Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 21:13   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched

Motoroids have posted their review, and they are equally impressed with the 1.5L TDCi as well. The 1.5L DCT continues to have divided opinions.

1.5L DCT:

Quote:
The response from the engine at lower down the revs is decent, though the auto ‘box cuts in every time you try to bring the revs below 1400 rpm – shifting down a cog or two to push the revs up and aid responsiveness.

On the open expanse of the Yamuna Expressway, the engine showed us its capability, both as a relaxed cruiser and as a capable tool to shorten distances at a quick pace. To give you some perspective, the 1.5 litre engine allows the car to show a speedo indicated 80km/h while spinning at a lazy 2000 revs in top gear, and 100 kmph at 2500 revs – which should result in a good fuel efficiency figure. The large cubic capacity of the engine prevents it from feeling breathless even when loaded with passengers and hustled, making it a capable mile muncher even with entire family on board. It isn’t exactly a scorcher though, with a mild reluctance to rev hard and a sound note which isn’t exactly sporty.

While being in Sport mode, you can also shift manually using the + / – buttons on the drive selector. There is no Tiptronic kind of an arrangement here, though, making the experience of manual shifts somewhat un-tactile and video game-ish. While hustling the engine through cogs, the gearshifts are reasonably quick – not the quickest we have seen but appreciably responsive nonetheless.

A powerful engine, coupled with a capable 6-speed dual clutch auto makes the Figo a performer which is a notch above its segment peers. Show this baby an open expanse and hitting a genuine 180km/h should not be a problem. Having said that, it isn’t exactly an enthusiast’s delight, with the somewhat reticent nature of the engine leaving you with a feeling of wanting more out of it.

Within the city, the engine – tranny combo spells convenience making light work of stop start traffic. The automatic shifts are nice for the most part, except for those few rare occasions when the transmission couldn’t read the mild variations in throttle position and gets confused for a wee bit to hunt for the right gear.
1.5L TDCi:

Quote:
The abundant torque makes itself evident from the very base of the rev spectrum, allowing for a convenient city drive. Sure, it’s a turbo diesel, and there has to be some turbo lag, but Ford have tuned this engine exceptionally well to keep that vice to its lowest possible limit. You can trundle around in third gear with the rev needle sitting at a low 1100 rpm. Sure, the response at that point will be very limited, but the Figo will keep moving along with the city traffic without gasping or spluttering.

Response from the engine starts building up from 1300 revs, which is a very low point for most such diesel engines to operate smoothly. Thereon, the Figo diesel will keep building momentum at a steady, if not fast pace. The turbo spools up properly at 2000 rpm, after which you can feel yourself surfing the heady torque in an enjoyable manner. However, even below that point, the 1.5 TDCI engine behaves in a linear, tractable and responsive manner – presenting itself as a convenient car to drive within the city.

It is, however, when you show this one the open highways that it feels the most at home. The diesel torque doesn’t exactly kick you back in the seat, but the addictive surge from the motor is unmistakable. Redlined at 5000 rpm, the diesel motor delivers performance in abundance.

In early gears, the performance is strong across the rev range, fading away only towards the end (above 4000 rpm) in 4th and fifth gears. Even so, the Figo diesel is a deceptively quick car, and can attain crazy speeds without breaking much of a sweat. That engine has to be one of the very best we have in the hatchback segment, and going by the smile it managed to spread across our faces, we see it getting very popular, very fast among the enthusiasts. The icing on the cake is that it’s as tractable, as it’s fast – making it just the perfect choice for someone who’s looking for the right blend of everyday usability, great fuel efficiency (25.83 kmpl ARAI) and great performance.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new2015fordfigo1.5petrolinstrumentconsolepetrol2.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new2015fordfigoautomaticgearshifter.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new2015fordfigosyncscreen3.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new2015fordfigoacpanel.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new2015fordfigobootwithluggage.jpg

Motoroids (Full Review)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th September 2015 at 21:16.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 09:35   #512
Senior - BHPian

Happened to visit Satyam Ford on Ghodbunder Road, Thane to check out the New Figo for my friend. Unfortunately there was no TD car which would be available only after a week, it seems there was some registration issues. Checked the new Figo available at the showroom.
Few observations:
1) Was impressed with the build quality. The doors seemed so light yet there was not a section where it felt hollow. The bonnet definitely felt heavy but without any deadening pad inside. There was no engine protection plate and felt the road exposure.
2) The seats were plush and felt soft. The driving position felt great but under thigh support missing in the seats. the rear seats felt cramped with me and my friend siting and no space left for 3rd person. I am of the bigger frame but my friend was lean yet...
3) The HU was non existent, felt more like a telephone with lots of buttons and no display.
4) The aux input and USB post was inside the space in the box above the HU. Would be difficult to keep the mobile outside if connected to Aux.
5) The boot felt too less, 250lts space already occupied by jack and other things. Spare tyre neatly tucked in below the boot mat.
6) GC of 175 mm. Tyres still the 175/50 profile. Wheel well space exposed.

The car awaits to be drive to confirm if the famed handling and ride quality as seen in my earlier Fiesta is still there or not. Also whether the 1.5 l diesel engine makes the same amount of engine clatter as was the case with 1.4 lts engine.

Got this from my friend who was interested in the new Figo. This is the pricelist for the 1.5L diesel engine. Please note the prices for Thane are with LBT, however the LBT is no longer applicable for companies with net worth less than 50cr. Hence the LBT charges will have to be subtracted.
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-p_20150927_123646.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 22:43   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorbeam's review is out, and it's the same feedback yet again - the 1.5L TDCi is a fantastic unit and will keep the enthusiast in you very happy, while the 1.5L DCT is an impressive unit on it's own. The 1.2L Ti-VCT is best suited for in-city commuting.

Petrol units:

Quote:
So petrol duty is taken care by a 1.2-litre unit that generates 88 PS and 112 Nm, matched to a 5-speed gearbox. This motor has good low-end pep but isn’t the most urgent when you get out on the open road.

There is another petrol engine on offer, the bigger, more powerful and excise duty unfriendly 1.5-litre unit, only matched to a 6-speed PowerShift automatic gearbox. Producing 112 PS and 136 Nm, the real highlight is of course the gearbox which is a dual-clutch unit and thereby offers quick shifts and is very responsive to throttle inputs. It can be felt changing cogs at low speeds, the mill having good low-end performance, upshifting under 2500 RPM when driven normally. There are two modes – D and S, the latter inducing some more josh in the Figo. One can also shift gears manually using the lever mounted buttons, the cluster also displaying the gear position in Sports mode. The 1.5-litre petrol engine has good performance for the city as the autobox makes driving in stop-go traffic a breeze, something we really appreciated in the crowded city of Agra. The motor does become vocal in the top-end, redlining under 6500 RPM.

Diesel unit:

Quote:
The diesel engine is the tarmac scorching 1.5-litre unit which thrusts out a segment best 100 PS and 215 Nm, again identical to the Aspire whose performance we have praised endlessly. Low-end poke is plenty, lag is very well contained and the shove is so strong that at times you end up with a lot of wheel-spin. The motor has good city drivability and once out on the highway, this engine makes you grin ear to ear, the zest with which it picks up speed is truly fantastic, no hesitation in getting past the 150 km/hr mark. Aiding the fantastic mill is the smooth shifting 5-speed gearbox and light clutch, making easy work of driving. NVH levels are good too (slight diesel drone is present) and the ton comes up in under 10 seconds (being slightly lighter than the Aspire, it’s marginally quicker too), requiring at least third gear while at the same speed in top gear the needle hovers around the 2300 RPM mark, one nudge on the big pedal and overtaking is done in an instant.
Driving dynamics:

Quote:
The new Figo is lighter than the model is replaces and now uses an electric steering, it doesn’t have the same go-kart feel of the old model but is still a very fun car to drive with its engaging dynamics. Body control is very good, the steering has good feedback but isn’t as responsive and rich in feel as the old Figo, more so at straight-ahead position. The car does feel extremely stable at high speeds, staying glued to the tarmac and not giving passengers any hint of the speeds. Between the petrol and diesel, the extra weight of the oil burner made it feel more sure footed.

Ride quality is excellent too, the car dispatching bad bumps with ease and there is not much bounciness over expansion joints on concrete roads like the super fast Yamuna Expressway. The ground clearance is now a segment best 174 mm and thus the car won’t bottom out on speed-breakers, an issue faced on the old model. Brakes are strong, have good bite and pedal feel is positive, the tyres although smaller 175 mm on 14-inch rims, are grippy.
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-21188184944_1172a0aaf5.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-21623015218_3d59a92115.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-21189809563_9263c7ba0a.jpg

MotorBeam (Full review)
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:09   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

I test drove the new Figo Automatic today, the sales team from Malayalam Ford were nice enough to bring the car to my home since I couldnt visit the showroom. I drove the car through residential areas and typical city roads to try and gauge how well it performs in a city environment.

- The steering is nice and light which should make it a breeze to potter around town on the city commute. Women drivers will love it. Coming from the Punto, it does take some getting used to though.
- The engine certainly pulls well enough in the real world for someone like me. Didnt give it the stick due to the test drive conditions.
- S mode certainly gives it a little bit of a shove and using the +- to shift was easy and quick as well.
- Front seats are nicely scooped out to liberate leg room in the rear.
- Ford missed a slam dunk with the interiors of the automatic variant. They shouldve used the same interiors as the top end variant to give it a premium feel. Right now, one feels a little shortchanged by the interiors.
- Mileage in the double digits is what the sales rep was confidently quoting.
- No reverse sensors for the 1.5 automatic.
- Speakers were good enough for the average user. Audio enthusiasts will look for an upgrade soon.
- Add a nice sub to the boot and youre not looking at too much usable space at all.

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-p9308817-large.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-p9308815-large.jpg

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-p9308813-large.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 02:24   #515
BHPian

Hi,
I'm in the market for a good diesel hatch in the sub 8-8.5 lakhs' category and really happy to see that the Figo ticks almost all boxes for me. Had a few queries as well:

1. Will it void the warranty if I replace the stock tyres/ wheels with bigger 15-inch alloys & tyres?

2. Is it possible to change the stock I.C.E by chance?

I'm interested in the Titanium version only and just noticed that the brochure mentions that Titanium's MFD is a 2-line display instead of the 4.2" one on Titanium+. Is that a typo or has anybody noticed the difference ? I had my TD on a Titanium but didn't check unfortunately!

Regards.
Old 1st October 2015, 03:14   #516
Senior - BHPian

Can vouch for the 1.5 diesel, brilliant engine.
Old 1st October 2015, 09:34   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox View Post
Hi,
I'm in the market for a good diesel hatch in the sub 8-8.5 lakhs' category and really happy to see that the Figo ticks almost all boxes for me. Had a few queries as well:

1. Will it void the warranty if I replace the stock tyres/ wheels with bigger 15-inch alloys & tyres?

2. Is it possible to change the stock I.C.E by chance?

I'm interested in the Titanium version only and just noticed that the brochure mentions that Titanium's MFD is a 2-line display instead of the 4.2" one on Titanium+. Is that a typo or has anybody noticed the difference ? I had my TD on a Titanium but didn't check unfortunately!

Regards.
1. Yes the warranty gets void
2. Not sure. But ask them to give you a demo of surround sound with a video playing. You might change your mind!

4.2" display comes only with titanium+, all other models get My Ford Dock.
Personally, I would prefer the dock as it becomes convenient to double up your smart phone as navigation unit. The dock has a charger within it. No loose hanging wires!!!
Old 1st October 2015, 10:29   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
1. Yes the warranty gets void
2. Not sure. But ask them to give you a demo of surround sound with a video playing. You might change your mind!

4.2" display comes only with titanium+, all other models get My Ford Dock.
Personally, I would prefer the dock as it becomes convenient to double up your smart phone as navigation unit. The dock has a charger within it. No loose hanging wires!!!

Thanks for the info, so the 2 line display on Titanium is just the display on the console with only the Dock on top, right?
Wish the car came with a 15" wheel option too.

Regards.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:45   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

That's quite a looker which just needs some fat rubber and nice alloys. Pleasant to see a non-quirky hatch after a while.

The head unit in the non Titanium+ version has cheap written all over it.

Last edited by kiku007 : 1st October 2015 at 10:47.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:41   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox View Post
Hi,
Warranty gets void only if you change it to 15" and suspension warranty will not be affected if you upsize keeping the same rim size. Our friendly mod Mobike008 confirmed this from his SA, refer this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3808030

Last edited by DragonHawk : 1st October 2015 at 11:43.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 12:20   #521
SJN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Thank you HolyDriver and ajnagpur for the info!

Indeed it's confirmed that Planet Ford has lost it's dealership. I had called up Ford Customer Care and they listed only 2 dealers in Pune, Talera Ford and Sai Sakshi Ford. Same is confirmed by the full page ad in a local daily today.

If anyone is planning for a Ford vehicle in Pune, please avoid Planet Ford.

The new dealer beside Sayaji Hotel is Sai Sakshi if I am not mistaken. Though the SA from Planet Ford said that Sai Sakshi is a sister concern but I am not sure. Will be visiting both the dealers on the weekend to check out Figo and to decide amongst the two (if Figo has a go ahead from everyone in the family ).
I was faced with same problem with Aspire. Planet Ford did not have TD car and were not sure when they will get one. Talera Ford did give a TD but were quite rude, inflexible and were not ready to negotiate any charges at all.

Finally, I checked out Sai Sakshi Ford and ended up booking my car there. Expecting delivery soon! Let me know if anybody needs more details about the dealer.
SJN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:20   #522
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam has a 'Test Drive Report' of the 2015 Ford Figo.

The Link

Personally, favorite part of the entire read was about the 1.5 TDCI Figo:

"Low-end poke is plenty, lag is very well contained and the shove is so strong that at times you end up with a lot of wheel-spin. The motor has good city drivability and once out on the highway, this engine makes you grin ear to ear, the zest with which it picks up speed is truly fantastic, no hesitation in getting past the 150 km/hr mark. Aiding the fantastic mill is the smooth shifting 5-speed gearbox and light clutch, making easy work of driving. NVH levels are good too (slight diesel drone is present) and the ton comes up in under 10 seconds (being slightly lighter than the Aspire, it’s marginally quicker too), requiring at least third gear while at the same speed in top gear the needle hovers around the 2300 RPM mark, one nudge on the big pedal and overtaking is done in an instant."

So I believe it is safe to say that we have 3 hot hatches in India today that can do a ton in about/under 10secs:

- Punto Abarth

- Polo GT TSI

- Figo 1.5 TDCI
Gives a new meaning to the phrase "Spoilt for Choice"!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st October 2015 at 13:29.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 01:15   #523
BHPian

Checked out the Ford Figo hatch in a quick 10 min window at Wasan Ford, Chembur, Mumbai.
A 1.2 Petrol Titanium was on display in Sparkling Gold.

T.D would be only available from October 4th.
And both Petrol and Diesel T.D's would be available from that date.
They were not sure of accessories, but said Aspire accessories would be available for the hatch at similar prices.
  • Still not a fan of the Sparkling Gold
  • Mixed feeling about the styling,loved at the rear and the front left me wanting more after EcoSport experience. (Maybe in 2012 I would've totally loved the styling of the car)
  • Good Quality feel
  • Was not impressed with the Head Unit in the top end. (Take a note from the Kwid Ford!)
  • Personally loved the seating position it offered. (Felt tailored, maybe its the EcoSport)
  • Surprised by the 10 year warranty for the 6 speed DCT !

Variant wise feature list
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new-doc-7_3.jpg

Petrol Figo hatch prices (Mumbai prices)
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new-doc-7_1.jpg

Diesel Figo hatch prices(Mumbai prices)
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-new-doc-7_2.jpg

Last edited by johannskaria : 2nd October 2015 at 01:27.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:59   #524
SJN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyDriver View Post
Figo headroom is just ok. My head was touching the roof on sitting upright. I think the roof slopes down at the rear and also at the sides, so when seated 3 at the rear, the people at the side will have to bear with side sloping roof whereas middle one has to bear with the transmission tunnel. I need to re check if the roof slopes sideward (in Figo) since I didn't check it back to back in both cars. still I think Aspire had better headroom.
I specifically checked out the headroom between Aspire and Figo since they look similar from the outside. I am 6' and my head was directly touching the roof in rear seat of Figo. But that was not the case in Aspire. It seems that either the seat or roof design is different in Figo.
One of the few differences between the twins!
SJN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:57   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

I test drove DCT today, I have come out with mixed reaction. Ride was bumpy for passenger sitting behind at 80 kmph, I felt it was good. Gears change seem a little lethargic for a dual clutch 110 BHP engineb in D mode, works much much better in Sports mode.

Manual control on gears is good as well, though would have loved the position to be on the steering like triptronic.

The drive overall from a driver prespective is plush, I was able to get used to steering and found a comfortable sitting position in less then 30 seconds . AC felt good, did not test the music system.

Suspension is very good and it took to rough patches and Potholes with ease. Overall I am impressed with the car and I think it has all the making for a great city car. Cost of 7.05 lacs ex showroom is very good as well.

I think for bumpy ride behind tyre pressure could be a reason, SA will get it checked and I will go for another TD.

Need to TD zest XTA tomorrow and also waiting for Baleno to launch end of October to take a final decision.

Alternative option could be sell city and go for ecosport or Creta automatic.

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd October 2015 at 18:59.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks