Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 09:33   #166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Im thinking either Superb in Manual (thanks to DSG issue otherwise i would've bought the Auto eyes closed) or the Honda CRV 2.4 AT as my next car. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Seeing the horror stories of Skoda and their product that is surfacing slowly even of the newer models, I will suggest you to be away from Skoda. The MT Elegance could be a better option of you want to avoid the DSG issues but it is a Skoda after all.

Honda CRV, yes no doubt it is a beret bet compared the the Skoda.

Anurag.
Old 10th February 2014, 10:44   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Hi Sahil Sorry to hear about your DSG problems. I was considering the new face lifted Superb in DSG but after seeing your problem i dropped the idea. What do you think of the Manual Elegance Trim of the Superb any ideas? Im thinking either Superb in Manual (thanks to DSG issue otherwise i would've bought the Auto eyes closed) or the Honda CRV 2.4 AT as my next car. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
This thread is about the ABS module, not the DSG problem. Although the DSG has also been replaced in the past.
Skoda has weak electrical modules hence whether you buy a manual or automatic you are yet likely to face problems. Although out of the two, the manual would be slightly less trouble free as the DSG will almost always fail once in the ownership period.

The new CRV is a great car, I would defiantly pick that over the Superb today. The japs are far far more reliable.

------------------

An update on the car, it is back with the new ABS module fitted. Got slapped with a Rs.80,000 bill (my 50% share on total cost of 1.6L ABS module) but a harder slap on my face for buying a Skoda
Sahil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 17:33   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Although out of the two, the manual would be slightly less trouble free as the DSG will almost always fail once in the ownership period.

------------------
An update on the car, it is back with the new ABS module fitted. Got slapped with a Rs.80,000 bill (my 50% share on total cost of 1.6L ABS module) but a harder slap on my face for buying a Skoda
Now that is a hard slap Sahil for being a brand promoter. Any kind of guarantee or any such thing for this new ABS module?

Be it an MT or DSG, it is a Skoda at the end of the day so beware is what should be told.

Anurag.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:19   #169
BHPian

Quote:

This thread is about the ABS module, not the DSG problem. Although the DSG has also been replaced in the past.
Skoda has weak electrical modules hence whether you buy a manual or automatic you are yet likely to face problems. Although out of the two, the manual would be slightly less trouble free as the DSG will almost always fail once in the ownership period.

The new CRV is a great car, I would defiantly pick that over the Superb today. The japs are far far more reliable.

------------------

1.6L for ABS module? Isn't that figure close to 10% of the total cost of the car itself? Is me the only one who is failing to get the rationale? Did they give you a bill that actually read 1.6L?
Old 10th February 2014, 19:39   #170
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

The least that Sahil deserves is lots of gratitude and praise for being honest to himself and to others here.

I could also be honest with a car that I owned and which started falling apart from the 2nd year (coincidence that the warranty was for 1 year). However, what is the point. That car (Corsa) is no longer in production. Somehow I think that the European cars give a better speed stability but are prone to more problems than a buyer could expect.

I have had one experience with Skoda in 2006-07 when I was on the hunt for a new car. Could not even get the dealer/sales rep to come to my home for a TD.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:51   #171
BHPian

Something got better. Gave my octavia for brake pad and disc change in front and price has become sweet disc a pair is rs 6500 and pads rd 3500 and total bill rs13000 qhich is comparable to dzire's rs11000 for same job.
First time in my 12 year ownership of skoda I left not feeling looted. On the contrary felt nice.
sinhsha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 04:30   #172
BHPian

Quote:
While I'm glad you've had a good experience with Skoda but god forbid you're driving down a open road at a decent speed with your family and the car beep Brake Malfunction! I think you too would experience "excessive" anger.
Moreover when they refuse to take responsibility for anything and make you feel like they have done you a favour by compensating 50% as a "special case".
Quote:
My anger is more with Skoda not willing to take responsibility after endangering my life and my family's. Seeing that message"Brake malfunction!" light up while I'm driving with the fam did set me into panic and god forbid if I had to emergency brake it could have been a disaster. I explained this to the customer service manager and questioned her that this was not about the money for me however I would like to know what would you do if your car endangered your life and your family's. She was silent and said she would urge her senior to review my case, then again few days later her response was that they are not willing to change the offer or accept responsibility. This stone heartedness is what has pissed me off.
If it makes you feel any better, ive had the same experience with Mercedes last year on the C Class.

The entire Pre-Safe system had a failure while my father was driving on the highway while headed for Lonavala. The car in question has had many problems right from the first year of ownership & has always been serviced at a Mercedes Benz worskshop even after the 2 years warranty expired even though we were always given outrageous bills each time including over 50-60k for a regular service.

After trying all i could & going through the same kind of anger, frustation & crap your going through, i was finally offered compensation of 50% as a "special case" (A certain percentage was born by the parent company & a certain percentage by the dealership which totalled to 50% of the overall expenses...Atleast thats what i was told)
Again, after the blunt disregard for the safety of me & my family, this is what Mercedes offered me & at the end, out of sheer frustration, i decided to go ahead & make the payment & get the car back.
All the above after making me feel they were doing a favour & the car was at their workshop for a good 2 months or more without even being given a courtesy car or even asked if we would like to have one.

Just in case anyone is wondering what Pre-Safe is:
Quote:
Mercedes-Benz’s basic PRE-SAFE® is a system which, at speeds above 30km/h, uses the driver’s inputs to steering, accelerator and brake, as well as dynamic data about the speed and rotation of the vehicle to determine whether or not emergency action is being taken, or if the car is out of control. If so, among other measures, the system takes the slack out of the seat belts using reversible tensioners and, if a side impact or roll-over is considered likely, it closes the electric windows and sunroof.
PS: Also have a Superb & it has gone through a gearbox failure right after the car came back from the workshop for some repairs & was a nightmare to get it sorted & it happened around the same time as the C Class problem but thats another story.
Also, they have replaced the suspension and this time when it went for service, they again said the suspension has to be replaced. When the bill of the suspension replacement & the date on it was shown, they said they will get back to us after checking the car again. They then just shrugged it off and said they had fixed the problem which made them think the suspension needed to be replaced & finally handed a bill of just 400 bucks against their original estimate of over 100 times that.

OVERALL, i dont think its just about one brand or one dealership, but it is the sorry state of affairs for any Indian car customer atleast once during his lifetime wherein companies disregard customers since they know there wont be much blowback, legal or otherwise.

Last edited by Xehaust : 11th February 2014 at 04:44.
Xehaust is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:37   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Now the water pump seems to have failed !

Car kept beeping for more and more coolant over the past few months now. Things got to a level where coolant was finished in 3 days time.

I believe this too is a common Skoda problem just like the DSG and gazillion other parts.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 16:20   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Now the water pump seems to have failed !

Car kept beeping for more and more coolant over the past few months now. Things got to a level where coolant was finished in 3 days time.

I believe this too is a common Skoda problem just like the DSG and gazillion other parts.
Sahil, I am really appalled reading the recurring problems in your car. My advice will be to fix it and sell it ASAP. You may incur some financial loss upfront by doing this, but you will gain:

1. A new & reliable car in your fleet, in case you decide to buy one.
2. Peace of mind as you never know when the car again throws those tantrums at you and at for what price this time.
3. Time - I am sure you will be doing a lot of follow-up for getting your car fixed everytime a component fails.
4 . Money: You never know which part among the 'gazillion' and of what value fails next time. And who would know better than you that the spares cost a bomb!

Hope, if does not cost you much this time!

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th March 2014 at 16:22.
Old 20th March 2014, 16:46   #175
BANNED

Re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Now the water pump seems to have failed!

Car kept beeping for more and more coolant over the past few months now. Things got to a level where coolant was finished in 3 days time..
I agree with what Saket has just said.

Sell that car and get a reliable machine that will serve you by being on the road travelling with you rather than sitting in the service centre and getting its parts changed.

I know the money loss will be higher now but nevertheless you better get rid of the car else you'll be spending money unnecessarily on it.

Quote:
One more question you need to ask the Skoda ASC guys when you go there next is what else are those 'Gazillion' parts in that car that can fail so that you can be mentally and financially ready to go about things in future!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 17:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

Oh Dear, well like someone mentioned earlier on in the forums that with Skoda its a bit of a gamble and someone is going to loose at some point. I am one of the lucky ones i suppose but then again the Fabia is not as complex as the Superb.

Sorry to hear about your tale , selling it off might be a very viable suggestion and you should consider that. There is a difference of a couple of cars now between Skoda being the least sold brand in India vs its second last spot. Skoda engineers do have a tendency to replace rather than repair , in my case when i was having a minor vibration problem i appreciated this attitude to be honest , i suppose it's different when the bills are much higher.

Best of luck.
Old 20th March 2014, 18:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
Something got better. Gave my octavia for brake pad and disc change in front and price has become sweet disc a pair is rs 6500 and pads rd 3500 and total bill rs13000 qhich is comparable to dzire's rs11000 for same job.
First time in my 12 year ownership of skoda I left not feeling looted. On the contrary felt nice.
Dzire's brake disc and pad combo is around 4000 rupees including labor. I got mine changed just a month back.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 18:29   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Sahil,
Sorry to read all this. 1.6L for the ABS module!!! Sad. What exactly was the problem? Since it appears to be out of warranty, you must have gotten the original module back. I would highly recommend getting it checked to identify what exactly failed.

But I really appreciate your honest reporting. At least you are clearly saying that this is unacceptable and unfair. As I mentioned to Santosh on his thread, I was speechless when I read the Yeti thread where the owner had to negotiate with Skoda for months, eventually had to pay 30K to get the car back (all this for supposedly having filled poor quality diesel once!). And what bothers me even more is the owner said he was happy with Skoda service!

I think it's high time everyone in India starts calling good service as "good" and bad service as "bad".
Old 21st March 2014, 02:34   #179
BHPian

My god this Skoda horror is just not seeming to leave the Team-BHP forums at all. And as much as I am enticed by the new Octy, I'm just trying really hard to look past it. Was invited to the customer preview for the new Altis as a replacement for my existing one. The new altis has lost character, its just trying to be sporty like its writing cheques it can't cash. The front is way too fiddly for my liking, the dashboard is a complete mess, the passanger side bit is goping, there is a clock lifted out of the Innova right in front of the whole hideous air-vent ensemble.

The Octy manages to be a brilliantly understated design, clean and crisp lines on the outside, very well sorted high quality & mature but in no way dull interior, well equipped, fast and comfortable. However the variant I am looking at (rather worryingly) is the 1.8 TSI with that ill-famed 7-speed DSG.

And its because of threads like these on our forums that I am actually scared to even walk into a Skoda showroom and I know for a fact I will be smitten by the product and that very well could mean fall prey to the dark abyss of owning a Skoda lemon. My family has had an all japanese policy until November last year when I decided to get the Polo GT.

Anyways, Sahil, bro my heartfelt sympathies are with you and its commendable how you manage to be honest to yourself and to us forum members. If you would have any word of advice for people who are stuck in a dilemma like mine.

Is Skoda worth perhaps a fighting chance in the wake of their new brilliant product offering and existing customers who are happy or this too could be absolutely let down by their shoddy A.S.S and perhaps down to my luck if i land up with a lemon or no?
Old 21st March 2014, 03:03   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
The new altis has lost character, its just trying to be sporty like its writing cheques it can't cash. The front is way too fiddly for my liking, the dashboard is a complete mess, the passanger side bit is goping, there is a clock lifted out of the Innova right in front of the whole hideous air-vent ensemble.
I will say buy a reliable car and adjust with the looks rather than buying a car that looks good and sits in in its ASC most of tone defeating the purpose of a car.

Quote:
Anyways, Sahil, bro my heartfelt sympathies are with you and its commendable how you manage to be honest to yourself and to us forum members.
Absolutely agree with you. Thanks to Sahil for the honest reports and timely updates to the forum regarding the ASC and their qualities of service.

Quote:
Is Skoda worth perhaps a fighting chance in the wake of their new brilliant product offering and existing customers who are happy or this too could be absolutely let down by their shoddy A.S.S and perhaps down to my luck if i land up with a lemon or no?
Not after reading so many ill reports about Skoda, I will NEVER buy a product of them even if they make a Ferrari. How ever brilliant the car be I will not buy a Skoda car (No offence to current owners).

All the best in your decision.

Anurag.

Most Viewed