Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 13:46   #16
BHPian

re: Mercedes S-Class launched @ Rs 1.58 crore *EDIT: S350 CDI launched at 1.07 cr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Interesting point. Though, i think if the rear seat passengers are buckled up, they probably wont reach the tables?
Maybe. But in the event of a nasty hit, the various bits of equipment may dislodge/break due to the force of the impact and my be hurled at the passengers*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Almost all the Distronic based driving assistance systems (as well as MBC which uses radar to constantly calibrate itself) will not be available since the 24 & 72 GHz frequency bands that the S-Class' radar uses are reserved only for military vehicles in India. I wonder if they've been stripped from the 'Launch edition' cars (being S500s), or just deactivated...?
cya
R
I have a strong hunch that it's just deactivated.

Besides, it would've gone haywire sensing our roads anyway!

*Unlikely although cannot be ruled out totally.
Old 9th January 2014, 16:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Maybe. But in the event of a nasty hit, the various bits of equipment may dislodge/break due to the force of the impact and my be hurled at the passengers*.
doesn't it has extra airbags for rear seat passengers? Such a costly vehicle ought to have some extra safety for passengers on rear seats.
Old 9th January 2014, 17:51   #18
BHPian

re: Mercedes S-Class launched @ Rs 1.58 crore *EDIT: S350 CDI launched at 1.07 cr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
But I couldnt help noticing these rear seat comforts - the shelf / foldable tables - in the unfortunate event of a crash - dont these items pose a threat to the rear passenger?
AFAIK, such tables & trays carry advisory NOT to use them while the vehicle is in motion.

And, to think of it, earlier S Classes so optioned had more robust folding tables made of solid veneer, and not these clumsy looking airline type tables.

Last edited by Yeldo : 9th January 2014 at 17:53.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The tables are well constructed (Aluminum structure). They shouldn't dislodge or break. The laptop/ipad on them however will take flight... (but hey, you can't control everything).

Quote:
I have a strong hunch that it's just deactivated.
Yeah, me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
doesn't it has extra airbags for rear seat passengers?
It has 8 airbags. Also there is pre-safe which tightens the seat-belts if it senses an impending collision.

If you get the reclining rear seat, you also get this:
You'll also notice a white airbag at the base of the seat. This comes into play if the seat is in its fully reclined position, which increases the chances of the passenger sliding through / under the lap-belt in an accident. If required, this cushionbag inflates and raises the front edge of the seat cushion, making it less likely that the passenger submarines through the bottom of the seat belt. In case you're wondering, this airbag can be replaced without the need to change the entire seat.
Full post

cya
R

PS - Here's a picture that didn't fit in the report. Near the rear grab-handle, one button is for the reading light. The other is to toggle the ambient lighting for the rear half of the cabin only (I had missed this in my preview report, Parrys spotted it at the launch):
Mercedes S-Class launched @ Rs 1.58 crore *EDIT: S350 CDI launched at 1.07 cr*-51s_class050.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th January 2014 at 18:11.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is an incredibly fine car. I wish I could afford it one day. How about a comparo between the new range rover and this?

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2014 at 20:06. Reason: Typo
Old 9th January 2014, 18:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its probably the safest thing on 4 wheels even now,but I cant help but ask why only 8 airbags in the Indian version ? Does the euro version get 14 airbags like ACI reports
Old 9th January 2014, 19:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is an incredibly fine car. I wish I could afford it one day. How about a compro between the new range rover and this?
I was also going to ask the same,

But i feel the new range rover vogue has loads of off-roading features compared to luxurious in Benz, so a comparison wouldn't be apt IMO.

One feature that is my personal favourite with the RR is the car checks 500times in an second about its presence on the ground surface and adjusts accordingly if a change is needed.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Calcutta Price for the S500 Launch Edition

Attachment 1188348
8 lakhs for insurance! That's bonkers!
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 20:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That is an impressive insurance cost, 5% of the ex-showroom price. Around Rs 2,250 per day :-) I am sure even the basic no-frills insurance would be around 2.5% or half of it.

Bangalore has 20% RTO tax, which would be a cool 32L.
I just cancelled my plans to buy one.

I realized, I certainly do not want to fill the pockets of local BLR RTO and finance their junkets when all I am going to get in return is war zone infrastructure.

no thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 21:01   #25
BHPian

It's a little funny to see folks sulking on insurance and rto amount. No personal offense, but what exactly do you expect from a 1.5 crore car?? Would you like the insurance company to offer a comprehensive insurance for a lakh??

All those who really buy this, won't care a dime on insurance or kmpl or rto tax, since the pockets are way too deep.

If a person who buys this (which can otherwise buy a 5 bedroom apartments from top class builder or 3 bedroom villa, for a family) won't even care to account the opex. Therefore, let's not sulk on things that we cannot afford. Reminds me of the fox/grape story!!!
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
It's a little funny to see folks sulking on insurance and rto amount. No personal offense, but what exactly do you expect from a 1.5 crore car?? Would you like the insurance company to offer a comprehensive insurance for a lakh??
Read again, think again.

I am not complaining about the car or the cost of the car (we all know ~100% import duty included in the sale price)

I am only talking about BLR tax of 32L, and what you get in return from the Govt - in other words, S-class and WagonR both get to experience the same war zone infrastructure of BLR. (and no offence to WagonR , it has earned its own respect through Kejriwal!) is it not ironic?

Last edited by aerohit : 9th January 2014 at 23:14.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 12:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes India will assemble S Class V8 petrol before diesel model.

Mr. Eberhard Kern, Managing Director and CEO of Mercedes-Benz India confirmed this development at the rollout of the 50,000th car from the Chakan facility.

Following the local assembly of the S Class petrol, the S350 diesel powered by a 3L V6 engine producing 254 hp and 620 Nm of torque will be introduced

Source
Old 13th March 2014, 12:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes S-Class launched @ Rs 1.58 crore *EDIT: S350 CDI launched at 1.07 cr*-2014mercedesbenzsclasslocallyassembledindia.jpg

Mercedes-Benz India today commenced local assembly of the W222 S Class at its Chakan facility in Pune

Thanks to the local assembly the price is now Rs 1.36 Cr (ex-showroom, Mumbai) i.e. a reduction of Rs 20L.

Source

PS - The question is, isn't the reduction offered after the local assembly is too less compared to the CBU unit ?
Old 13th March 2014, 21:47   #29
BHPian

Essentially, the launch edition was the ludicrously overpriced imported version sold to convince buyers of the product while MBIL prepared their domestic, just insanely overpriced edition for sale.

So for just a fraction of the tax savings, or for 20 lacs less, gained by manufacturing in good ol' Chakan, you lose a ton of what sets the S Class apart from its rivals simply because MBIL doesn't believe us silly Indians will notice the lack of nappa leather, wood on the steering wheel, 3D audio etc, fewer airbags etc. etc.

Silly Indians. Smart Germans.

Last edited by Screwdriva : 13th March 2014 at 21:51.
Screwdriva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 22:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
PS - The question is, isn't the reduction offered after the local assembly is too less compared to the CBU unit ?
I think local assembly and a substantial price decrease happen only if the engine is assembled here, in this case the engine is imported so any real savings or cost advantage goes out the window.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks