Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 00:11   #436
BHPian

Re: The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
The car looks good and specs are very solid! I bought Polo GT TSI 8 months ago and now I am wondering if I should have waited. New Figo is a lakh cheaper, bigger engine, more power and a dual clutch 6-speed AT! Spec-wise is also better than the Polo. Damn.
I can't believe I just read this. Polo TSI is far better any day with figo dct close second.

Turbocharged vs normal 1.5L. VW build quality vs Ford so so quality.
Old 26th September 2015, 00:28   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I can't believe I just read this. Polo TSI is far better any day with figo dct close second.

Turbocharged vs normal 1.5L. VW build quality vs Ford so so quality.
Yup. Agreed that the Polo GT TSI is definitely superior than the Figo 1.5 AT.

But is the Polo 2 lakhs better than the Figo? On road bangalore for the 1.5 AT Figo is 8.5L and the Polo GT TSI is 10.6 lakhs.

So the question worth asking before choosing between the 2 is, whether the Polo is worth the 2 lakhs premium over the Figo?

Remember both cars have more than a 100 horses, a state of the art DSG, climate control, 2 airbags, ESP, hill hold assist.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 00:46   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
However, the biggest problem is that if you are 5'7" and above, your head will constantly hit the roof at the rear seats - Bummer!!
The rear neck restraints are almost non-existent and offer no whiplash protection.
Totally Agree with you !
I checked out the new Ford Figo today and my head was constantly touching the roof on sitting upright, can't even imagine what would happen on pothole laden bumpy roads. The SA was trying to convince me by pushing the front seat all the way forward and sitting low . I think Aspire has better headroom.

Also, the fixed neck restraints were almost at my shoulder level and when sitting 3 at the rear, say on the left side, it will keep poking the right shoulder making it uncomfortable. Not to mention the large transmission tunnel that makes sitting in the middle uncomfortable.
I was so looking forward to this car but the above issues can be a deal breaker. I didn't test drive any variant as I didn't have much time so won't comment on that aspect.
HolyDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 09:27   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Information regarding the elusive Figo Trend+ variant from my sources.

For the 25,000 rupees extra you pay over the regular Trend variant, you get:

- All 4 alloy wheels,
- Front fog lamps, and
- Chrome door handles.

No ABS in the Trend+, as was speculated earlier.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 10:01   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- All 4 alloy wheels,
- Front fog lamps, and
- Chrome door handles.

Thank you for that info Avi. This clearly goes to show Ford is going the mass market way. The common man would any day prefer the fog lamps and the bling in the form of alloys and chrome all over the place and would be ready to pay a premium for that. Nothing wrong with Ford. This is what the market wants.
Old 26th September 2015, 10:39   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- All 4 alloy wheels,
- Front fog lamps, and
- Chrome door handles.

Thanks for the info RavenAvi.

I would gladly give up these three things in exchange for ABS.

On a different note,

I am looking for a petrol hatchback. My wife and I went to a Ford dealer and checked out the car. Didn't test drive as the petrol test drive vehicle is not available. The sales advisor told me he will send the petrol test drive car to my home once they receive it.

The showroom was slightly crowded. However, as soon as I arrived, I was greeted by a sales advisor and he took us to the display car and explained the features of the various trims. He stayed with us until we were done and also gave a price list. Overall, happy with the reception and handling of a potential customer.

I feel the new Figo looks good in person than in pics. The cabin is spacious. The steering wheel is of right size, chunky and felt good to hold. For shorter people, the dash height may look a wee bit on the taller side.

The dashboard caved in a little when I pressed it with a single finger. The glove box lid felt solid. The doors are not as flimsy as I expected. Panel gaps size varies from place to place. There is ugly panel gaps in the bonnet shut lines near the wind screen, where the panel edge is bent towards the outer side. I pointed this to the sales advisor and he said it is a design to deflect air and reduce resistance.

I may go for the petrol Trend version. When I compare the petrol Trend version to Swift's VXI, the Swift does not appear to be value for money.

Is the new Figo a direct competitor to the upcoming Baleno? Anyone has any ballpark price figures for Baleno petrol?

Thanks.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 10:53   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

I would gladly give up these three things in exchange for ABS.

I concur. I Initially went to the showroom with the trend variant in mind When i booked my Figo aspire 2 weeks ago.
I was disappointed when I came to know the trend does not have ABS. As usual the sales guys tried to convince me that the ABS is not really required and only functions at very high speed etc

There was no other option except to buy the titanium which costs 1lakh more to get both ABS and airbag. I would have gladly taken a trend+ with ABS and airbag
castiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 11:06   #443
BHPian

Quote:

I would gladly give up these three things in exchange for ABS..

Is the new Figo a direct competitor to the upcoming Baleno? Anyone has any ballpark price figures for Baleno petrol?

Thanks.
ABS is the real deal, you are right. But then why are you interested in Trend? Go for Titanium buddy. The money you pay would just be marginal over, in terms of EMI you would pay.
If you have some time and are not in a hurry, I would suggest you to wait for the Baleno. If not till it's launch, at least till the time we get some concrete info on it.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 11:32   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
ABS is the real deal, you are right. But then why are you interested in Trend? Go for Titanium buddy. The money you pay would just be marginal over, in terms of EMI you would pay.
That is what Ford also is secretly wishing for . However, you have a valid point.

Quote:
If you have some time and are not in a hurry, I would suggest you to wait for the Baleno. If not till it's launch, at least till the time we get some concrete info on it.
Fortunately I am not in a hurry. I am waiting for the Baleno launch, but I suspect it may be priced considerably more than Figo variant to variant. The main attraction to me is the Maruti petrol engine. Anyways, I will wait and see.
Old 26th September 2015, 11:37   #445
BHPian

Quote:
That is what Ford also is secretly wishing for . However, you have a valid point.

Fortunately I am not in a hurry. I am waiting for the Baleno launch, but I suspect it may be priced considerably more than Figo variant to variant. The main attraction to me is the Maruti petrol engine. Anyways, I will wait and see.
Not only the baleno will be priced much higher than Figo/swift, if history is anything to go by, then you will get ABS / Airbags in only the top most variant .
Old 26th September 2015, 11:49   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you will have ABS, a life savor feature that could have saved my Swift from the accident that killed her.
You are spot on, Maruti's k series 1.2L engine in my old Swift felt much better than Aspire's 1.2. I am sure Baleno would have even better options.
Old 26th September 2015, 12:18   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
But is the Polo 2 lakhs better than the Figo? On road bangalore for the 1.5 AT Figo is 8.5L and the Polo GT TSI is 10.6 lakhs.

So the question worth asking before choosing between the 2 is, whether the Polo is worth the 2 lakhs premium over the Figo?

Remember both cars have more than a 100 horses, a state of the art DSG, climate control, 2 airbags, ESP, hill hold assist.
My answer to this would be No. The Figo/Aspire AT twins falls perfectly between the average performing AT's and the high performing GT TSI. For maybe 90% of users and use cases, the Figo at 8.6 OTR Bangalore or the Aspire at 9.6 OTR Bangalore serves the purpose.

Once you experience the TSI over a period of time, it is difficult to adjust to something else. But that is irrelevant to a new buyer
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 12:26   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Not only the baleno will be priced much higher than Figo/swift, if history is anything to go by, then you will get ABS / Airbags in only the top most variant .
True that.

All these show us why the new Figo is a VFM proposition in its segment.

We also can guess why the ABS is not there in the Trend+ variant - it will cannibalize the Titanium variant which may have better margins.

If I were Ford, I will delete the Base trim, combine the Trend and Trend+ trims, as also the Titanium and Titanium+ trims, while keeping the VFM proposition intact. Then I don't have to confuse the customer as there are only three trims - Ambiente, Trend, Titanium = basic, middle, top. Nice, eh!?

Quote:
Yes, you will have ABS, a life savor feature that could have saved my Swift from the accident that killed her.
You are spot on, Maruti's k series 1.2L engine in my old Swift felt much better than Aspire's 1.2. I am sure Baleno would have even better options.
In the Aspire official review, it is said that the improved TI-VCT engine has great refinement, smoothness, and quietness and the reviewer is impressed with it vis-a-vis Jazz's I-VTEC. Now, I am a sedate driver and mostly drive in city with some highway driving, especially to my native place which is 170 kms away (on Chennai-Bangalore highway). My top priority is a quiet, smooth, and effortless cruise that don't tire me out, but priority is not outright punch. I drive within legal speed limits. I hope Figo petrol can fill in these areas. To be tested in a test drive.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 12:43   #449
BHPian

Quote:
+1000.

Quote:
If I may disagree here. Rumours say Baleno in India will be launched with traditional 1.2 and 1.3 engines. Not TCed 1.0 120+bhp engine. If so, I would personally pick a 1.5 Figo titanium over 1.2 NA.

If track record is anything to go by, I would feel alot secure inside a Ford and won't be driving something with a weaker brake.
Old 26th September 2015, 12:57   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
If I may disagree here. Rumours say Baleno in India will be launched with traditional 1.2 and 1.3 engines. Not TCed 1.0 120+bhp engine. If so, I would personally pick a 1.5 Figo titanium over 1.2 NA.
If track record is anything to go by, I would feel alot secure inside a Ford and won't be driving something with a weaker brake.
You are right about weaker brakes of most Maruti vehicles but my expectations from Baleno are a lot higher. It's looking good in photos and I have a belief in the "Baleno" brand, may be just because of my Father's 06 Baleno that is still good and going at 9 years of abuse in rural non-existant roads.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed