re: BMW India slips to No. 3 position. Behind Audi & Mercedes in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Is 3GT coming as CKD?
Yes it is as far as I know
Old 15th January 2014, 15:19   #32
BANNED

Re: BMW India slips to No. 3 position. Behind Audi & Mercedes in 2013

I personally think this musical chairs between the three big Krauts will continue!!
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 15:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not surprised. A sedan with low GC and without a spare has no business in a country like India. Not to mention the harsh ride. Yeah people would buy new launches irrespective of their suitability but such cars won't sell beyond the initial euphoria. Audi understands this from their VW experiences in these markets. Mercedes being an old-timers in most third world countries always understood and paid attention to their cars being usable in countries with poor infrastructure. BMW is either too arrogant or not serious about emerging markets to continue to push their no-spare, low-GC policy here.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

The main reason for BMW's situation is Audi. Audi satisfied all the aspirations of a would-be BMW customer at a competitive price point. A customer in the luxury car market will find Audi a great buy compared to BMW. This is true even for 1st time buyers in this market. Merc has its loyal clientele and will maintain its position. But Audi is going to lead them all, even more in 2014.
msdivy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The X3 facelift and the new X5 will be here this year. Hopefully they won't price them badly.

The facelifted 5 actually looks quite nice with the new lights/rims and the added features make it a good proposition. But they needed to price it well or at least discount it well..
The new X5 does look reasonably promising, but will it be able to hold its own, given that it's up against some serious competition? Only time will tell.

Also, facelifts just don't cut the mustard these days. The facelifted 5 does look nice, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

At the moment, Audi, Mercedes, and even Jaguar with their limited range of cars are taking BMW to the cleaners in terms of sales and numbers.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Oh so BMW are out with the numbers. Good.
Waiting to see which way it sways when the A3 is launched as im sure itl also have a 'low cost' version along with the loaded variants. Then come the CLA and new C.

Essentially low cost Q3 & A3 vs CLA variants & new C variants. Basically an interesting showdown between Audi and Mercedes. I dont expect BMW to make strides anytime soon nor do i expect the new X5 and 3GT to change their fortunes dramatically.

IMO something has seriously gone wrong with BMW's design language. I like almost all their current gen cars better than the upcoming ones. The headlights integrated into the grille is something i just have not been able to digest and i just didnt see the need for it. The current gen kidney grille with sharp non integrated headlamps looked just fine. 3GT, new X5, X4, renderings of the next 7...just dont like what i see.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 15th January 2014 at 18:18.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post

IMO something has seriously gone wrong with BMW's design language. I like almost all their current gen cars better than the upcoming ones. The headlights integrated into the grille is something i just have not been able to digest and i just didnt see the need for it. The current gen kidney grille with sharp non integrated headlamps looked just fine. 3GT, new X5, X4, renderings of the next 7...just dont like what i see.
I agree!

The idea is nice but the execution is just wrong! It's obvious that BMW is trying to relive their glory days by introducing this retro-cool integrated headlight-grille design language and it's not a bad thing. But they're just not doing it properly IMO.

Bangle got flak for his Bimmer designs. I'm not really sure why? Hmmm..
Old 15th January 2014, 18:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You are forgetting the mighty new X5 being launched this year which has immense road presence. Looks quirky to me but it might look better in flesh and get the job done for our luxury SUV market.

As mentioned in my previous post, the 3GT is being launched this month at the auto expo. This could be a game changer.
I don't know about the 3GT. Many people buy the 5 just for the 5 badge stuck behind. It will still be a 3 series in the 5's territory, so I'm not sure it will do well. I mean someone who wants good driving pleasure would buy the normal 3, someone who wants better status would buy a 520d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The new X5 does look reasonably promising, but will it be able to hold its own, given that it's up against some serious competition? Only time will tell.

Also, facelifts just don't cut the mustard these days. The facelifted 5 does look nice, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

At the moment, Audi, Mercedes, and even Jaguar with their limited range of cars are taking BMW to the cleaners in terms of sales and numbers.
The X5 looks great, but again it will boil down to the pricing. They will bring the 25d (2.0 diesel) here, and if they can price that under 50l ex showroom with enough features it will do great.

Well all the facelifts aren't bringing much change nowadays, look at the Audi A8 lol. This one at least has added quite a few nice features, and the interiors have improved and the suspension softened even more.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 19:28   #39
BHPian

BMW India's bread & butter models have essentially been 520d and 320d. However with the latest price revisions of upwards of 2.5L for 2014 models (4950000.00 x-showroom delhi for 520d), I do not think even this model would remain a good seller. The stripped down version, when introduced is not likely to be cheaper by more than 4-5 L which would still bring it into 50L otr territory.
As for 3er, the pxs too hve gone up by more than 2.5L, so it too no longer remains the cutting edge product.
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 19:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Bangle got flak for his Bimmer designs. I'm not really sure why? Hmmm..
7 series...OH MY GOD
The current 7 was a big step up from the bangle 7 hence the flak was deserved there.

But the E60 5 ???? WOW ! Even today it looks incredible. When i hear that 500hp v10 growl i miss it even more considering how much softer and more sophisticated the f10 has gotten.

Sure its a faster, superior and more complete package but thats what its supposed to be. I for one dont remember a single person telling me he enjoyed the f10 more than the e60.

So from the E60 if we're heading in the current design direction with the next 5 , it'll be very unfortunate indeed.

Anyway back to topic

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2014 at 14:41. Reason: Typo
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 20:16   #41
BHPian

I think the Trio is closely matched except for some features here and there, buying Audi seems to be the current trend which took off when people were looking for something different to a Merc or Beemer which were quite common back then, however now it is the Audi that is too common, I am sure this trend will switch.

I have always been a BMW fan and love the current 5 (not all BMW designs though), I think it looks better than the Audi and Merc, with clear subtle design language, I am not too fond of the bling lights or DRL's on the periphery of the headlights which does not associate with understated German looks, nor the fluidic lines of the new Merc, and though in overall shape they both have good designs, it doesn't carry the grace from yesteryear's, I'd have preferred the DRL's in the bumper or presented as a simple straight line rather then some curve or shape, this is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone, maybe my taste for design hasn't grown much and may change will future inputs or exposure.
Somehow I am not too fond of the new designs BMW is pushing, someone is experimenting ideas like in the bangle era.

Though as a product portfolio I must admit Audi has an impressive line up (esp SUV's) and the Mercedes seems to take the Indian market seriously in their approach.
Audi seems to be marketing their models or schemes pretty well as I know few who have picked an Audi without even considering other brands as they wanted the Audi 4 rings badge for status.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 15th January 2014 at 20:27.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 20:52   #42
BHPian

My belief is that BMW is the best of the three, especially for India, With the BSI maintenance packages, it just becomes so easy and stress free to own such a driving machine. The fact still remains that the 3 and the 5 are the best driving machines in their category. They are fast, efficient, handle like a dream and now are comfortable too. The small product portfolio and the ill prices 1 Series are killing the companies sales. It's only the 7 series that can't stand up to its competition. But it too is much cheaper than the A8 and the S-Class. Now, lets hope the New X range of cars will turn around the fortunes for the company and help them wear the crown again.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 21:43   #43
BHPian

I think the reason BMW attained the Numero Uno position earlier was mainly due to the ugly looking stripped down versions of its 3 series which went off the shelves like hot cakes.
Whereas merc and Audi were working hard to give premium value feel to its customers by launching hot models like new A6, A4, A class, new E Class and the super-uber-sexy S class amongst many others..

BMW thinks just launching cheaper versions will bring them volumes, but now we Indians are ready to shell out money provided we get good stuff.
Just an Off-topic comparison: PS4 brought in 250 items in Delhi on Launch and they sold off within 24 hours
Old 15th January 2014, 22:43   #44
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
BMW cannot get back to no1 for at least 2 years, Mercedes still has the lower end S classes and the new C class and the GLK which are all due to come here still.
Agree with you. The only thing going for BMW at the moment is their BSI/Extended Warranty plan. Mercedes Benz India is slated to launch 10 new models this year! The CLA & GLA would bring in a lot more numbers which would ensure that BMW stays at no.3. The new C is only expected in India next year apparently!

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/merced...odels-in-2014/
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 23:33   #45
BHPian

BMW had the market in its control until the new CEO went for profitability . The entry level models for the 3 and the x1 are now priced at least 5 big ones more ... With the same features ! No wonder the market has responded with a resounding NO
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed