Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 11:10   #31
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Metro Ford, Bangalore has prices and I'm attaching the latest price list.
Thank you for sharing the price list!

It looks like the price cut isn't as spectacular as mentioned in the news report. The LXi variants get the biggest cut and the Titanium ones the least. The diesel variants don't make that much of a case for themselves, considering that the Figo diesel with the same engine is available for much less. With this price cut, Ford can get a larger share of the fleet market pie as the diesel Classic should be able to attract more fleet operators.

The petrol 1.6, on the other hand, has surely become a value-for-money buy now. It may not have great interiors, but comes decently equipped. No other entry level sedan offers a 100PS+ petrol engine and the handling, ride & steering characteristics of this Ford. It's definitely the most vfm fun-to-drive saloon/sedan in the market now.

Last edited by RSR : 14th January 2014 at 11:21.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 12:19   #32
BHPian

Given the price reduction, is it a good decision to buy a classic now?
I always had a soft spot for the classic, but stayed away because of its ageing factor. Because, later I do not want to regret having dropped my hard earned money on a dying model.
Old 14th January 2014, 13:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
Given the price reduction, is it a good decision to buy a classic now?
I always had a soft spot for the classic, but stayed away because of its ageing factor. Because, later I do not want to regret having dropped my hard earned money on a dying model.
To me, in the price segment that it is, it does not seem aged in any way. So it depends on what you would call aged BTW even if it is out of production by 2015/16, the company is still mandated by law to produce parts for another decade.
Old 14th January 2014, 14:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Hate to be a spoilsport, the Classic, though quite capable in its own right, actually benefits from some suspension/steering component sharing with its smaller brother, Figo, rather than its previous look-alike Fiesta. This can be felt on a back to back drive of a proper old Fiesta 1.6 and a new classic 1.6.

This new to me. I thought it was the other way round. The Figo got its arms and legs from the Classic parts bin.
So essentially, the Figo is a Classic without a boot now. Of course, the pertol engines differ by 400cc and 30bhp which makes all the difference.

I always wanted a Fiesta 1.6 and with the price slash , the Lxi makes a tempting buy. Add to that the FFE and CAI on my Figo now and it will be fun .
But, the resale of my Figo 1.2 which is 3.5 years is pathetic and I shudder to think what it would be on the Classic few years down unless I plan to keep it as a Classic with me.
Old 14th January 2014, 15:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
They are paving the way to price the upcoming 2014 Ford Fiesta Sedan (facelifted) .

Cheers!

Could be either that or they have extended the life of the product until the facelifted Fiesta walks into the market to fill that sedan space after which they can neatly phase this out without leaving any void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Had this happened even two weeks ago, I would have certainly considered it (the top spec version with ABS, Airbags and all the fiddlies) for my folks.
As a matter of interest for me and OT too - what car did you guys decide on then?

Last edited by vvijay : 14th January 2014 at 15:15.
Old 14th January 2014, 15:26   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

WHOA! 5 lakhs for a 1.6L sedan with a brilliant steering, dynamics and free-revving engine? The absolute pick for an enthusiast on a budget right now.

Frankly, except for the Linea T-Jet which is priced significantly higher, there is nothing for a petrolhead in the market right now. The petrol City, Verna, Vento, Rapid etc. just don't result in the same smile on the open road.

Superb deal. I think it's a stock clearance before R-I-P rituals.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 16:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

I had decided to buy my wife a brio SMT which was coming to Rs.5.5 on road. Maybe i can convince her to take my 1.3l swift and i can buy this

Wish me luck.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wish Ford brought back the aquarius blue shade available earlier on the Fiesta 1.6S
dipen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:57   #39
BHPian

Hyundai was selling the old Accent with no visible cost cutting for the same price, 4.99 lakhs. Yet there weren't many takers for it. Resaon was resale value.
Regarding college kids going for it, i doubt that too. For them looks are very important, and Swift fills that gap nicely. It is to them, what RX 100 was to the 90s generation. The Fiesta Classic looks too old to be of any interest to a college kid, unless he is a hardcore petrol-head.
I guess this move is to counter the new found popularity of Etios among the Taxi Owners.

Last edited by Daewood : 14th January 2014 at 20:00.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 22:52   #40
BHPian

This is the worst a company could do to increase sales and garner volumes. In the whole process, they end up annoying customers. Those of few who might have bought the car last week will today feel cheated as they had paid a lakh more than the person who is buying it now. Moreover, the resale value immediately takes a nose dive.

Those of who would feel cheated at such a step will never be second time customers. The announcements of huge and drastic price cuts are good to get media attention but not to earn customers.

GTO has said it right it is going to be RIP ritual only.

Last edited by mints21 : 14th January 2014 at 22:53.
Old 14th January 2014, 23:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Evidently a rather well-heeled College kid or at any rate, one with seriously well-heeled or maybe NRI parents!
I know of one who has a 1.6! And he enjoys it unlike a minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
ACI once declared that Fiesta-S is the best vehicle on the other side of 20 lacs range (other being a BMW).
For the business of Ford, it may not make sense since all driver oriented cars were rejected in our market (example : Polo TSI, linea tjet, Fiesta-S, etc...).

Hopefully the regular classic Fiesta will bring back the glory
I very well remember ACI labeling the classic as a FWD Beemer. I even remember the pic in the article; it was either a red or a blue classic on a nice, winding ghat road.

Edit: Here is the article

On the contrary, I think it makes perfect sense for Ford to continue sales of such a driver-oriented car as the classic alongside their other line-up up until they get ready to launch it's successor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Maybe i can convince her to take my 1.3l swift and i can buy this

Wish me luck.
Godspeed mate :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Wish Ford brought back the aquarius blue shade available earlier on the Fiesta 1.6S
I like the way you think buddy. Of the few cars I've driven, nothing has managed to instill as much confidence and invoke my spirit as the classic. I really wish I had some spare $$$ right now; I'd have promptly dropped it on this machine!

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 14th January 2014 at 23:33.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 01:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Regarding college kids going for it, i doubt that too. For them looks are very important, and Swift fills that gap nicely.
I guess this move is to counter the new found popularity of Etios among the Taxi Owners.
For the college going kid, FE is definitely a priority as much as looks, drive pleasure. Apart from everything else, it should feel new which the Fiesta does not.

Classic wont find popularity among taxis as Fords dont respond well to CNG + it is not as spacious like the Verito or Etios.
Old 15th January 2014, 06:51   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Could be either that or they have extended the life of the product until the facelifted Fiesta walks into the market to fill that sedan space after which they can neatly phase this out without leaving any void. As a matter of interest for me and OT too - what car did you guys decide on then?
We decided on the I 20 Asta and paid up the downpayment as well. Now just waiting for the marginal loan, old car exchange credit, registration and delivery.
Old 15th January 2014, 08:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
the Lxi makes a tempting buy. Add to that the FFE and CAI on my Figo now and it will be fun .
100Bhp for 5lacs. Even without the modifications, the Fiesta Classic 1.6l will a rocket. The Classic should be more fuel efficient too. Stop thinking, go for it.

You will have to take the re sale hit with the Figo.

Even if Ford is pulling the plug on the Classic, it still makes for a relatively safe purchase. The parts bin for the Classic is not too pricey.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th January 2014 at 08:31.
Old 15th January 2014, 08:07   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Today's Ford ad in TOI Blr Times.
I am not totally sure about this one lac reduction at all. If someone can please check again? Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh-image537034462.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks