Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quoting Economic Times:

" Ford India is trying to perk up its mid-sized sedan Ford Classic by slashing prices by Rs 70,000 to Rs 1 lakh across variants, with the entry level starting at Rs 4.99 and price top-most variant costing Rs 7.6 lakh, said people familiar with the development. The American carmaker had repositioned the old Fiesta sedan as Classic in mid-2012. "

Link here:
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
JediKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Sweet! Though I believe that they still won't be able to sell many unless they add some cool features to the car. I myself would not care, but things like climate control, drls, parking sensors and touchscreen music systems appeal to most people.

Here's what I really want to know though does the effect of these price cuts trickle down to the second-hand car market too? Would a 1.6s become cheaper?
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a very desperate move, one in which they dont seem to lose a lot of money ( almost all major tools, etc. would be depreciated ) on it. However, from consumer point of view, its now really VFM. As compared to cars like Etios, Classic has a few positives like a tougher build and proven diesel mill. Ride and Handling combo are still not matched by recent rivals and I would prefer a cheaper Classic than Asia specific platform derived sedan ( Amaze ). I wish they can offer alternative fuel options like factory fitted CNG backed by solid warranty. I believe that Ford has made very serious attempts to reduce spare price costs which should help.

Classic makes a very strong case for itself against Etios, Amaze IMO. The driveability of diesel coupled with good FE for diesel buyers and a great petrol motor for enthusiasts. A smart but desperate move.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

A classic development indeed.

They did it with the Ikon and now with the (classic) fiesta too.

New Fiesta will see some price corrections.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 18:01   #5
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Here's what I really want to know though does the effect of these price cuts trickle down to the second-hand car market too? Would a 1.6s become cheaper?
Of course, it will effect the prices in second hand market by 10%-20%. Fiesta classic looks really nice and with 1 lakh discount many people will now consider it.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:10   #6
BHPian

I think they want clear all their stock before they call it a day for Classic Sedan. The car is surely a driver's car but lack of some goodies is what is the reason for such low sales. But honestly a 1.6l engine with 4.99 lakhs of pricing is a a steal deal. Last year when I was buying a new car I was checking on Classic but lack of features and a age old design turned me off.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 18:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

They are paving the way to price the upcoming 2014 Ford Fiesta Sedan (facelifted) .

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 18:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

For how long can this horse be flogged?! I don't think it's going to make any difference in the showrooms. Where does this leave the Figo pricing?

Anyways, at about 6L on-road one get's a gem of an engine (1.6L/100 Bhp) plus handling package. Great steal for a College kid
Old 13th January 2014, 18:19   #9
BANNED

I think they are clearing stock, and preparing for the new sub-4m sedan!
Old 13th January 2014, 18:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
For how long can this horse be flogged?! I don't think it's going to make any difference in the showrooms. Where does this leave the Figo pricing?

Anyways, at about 6L on-road one get's a gem of an engine (1.6L/100 Bhp) plus handling package. Great steal for a College kid
I'm yet to see a college kid of the middle class drive his own a car, forget a new car.
hellmet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:29   #11
BHPian

Now, this is tempting. The Fiesta S has always been my favorite car and now with this news hope to see the classic numbers ticking.

Honestly, I wouldn't care for the bells and whistles as long as the car has basic safety features and more importantly brings you a smile after every ride. The ford classic fits in this category and I hope people will realize the VFM quotient on the car now.

One question though : Is Ford trying their luck by reducing the prices before deciding to retire the car ?

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 13th January 2014 at 19:51. Reason: Added some more points
Old 13th January 2014, 19:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes the big question is whether this move is to push sales or clear stocks? If indeed it is the former reason, then it would be good to own one albeit the age of the car.

Infact it is a very refined and superbly built car both on the exterior and interior compared to other full sized entry sedans such as the Tata Manza ( fit and finish) and the Toyota Etios ( cheap build and interiors)

The other cars that are available at the price point are all the compact sedans which do not give the same feel of a full sized one!
Old 13th January 2014, 19:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

The problem with the Fiesta classic petrol is the pathetic Fuel efficiency that it offers and the terrible resale of the petrol. The different in FE is nearly 25-30 % lower compared to the competition. Now that the base version (assume PS, PW as standard) is priced at 4.99, it will translating to 6.00 on road Mumbai. Do note the Swift VXI is priced exactly the same wich almost similar features apart from some miscellenous bits like body colored door handles/mirrors, electric mirrors, fog lights and silver trim interiors.

Doubt if re-positioning will help in sales. Maruti tried it with the Baleno but it still didnt help and it eventually died.

Anyone has the updated pricelist.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2014 at 15:20. Reason: Typo
Old 13th January 2014, 19:55   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Had this happened even two weeks ago, I would have certainly considered it (the top spec version with ABS, Airbags and all the fiddlies) for my folks. I would have considered it solely on account of this new re-pricing which really makes it well worth it irrespective of the engine, petrol or diesel. Fact is however that this car is at the end of its product life cycle and it is only a matter of time before it gets phased out or killed off.

As a matter of interest how much will this car now cost in Chennai?
Old 13th January 2014, 19:56   #15
BHPian

Way to go, Ford !!! A wonderful 'drivers car' becomes truly VFM.

I am a very-satisfied owner of a Fiesta 1.4 (bought it before it was re-badged as Classic). Its a car for someone who enjoys being behind the wheel ... It feels a very mature, solid-built car that has its engineering & mechanicals well sorted out .... awesome handling and very decent ride quality. Feels confident driving it even at 100+ speeds unlike the Hyundais and Marutis of the world.

The 1.4 Diesel mill would appeal to the VFM buyers, while the 1.6 Petrol (especially the 1.6 S) is a hoot-to-drive ... very much an enthusiastic's delight !!!

Who is this car NOT meant for ? The gizmo freaks and the 'sethjis' who prefer the back seat.

For everyone else, this is a very competent (slightly dated) package - at even more VFM prices !
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks