who was going down under.

The first impression of this modded Liva seemed a straight copy from the Fiat and a badly done job at that.

Toyota please dont bring it, infact reskin the donor car itself to look better firstly.especially the Liva which seems to be the sedan who rear was run over and chopped by a speeding train!

Last edited by girishglg : 7th January 2014 at 00:47.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 09:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

First it was that gawky Innova Chrome edition and now this monstrosity. The Polo Cross is not doing that great apparently so why bring in competition? Toyota must be studying Maruti's book on "How to cosmetically destroy a car and call it Limited". Atleast, I hope the Etios Cross comes with a Limited badge!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 09:55   #13
BHPian

Looks horribly overdone. It should be named Etios 'Crass' !!
Old 7th January 2014, 10:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I would say, the Idea is not Bad, but i want the following changes to be incorporated. If not, i see no point in launching it.
- Remove the console from center.
- Reduce Noise levels.
- Avoid dark interiors.
- Give some curves to the body panels. Go fluidic, which looks good.
- Be on diet. Would love to see a VGT.
Most of the common complaints have been addressed by Etios since it launched its new model in end-2012. The centre console remains where it is, though it's less of an eye-sore now with backlit blue design, instead of the original white. For those who have not seen the car, here is the list:

Done. Previously it was only the G variant in diesel, now all models are available.This has solved the issue.

Done. Not only that the driver's seat gets height adjustment feature. The headrests are adjustable too.

- Reduce Noise levels.
Done. The new Etios/Liva is not noisy. It's definitely less noisy than the Amaze iDtec. A friend of mine who has shifted from a diesel Swift to a new Liva diesel claims that the NVH in Liva is as good as the Swift, if not less.

- Avoid dark interiors.
The new model does not have dark interiors. The black and grey has changed to grey and beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
On second thoughts, this can be a scarecrow for the Toyota area in the Auto Expo
Simply loved your comment. Taking a cue from you Toyota should seriously consider farmers all over the country as a potential customer of this new vehicle.

Last edited by subratasenn : 7th January 2014 at 10:15.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:10   #15
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post

Done. Previously it was only the G variant in diesel, now all models are available.This has solved the issue.

Done. Not only that the driver's seat gets height adjustment feature. The headrests are adjustable too.

- Reduce Noise levels.
Done. The new Etios/Liva is not noisy. It's definitely less noisy than the Amaze iDtec. A friend of mine who has shifted from a diesel Swift to a new Liva diesel claims that the NVH in Liva is as good as the Swift, if not less.

- Avoid dark interiors.
The new model does not have dark interiors. The black and grey has changed to grey and beige.
Agreed!
Toyota really tried to fix this car, but no where close to the industry standard. (Swift).

If Toyota really has really addressed all these, then why it is still under the industry Bench mark? (Swift) I also agree that there is a significant price difference between both.

If they couldn't upgrade it to the levels of benchmark, then there is no point in upgrading it. I wouldn't mind if they up the price by 20-30K but I want it to give the premium feel of/like swift.

Well, undeniably i agree that, the whole Etios/Liva package is excellent for the price, but somehow, i don't feel like buying it. I always think of negatives of this. May be because, it misses the industry standard by a mile, when it comes to interior quality. Some of the points which i didn't liked in these are
- The thick cushion under carpets. Ugly.
- The thin profile seats, (first gen ones). Even the new beige doesn't look great.
- Ugly looking center console.
- Poor quality Dash.
- Old gen handles. (Exterior)
- Poor door handles and door pads (interior)
- Bare bone power window switches and its console.
- Plastic around handbrake and center console.
  (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed