Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 18:11   #16
BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Long story short, its been nearly two months that the car has been at the workshop thanks to Skoda's unethical and rigid customer care. Shame on you Skoda, you have lost a loyal corporate account for life. You ought to be sued and shut shop for playing with peoples lives!
Hi Sahil,

I can understand your frustration. The immediate solution would be to get the car towed to another dealer or bring a mechanic from another dealer to check the issue. Did they tell any explanations about why the part failed or how they verified it?

Try to settle things out of court and follow the regular escalation pattern. Recently a suit against Tata motors for malpractice was ordered by court only after 10 years. Please check with another Skoda dealer if these part number provided at the time of dealer is kept as record so that you can verify if parts were swapped. If you are going to fight it in court try to get the car repaired or else it would be there for a long time. We have Harish's case here where his car is in workshop for last five years and still there is no sign of final judgement. If you are planning to go to court and the car in the workshop make sure to take a photo of the part with time stamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would not rule out some foul play in this, hope they have not swapped some parts from your car to another vehicle. High time you approached the courts also, if you have anyways decided to fight it out.
Could you tell an escalation patter to follow in case if these event.(ie Manager, Regional Manager, Company Executieve, Facebook, Media, court etc.)
Old 7th January 2014, 18:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Improving? Think again...Only getting worse! *EDIT: now waterpump fails!*

How on earth can an ABS module costs 2 lakhs. Its not like they are going to change the ABS unit, pump and all 4 sensors. Maybe just the ABS unit or pump has failed. No way it can cost 2 lakh rupees. Ask them in writing which part has failed and do a lookup on the web. The ABS module should not be that expensive for sure.

Just goes to show how much these Europeans need to focus on testing products in India. After sales and all is a seperate game altogether.

Last edited by dipen : 7th January 2014 at 18:15.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
Could you tell an escalation patter to follow in case if these event.(ie Manager, Regional Manager, Company Executieve, Facebook, Media, court etc.)
Well am not an expert or anything, but logically i would escalate first at dealership level, then move on to the manufacturer service cell, then finally to court.

Media including social ones are for creating awareness and maybe getting support, will not really work in case of Skoda and such, with their arrogant attitude.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:19   #19
BHPian

Unfortunately my first post on the forum has to be on a Skoda Horror thread.
Really sad to hear what you're having to go through, at the same time recollecting my harrowing experiences with my Skoda Rapid.

1. Someone was wondering about Brake disc change at 34K. To put in my story here. The brakes on my Rapid were completely worn out at 12.5k kms and had to be towed to the service centre for replacement. Next the Brake pads again and brake disc were replaced at 30k kms(again after the vehicle was towed from Kannur to Calicut).

2. Before all this at approx 8k kms the car started developing heavy vibration from the engine bay during idling. After being kept in the service centre for over a week and after repeated lies and the parts finally "supposedly" arriving from the Chez Republic, the engine bedding was replaced under warranty.

3. The engine warning lights along with blinking glow plug lights came up at around 20kkms. Visited the service centre(Vinayaka Cars, Bangalore) about 3 times and each time the service advisor sent the car back saying the "issue" was rectified. Finally this was corrected in the 30k service by Vision Skoda, Calicut.
Now my car is done with the 45k service and no problems since the last one. But wait, the service advisor has "advised" me that the brake pads need to be replaced in another 4-5k kms.

PS: The brake pads on my i10 were replaced only once after 50k kms and definitely this can not be because of my driving style..
onedotsix is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 18:22   #20
BHPian

Irony of the fact is "Negative word of mouth & negative reviews by current owners" is something which SKODA India cares a hoot about.

Its really high time Indian consumer forums and consumer courts take this seriously .This is creating a bad precedent for other automobile companies.

Ideal situation would be at least the 3 complainants of Team BHP coming together with the support of general members like us here on teambhp and atleast file a PIL against SKODA.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
How on earth can an ABS module costs 2 lakhs. Its not like they are going to change the ABS unit, pump and all 4 sensors. Maybe just the ABS unit or pump has failed. No way it can cost 2 lakh rupees. Ask them in writing which part has failed and do a lookup on the web. The ABS module should not be that expensive for sure.
Cost has nothing to do with Skoda spare part prices. When the turbo on my Laura failed they gave me a quote of 1.35L plus taxes for it. I got the turbo imported directly from Garrett in Germany and got it installed outside. Total cost including duties came to some 40k odd.

A simple nut can cost 800 bucks at Skoda A**. One nut on my under-engine shield was jammed. They replaced all four and gave me a bill of 5k - thats four nuts and welding charges to remove the jammed nut.

So there is now way one can find rationale in their spare part prices.

@Sahil - for the DSG replacements - were those done under warranty or were you charged for them too? I really dont think Skoda gives a damn about negative press and they sure couldn't care less about our legal system. So really a buyer is fending for himself. As much as I hate to say this - pressing the dealer and bargaining with him is the only way out. Or better still - start getting your cars mantained from outside A**. I know this might affect resale - but Skodas have horrible resales anyway so really cant hurt much. At least you will have a usable car and not one which is lying at the dealer for ages for want of spares or one which the dealer messed up to loot the customer.

Last edited by Cesc : 7th January 2014 at 18:27.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 18:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

This is a notorious fault of VW cars with ABS brakes. It is sometimes all to do with a faulty brake pressure sensor in the ABS pump or the ECU is kaput

VW/Skoda say repair
What you should do is pull the car out of the workshop, get someone with a VAG scanner to find out fault code.

If 01435 Brake Pressure Sensor 1 - the pump needs to be overhauled

if ABS ECU - it needs to be resolved

Replacement need not be the answer. All your answers are here

http://www.ecutesting.com/abs_pumps_modules.html

You might need to find someone to remove pump and also how to ship over for repair.
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 19:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my school friends purchased a white Superb 1.8TSI only 2 months back. The guy sent us (former) classmates photos of his new ride looking mighty pleased just as anybody would when he drives home a new car.

We met 2-3 weeks back for a family dinner and he showed me his new car, animatedly talking about the class leading comfort and VFM the Skoda offers over other D2 class sedans. While I agreed with the VFM bit I didn't have the heart to tell him to read about Skoda ownership experiences on TBHP.

Other than blowing off steam at Skoda the best way to get back at them for shoddy treatment of customers and a nightmarish ownership experience is to **stop buying their cars**. Sad thing is, this has been going on for years. Skoda doesn't improve and neither do people learn from others' experiences.

How in the world did Skoda manage to top customer satisfaction/reliability surveys?! Makes me think they are fudged or a big pile of bovine droppings!

Sahil, truly hope that you find some way out of this mess. Good luck man.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th January 2014 at 19:03.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 19:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nothing surprising, you've been "Skodad".

I'm just gonna make sure I never touch a Skoda with a barge pole. Wonder sometimes how come VW does not get the same kind of negative feedback since its practically the same technology, what do they do right that Skoda seems to be missing?

Some soul searching is long overdue, Skoda, but heck you guys don't care, so no point advising you on how to improve.
Old 7th January 2014, 19:26   #25
BHPian

Time and again I have been contemplating on buying the Skoda rapid as my next car. Especially after seeing all the mouth watering deals and discounts, I visited the showroom twice and almost booked it too. But the various posts here in TBHP was in the back of my mind and was pulling me back from paying the booking amount. Now after seeing this one, I think my decision is made. Thanks Sahil, for helping me arrive at a conclusion.
Old 7th January 2014, 19:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Ouch this is bad! And if this is the treatment meted out to someone with 2 Superbs, not to mention other premium stuff in his garage, heaven help the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
How on earth can an ABS module costs 2 lakhs. Its not like they are going to change the ABS unit, pump and all 4 sensors. Maybe just the ABS unit or pump has failed. No way it can cost 2 lakh rupees.
My guess is they will not even bother analyzing the fault and just replace the whole unit- that's how the Germans operate here. My Vento's HVAC was changed (total cost: 60,000+) when a couple of the vents stopped blowing cold air. Thankfully it happened just before the warranty expired and I got away without paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

VW/Skoda say repair
What you should do is pull the car out of the workshop, get someone with a VAG scanner to find out fault code.
@Sahil- this is the right approach to take, or at the very least, have an independent mechanic of repute take a look at it.
Old 7th January 2014, 19:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Long story short, its been nearly two months that the car has been at the workshop thanks to Skoda's unethical and rigid customer care. Shame on you Skoda, you have lost a loyal corporate account for life. You ought to be sued and shut shop for playing with peoples lives!
Sahil,

I can understand everything but why keep the car there? More parts can be swapped. If an unethical dealer did something stupid (as it seems to sound like potentially), they have more temptation. A car standing there does not become any younger - nor does your claim become any weaker if it stands at home.

Here's my contention - if the car deteriorates further while standing, then it is simply making the problem worse (Skoda/dealer would not accept any more responsibility).
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 19:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is incredible - incredibly sad I mean. Sad that so many enthusiastic friends have spent hard earned money on their passion only to find that they have been shortchanged. Sad that inspite of so many such instances and customer complaints the company does not take the Indian consumer seriously.
This should also be a lesson to all of us to treat the buying of such brands as pure gambling - trade off peace of mind for the pleasure of enthusiastic driving and German/European engineering. Not the kind of odds that appeal to me.
Really sorry to read about your awful Skoda experience Sahil.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

More Skoda woes! I had been noticing that most of the Skoda issues reported here are from down south. Anyone see a pattern? Just 3 weeks ago, a truck made a big dent in the left rear door of my yeti when backing up. And to bring it to shape and full paint, the Skoda dealer in Noida did it in 2 days and costed around 5K only with bill without claim (even less than independent paint shops). I had expected the dealer would force me to replace the whole door, and I was even ready for it as I had a zero dep insurance.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 20:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'm of the opinion that the cars themselves are very reliable,
This statement of yours definitely needs a lot of explanation / justification!

Reliability of Skoda cars are probably average. But they get lots of bad press (as compared to other brands) for 2 reasons -

1) Problems that Skodas face seem to result in complete breakdown of the car. This results in Skoda owners being stuck, sometimes on highways, for hours together before help arrives.

2) Repair bills are exorbitant compared to the price of the car. There is a difference between a Rs. 80 Lac car owner getting a Rs. 2 or 4 Lac repair bill and a Rs. 20 Lac car owner getting a similar repair bill amount.

Solutions: (just in case Skoda honchos are reading this thread)

1) Ditch the DSG and either go for manual only model range or adopt Audi A4's CVT gearbox across all models.

2) Subsidize spare part prices by 70 to 80%, and make up for the possible loss in revenues by hiking new car prices by 10%. You see, customers won't complain MUCH if the repair bills are "reasonable".

3) Learn from Japs. Honda was so concerned about diesel fuel quality in India affecting their customers (and hence their brand image) that they delayed launch of diesel cars for 10+ years. Spend some $$$ on R&D and see how low fuel quality could affect their cars.

4) Maruti Suzuki's Vice President - Marketing once said in an interivew "Customers are right 90% of the time. The remaining 10% we consider it as a cost of doing business". Which means - Customer is always right. Just give him what he wants!
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed