Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 16:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

I went against the tide 4 years ago when Team-Bhp was blowing up with Skoda complaints. The Superb was launched and it was a great product, I took the plunge and bought two TSi DSG Superb's for our family. Taking my leap of faith that Skoda was improving but I was wrong.

Link to my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-8-tsi-9.html

The cars had no major problems during the first two years. I even requested them to offer me extended warranty for a charge like they do for the Superb now but they refused. From the second year on it has all been down hill, both cars have had DSG failure, one of which is perhaps going to need a second one too. Inspite of the cars being immaculately maintained only at Skoda workshop and have low mileage on the odo.

But things really reached an all time low two months ago. My car that has been driven just 34000kms goes in for a major four year service wherein the brake pads and discs have been changed. On it's return the car beeps "Brake failure visit workshop".. Coincidence? I think not !
My car has always been serviced at JMD Skoda hence I sent the car back to them and they informed that the ABS module has failed and would cost close to 2 lakhs to replace ! I flatly refused to bear this cost as it is clearly an electronic failure caused by no fault of ours. I was fed up and decided to fight it out and after 3 weeks Skoda reverted to take only 50% of the part cost which too I refused to accept as taking part blame for an electronic Safety part is just not done. The company had endangered our lives and refusing to take ownership to rectify it's faults. It really is not about the money that I am putting up a fight but this is a moral issue.

I escalated the matter to senior officials at Skoda but they have refused to help and said only customer care can respond to customers. The customer care people are only communicating via the dealer and sticking to their 50% compensation. I have been trying to speak to them directly to close the matter but their customer service truly has only gotten worse if we were hoping it got better with time.

Long story short, its been nearly two months that the car has been at the workshop thanks to Skoda's unethical and rigid customer care. Shame on you Skoda, you have lost a loyal corporate account for life. You ought to be sued and shut shop for playing with peoples lives!
Sahil is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

OMG. That makes 3 active threads documenting poor attitude and non existent reliability of Skoda cars. At this rate we will soon have a dedicated section of the Forum for Skoda.
I really don't have much to offer as advice but except this that isn't it possible for you and the other victimized owners to club together your efforts against Skoda? That way you will probably be a stronger force to deal with be it legal or negative publicity for Skoda.
What is your next plan of action?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Not sure how other Skoda owners feel reading such stuff (about the car plus the attitude of their people). Even with a VW, I too am a little skeptical about what could happen and if VW would turn out to be the same.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Everytime I see a Skoda Octavia, I feel like buying one; However, all of a sudden I am reminded of my committment to self which is not to touch VAG cars even with a barge pole. Asking a customer to pay for electronic equipment failures is not acceptable at all.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th January 2014 at 16:59. Reason: poll changed to pole
amtak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

That's really bad on Skoda's part of not accepting the mistake and settling this amicably, considering you having 2 Superbs! Hope you get a favorable resolution soon.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

You should thanks your stars that they didn't blame Mumbai's traffic for the brake failure (and thus implicate you) - perhaps meaning that the brakes are meant for highway drives on a european autobahn.

But what I don't get is this: in warranty, out of warranty, annual maintenance package, no such package - everything is fine.
However if there is a manufacturing failure which comes out in the open only after the warranty period - but it is a safety hazard - why can't the consumer take them to task?

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th January 2014 at 16:45.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

If the Car is 4 Years old and they have offered you 50 % off , I will suggest you to take the proposal . To be fair on Skoda , Electronics is not something that can be warranted for extended time . If you have reasons to believe that they messed up while repairs , you best chances will be to reason with dealership .
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 16:46   #8
BHPian

The company's attitude of not showing concern even when they are losing a customer of your stature goes to show how much they care for their other customers.
+1 to what drmohitg has to say. Can't all the troubled customers unite and fight it against Skoda and show them what consumers can really do?

-Bhargav
Old 7th January 2014, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Publish it in the mainstream media. You seem to have all documents from your side to back it up including a full service history for all your Skoda models.
Maybe you can also highlight the DSG recall in China (its official there) and not even a whiff of a recall in our country despite several failures. Media pressure may be the only way to generate pressure on these guys.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If the Car is 4 Years old and they have offered you 50 % off , I will suggest you to take the proposal . To be fair on Skoda , Electronics is not something that can be warranted for extended time . If you have reasons to believe that they messed up while repairs , you best chances will be to reason with dealership .
This has happened right after the brake repairs were performed and delivered back. Had the ABS failed prior to going to the workshop, it was a different issue.
Maverick5490 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 17:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

No evidence (yet), but seems highly suspicious that a braking-related module fails right after an overhaul service.

After Harish's experience, I won't put anything past Skoda dealers. Being libelous? maybe, but it's no coincidence that Skoda cars are failing frequently and the company is not doing enough (if anything), hiding behind policies they made up to shield themselves.

What happened to the customer service improvement drive? Never made it beyond the paper (or PPT presentation) it was on, I suppose.
Old 7th January 2014, 17:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

OMG! Not again!

@Sahil: While taking delivery from workshop, wasn't the error noticed? Or was it an oversight?

Disc change at 34k kms, isn't it too premature for that? Did you go blindly with what dealer suggested or it was indeed worn out?

I would not rule out some foul play in this, hope they have not swapped some parts from your car to another vehicle. High time you approached the courts also, if you have anyways decided to fight it out.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 17:28   #13

The simple strategy here is to not buy from Skoda. They will eventually pull out from the market.

There seems to be an incentive problem both at the corporate and dealer level. No one seems to care.

Of course, I am not suggesting that folks who have bought should be left in the lurch - we have a weak regulator, the court process is weak and it seems that Skoda doesn't give a damn for negative press.

Mod Note: Post edited. No need to drag in politics, even in jest. Political discussions are not permitted on Team-BHP

Last edited by noopster : 7th January 2014 at 19:28. Reason: Refer mod note inline
pande_monium76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 17:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am scared to go near a Skoda or VW showroom. It is sad that great cars are getting bad reputation because of dealers/ service centers.

A guy recently paid 1.5 lakh for clutch overhaul of Skoda Octavia. Hard to believe; especially considering that Skoda/ VW is not so premium in developed countries.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 17:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good god, this is terrible. One story borne of rage and frustration in a day is bad enough, now 2 in a day? Wow. Just wow.

I'm of the opinion that the cars themselves are very reliable, but one very often comes across rogue dealers who decide they can and will take customers for a ride. The lack of knowledge most authorized Skoda service centers have when it comes to fixing these high end cars is well documented on this forum, and it certainly seems as if you're being played like a fool since they've (the dealer) messed up something possibly quite simple and (relatively) inexpensive and asking you to foot the bill. I'm not one given to conspiracy theories, but it can't be a coincidence that all this happened right after you gave it in for a disc change. That's just too big a coincidence to ignore.

Here's a thought: most folks say that at the point of ownership that you are (4 years and out of warranty), it is much more prudent to get the car serviced at a trusted independent garage. Perhaps you can get a quote from them for the ABS module because if they can do it, it'll be significantly cheaper.

I really do feel bad for you, and I feel terrified as a prospective Skoda customer. Good luck, and do explore all your options. I don't think you should just leave it with Skoda and forget about the car. Please keep us posted.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed