Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 00:30   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched

Went to Harpreet Ford for checking All New Figo. What a car? Stunning in Sparkling Gold. Coming from our 2010 Figo Exi, it's an improvement in whole area. Yes the sheet metal thickness of doors are at around 10 percentage less but the bonnet and hatch are really heavy by construction. Boot is little small. Engine bay is really spacious and there is enough space between radiator and engine to act as a crumple zone. Was looking for 1.5 TDCi Titanium+. Test drive cars will only reach by Tuesday. Booked a test drive for next Sunday. Meantime took the test drive of Apire 1.5 TDCi. It's a rocket. With four people the car was literally taking off from 2.2+ rpm onwards. There was no lag as I feel such when doing bumper to bumper traffic. City driving was effortless. Will update more on next Sunday after doing a proper Figo TDCi test drive.

By the way Ford is offering genuine art leather seat cover for Titanium+ models.

OTR Gurgaon

1.2 Titanium+ 731737
1.5 AT Titanium 788382
1.5 TDCi Titanium+ 844206

Almost sold on new Figo TDCi. Just waiting for the price of Abarth Punto Evo now.

Cheers

Vinu
myavu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 00:39   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
By the way Ford is offering genuine art leather seat cover for Titanium+ models.

Almost sold on new Figo TDCi. Just waiting for the price of Abarth Punto Evo now.

Cheers

Vinu
Genuine Art leather is an oxymoron.
Are the covers a mix of real leather and fake one? Is it similar to the one in Aspire Titanium+?
Old 28th September 2015, 02:09   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Is it similar to the one in Aspire Titanium+?
No, it is a fake one. I will try to click one next Sunday.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 06:51   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Ques: Can i expect atleast a 15kmpl from AT with AC always on in Bangalore traffic condition.
Highly doubtful. I would expect an avg of 11-13 max in Bangalore traffic conditions. Although it is a small car, it is still a big engine. I get 10-12 avg from my vento tsi ( the polo tsi is similar).

I doubt if any petrol car whether manual or AT will consistently give 15kmpl in Bangalore traffic.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 06:51   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Ques: Can i expect atleast a 15kmpl from AT with AC always on in Bangalore traffic condition.

A more realistic figure would be 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore traffic with 100% AC. No automatic can give 15kmpl in this maddening traffic. In fact I find it impossible to achieve 15kmpl with a manual diesel.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:04   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Highly doubtful. I would expect an avg of 11-13 max in Bangalore traffic conditions. Although it is a small car, it is still a big engine. I get 10-12 avg from my vento tsi ( the polo tsi is similar).

I doubt if any petrol car whether manual or AT will consistently give 15kmpl in Bangalore traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
A more realistic figure would be 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore traffic with 100% AC. No automatic can give 15kmpl in this maddening traffic. In fact I find it impossible to achieve 15kmpl with a manual diesel.
Thanks, so i guess i can probably look at Ecosport too then as the mileage numbers should stay pretty close. My budget is around 10 lacs exshowroom. Another option could be to sell the honda city and upgrade to Honda city/Rapid/Vento AT and just stick with one car.

Will go TD all the cars this weekend, seems like it is going to be hard days ahead with a tough decision to make with so many choices
Old 28th September 2015, 10:35   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Checked out the new Figo along with BHPian aswin ajith today morning. The main attraction over Aspire is the all black interiors which looks great.

The party piece of the new Figo. Curtain and shoulder airbags along with seat belt height adjust. Awesome job there Ford. The fabric upholstery is also very nice.
Attachment 1419808
Looking at this picture it seems that the fixed headrests for the rear is confirmed by now. Though safety takes a beating due to this, hope it is at least comfortable. The rear seats will be occupied by my parents and they are not on the taller side.

Went to check out the car on Saturday evening at Planet Ford, Satara Road, Pune. Disappointed to know that they have not received a single Figo yet from Ford and are not expecting for the next 8 days, is what the SA told me. Which is weird from Ford to say the least. Here we have 2 great cars launched and people are actually turning to the showrooms to have a dekko and it's not available.

Has anyone checked out the new Figo in Pune? I am positively considering to book one. Which dealer out of the two (Planet Ford and Talera Ford) would be better, if anyone has any past experience?

Thanks!
Old 28th September 2015, 10:48   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Information regarding the elusive Figo Trend+ variant from my sources.

For the 25,000 rupees extra you pay over the regular Trend variant, you get:

- All 4 alloy wheels,
- Front fog lamps, and
- Chrome door handles.

No ABS in the Trend+, as was speculated earlier.
Disappointing. Ford following the market leaders and for a very good reason. When the nation wants chrome door handles over ABS, they are right in giving that. Our chrome seeking public deserves that . At least they still give 2 airbags so it's still not all bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The ORVM is like that of old A-Star. Its just too small, should have been a bit longer.
This is the one thing I did not like in this car so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Hi Guys

This car comes with 60:40 split seats ? Atleast in Trend variant ?
No it doesn't - not even in the top end models.
Old 28th September 2015, 10:51   #489
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at New Figo, here are my views :

1) The front seats are not that well accommodating. Did not feel comfortable in them at all. Could not achieve comfortable driving position. This was the final call for Not test driving the vehicle.

2) Seat height adjuster has a healthy range.

3) Rear seats lack under-thigh support and are rather flat. Rear Seat width makes it comfortable only for 2 occupants. Note than I am on heavier side around 90kg.

4) Boot is well shaped, but felt slightly narrow ( on a relative note only ). Space in tune with Grand i10, better than Swift.

5) Rear Seat headrests are not adjustable in version I had been into. Pathetic to say the least. It was barely supporting my neck and rather interfering in the name of support.

6) Space on the whole was nice. Cabin felt much more airy than Swift and even Elite i20.

7) Build was not usual Ford. Fiesta, for example, can be considered leagues ahead.

8) Dash seemed rather long from windscreen base, but could be due to flat top of dash.

9) Interior quality is nice, felt better than even Grand i10. The small shelf just below A/C controls is rubberized, all buttons had a nice quality feel to it.

10) The placement of ICE buttons are logical, less distracting. However, the volume dial is very small.

11) The instrument console is very small, seems like a straight lift off from Activa segment scooter. Swift, Elite i20 and even Grand i10 fare much better. Earlier generation Figo was ahead in this step.

After my back pain last year, I am more focused on seat comfort than before. The central console between front seats, near the gearbox, is excessively wide for the car. Adds to discomfort. While I was sitting on front co-passanger seat, my right leg was not at comfort due to the wide central console. It eats into footroom, and its the place where the front seat hits central console when brought forward.

My left hand was also not comfortable and was too near or hitting B-pillar.

Note : My overall build is heavy ( mentioned above ) and also my shoulders are relatively broad.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:05   #490
BHPian

Swami, I'd still request you to take a test drive. I used to do the same i.e. sit in a car parked in the showroom and make up my mind that it's not comfortable to drive. I realized that when we drive, our driving / resting position is different than when we just sit holding the steering wheel. If it's the seat width or something else, then ok. But if it's the overall position and ergonomics, I'll recommend you take the test drive and then decide.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 12:21   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Went to check out the car on Saturday evening at Planet Ford, Satara Road, Pune. Disappointed to know that they have not received a single Figo yet from Ford and are not expecting for the next 8 days, is what the SA told me. Which is weird from Ford to say the least. Here we have 2 great cars launched and people are actually turning to the showrooms to have a dekko and it's not available.
Has anyone checked out the new Figo in Pune? I am positively considering to book one. Which dealer out of the two (Planet Ford and Talera Ford) would be better, if anyone has any past experience?
Thanks!
Hi teemus. I faced a similar situation when I visited Ford dealership at S.B Road (Planet Ford) when the aspire had launched. To my surprise, It was almost empty! Forget about newly launched cars, there was not a single old car whereas the Maruti showroom at the corner in the same complex was abuzz with people and display/TD cars. I enquired about the Aspire and the saleswoman was honest and said that they hadn't received the new car yet and that I can check it out at the Yerawada showroom(which I later realised that it belongs to another dealer ie Talera).

Fast forward to visit to Talera Ford (Yerawada): The Figo aspire was indeed there at the showroom, the SA gave me all information and at the end when I enquired about all dealers/service centres of Ford in the city, the SA said that there are 2 main dealers namely Talera Ford and Planet Ford. You can check the locations from here:http://www.india.ford.com/locate-dealer. Also, the SA said that the owner of Planet Ford had taken loans worth crores and was now facing trouble. He showed me some whatsapp images of some financial documents mentioning crores of rupees but the images were too small and I was not interested in reading the entire thing in the first place (since the car had just launched and no reviews existed on the internet at that time, I had not made up if I should go ahead with this car). I have no idea if the images were true or otherwise, so I suggest you cross verify if needed. Also, I don't have any previous experience of any Ford dealership.

Now the issue is that Talera Ford seems to be the only functional dealer (again, Verify!) in the city and its service centre is very far away (Wagholi). So every time I have some issue with the car ( if I buy one from them) or for servicing, I will have to travel all the way to Wagholi to get it rectified/ serviced, though the SA said that pick and drop facility is available. Secondly, the SA said that the owner of Planet Ford was going to sell off his Ford dealership to someone else ( Again I don't know if its true), but if it's true then Talera may be the only functional dealer in the city in the meantime and what if his monopoly creates issues in terms of pricing of spares/ servicing.

Inspite of the Figo Aspire/ New Figo being great cars in their respective segment, the above confusion and probability of issues arising out of ownership have somewhat put me on back foot. I am waiting for pricing and TD of Baleno to take final call. Till then we may hopefully have 1st servicing review of Figo Aspire from Pune from KreativeGeek.

If you can verify the above information yourself, it will be helpful to you & other buyers from Pune also.
HolyDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 12:34   #492
BHPian

Thanks all for the answers.

One of the shocking news to me is, ABS is not available in MID variants. Top variants are very pricey.

I heard brakes on Swift VDI is poor but has ABS. On the other hand, Figo brakes (Trend TDCi) are good but does not have ABS. Which one you think is better ?

It is kind of disappointing that Ford is selling a 190 kmph hatchback without ABS. Is it possible to install ABS later or at the dealer ? Sorry if the question sounds stupid

Last edited by amvj : 28th September 2015 at 12:49. Reason: Added a question
Old 28th September 2015, 12:50   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

I heard brakes on Swift VDI is poor but has ABS.

It is kind of disappointing that Ford is selling a 190 kmph hatchback without ABS.
ABS brakes in Vdi is better, but not the tyres(165). So if it is the Swift, upgrade to better shoes(185/70).

Errrrr and if 190 kmph is your priority, kindly consider upgrading to segments much higher.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 14:15   #494
BHPian

I tagged along with a friend this weekend, who is in search for a hatch back. We checked the Ford Figo and below is my observation,

The Good
  • Pricing very nice.
  • Face Looks very nice.
  • Engine noise has reduced to a large extent when compared to previous Figo.
  • City drive-ability is very good and the car potters around the traffic without much effort (did not get to check very high speeds).
  • Good noise insulation.
  • Ground clearance - 174mm.
The Bad
  • The new Figo has lost its steering feel and good suspension from its predecessor.
  • The suspension feels stiffer and the potholes are being filtered in.
  • The rear bench is compromised. One can clearly see that seat has at least been cut by 30% when compared to the earlier Figo.
  • This smaller rear seat takes a beating in terms of under thigh support and feels cramped.
  • The compromise on the seats to make that leg room is pretty evident and I personally felt that the the body would take a toll on those long rides.
  • The front seats are pretty soft & thin, and when we squeezed the side bolstering we would feel the seat frame at the rear of the front seats.
  • 14 inch wheels on all trims (the export variant is getting 15 incher's).
  • Smaller boot.
What could have been better
  • Plastics could have been better.
  • The build quality could have been better.
  • ABS should have been provided on the lower variants as well.
  • The ingress and egress at the rear may not be too comfortable for senior citizens.
Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 14:50   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
ABS brakes in Vdi is better, but not the tyres(165). So if it is the Swift, upgrade to better shoes(185/70).

Errrrr and if 190 kmph is your priority, kindly consider upgrading to segments much higher.
Hey Thanks. Are you sure VDI brakes are better ?

Swift review in 2011 by GTO mentions that except ZXI and ZDI, all other variants are not having adequate brakes. Is this resolved by Maruti ?

No 190 KMPH is not my priority. I mean the car should have adequate features (ABS) for the speed it is capable of.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed