Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 16:34   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the missing 5th tyre, could also be a reason. I know of 3~4 people who considered this as a deterrent.
It could be. Yes. But a donut is available.

Secondly run flats are very effective, unless your sidewall is burst (very rare) , you won't even come to know if the tire is punctured even if the tire pressure is extremely low. You can very easily drive to the nearest shop and get the puncture repaired.

I too was under a similar dilemma but with time I have realized the advantages of run flats far out weigh their disadvantages. U never end up actually changing a tire by yourself as you always have enough juice in the tire to drive to the nearest shop.
Old 25th January 2014, 13:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW India slips to No. 3 position. Behind Audi & Mercedes in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I too was under a similar dilemma but with time I have realized the advantages of run flats far out weigh their disadvantages. U never end up actually changing a tire by yourself as you always have enough juice in the tire to drive to the nearest shop.
Having a bad back and knees, probably I too would prefer RFTs.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:52   #93
BHPian

At least for me fifth tyre is very important. Last month we had an incident,
Around 12.30 midnight during the rain, we were traveling from Bangalore to Coimbatore in I20 and my friend was driving.

Because of the stagnant water at the right most corner of the road, we had hit an obstacle that was protruding outside of the road, and Our side wall of the front tyre got torn for about two inches, But because of the spare wheel , we were able to proceed and the tyre had to be thrown away.

Certainly I dont want to stand in the middle of the road especially in mid-nights after spending 30L
Old 27th January 2014, 16:00   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Although this is off topic but If the run flat tyre doesn't go flat then how do you get to know if you have got a puncture? In other cars we generally feel the steering hard and car pulling to one side.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Although this is off topic but If the run flat tyre doesn't go flat then how do you get to know if you have got a puncture? In other cars we generally feel the steering hard and car pulling to one side.
I'm assuming there'd be an indicator on the driver console, specifically for BMWs.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The system is connected to the ABS or ESP sensors I believe. The car can sense a difference in the rolling resistance and that's when it warns you that a tire may be losing pressure.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:47   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

So how much psi should a tire lose before the system picks it up and warns you?
Old 27th January 2014, 18:48   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Wont there be tyre pressure monitoring system to give you an idea of what is the pressure in the tyre?

Anurag.
Old 27th January 2014, 19:02   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So how much psi should a tire lose before the system picks it up and warns you?
It can be as little as 3psi also, but the system works much better on a smooth road with the car almost at a constant speed so that the system can judge the rotations properly. On our potholed and bump ridden roads with wheels losing traction and falling into bumps the system sometimes has a hard time and may only give a warning when the pressure has gone down 7-8psi.
Old 27th January 2014, 19:11   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the run flat tyre doesn't go flat then how do you get to know if you have got a puncture?
In most or all of the cars they sell , TPM is standard . You get warning on panel . But by my personal experience we can feel this most of times even before warning , as steering gets harder , you feel something not correct most of times & eventually alarms come in .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pr...itoring_system
Old 29th January 2014, 23:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

Guys check this awesome video by BMW India.

One quiet Sunday, ten unsuspecting families took a test drive unlike any other, and everything was captured on hidden camera.
I bet they sure must have bought the car after having such a brilliant time TD'ing it

cityvic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 07:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's true. I don't think looks play a big role in people buying BMW. Though looks are subjective, it's safe to assume this.

I bought 320d and the decision was taken based on the fact that it's RWD, has superb handling even after the rise in GC, iDrive and the excellent sports seats that come in Sport line.

On paper other cars look impressive but once you get behind the wheels as a driver, it's very hard to buy any other car in that segment.

Edit: 38L+ ex-showroom for Sport line is insane and I wouldn't buy it at this price today. But the 2013 prices were quite okay.
I had compared Q5 and X3 and for spec to spec Q5 is costlier. However, the Audi dealers tend to offer good bargains as compared to BMW dealers. Price of X3 30D has increased by almost 5 lakhs in last 18 months on paper the fact remains that a reasonable good cash discount is offered in most cases if one cares to bargain hard. In cities where LBT and / or higher registration cost has been introduced , on road prices have shot up in addition to the increase in the ex-showroom price. This has put off many buyers .
Old 30th January 2014, 11:42   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys check this awesome video by BMW India.

One quiet Sunday, ten unsuspecting families took a test drive unlike any other, and everything was captured on hidden camera.
I bet they sure must have bought the car after having such a brilliant time TD'ing it...
Hi Five for the marketing team! Truly out of the world!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th January 2014 at 11:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks