Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 13:36   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post

If track record is anything to go by, I would feel alot secure inside a Ford and won't be driving something with a weaker brake.
That is a big brush to paint both brands with a prejudiced view. Reviews have already mentioned that the Aspire doesn't carry the same kind of solidity that the Fiesta/EcoSport have. So no reason to believe Figo is going to be any different.

And while Swift did have weaker brakes in its cars without ABS, there was no issue reported in Ciaz or S-Cross. Considering that the Baleno is expected to be sold through Nexa, it is a safe guess that it will go the Ciaz/S-Cross way than that of the Swift.
Old 26th September 2015, 14:03   #452
BHPian

Went through the specifications and found that there are no leather seats on the Figo though they are offered on the Aspire. Talking purely about the Titanium+ variant of both.

Now my doubt comes. Since this is the variant which is equipped with 6 airbags, seat covers are a strict no-no. May I know how do they expect the owners to preserve and maintain the fabric seats of the Figo over a decade and a half (i.e. the lifetime of the car).

Now the second doubt:
Aspire has adjustable head restraints on the rear seat, absent on Figo. As per the posts on this thread, Figo severely lacks whiplash protection for tall passengers (like the people in my family) in the absence of this simple safety feature. It really reduces the effectiveness of the safety claims when statistically speaking, rear-endings are much more frequent than getting t-boned on the road.

If I get the rear seat back of the Figo replaced with that of the Aspire (which, going by dimensions, should be a direct fit), this simple issue is rectified but since the Aspire comes with Beige upholstery (black on Figo), it will cause
1. a color mismatch
2. Lose the ability to fold 60-40
3. Cannot be corrected with seat covers (Ref. Titanium+ variant)

I really want the Figo Titanium+ 1.5TDCi to be my next car and don't want to settle for the Aspire and pay the extra lac for the thing which we rarely use in our existing Sedans(bigger boot). Any suggestions on how to address both issues?

Last edited by antz.bin : 26th September 2015 at 14:08.
Old 26th September 2015, 15:14   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
All this claims of downsizing with turbos are based on financial gains made by gaming the system interms of high on paper fuel efficiency and restrictions and taxation based on engine size. Even in countries without engine size based taxation like US, turbos are being favoured by manufacturers because it helps them in claiming higher onpaper FE.

I am not expecting alto level of FE. I don't know the FE of an alto and I have never driven it and haven't travelled in it for more than a couple of km maybe.

The City and Ecosport may feliver same FE or the Ecosport may better the City when driven ssedately at 80kmph. Drive it a little enthusiastically or floor the accelerator then the FE will drop dramatically in the Ecoboost Ecosport compared to the City.
I will give a real world example - my previous Honda City i-dsi, designed to be a fuel efficiency champion, gave me 13.5 kmpl in city traffic with a/c from a 1.5l manual. The Vento TSI gives me 13-14 kmpl in the same conditions from a 1.2l automatic. And it's not like I don't rip it occasionally. I'm very happy that my choice of an automatic hasn't cost me in terms of fuel economy and I put that down to technology -- TSI + DSG. Not to mention, the greater power and torque.
Old 26th September 2015, 16:02   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
That is a big brush to paint both brands with a prejudiced view. Reviews have already mentioned that the Aspire doesn't carry the same kind of solidity that the Fiesta/EcoSport have. So no reason to believe Figo is going to be any different.
Oh, not really, I saw the new Figo yesterday itself in Metro Ford. The build quality is not really bad. Moreover, Aspire does not match the solidity of Fiesta or ecosports but its still better than the competition in the segment IMHO.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 16:23   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Now my doubt comes. Since this is the variant which is equipped with 6 airbags, seat covers are a strict no-no. May I know how do they expect the owners to preserve and maintain the fabric seats of the Figo over a decade and a half (i.e. the lifetime of the car).
Ford showrooms have specialized seat covers available for the Ecosport with 6 airbags - so I'm guessing they'll have similar covers for the Aspire and Figo as well. Although the seat covers are pricey, one really doesn't have an option here as aftermarket seat covers would not only prevent the airbag deployment but would also be dangerous in such a scenario.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 17:55   #456
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the new Figo along with BHPian aswin ajith today morning. The main attraction over Aspire is the all black interiors which looks great. And there are subtle changes to the bumper as well which makes the Figo look better when compared to the Aspire. It drives and rides the same as Aspire. I was more interested in the DCT than TDCi but they didnt have any automatic TD cars ready.

The hatch looks great from the outside. All it needs is some 15" wheels. Please excuse the open front door.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104007213.jpg

All black interiors. Wish it was gloss black instead of silver on the dash. Trend and Titanium gets the very smartly designed phone dock.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104036898.jpg

The DCT. A tiptronic should have been present. Didn't like the chrome finish on the ACC module and buttons. That mobile storage under it is perfect for smart phones. Moto X is a snug fit, got a rubber base as well.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104048518.jpg

Rear door pad looks neat. No bottle holder.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104058790.jpg

The modest boot.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104131935.jpg

The trademark Ford flap is fused to the bumper unlike the Fiesta or EcoSport.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104203883.jpg

Looks good from the front.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104235829.jpg

The ORVM is like that of old A-Star. Its just too small, should have been a bit longer.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_104415180.jpg

The ICE is okay. The sound quality is a step behind that of EcoSport and two behind Fiesta. Only Titanium+ gets the 4.2" MFD screen, no phone dock here. Same design theme as the older brothers, but mostly new parts. Ford could have done something different here.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_105647002.jpg

Front is spacious. So is the rear. Same sorry ORVM can be seen. The plastic quality on the inside is very good for a B segment hatch.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_105656267.jpg

The party piece of the new Figo. Curtain and shoulder airbags along with seat belt height adjust. Awesome job there Ford. The fabric upholstery is also very nice.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_105740092.jpg

The new white (Oxford White) is like the Hyundai white. The older shade (Diamond White) is a bit more off white as seen there on our Fiesta. I prefer the new shade while aswin liked the older one. Figo looks best in brighter shades.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_110017188.jpg

That's the Aspire! A bit bland when you compare it with the hatch.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_110204471.jpg

This is the Figo. Check the smart design changes on the bumper done by Ford on the hatch.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_110220994.jpg

Brochure looks like a copy paste of Aspire. No mention of wash wipe here. Ridiculous omission by Ford! The rear wiper is chunky and looks great.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_163942276.jpg

The price list for Kerala. The DCT and TDCi is terrific value given the kit on the offer. The pricing of DCT is aggressive as its technically not a 'small car' given the 1.5L engine.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-img_20150926_163951444.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 26th September 2015 at 18:13. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 18:38   #457
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I was more interested in the DCT than TDCi but they didnt have any automatic TD cars ready.

The DCT. A tiptronic should have been present. Didn't like the chrome finish on the ACC module and buttons. That mobile storage under it is perfect for smart phones. Moto X is a snug fit, got a rubber base as well.
Attachment 1419798

Thanks for a first deet, can you pls tell me what that toggle on the side of the lever does?
Old 26th September 2015, 18:49   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Thanks for a first deet, can you pls tell me what that toggle on the side of the lever does?
It's for shifting gears manually, up or down. But a conventional tiptronic would have been much better.

And no foot rest even for the AT. Bad miss.

Also, forgot to add about rear headroom. It's quite tight as the rear seat base is set high, unlike the old Figo. Tall passengers will definitely rub their head on the upholstery lining at the top.

Last edited by deetjohn : 26th September 2015 at 18:51. Reason: Adding text.
Old 26th September 2015, 18:49   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1419798

The price list for Kerala. The DCT and TDCi is terrific value given the kit on the offer. The pricing of DCT is aggressive as its technically not a 'small car' given the 1.5L engine.
Attachment 1419813
Aren't those buttons to the right of the gear stick used to select gears manually? Although maybe it only works in Sports Mode unlike the DSG where one can drive it like a manual selecting it at our will.
Old 26th September 2015, 18:58   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yup. Agreed that the Polo GT TSI is definitely superior than the Figo 1.5 AT.

But is the Polo 2 lakhs better than the Figo? On road bangalore for the 1.5 AT Figo is 8.5L and the Polo GT TSI is 10.6 lakhs.

So the question worth asking before choosing between the 2 is, whether the Polo is worth the 2 lakhs premium over the Figo?
2 Lakhs - that is way too much difference, my bad I thought it was more like 1 lakh.

That being said I personally would go for TSI as found Aspire AT to be quite laggy and not as peppy, maybe it will be better in Figo!
Old 26th September 2015, 19:04   #461
BANNED

Can we buy Figo Titanium + front seats and use it in Aspire so that we can get 4 airbags? Pardon if the question is stupid.
Old 26th September 2015, 19:36   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Rush Lane's review of the Figo 1.5L DCT & the 1.5L TDCI is out. While they don't sound that enthusiastic about the DCT, the TDCI has left them wanting for more.

1.5L DCT observations:

Quote:
The motor is refined and has a sporty note when revved hard. It has enough grunt at the low end for easy city driveability. The power delivery is very linear and hence the motor doesn’t feel as fast as it actually is. The undramatic mid-range is followed by an energetic top-end which produces impressive results between 4,500 to 5,500 rpm.
The 6-speed PowerShift dual clutch gearbox is tuned to offer better driveability rather than an outright sporty character. The shifts are reasonably smooth and quick but the engine struggles to keep pace with the transmission. This makes the gearbox kick down two gears at once more often than necessary.
The S mode also offers gear selector-mounted “+” and “-” buttons which takes a bit of getting used to.
Figo 1.5 Ti-VCT variant works well as a comfortable and fuel efficient automatic city car and it’s not really targeted at the enthusiastic drivers.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-newfordfigoreview210.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-newfordfigopetrolautomaticmileage.jpg

1.5L TDCI observations:

Quote:
Paired to a 5-speed manual transmission, the motor puts many bigger diesel cars to shame with its sheer performance.
The magnificence of the motor lies in its ability to offer a great low speed driveability with delightfully strong surge of power almost throughout the rev range. Performance gets explosive as the tacho needle approaches 2,500 rpm and from that point on, Figo diesel leaves pretty much everything on the road at its wake. The motor can cruise at some serious triple digit speeds all day long without complaining. The best part is, the despite its strong performance, it is up there with the best in segment when it comes to fuel economy.
The gear shifts are a bit rubbery and lacks the positive feel that the older Figo was appreciated for. The clutch pedal is light by diesel engine standards and is consistent. To sum it up, Figo diesel is a long legged cross country tool which pushes the segment’s powertrain benchmark to a new level.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-newfordfigoreview20.jpg

Rush Lane (Full Review)
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 19:39   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked out the new Figo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Rush Lane's review of the Figo 1.5L DCT & the 1.5L TDCI is out.
Thank you for the pictures of the Figo AT's interior, and the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Although maybe it only works in Sports Mode unlike the DSG where one can drive it like a manual selecting it at our will.
Yes, those toggles work only in the Sports (S) mode - Ford refers to this as SelectShift.
Name:  Figo AT S Mode.gif
Views: 5583
Size:  28.1 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Can we buy Figo Titanium + front seats and use it in Aspire so that we can get 4 airbags?
The effort and cost might not be worth it, and it might not even be technically possible. If you're looking at a Figo MT, it'll probably be cheaper and safer to just pay for the Titanium+ variant; and if you're looking at the Figo AT, you're out of luck.

Its not a matter of just fitting the airbag-enabled seats. You'd also have to do the wiring associated with the additional airbags. Then, you'd need to reconfigure the RCM (restraint control module - which controls airbags), fit the load/deformation sensors that detect side impact. Finally, despite all this, it might not work since the RCM might be expecting either 2 or 6 airbags, not 4.

For an indication of the complexity involved, see my post in the EcoSport recall thread (quoted below), where you can see the connectors that go into the RCM. You'd need someone well versed in tinkering with Ford electricals to even attempt this - you don't want an accidental short to trigger the airbags at the wrong time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I also managed to snag some pictures of the rewiring instructions

Last edited by arunphilip : 26th September 2015 at 19:40.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 22:26   #464
BHPian

Quote:
The RTO/Registration charges in Bangalore is almost double to that in Kerala.

This thought is absolutely putting me into a depression. One country and so much differentiation :(
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-figo-pricelist-otr-bangalore.jpg  

Old 26th September 2015, 22:56   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I can't believe I just read this. Polo TSI is far better any day with figo dct close second.

Turbocharged vs normal 1.5L. VW build quality vs Ford so so quality.
Haha. I know I know. Every time I drive the car I realise that it is a superior car. But then, the massive price difference comes to haunt my bank balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
Not trying to take away anything from ford but if interior space is not a concern, then i believe the one lakh extra you had spent for polo is well worth it. I had checked out aspire and has a polo in my extended family. The interior quality, overall finesse and solid feeling you get in polo is well worth the price difference. Not tried personally either ford dct or vw dsg, but read great things about the vw dsg on this forum. So, chill and enjoy your baby tsi.
Arey I am totally enjoying it. It was just a reaction to the shocking Figo pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
You're a TSI owner and you say the Figo has better specs? You must correct your mistake and buy the Figo. But then when at a red light the TSI blows away the Figo, go back and look at the torque figures - 175nm vs 134nm.

Realize that engine size means very little in the day and age of direct injection and turbo charging.
Hahaha. I dont think there has ever been the case where I needed that torque in this insane Mumbai traffic. Besides the point, Figo specs are a close second but pricing is very aggressive. My comment was more of a dissatisfaction towards the high price for VW. I totally love the car and dont repent buying it. It was just a knee jerk reaction.

Mod Note: Please Edit the same post instead of posting a separate one, when you are within the editing time limit

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2015 at 08:43. Reason: Back to back post merged
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks